TLIAD: Centuries of Shadow

Jasper Morrison swept through the great city's streets in his carriage, eager to reach his destination. The spokes of his vehicle crashed over cobblestones and spattered through the muck, his driver giving no heed to those in its path. But the people who milled in the streets knew to get out of the way. They scurried into the alley ways, and stood gaping as Morrison passed, the driver bellowing at his horses to ever greater haste. In his wake, the paupers filtered back onto the street, back to hawking their wares.

Turning a corner, the carriage slowed, and Morrison looked out of the window. Before them was a vast warehouse, around which hundreds of men were milling in and out. Morrison stepped out as his driver came to a halt. He struck an impressive figure. A full six feet tall, he wore a finely tailored suit, with a pale cream top hat. He carried a silver topped cane, and his boots were heeled with metal that clinked as he strode toward the warehouse.

The men (and they were invariably men) who stood in and around the the building were a mixed crowd, of old and new money, many were poorly dressed and many were simply poor. But here, they were all the same, all seeking the same objective.

Inside, there were several different halls, above which there were signs indicating what was for sale within. House. Field. Factory. Bed. And more. He passed into the hall marked Factory. The room was large and dingy at the same time, and full of people. There was a large high stage so that all the men seating in the pews in front of it could see. Sawdust covered the floor, soaking up the mud of the outside, and the tobacco juice spat out by many of the men sitting watching the stage.

The stage was well-lit, and bestriding it was a corpulent man in a straining tweed suit. Luminous red hair sprouted from his chin and cheeks, and his face was empurpled from drink and his bellowing to the crowd below him. Every so often, he pulled out a hankerchief and mopped the sweat from his brow. Next to him stood a thin black man, shackles round his ankles, dressed in little more than a breech clout. The auctioneer was desperately attempting to get the crowd excited, but Morrison could tell that the slave was too thin for proper factory work, and indeed was probably too old. Eventually, some halfwit bought the man and he was hustled off into a pen to await transport. Next up was a young Chinaman. Now the crowd got excited, and Morrison started bidding.

Morrison had recently inherited a valuable mine, and wanted to buy some slaves to get to work on it. While he could rent some indentured labour locally, he thought it likely that they would just try to escape, and he would lose money. Instead, he would buy up his own slaves at a greater expense, but with greater security. Over the following hours, he bought up about forty slaves, from various backgrounds, from black slave to Asian coolie to white penal servitor. The majority were Chinamen, as he had good stories about their abilities from his friends in the railway companies.

Eventually, he decided he had enough for his mine, and passed to the back of the hall, where he pressed a coin into an overseer’s fist, telling him to take his slaves to one of the pens outside the auction halls. From there, he entered the Field Hall. He hoped that if he bought up some old experienced field hands on the cheap and the promise of freedom they could help him ascertain whether or not there was any agricultural value in his land.

The Field Hall was much larger and the slaves were primarily black. There was a smattering of Indians, and the few usual white debtors or criminals, but the general consensus was that Africans were the last word in agricultural utility. He bought up the most wizened greybeards, at a higher price than the auctioneer clearly expected. When he collected his deeds of purchase, for the six slaves he had bought, the man goggled at him and wondered aloud at his mental health. Morrison just smiled and guided his slaves outside.

With them, he walked over to the pen the overseers had put his Factory slaves in. With a few cool words, the overseers began moving them into carts for transport to the temporary tenaments that they would be housed in before transportation to his mine. He had his aged fieldhands put on a separate cart for transport to his country house. The overseers were rough bearded men, dressed in rough cotton and thick leather, coiled whips at their belts. The white slaves were the most recalcitrant and the only ones that the overseers had to do anything other than rest their hands on their whips as motivation.

As the convoy of carts set off for the tenaments, Morrison strode over to the cart that housed his fieldhands.

‘You may be wondering why I have paid such an unnecessary amount of money for such aged specimens as yourselves. The answer is simple. I don’t want you to work my fields for I have none. But I do have land, and I want to know whether it will make good farming land one day. All of you are experienced and know the quality of farming soil and you are from a wide range of farming backgrounds.

‘If you work well, and I can ascertain confidently that your advice is good advice, then I will free you and make you tenants of my land, and I will demand nothing more than monthly rent.’ One of the slaves spoke up.

‘Even if we are free, we ain’t gunna be happy. Allus had families, and allus been forced away from ‘em. Iffn you can find us our families, then we’ll gladly help you, free or not.’ The other slaves nodded emphatically. Morrison was mildly annoyed by the man’s impertinence, but realised that if planted the land not only with crops but with families feudally tied to his by honour then he had the beginnings of a healthy aristocratic pedigree of his own.

‘Fair enough. If you perform your jobs well, I will track down your families to the best of my ability. But from now on, I am your Master, and it would be wise not to forget that.’ The slaves tugged their forelocks and mumbled ‘Massa’ under their breaths. Morrison smiled wickedly, enjoying the sensation of power. He hopped off the cart, and mounted his carriage.

Jasper Morrison was confident in the success of his venture. No longer would he be just the third son of Lord Morrison. Thanks to the death of a distant relative in Australia, and his fulfilment of the will’s conditions where his brothers had failed, he now had the opportunity to become a noble in his own right. If he could successfully exploit such a sparsely populated region, he was assured to become one of the Empire’s greatest aristocrats. And that would really be one in the eye for his father and brothers. And if that meant making non-whites the base of his new gentry, so be it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah. If you thought that America* in DoD was nasty and perpetuated slaveocracy in an unpleasant fashion, imagine a British Empire that throttled abolitionism in its cradle, and rose to its position of Imperial supremacy built upon slavery as an article of faith. All the world has to look forward to is centuries of shadow. The POD is way back in the 1750s when a court case over slave ownership in the UK goes to the Lords, and they rule that slave ownership is legal. From there, the British American colonies never gain independence, and the Natives are squashed with no consideration after the Seven Years War. Slavery spreads from the Caribbean to Britain and thence to Australia, and all across the Empire. The reform acts never took place as the Enlightenment whithered away. Cotton and tobacco planters in the South bought their seats in the Commons. By 1911, the Commons exists as a forum for Imperial trading companies, sufficiently wealthy landowners from all across the Empire, and the greatest boroughs of the Imperial sprawl, while the Lords is the supreme House in Parliament. Peers from all across the Empire sit here, and is the more partisan house, while the Commons is mostly united in their thirst for profit and white supremacy.

This sounds interesting. Will be watching.

Hello there, Mumby.

Yes indeed, DoD's *U.S. was more than a little screwy & strange in many aspects, and not just the outright slavery of black folks, either.....

But this.....holy smokes, my friend, this just takes the cake! This may even be something that rivals the flagship works of Steve Stirling himself! :eek: :cool: (Not to mention my fascination with darker British Empire TLs.....there's way too many of the "oh-so-nice" variety in terms of TLs of this type, IMHO. Nice to see a little balance, IMO)

Decades of Darkness, British Style. Always wanted to see one of these.

so the squashing of the Amerinidans obviously would lead them to become slaves, i am guessing?

Decades of Darkness, British Style. Always wanted to see one of these.

And speaking of that, this also reminds me of a map/TL concept by Royal_Psycho on DevArt which is basically a re-imagined Code Geass & Puritan World mixed together, with elements of DoD and other timelines added in.

the_empire_of_god_by_royalpsycho-d5lin3e.png

Pretty interesting, if you ask me. :)

Whats this?

Its a Timeline in a Day.

Yes, we know. But you did this ages ago. Why are doing the traditional internal monologue now?

Because it wasn't traditional then! That was when there were only a few TLIADs, and this got passed over.

And we care because..?

You're mean. I didn't realise that TLIADs really ought to take longer than a day, and its unlikely people are going to appreciate an idea if its literally just one post. So I'm going to do some more work set in the Centuries of Shadow universe.

Are you sure you aren't just leaping on a convenient bandwagon?

Of course I am! Now I can take my place alongside the leading lights of AH.com, and bask in their reflected glory! Or this could just become one of masses such TLs suddenly popping up all over the place.

So tell us about Centuries of Shadow.

Its simple enough. The British never abolish slavery, and as time progresses, the institution grows to become integral to the Empire, which expands and rules as a racially segregated empire which looks at the US from DoD and says they're wimps.

Sounds a bit dark for you.

Happy shiny universes are boring. Everybody knows that.

I suppose this puts paid to the idea that all TLIADs are about 20th century British politics. You just had to go and throw a spanner in the works!

Yes I did. Though I like to think this is more like one of those anecdotes which technically refute everything a tradition is built upon, but in actual fact are ignored. What with a POD in the 18th century and all. But at least its British!

Somersett's Case

A defining, if little known, point in British legal history. James Somersett, a Negro slave, was purchased by Charles Stewart, a customs officer, in Boston, Massachusetts Bay. When he returned to England in 1769, he brought Somersett with him. In 1771, the slave escaped. When recaptured, as punishment, Stewart made arrangements to have the runaway shipped to Jamaica for plantation labour. However, three individuals claiming to be his godparents emerged and made an application before the King's Bench for a writ of habeas corpus. Somersett was brought forth, so a court could judge whether his imprisonment was legal.

When it came down to it, the case was fought on legal details rather than principles. The advocates for Somersett argued that nowhere in common law or statute law was slavery permitted, which meaned it was by extension illegal. However, the advocates for Stewart pointed out, that this leap of logic was not extended towards other laws. While Somersett attracted the attention of various churchmen and other troublemakers, Stewart's case soon attracted the patronage of many noble leaders in Britain and her then colonies.

It was pointed out that if slavery were not permitted in England, it would disrupt trade with the colonies who were explicitly permitted to keep slaves. Who knew how much valuable revenue could be lost? Lord Mansfield leaned more towards Somersett's case, but soon came under pressure from a lobby in Westminster who wanted to at any cost keep the colonies in America happy. There had been some talk in what were then distant provinces of breaking from the mother country, and if slavery were abolished in England it would only endanger the crucial institution's maintenance in the colonies, and in that case they could have decided to have taken that massive step.

As it was, Lord Mansfield concluded that to all intents and purposes the 1729 Yorke-Talbot slavery opinion was the relevant one in common law. However, he adjusted the judgement by also taking in the opinion of Holt in 1702, that 'one may be a villein in England, but not a slave'. Basically, Lord Mansfield confirmed that a slave could be compelled to return to the colonies if returned to England. Baptism was also confirmed not to infer manumission. However, he added the caveat that slavery itself did not exist in Britain, but villeinage did. If they remained there any longer than two years, the slave became a villein, still bonded to their master but with more rights.

Due to this judgement, Somersett was judged to be a villein. His sale as a plantation labourer was judged to be illegal, and instead Stewart was forced to keep him in his employ. Ultimately, the two men couldn't stand being in the same room with each other after such a tumult, and Stewart settled Somersett on a small farm in Massachusetts, gaining a portion of Somersett's profits.

interesting.

Reminds me of a case where a slave from the US escaped in England and his owner tried to have him returned.

Still nice pod.

Villeinage and serfdom

Most prevalent in the Home Islands of the British Empire, due to the laws restricting the time slaves can remain there before becoming villeins in the eyes of the law. The primary difference between a slave and a villein or serf is that the latter have certain rights to property and in land, and the ties of bondage are based upon land rather than personage. Serfs have less rights than villeins, and can be traded between different masters, but still have more rights than slaves, and can ultimately earn their freedom, something which is more difficult for a villein or a slave.

A villein is almost a freeman, with rights to earn money from the land they work for their lord. When a slaves becomes a villein, or a villein comes of age, their master must set some land aside, and provide a home for them. However, a villein's movement is restricted, and they are not allowed to leave their master's estates without a writ of permission. Villeinage is inheritable, with the children of villeins becoming villeins in turn. If a villein's spouse is a slave, the children are villeins. A villein could eventually earn their freedom, but they risk being stripped of the land and home which earns them income. They owe a tithe of their earnings to their master.

Serfdom evolved out of debt bondage. Like villeins, serfs have rights to land ownership and can earn money. However, they owe service to the owner of their debt, and services provided to them by their owner cost them money. They can ultimately earn off their debt and buy back their freedom. Unlike a villein, a serf can be traded to others, through sale of the debt which binds serf to master. A serf's children, whether the serf was born free or not, are born as serfs. A serf can be commanded to perform any task their master sees fit.

They key difference here between the two is that for many masters, villeins are almost equals, cannot be easily controlled, and in some cases can amass considerable wealth of their own. Serfs on the other hand are in all cases poor and bound to their master. A wealthy serf is a free serf, as they pay back their debt.

Other forms of bondage exist across the British Empire, from coolie transport labour in the various colonies, to caste labour carried out around the Indian Ocean rim, to the feudal system of peonage used in Southern Marches of Britain-in-America.

Last edited:
Are you sure that wasn't this case?

Heh, I was thinking "Dred Scott" myself at first, but come to think of it, there was indeed a "Somersett's Case" in our own reality.....;)

Villeinage and serfdom

Most prevalent in the Home Islands of the British Empire, due to the laws restricting the time slaves can remain there before becoming villeins in the eyes of the law. The primary difference between a slave and a villein or serf is that the latter have certain rights to property and in land, and the ties of bondage are based upon land rather than personage. Serfs have less rights than villeins, and can be traded between different masters, but still have more rights than slaves, and can ultimately earn their freedom, something which is more difficult for a villein or a slave.

A villein is almost a freeman, with rights to earn money from the land they work for their lord. When a slaves becomes a villein, or a villein comes of age, their master must set some land aside, and provide a home for them. However, a villein's movement is restricted, and they are not allowed to leave their master's estates without a writ of permission. Villeinage is inheritable, with the children of villeins becoming villeins in turn. If a villein's spouse is a slave, the children are villeins. A villein could eventually earn their freedom, but they risk being stripped of the land and home which earns them income. They owe a tithe of their earnings to their master.

Serfdom evolved out of debt bondage. Like villeins, serfs have rights to land ownership and can earn money. However, they owe service to the owner of their debt, and services provided to them by their owner cost them money. They can ultimately earn off their debt and buy back their freedom. Unlike a villein, a serf can be traded to others, through sale of the debt which binds serf to master. A serf's children, whether the serf was born free or not, are born as serfs. A serf can be commanded to perform any task their master sees fit.

They key difference here between the two is that for many masters, villeins are almost equals, cannot be easily controlled, and in some cases can amass considerable wealth of their own. Serfs on the other hand are in all cases poor and bound to their master. A wealthy serf is a free serf, as they pay back their debt.

Interesting take on modernized villeinage.....also, are there restrictions on serfdom in some places, such as who can be a serf, etc.?

Heh, I was thinking "Dred Scott" myself at first, but come to think of it, there was indeed a "Somersett's Case" in our own reality.....;)

Interesting take on modernized villeinage.....also, are there restrictions on serfdom in some places, such as who can be a serf, etc.?

No, not really. Sufficient levels of debt really. There are restrictions on who can be a slave, and society dictates only certain people should be allowed to become villeins, as its essentially being a very comfy serf.

Benjamin walked steadily through the chattel pens. A pair of brokers flanked him pointing out good bucks, sturdy wenches and so on. He felt little but contempt for them. They were crawling, snivelling wretches with grasping hands and gimlet eyes. Those eyes perpetually flicked to the overseers who perches on their tall wooden stools opposite the pens. They were fearful men. But not nearly as fearful as those in the pens. If you were feeling fanciful, you could swear that the stench of fear clouded the room like a stinking mist. But Benjamin was not a fanciful man. The smell was the odour of dozens of unwashed body, excrement, and spoiled food, and the haze in the air came from the pipes clamped ubiquitously in the jaws of the overseers.

If he held the brokers in contempt, he failed to hold the penned hordes in any light at all. Part of him thought it a pity they were held in such poor conditions, but reason told him this was but a temporary arrangement, and after all, it was their fault. Irresponsible people who got themselves in debt deserved nothing better than serfdom. Stopping in front of one pen, Benjamin glared at its occupants. A man, a woman, four small children. The man had the veined, bibulous face of a habitual drunk, and he stared morosely into the middle distance. The woman's eyes were pink from weeping but she had an inner steel he could tell. The children clung to her ragged crinoline and sobbed softly. Glancing downwards, he picked up the bundle of papers strung to a nail on their pen. It was simple statistics, their lives in microcosm. He read the details of their enserfment, mouthing the words as his eyes scanned the lines. He made a decision...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Freemen, Patron Villeins, and the Franchise

Few freemen own slaves or are bonded to serfs, with most being attached to landowners, factory owners or aristocracy. Most freemen are poor or middle income individuals, who cannot afford to maintain a serf or slave, let alone a villein. The closest most urban, middle-income families will get to patronage is renting out a serf as domestic help.

Those who are bonded to more than one serf on a permanent basis, or own any slaves at all are referred to as patrons, and the state of owning or being bonded is referred to as patronage, a linguistic borrowing from the Spanish hacienda system. However when people talk about patrons, they are usually talking about people who own larger numbers of unfree persons, such as a planter or a mill owner.

The interesting thing about patronage, is that it is not necessary to be free to be a patron. There are many villeins who have purchased large tracts of land, and use slaves or serfs to work it, and may even have villeins bonded to them in turn. These villeins are known as patron villeins, and have access to many of the luxuries of life enjoyed by wealthy freemen. Few seek freedom, as their patron has the write to strip them of the wealth and land they granted them.

As villeins can achieve a significant position in society, it is judged that they should be represented to some degree in Parliament. Obviously as unfree persons, they are not deserving of a vote in and of themselves. Instead, their patron votes on their behalf. Only villeins are counted in this way. A large slave plantation in the Carolinas or Georgia will only get the planter the one vote they are entitled to, as there are few villeins in the Southern shires of America.

This means that the large landowners of the Home Islands, who may have dozens of bonded villeins, and who may in turn have villeins of their own have their vote counted as dozens. In this way, a balance of power has been maintained as the colonies have been granted seats in Parliament, they inevitably lack in villeinage and so the Home Islands has always achieved a certain weight.

The American Issue and the Compromise of 1775

Tensions had been growing between Britain and the colonies of North America in the aftermath of the Seven Years War. Notably, the Tea Act had caused considerable ire, being scene as one part of a litany of British laws that clamped down on the American ability to trade and strangled growth. As taxes were increased, in order to offset the losses incurred by the war, people began to grow restive. This reached a height in 1772 with the burning of the Gaspee and in 1773 with the Boston Tea Party. However the Somersett Case had conciliated much of the Southern population to the British government as these colonies were less affected by British trade restrictions.

The low point of Britain's relationship with the American colonies was the institution of the Coercive Acts made to restrict the power of the Massachusetts Bay colony. This caused the spread of discontent from Massachusetts to most of the Northern colonies. That year, a Continental Congress, a form of Parliament, was set up to organise resistance and air their grievances.

Lord North managed to save the situation at the last minute. The American colonies did not want independence, they simply wanted to be respected. A declaration of loyalty managed to convince an otherwise recalcitrant King George, and talks were mooted in late 1774. The Continental Congress reconvened, with the inclusion of Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Bermuda, the Floridas and the Caribbean colonies, as well as an observer from the Hudson Bay Company.

The inclusion of these colonies as well as the loyalty of the South balanced out the more radical moves of the Northern colonies. A petition was sent to Britain suggesting that they either remove the trade restrictions and impose taxation or strictly regulate trade and remove taxation. After some deliberation the former became the core of the Compromise of 1775.

The remaining call of the Congress was that no taxation ought to be imposed without representation. Imitating the system in Britain herself, each colony was redefined as a 'Shire'. Each was allocated two MPs, and notable towns were granted borough status. As well as that, a Proclamation of Heredity was made. Individuals who presented proof of income and having resided in the colonies for three generations or more would be given a title and a theoretical seat in the House of Lords. Most notable amongst these new Lords, was George Washington, now First Lord Vernon.

To balance these reforms, rotten boroughs in Britain were rooted out. The franchise was not expanded in America other than to those of a certain property status. The areas in the west, formerly administered as native territories or as part of Quebec were now altered into a form of colonial status. Two new shires were formed, out of Virginian claims, Transylvania and Vandalia. Britain still didn't want to antagonise the natives unduly due to the possible costs of defence, so a charter was needed to settle in the west. These charter were easier to obtain if you were a Lord, and these lords then had carte blanche to settle people on land they now had a charter to. Lord Vernon was notable in his pursuit of settlements in the Ohio Country.

This set the stage for a new phase of British Imperialism. Colonies were no longer simply extractive settlements with a charter attached. They were potential direct additions to the Kingdom of Great Britain. With power being centralised, the colonial governments or 'provincial congresses' were increasingly becoming little more than overblown county councils.

The Royal Africa Company

The waning fortunes of the East India Company, and the costs of maintaining direct rule in Bengal had been temporarily averted with the Tea Act. When the British government decided to integrate the North American colonies into Great Britain directly, these reprieve ended. Financial collapse was imminent, and in an attempt to raise the cash to avoid the inevitable government intervention began selling swathes of land to Indian nobles and British aristocrats. By the time the British intervened, their grip over the subcontinent had been significantly diminished, and in the ensuing cuts British presence on the subcontinent was curtailed enormously to the more secure south. British influence remained strong in the northern kingdoms, but the dream of domination over India was over.

The collapse of the EIC lead to hundreds of Company men finding themselves in unemployment. Many Native Indian regiments that remained loyal to Britain also found themselves with little gainful employment. With the eye of the government now firmly fixed upon North America and the Atlantic, another company began to receive some much needed attention. The African Company of Merchants was a much scaled down successor to the Royal African Company of the 17th century. With the economy booming in the sugar shires of the Caribbean, the tobacco plantations of Virginia and Maryland, and the emergent cotton planters of Georgia, the demand for slaves had reached a new height.

Company men began relocating to Ghana, and before long the Royal African Company had entered its third incarnation. In 1784, the relationship between the British government and the new company was formalised, the government being keenly familiar with the failings of the East India Company. The RAC was subordinated directly to the British government, with an appointed Governor-General. A Board of Commission was established in London, composed of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Secretary of State for Africa, and four Privy Councillors appointed by the King. The Secretary of State was referred to as the President of the Board of Commission.

A central bureaucracy was also established in the growing African colonies. This would prove vital, as in the beginning there was no really defined central city, and it would take some time for the injections of East Indian talent and experience to make its presence felt. Importantly, those East Indian regiments which had been selected for African service had an altered oath of service. Drawing upon the new laws that defined villeinage and older principles of warrior fealty, as well as Dharmic caste ideals, sepoys took an oath of service that bound them to their officer. In return for their service, as well as regular pay, they would receive land in Africa at the end of their term of service. However the term of service for the soldiers was fixed to ten years, and marriage and other ties were banned.

Leon Goodpart

Born Napoleone Buonoparte, and up until 1784, known as Napoleon Bonaparte, Leon Goodpart emigrated to Britain to join the Royal Navy. This came at a crucial juncture, as from this point on, Goodpart would be steeped in the cosmopolitan, yet superstitious and grimly monarchist world of the Royal Navy. Not only that, but across the Channel, ideals espoused by American MPs had found fertile soil amongst the intelligentsia of France. Louis XVI's failure to make reforms to France's financial situation necessitated a summoning of the Estates General in 1791.

The French Crisis fully emerged in 1792, by which point the Third Estate had become the National Assembly, and with the addition of members of the First and Second Estates was acting as a shadow government to the Estates General. Louis realised the National Assembly was the body more likely to enact his much needed financial reforms, and so asked them to form a government. While at the time this was celebrated as an important coup for Louis, it laid the seeds of further troubles. The National Assembly made reforms that remodelled much of the governance of the French state along the lines of the British example, albeit without a House of Lords. But two dangerous groups were emerging. The first were the Sans-cullotes, radicals who took issue with the idea of monarchist rule and believed the National Assembly's reforms didn't go far enough. They received some support from the urban lower classes and from some elements of the army. Notably they stormed and captured the gunpowder supplies of the Bastille. The other groups were the Nouvelle-Fronde, the remnant of the Estates-General that refused to co-operate with the National Assembly. They received support from the aristocracy, the clergy, and from the regional parlements.

Louis managed to command a middle grouping, with the support of finance minister Necker, and head of the National Guard Lafayette. The breaking point of the tenuous peace came in late 1792, when the Assembly abolished seigneural rights of the nobility and the tithe gathering of the clergy. Louis explicitly declared himself in favour of the legislation which also abolished the parlements and special privileges for provinces and towns. While this was hailed by the middle class, urban populace as the Restoration of French Liberty, its vagueness succeeded in uniting the goals of the Nouvelle-Fronde and the Sans-Cullotes. The Nouvelle-Fronde was obviously concerned with the demolition of traditional rights of the noblility and clergy. The Sans-Cullotes were affronted by the Assembly's promise of compensation from the peasants being paid, which would leave them in poverty and debt to the nobles for decades to come. The vagueness of the legislation also decreased the power of those pockets which the Sans-Cullotes had reclaimed for themselves.

Due to this, civil war broke out. Paris was secured by the Loyalists, but the Vendee and the Britanny were soon under the control of the Nouvelle-Fronde, while the Sans-Cullotes established control over the south of the country. Corsica became an independent republic before falling under Sans-Cullotide influence. This alliance of convenience was unstable and was in evidence by the frequent rebellions in both revolutionaries' territory and the even more frequent border clashes. While Louis' kingdom was reduced to a rump around Ile de France and the Channel ports, it received support from the British. The Nouvelle-Fronde was ostensibly lead by Marie Antoinette who distinguished herself by successfully negotiating the alliance with the Sans-Cullotes, and remodelled herself in the eyes of the peasantry from offensively ignorant foreigner to warrior queen. She received aid from the Austrians and the Spanish. The Sans-Cullotes received little to no foreign support, but had the advantage of zeal and sheer weight.

By 1795, the situation had escalated sufficiently for Britain to commit troops. The tenuous alliance of the Sans-Cullotes and Nouvelle-Fronde was collapsing, and both were factionalising and fighting amongst themselves. Marie Antoinette died in the defence of La Rochelle, and her generals switched sides to Louis. They helped crush the factions of the Fronde, and with foreign support now united, the brutal 'Republic of the French' was squashed by 1798. Louis was able to play the various sides off against each other and reclaim much of the power he had lost with the foundation of the Assembly. By the time the Crisis was at an end, France was a constitutional monarchy but its monarchy was firmly in the seat of power.

The consequence of this was great. Marie Antoinette was greatly romanticised all across Europe, while the Sans-Cullotes and republican thought in general was demonised, thanks to the Terror that began as the group factionalised. Representative and centralised government became almost a standard form of governance across Western Europe.

It was during the French Crisis that Leon Goodpart rose to prominence. He worked first in the Mediterranean, where he fought in the Corsica of his distant birth, and later on fought a radical, personal campaign in southern France where he reforged his ship's crew into an artillery formation and fought a peuguerre conflict against the Sans-Cullotes. Through the booty he collected, he became wealthy, and because of the audaciousness of his campaign, he won fame in Britain despite the irregularity of his behaviour. He returned to Britain, and for a time peace reigned. But Europe's history, and Goodpart's life radically alter with the beginning of the Germanic Wars.

Last edited: