MotF 77: On the Road Again

Krall

Banned
XMotF 77 Roundel.png

The Challenge
Make a map showing the travels of one person or a small group of people in an alternate timeline.

The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when your PoD or map may be set. Future maps are allowed, but blatantly implausible (ASB) maps are not.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me.

This round has been extended; the entry period for this round shall now end on Saturday the 13th of April.

---

Suggestions and OTL resources
You could make a map showing...

...the famous travels of a well-known traveller, such as Marco Polo or Ibn Battuta.

...the campaign of a political candidate - like a whistle stop train tour - such as the many speeches made by Harry S. Truman, or the travels made by Obama and Romney while on campaign.

...a musical tour, such as Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 World Tour.

...the diplomatic travels of a political figure, such as the visits Pope John Paul II made to different countries.

...the travels of a famous explorer, such as the voyages of Christopher Columbus or the circumnavigation of the globe by Ferdinand Magellan and Juan Sebastián Elcano.

...a famous naval expedition, such as the voyages of Zheng He or the travels of the Great White Fleet.

---

THIS THREAD IS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION!

Following a change in the rules, entries threads will now be open for discussion as well as entries! Note that the discussion must about the entries or the challenge itself. In order to make it easy to discern which posts are entries and which posts are not, please do not post images outside of entries.

Discussion on the previous MotF round should take place in its Voting Thread. Any other discussion about MotF topics should take place in the Main Thread.

If you violate these rules you will be asked to remove or edit your post(s). If you refuse to remove or edit your post(s), post something that is clearly disruptive or malicious, or post spam then you will be reported to the board's moderators and may be disqualified from this contest round.

Remember to vote on the previous round of MotF!

XMotF 77 Roundel.png

Last edited:
red ärächnid's 1987 Red Venom tour

red ärächnid's 1987 Red Venom tour

“Larry! Is that the t-shirt?”

“Yeah, man. Just came from the shirt place.”

“Dude. Awesome. The map on the back is totally metal.”

“Yeah, man. red ärächnid's first tour. We gotta know where we’ve been when we make it big.”

“I love how the lakes look like they’re made of blood.”

“Yeah.”

“And the rivers between the states look like they’re running with blood.”

“Yeah. Or, maybe, red venom.”

“Dude! Like the tour name! That’s so cool.”

“Yeah.”

“And I love the glowy spiders. Do they really glow red in the dark?”

“Yeah. They glow red in the dark.”

“Hmm. So what is ‘Minotshe’?”

“No, man. That’s Minot. It’s in Sheyenne.”

“What’s Minot?”

“It’s a city. About eight hours west of Saint Croix Falls.”

“There’s a lot of women who live there?”

“Uhh, no more than normal. Why?”

“Oh... Then what does the ‘SHE’ stand for?”

“That’s the abbreviation for Sheyenne.”

“Oh... Yeah. What’s SCX?”

“St Croix. It’s the state Saint Croix Falls is in.”

“Why didn’t they just call it SC?”

“Because when the government thought they’d do two-letter abbreviations in the 30s, St Croix got into a pissing match with South Carolina and Southern California.”

“So everyone got three letters?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

“Dude, you know too much geography for a drummer.”

“Yeah, well, maps and metal. Both are totally universal.”

“And even better… With this shirt we won’t get lost. Because it’s a map, too.”

“Don’t use it that way, bud. There aren’t any highways on it. If you get lost, use a real map and stop for directions.”

“Yeah, ok.”

“Seriously, dude. You’re driving the van with the equipment in it.”

“Dude, chill. This is going to be the best tour ever.”

redarac.png

Krall

Banned
I'm not sure what I was expecting when you said you were going to make a music tour map, but it wasn't that! :p

I am pleasantly surprised, though; the map looks like it wouldn't be out of place on a real tour shirt. Does the map show all the states of the country their in, or does it only show the ones red ärächnid toured in?

Heck, they couldn't even get a gig in Chicago.

It's just the states where they toured. They're not big enough for a national tour of the US. Heck, they couldn't even get a gig in Chicago.

I have a full map of the US for this timeline in development -- which I'll use some other time in a different MotF.

FWIW, there's a distinct POD here. And the two initial effects of that POD are both on the t-shirt.

Krall

Banned
It's just the states where they toured. They're not big enough for a national tour of the US. Heck, they couldn't even get a gig in Chicago.

Ah, I see. Did they ever make it big? :)

I have a full map of the US for this timeline in development -- which I'll use some other time in a different MotF.

FWIW, there's a distinct POD here. And the two initial effects of that POD are both on the t-shirt.

I don't really know enough about US history to guess what the PoD or its initial effects might be. Considering the different state boundaries I'd guess it was in the early 1800s, if not earlier, though.

Haven't posted anything in a while, So here we go.

A map of the
Imperial Opera Companies 1926 World Tour.

Presenting Operas such as:

Parsifal
Mefistofele
Falstaff

and the new Oratorio:

Daniel - By debut composer Anthony Holmes​

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
Guys, shouldn't this be in the discussion thread?
THIS THREAD IS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION!

:p

We changed the rules to allow discussion in the entries threads themselves, so that these threads will be more consistently active rather than getting bumped only when someone posts a new entry, and so that there's more discussion of entries in the MotF threads themselves rather than in the Map Thread. Just don't post any images (other than smilies), so I can tell what's an entry and what's not.

Haven't posted anything in a while, So here we go.

A map of the
Imperial Opera Companies 1926 World Tour.

Presenting Operas such as:

Parsifal
Mefistofele
Falstaff

and the new Oratorio:

Daniel - By debut composer Anthony Holmes​

It's rather hard to see the details of the map, as it's all grey on grey. It looks like the British Empire as it was in OTL, to me.

:p

We changed the rules to allow discussion in the entries threads themselves, so that these threads will be more consistently active rather than getting bumped only when someone posts a new entry, and so that there's more discussion of entries in the MotF threads themselves rather than in the Map Thread. Just don't post any images (other than smilies), so I can tell what's an entry and what's not.

In that case, lock's map's PoD seems to be Michigan getting Toledo in the Toledo War.

Krall

Banned
In that case, lock's map's PoD seems to be Michigan getting Toledo in the Toledo War.

Ah, that would make sense. The Wikipedia article mentions that Michigan got part of the Upper peninsula as a compromise, which is also not the case in lock's map.

Not sure what effects that might have on the US and the world as a whole, beyond the creation of a metal band named for scarlet spiders with a penchant for overusing umlauts, of course. ;)

Ah, that would make sense. The Wikipedia article mentions that Michigan got part of the Upper peninsula as a compromise, which is also not the case in lock's map.

Ding ding. I've always had a fascination for the Toledo War.

Not sure what effects that might have on the US and the world as a whole, beyond the creation of a metal band named for scarlet spiders with a penchant for overusing umlauts, of course. ;)

With Wisconsin taking the U.P., Congress approves a western boundary for Wisconsin at the Black River. Minnesota and St Croix get created out of OTL's Western Wisconsin, (most of) Minnesota, and Eastern South Dakota.

The one big effect I'm seeing on the larger US map as I build it, is that with an extra northern state, I have to add an extra southern state to maintain a pre-Civil War Slave/Free State balance in the Senate. So there will be two Texases, which leads to other boundary changes all over the West. (But that's a different map.)

red ärächnid and their Red Venom tour simply live in this universe.

Ah, I see. Did they ever make it big?

Will red ärächnid make it big? I haven't decided yet. But as Larry says, metal is universal.

So are gratuitous umlauts.

I'd have thought this one would've had more entires by now.

Also, I was gonna enter, but I could'nt find a good basemap (the Q-BAM is to small and the NA-BAM is to big).