Borders of Quebec as a State?

(I've tried to search for this, but it keeps giving me errors or irrelevant results, even when I narrow down the search. Bear with me.)

For some reason, whether in an Ameriwank scenario, a Dominion of Southern America scenario, or otherwise, Quebec, Nova Scotia, etc. all become original, founding states and representatives from their states approve the constitution.

What is Quebec's border in this scenario? IIRC Quebec hasn't always had 75% of the Labrador Peninsula like it does now. There were always border squabbles between the early states (some lasting up until the 21st century - AFAIK, New York and New Jersey were squabbling about the Upper New York Bay as late as 1998.) but what would be the general vicinity of the United States' Quebecois borders?

Quebec used to have more of Labrador but we felt bad for Newfoundland and bribed them with it to get them to join.;)

(I've tried to search for this, but it keeps giving me errors or irrelevant results, even when I narrow down the search. Bear with me.)

Really? ;)

See the "search" button in vBulletin here? That's code for "go away, [insult about your mother]". :p It's just plain terrible. So do what I do: just take your favorite search engine, type whatever you want, and append "alternatehistory.com" to your search. Boom. Works every time.

My thread's for revolutionary times, but if you're looking at a more modern statehood, it depends on the vote per Quebec county (they call them counties, right?) at any given time.

While the ultimate borders would likely be different, the below is what the Province of Quebec looked like right before the Revolutionary War;

Province_of_Quebec_1774[1].gif

My thread's for revolutionary times, but if you're looking at a more modern statehood, it depends on the vote per Quebec county (they call them counties, right?) at any given time.

Quebec has about 3.4 million different forms of subdivisions that just go tighter and tighter. They've got the Regions. Then they have County Municipalities, but they also have independent municipalities, reserves, sub regions, Cree villages, and other things.

Quebec has about 3.4 million different forms of subdivisions that just go tighter and tighter. They've got the Regions. Then they have County Municipalities, but they also have independent municipalities, reserves, sub regions, Cree villages, and other things.

So… sort of like US incorporated and unincorporated towns, but mandelbrotishly more complex. Thanks!

Anyway, if it's a vote being held for US statehood sometime post US Revolution, the size and shape of this Quebec will depend on the weight of the vote in each of these… subdivisions that count as voting things.

Really? ;)

See the "search" button in vBulletin here? That's code for "go away, [insult about your mother]". :p It's just plain terrible. So do what I do: just take your favorite search engine, type whatever you want, and append "alternatehistory.com" to your search. Boom. Works every time.

Alright, thanks.

(Also, I feel kind of ashamed now that I see you posted a thread a week and a half ago about the very subject I'm referring to. Meh.

EDIT: Wait. I posted in that thread. Wow. Someone come hit me with a big stick.)

Last edited:
Really? ;)

The problem with this is that it doesn't search in private forums.

The problem with this is that it doesn't search in private forums.

I'll never understand why they took those two non-visible…

Well, the public ones cover both types of scenario, don't they? It's either a state at the Revolution, in which case it's here, or a state at any time post-revolution, in which case the size is dependent on how the munici-counti-pies vote.

Tallest Skil said:
[insult about your mother]". :p
Motherfuckle?:p

(That's off the "Lethal 3" goodie reel.;))

To actually address the OP, tho, look at this.

As for actual borders, doesn't the federal gov't have some say? Which explains why California is the shape it is. Also Michigan.

Last edited:
The border of Quebec in a "Quebec joins the 1770's revolution" TL to the right/east of the St. Lawrence would likely be about the same as its OTL border. The same for its border along the Ottawa River. OTL Southern Ontario (east of Georgian Bay-French River-Lake Nipissing) would, I imagine, become part of a North West Territory and later a state itself (c. 1820s) rather than part of the "greater Quebec" created by the British in 1774. How far Quebec's border goes inland, west toward Rupert's Land is open to peace treaty butterflies, as is how far north/northeast it goes beyond the Manicouagan River toward the Moisie River (including who gets Anticosti Island and the Magdalen Islands).

Another old map of interest:

Britishcolonies1763-76-NA.jpg

Last edited: