How to give Iceland, Greenland, Svalbard to Sweden?

hey, all. i decided recently that Sweden becomes the premier Scandinavian power in my ASB ATL, getting control over Greenland, Iceland, and Svalbard by the 20th century (probably post-Napoleon at the latest). does anyone have any ideas for how i can accomplish this without going straight through to the implausible?

Not loosing Trondheim and thus maintaining a seperate way out of the Baltic without using the Danish dominated straights is key here. Through a lot of history Sweden was worried about them being blocked and thus unable to protect any colonial possessions they may have. Spiltting Norway from Denmark earlier than OTL to prevent a strong counter in the West might help too.

Preventing internal decline following the Second Northern War and strengthening the empire economically and in terms of unity would also have helped to keep Sweden strong enough to gain more land from its enemies in later wars as it would have more muscle to rely on and not be as dependant on subsidies from allies.

Last edited:
hey, all. i decided recently that Sweden becomes the premier Scandinavian power in my ASB ATL, getting control over Greenland, Iceland, and Svalbard by the 20th century (probably post-Napoleon at the latest). does anyone have any ideas for how i can accomplish this without going straight through to the implausible?

Svalbard is easy. Just have the Norwegian-Swedish union and hey since it is ASB you can just make the Norwegians integrate peacefully into Sweden. As for Iceland and Greenland same applies. A big Danish defeat in the Napoleonic wars can nail Sweden all of those. Then just keep the Norwegians happy and there you go Swedish Svalbard, Swedish Iceland and Swedish Greenland and also Swedish Norway. With some luck you can even push for Scandinavian unification.