• wilcoxchar

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Olthy

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krall

Banned
Not many maps this time 'round, but well varied; we had maps with unusual map projections, street maps, and geographic maps in addition to standard political maps.

This is the first time we've experimented with discussion in the entries thread itself, so I apologise if it's hard to find entries amongst the multitude of posts. Images are only allowed in the entries thread as part of entries, so that should help you discern which posts are and are not entries. :)

Entries thread:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=273920
Main thread:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=170373

Note: modelcitizen's entry was disqualified for being implausible (ASB).

Krall

Banned
Posted some information at the top of my map.
Voted for wilcoxchar, anyway :)

Hmm, that's technically editing an entry after the entry period closes - which is not allowed - but it's never been clear whether that rule extends to descriptions rather than just maps. Your entry was first posted very close to the deadline anyway, so I'll let it slide.

What did you like about wilcoxchar's map, if I may ask? :)

I voted for Alex Richards because railways + the Russian Civil War = epicness, but I also really liked Pisch's and lock's entries. And modelcitizen's entry was hilarious - too bad it didn't meet the requirements.

Hmm, that's technically editing an entry after the entry period closes - which is not allowed - but it's never been clear whether that rule extends to descriptions rather than just maps. Your entry was first posted very close to the deadline anyway, so I'll let it slide.

What did you like about wilcoxchar's map, if I may ask? :)

Um, sorry:(
Oh, both the way it was drawn and it's personal style.

I went for Pischinovski because the small scale detailed city map that still stayed uncluttered really stood out among the larger scale ones.

The basic element of design (blobby mountain areas) was good in Wilcoxchar's, but I found that I just didn't have any geographic context to work out where it was meant to be.

Olthy's was a good first attempt, but some of the colour-text contrasts didn't quite work, and I think some arrows on the lines would help to give direction (which can be quite easily done on Paint.Net)

And there were good ideas in the others.

I voted for lock, because I'm a sucker for alternate US state borders. But I almost didn't vote for him when I saw Toledo, MIC...;)

Krall

Banned
I don't mean to be a Grammar Nazi or anything, but aren't all maps geographic?

Hmm, I guess they are. What I meant was maps showing the physical features of the area shown (mountains, rivers, deserts, etc.) - maybe "topographic" would be more accurate?

Hmm, I guess they are. What I meant was maps showing the physical features of the area shown (mountains, rivers, deserts, etc.) - maybe "topographic" would be more accurate?

That's a kind of height map. I really have no idea what to call the kind of map you describe (which I'm guessing is a reference to modelcitizen's now-disqualified entry).

Krall

Banned
That's a kind of height map. I really have no idea what to call the kind of map you describe (which I'm guessing is a reference to modelcitizen's now-disqualified entry).

I was referring to wilcoxchar's entry; modelcitizen's map looks like a satellite image to me. :p

I liked wilcoxchar's map--it reminds me of the sort of thing you'd see as part of an exhibit at some local history museum.

So is there some sort of consolation prize for winning the aborted "ignore" poll? ...I'm tied for first in it with one vote. (And I didn't even vote in it!) Ha ha! :)

Krall

Banned
So is there some sort of consolation prize for winning the aborted "ignore" poll? ...I'm tied for first in it with one vote. (And I didn't even vote in it!) Ha ha! :)

You get one of these:

060.png

You also get to eat at the adult table, but you still have to use plastic cutlery. :p