AHC: Keep Canada from being dominated by the US and/or the UK, pop-culture wise.

The challenge, with a POD no earlier than 1/1/1900, is to keep Canada from being dominated by foreign media, and to have its own distinct pop-cultural phenomena, which are known worldwide. (eg: more instances of the now-finished hit sitcom "Corner Gas"). Maybe have us produce even more great musicians than OTL, and have us on equal footing with America and Britain in the rock and roll scene. (PLEASE DON't BUTTERFLY THAT AWAY!!).

Bonus points if this Canada is also more politically independent, and has a stronger voice on the world stage, perhaps even becoming a neutral country at some point?

Last edited:
Later or earlier than 1900? Much confused. Maybe if you could find a way to increase the demographic growth of the Quebecois population to the point that it begins dominating regions outside of Lower Canada, you could reduce the influence of Anglophone culture significantly.

Later or earlier than 1900? Much confused. Maybe if you could find a way to increase the demographic growth of the Quebecois population to the point that it begins dominating regions outside of Lower Canada, you could reduce the influence of Anglophone culture significantly.

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant after 1900.

And, yeah, but I want a Canadian Anglophone culture to remain intact, but I want it to be CANADIAN, not predominantly American or British dominated.

Well, Canada has a fantastic tradition of singer-songwriters from Leonard Cohen to Ron Sexsmith. So much in the way of excellent home grown music that's been widely exported and acknowledged. Maybe have some of those people hit the international charts more often with more mainstream stuff and you have a more influential Canadian culture. Something this Brit would welcome.

Yeah, but in Canada, our media pays an extremely disproportionate amount attention to the US, eg: despite Canadian Content regulations, (The fact that we even need such a thing says something.) the vast majority of the TV shows Canadians watch are produced in the US. Although there are plenty of good Canadian TV shows (eg: Corner Gas and its spin-offs, jPod, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Republic of Doyle), most people in Canada hardly even know they exist, let alone outside of Canada. What I want AH.commers to come up with is a universe where this is not the case.

Maybe some policy of cultural autarchy in the 30s to match the attempt at creating a more robust Canadian industrial base.

Things like CBC taking shows from their french side and translating them could help a bit at least. I wonder why the CBC don't look at the at times brillant things the SRC do? And yes, this is a damn evil separatissse here, praising the SRC.

Yeah, but in Canada, our media pays an extremely disproportionate amount attention to the US, eg: despite Canadian Content regulations, (The fact that we even need such a thing says something.) the vast majority of the TV shows Canadians watch are produced in the US. Although there are plenty of good Canadian TV shows (eg: Corner Gas and its spin-offs, jPod, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Republic of Doyle), most people in Canada hardly even know they exist, let alone outside of Canada. What I want AH.commers to come up with is a universe where this is not the case.

I remember I came across a show late one night many years ago out of Canada called The Red Green show, it was really funny, wish i could find it somewhere again.

Kinda of a hard one, given facts that really aren't likely to change: Canada shares a common, largely open and friendly border with the United States, and has for a very long time. Canada has a fraction of the population of the United States, and has for a long time. Canada mostly speaks English. The United States produces an absolutely huge quantity of media.

All of these things open Canada up, in a big way, to the US media market. The US domestic market practically overlaps with that of Canada, to the point that film makers are able to have Canadian cities stand in for American ones. When Canadia actors come to the United States to work (Bill Shatner, John Candy, Jim Carrey, and a host of others) they can be instantly accepted as part of the scene without language or serious casting issues. The bigger American market will draw lots of these people to come to the United States and work here, purely on the basis of more opportunity than in the smaller Canadian market. Most people won't even know they're Canadian.

Aim to change some of these factors above (in whatever way you might), otherwise I don't see how it would work. American media breaks into markets on the other side of the world, Canada's peanuts to that.

I remember I came across a show late one night many years ago out of Canada called The Red Green show, it was really funny, wish i could find it somewhere again.

Yes, I miss that show...

Back to the topic, would stricter/earlier CRTC restrictions do the trick? Maybe requiring all PRIMETIME television (or most of it) to be of Canadian origin? Banning American TV networks, and only allowing foreign programs during the day and other non-peak hours? Similar regulations for radio? Ban foreign films from being shot on Canadian soil, and turn Vancouver into even more of a "Hollywood North" than OTL?

Yes, I miss that show...

Back to the topic, would stricter/earlier CRTC restrictions do the trick? Maybe requiring all PRIMETIME television (or most of it) to be of Canadian origin? Banning American TV networks, and only allowing foreign programs during the day and other non-peak hours? Similar regulations for radio? Ban foreign films from being shot on Canadian soil, and turn Vancouver into even more of a "Hollywood North" than OTL?

In a dark way, the reactionary turning Canada in Jello Biaffra's 'red USA, famous timeline will be this surely.

How about another way to do it.. what if canuck culture was trendy even in USA? it kill two birds with a stone - ensuring no flood of american cultural imports, and making it trendy in Canada itself, would make it easier to defend it.

Or french canadian's cultures are more popular even amongst anglos, less of Two Solitudes, giving an unique edge that usa imports can't have. HARD stuff.

Three way Second US Civil War between the federal government, white supremacists, and black nationalists, involving Soviet intervention.

At the same time Britain becomes fascist and nationalist.

I like all the responses in the vein of "In a grimdark world of post-nuclear dictatorships and global political turmoil, only one peace loving country has kept its pop culture and entertainment industry free from the grip of foreign dominance..."

How about another way to do it.. what if canuck culture was trendy even in USA? it kill two birds with a stone - ensuring no flood of american cultural imports, and making it trendy in Canada itself, would make it easier to defend it.

Maybe some sort of badass lumberjack stereotype? Lol, I could see something like that actually being cool, starting out as a comic book character. It gradually gets less cheesy along with the rest of the comic book world. In the 2010's, a movie is made about him, almost like a Canadian Thor:D:cool::p