MotF 87: Smells Like Team Spirit

Krall

Banned
Smells Like Team Spirit

The Challenge
Make a map showing a geographic distribution of sports teams.

The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when your PoD or map may be set. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed, but blatantly implausible (ASB) maps are not.

The sports teams you show may be from any sport (whether from OTL or not), or any number of different sports. Both professional and amateur teams are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me.

---

The entry period for this round shall end on Saturday the 9th of November.

---

THIS THREAD IS FOR ENTRIES ONLY.

Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post. If you refuse to delete the post, post something that is clearly disruptive or malicious, or post spam then you may be disqualified from entering in this round of MotF and you may be reported to the board's moderators.

Remember to vote on the previous round of MotF!

I had made a 48 team MLB in this same style, for that Sports Leagues Expansion/Realignment thread we have in non-pol chat, but I was afraid it would fall under the category of "blatantly implausible". So here is a more modest attempt, which was also done for that same thread.

The American League and National League of Major League Baseball, in the year 2036. Done in Wikipedia style. There are three divisions in each league, with six teams in each division, for a total of 36 teams. There is no interlague play during the regular season.

AL Teams:

East Division
Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Baltimore Orioles, Charlotte Lions, Tampa Bay Rays

Central Division
Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twins, Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals, Nashville Flash

West Division
Calgary Stampede, Seattle Mariners, Oakland Athletics, Los Angeles Angels, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros

NL Teams:

East Division
Montréal Expos, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, Miami Marlines

Central Division
Pittsburgh Pirates, Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Brewers, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Austin Cowboys

West Division

Vancouver Canadians, Colorado Rockies, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks

A more modest MLB.png

Here's my entry, The main POD is that Football (Soccer) becomes the most popular sport on the North-American continent, they also draw more influence from Europe.

All North-American nations have some kind of Football Competition but The New England Premiership is considered to be one of the top leagues to play in. It's also considered to have the most tradition and the most long standing rivalries. Take for example the city of Boston which is split in two when Boston F.C and Boston City face off during "The Boston Classic". Also some clubs like Providence FC, Sporting New Haven and the Cambridge Wanderers have strong ties with receptively Brown,Yale and Harvard Universities. So those games are relatively high profile. But some teams needed to bury the hatchet to survive. Like when Lewiston F.C went under and had to merge with Auburn United just across the river and went to go on under the name of Androscoggin FC.

2em0d5k.jpg

As my original idea was a New England soccer league which Xibalba gazumped me to, I said I'd do a New Scotland one. Well Nova Scotia is a bit small on its own so I expanded it into the Maritimes Union - Gaspé, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Martimes Union Acadia Bank Premier League 2013-14 Season Poster

A poster for the 2013-14 season of the Maritimes Union's Acadia Bank Premier League, the highest profession soccer division in the country. The badges of all of the league's 12 clubs, plus their colours, locations and previous league titles are shown.

maritimes_union_premier_league_poster_by_rubberduck3y6-d6thr33.png

Last edited:
EDIT: Apologies for the large image...

This is a large poster for the inaugural Scandinavian Hockey League season, depicting the teams and their locations.

The idea for the SHL was born in 2006 between the hockey federations of Finland and Sweden. The original plan was to have eight finnish and swedish teams in the Nordic Hockey League (the working title of the series) and the first season would have been 2009-2010. The fans loved the idea of an united championship but there were complaints about the name. The fans thought it was too easy to confuse with the National Hockey League. Then it was decided to name the series Scandinavian Hockey League. However, the league failed to play the first season, due to different issues with the teams. The league was put on hold. In 2011 it was announced, that the Scandinavian Hockey League would start in 2013 with teams from Finland, Sweden and Norway. Four teams from Norway and six teams from Sweden and Finland each. The teams were selected by giving points for their position in their own national standing from 2009-10 to 2012-13 (5-4-3-2-1) with the score of the last year doubled in order to have the best teams in the series.

The series has two conferences, western and eastern. The western confrence has the norwegian teams and four swedish, the eastern has the finnish teams and two swedish.

The season is devided between the regular season and the play-offs. The best three from each conference after the regular season move to the combined play-offs where the winners of . The play-off format is best-of-three, except for the final, which is best-of-seven.

After the season, the two worst teams are relegated to their respective natinal series from where the replacements are promoted.

87qk.png

red ärächnid's 1988 Red Rucker tour

From the red ärächnid Universe
(For Part 1 from MotF 77, which goes into red ärächnid's 1987 Red Venom tour, see here.)

---------------------------------------------------
red ärächnid's 1988 Red Rucker Tour

"Larry! I got an idea for red ärächnid's next tour! Come see this map!"

"Dude. That's a RNL Map on a Pancake Palace placemat."

"Yeah. I'm working on my life goal to see a home game for every RNL team. We can book gigs in the same cities."

"You want to build our tour around seeing rugby matches?"

"Yeah, dude. Life goal."

"Using a map from a national chain of breakfast diners."

"Yeah, dude. LIFE GOAL. So I've already been to a few. When we were out for Red Venom, I got to see a Bandits game in Green Bay. Best seats EVER, by the way. And I saw--"

"Wait. You went to see the Bandits while we were in Green Bay?"

"Yeah. And I saw a Lakers game with my dad in Detroit but that was before they were relegated in '85, so that doesn't count."

"No, you went to see a Bandits game at Pulaski Stadium?"

"Yeah. See, I figure we can go down the Pacific Coast. Catch a game in Columbia or St John. Maybe one in San Fran. One in L.A. Then swing over and do a gig in North Pass to see the Rattlers."

"Without me. You went to a game at Pulaski without me."

"Larry. Focus. Santa Fe doesn't have a major league team, but we can get a gig there. It's the capital of Cimarron and it has a great music scene and it's on the way to Platte City to see the Bison."

"Wait a minute."

"Yeah, I know. I've been studying state capitals. All 59 of them. I thought you'd be impressed, Mr. Drummer Geography."

"No, this was last June. This was the game against the Lumberjacks. The one where they were tied into injury time and Kev Jackson scored a try putting the Bandits ahead, in front of 80,000 screaming fans."

"Yeah, but that's not important for the tour. See, I don't think we can do the whole league -- not in one tour. We might have to leave the East Coast for another time. Reggie said that he can't book us that many dates."

"Jesus. You went to the game without me."

"But we might be able to hook a Iowa Farmboys match. They're fresh up from Division A this year."

"Bandits vs Lumberjacks. Without me. You're such an ass."

"Larry. Buddy. Chill."

"I'm not going to chilll. That's my favorite team and they were playing St Croix and-- Why the hell are you smiling?"

"Because, dude, I'm yanking your chain. I was with you that night setting up in that craphole of a bar. Remember? You might know alot about drumming and maps, but you're so easy to rile when you talk about your Bandits. Besides, I have these."

"Dude. No way."

"Yeah. Bandits tickets. At Pulaski. Against the Rebels. Tomorrow night."

"10-meter line."

"Yeah."

"Okay, grab the damn placemat. We'll plan on the way to the match. But the tour has to start in St John."

"Why?"

"Think about it."

"Dude. They're the Spiders!"

"Yeah."

"And their colors are red and black! Just like ours!"

"Yeah."

"Rugby and metal go awesome together."

"Yeah."

"Dude, this is going to be the best tour ever."

redrucker.jpg

Last edited: