Shimon Peres elected Israeli PM

Shimon Peres was twice Israeli PM, although he never won an election (he became PM the first time in 1977 after Rabin had to resign, the second time in 1984, sharing the term with Shamir, and the third time shortly in 1995 after Rabin's assassination). In fact, he lost at the elections five(!) times - in 1977, 1981, 1984 (this was closest to a win - Labor was strongest, but they couldn't govern alone and had to make a coalition with Likud), 1988 and 1995 again.

How much would Israel's politics be changed if he had one the one or other election?

Max Sinister said:
Shimon Peres was twice Israeli PM, although he never won an election (he became PM the first time in 1977 after Rabin had to resign, the second time in 1984, sharing the term with Shamir, and the third time shortly in 1995 after Rabin's assassination). In fact, he lost at the elections five(!) times - in 1977, 1981, 1984 (this was closest to a win - Labor was strongest, but they couldn't govern alone and had to make a coalition with Likud), 1988 and 1995 again.

How much would Israel's politics be changed if he had one the one or other election?

I think that direct election of the PM came into effect in Israel in the last 10 years of so. I don't recall exactly when, but prior to that time, meaning at some point when Peres was in charge, the PM was the choice of the political party receiving the most seats in the Knesset. So if Peres was leader of Labor and Labor got more seats, he would be PM. In the election in which they made the deal, I think Labor and Likud got more or less the same number of seats, so there was no clear winner.