Was the Panama Canal a Soviet ICBM target during the Cold War?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says. Did the Soviets have the Panama Canal marked as an ICBM target during the Cold War?

Once the Soviets had the capability to reach that far south, definitely. Probably more than one warhead was targeting the canal.

Don't know off the top of my head if their ICBMs ever had the range to get that far, but it would certainly have been targeted with submarine-based weapons.

Once the Soviets had the capability to reach that far south, definitely. Probably more than one warhead was targeting the canal.

Don't know off the top of my head if their ICBMs ever had the range to get that far, but it would certainly have been targeted with submarine-based weapons.
What I wonder is how long such an attack could actually shut down the canal. What's the worst it could do to the canal itself? Some of the locks might be broken but they could probably be repaired pretty quickly in an emergency.

What I wonder is how long such an attack could actually shut down the canal. What's the worst it could do to the canal itself? Some of the locks might be broken but they could probably be repaired pretty quickly in an emergency.

I looked this up once but now I can't remember, damn it... My vague memory is that it would actually be put out of action for quite some time - as in months - because the reservoirs would drain, and it would take time to refill them even after the fallout had died down and the equipment had been repaired. But I may be misremembering...

Edit to Add: This was actually part of the justification for the Plowshare program to excavate a Panama replacement. The new canal was going to be sea level, no locks or reservoirs.

I think there might be secondary strikes in the area against Panama City and any US military installations in the area to prevent that. If the missiles are submarine based, the submarine(s) could have a secondary mission of attacking any reinforcements that try to arrive by sea. This leaves air, but I think it would be difficult to airlift the amount of supplies and personnel necessary to the canal on such short notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.