Partitioning Germany after World War II

Now the Create Our Treaty of Versailles thread is dead and buried, what about breaking up Germany after the other war?

Would the Allies or Soviets decided to break up either half of Germany even more? Since I think the Morgenthau Plan would be incredibly hard to enforce, shattering the country into four or five sections would be a much easier way of ensuring it doesn't rise up anytime soon.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they would have done the same to Italy had they been more tenacious and Nordic-like.

Well some here would argue they did partition Germany more, since we have Germany and Austria...

Hm, we could have states based on occupation zones- Austria is likely to exist on it's own anyway, though, and the French Occupation zone (Rhineland-Palatinate and the southern half of Baden-Wurrtemburg) isn't contiguous and wouldn't make a good state. Perhaps if the zones are drawn differently...

This map is probably implausible, just throwing it out there.

ger)stat.png

Or Japan, which fought even more fanatical than Germany. But then you've got the emperor problem again: Whatever happens, don't take him away, or chaos ensues. Of course, Stalin may still demand his people's republic of Hokkaido.

But back to topic. Four or five states? I think we had several suggestions about that in the past already... but here's mine:

- Rhineland, Ruhr, coast of the German Sea and some connecting lands under itnernational control (at least as long as heavy industry is still important)
- Bavaria
- Baden-Württemberg
- maybe a center state consisting of Hesse, Thuringia and Saxony
- the rest, Prussia (but it'll need another name... after our WW2, the Allies declared Prussia to be dissolved because they associated it with German nationalism and militarism). Greater Brandenburg maybe?
And Austria, of course. Maybe united with Bavaria?

You could go with a lesser version of the Kaufman plan (as in: don't sterilisate, but try the partition & absorption part). See attachement.

Kaufmap.png

Imajin said:
Well some here would argue they did partition Germany more, since we have Germany and Austria...

Hm, we could have states based on occupation zones- Austria is likely to exist on it's own anyway, though, and the French Occupation zone (Rhineland-Palatinate and the southern half of Baden-Wurrtemburg) isn't contiguous and wouldn't make a good state. Perhaps if the zones are drawn differently...

This map is probably implausible, just throwing it out there.
That Prussia dosent really have any of Prussia in it...

It doesn't include any of the Provinces of Prussia, but Liechtenstein doesn't include Castle Liechtenstein...

I just don't think that a state that dosent include 'East' Prussia or anything East of the Oder should be able to call itself Prussia.

Well it should have been more like England being able to govern most of the northeastern parts, france the southeast, east by americans, and Hesse and Bavaria govern themselves (*note i wish it would have been like that) but nooooooo my family was seperated by some dumbass wall by the russians a few years later

Kabraloth said:
You could go with a lesser version of the Kaufman plan (as in: don't sterilisate, but try the partition & absorption part). See attachement.
One of the Allies' aims at the end of the Second World War was to put all Germans into Germany. That way it would stop them having the causus belli that Fuhrer Hitler had used against some of his neighbours. It was supposed to be an orderly process taking place over the fifties and very early sixties!!!!;)

Michael B said:
One of the Allies' aims at the end of the Second World War was to put all Germans into Germany. That way it would stop them having the causus belli that Fuhrer Hitler had used against some of his neighbours. It was supposed to be an orderly process taking place over the fifties and very early sixties!!!!;)
Well, they missed Austria then... ;)

I know the people from baden wurtenburg would not like being part of the bavarian free state, big rivalry there.

The Austrians wanted to be independent of Germany again. The experience of Anschluss under Hitler hadn't been pleasant after all. Not to mention that they wanted to claim that they were "Hitler's First Victim"...

Besides Bavaria, which portion of Germany before and after WWII had the strongest regionalist movement? Brandenburg? Saxony? Baden-Württemberg? Hesse? The Rhineland? The Ruhr?

Churchill did had a crazy idea of re-establishing Hanover at one stage, I expect as a Republic though given his tendancy to silly ideas sometimes I wouldn't have put it past him to suggest it as a monarchy!