Welsh colony in Palestine

Its summer 1865, a ship the Mimosa with 153 Welsh settlers aboard, arrives of the coast of Palestine- there intent to create a Little Wales beyond Wales away from English influence.

most of the settlers are brickworkers, craftsmen tradesmen etc- few are farmers, only one has any medical training.

Okay as i mentioned in the european miniorites in Australia thread, this band of people actually settled in Patagonia laying the foundations for a Welsh enclave there-

but they did in fact consider a number of places inc Australia and Palestine:eek:

the details above are from Wikipedia (cant seem to do a link)

I've rushed this thread its late and i need to retire, I swear to try and research this but anyone got any idea of a place in Palestine they could try and settle-empty but capable of supporting them, also i've tried to find this out but cant what were the rulers of the area (Ottomans right?) like at this time- is there a chance they'd wlecome them or would the intrepid welshmen and women end up dead.

I'll try some research on this when i get a chance but anyone got any suggestions ideas?

Keenir

Banned
birdie said:
but they did in fact consider a number of places inc Australia and Palestine:eek:

I've rushed this thread its late and i need to retire, I swear to try and research this but anyone got any idea of a place in Palestine they could try and settle-empty but capable of supporting them, also i've tried to find this out but cant what were the rulers of the area (Ottomans right?) like at this time- is there a chance they'd wlecome them or would the intrepid welshmen and women end up dead.

I'll try some research on this when i get a chance but anyone got any suggestions ideas?

personally, I think the Ottomans would rejoyce(sp) at the prospect of these Europeans settling in Palestine -- it would be a shield which Istanbul could wield against the pressures of the other Great Powers.

after all, the Welsh wouldn't have any beef with the Ottomans, they wouldn't be taking sides in any internal-Empire disputes (though they might come to side with their Ottoman hosts), and several Welshmen might even become Vizier or Prime Minister of the Empire itself (both from individual talent & pressure by outside).

just my hunch, though.

Hm, there were roughly 411,000 people, mostly Arabs, in Palestine in 1860 according to my sources, so it doesn't seem too likely that the Welsh would become a majority in the province any time soon...

How settled were the coastal areas that form the most populated parts of Israel today? I mean, I know Jewish settlers were able to move in during the mandate period in large numbers, could the Welsh do the same? Though there's also the problem of convincing a larger number of Welsh to immigrate.

on population, by WW1 only 4000 or so Welsh were actually in Patagonia, maybe all they want is a small area to maintain their own customs?

birdie said:
Its summer 1865, a ship the Mimosa with 153 Welsh settlers aboard, arrives of the coast of Palestine- there intent to create a Little Wales beyond Wales away from English influence.

most of the settlers are brickworkers, craftsmen tradesmen etc- few are farmers, only one has any medical training.

Okay as i mentioned in the european miniorites in Australia thread, this band of people actually settled in Patagonia laying the foundations for a Welsh enclave there-

Maybe the Welsh decide they are a "lost tribe of Israel" after having arrived in Palestine?

birdie said:
on population, by WW1 only 4000 or so Welsh were actually in Patagonia, maybe all they want is a small area to maintain their own customs?
Yes, but it's always a good idea to have a large population... It makes it easier to have an independent Wales in OTL Israel... :p

How does this affect Zionism?