WI: Yellowstone Erupts in the 19th century?

WI Yellowstone erupted at any point in the 19th century, before any of our modern early warning technology that would be able to predict such an eruption well in advance and before our modern technology and speedy communications that would be able to at least keep society working and organize relief efforts?

The impact would be different depending on the year. If you want "meaningful" conversation/speculation on this WI you need to be more specific.

Of course this is ASB as you cannot control Earth's eruptions and natural disasters without human aid. This is a good hypothesis, yes, but one that would make as much sense as an actual Tardis-travelling doctor.

Of course this is ASB as you cannot control Earth's eruptions and natural disasters without human aid. This is a good hypothesis, yes, but one that would make as much sense as an actual Tardis-travelling doctor.

No it isnt, natural disasters are actually one of the easiest things to change just on how random the weather is most of the time (not as knowledgable about volcanoes but I know for a fact you can make a hurricane or massive storm hit basically whenever you want provided several preconditions are met).

The scenario is actually realistic. Recent studies of astronomical records show a meteor swarm nearly hit the earth in the late 19th century.
I've had my doubt about Britain being to hold or fleaing to India, the collapse of the US, and Satan Worship, but the book had some really good points about how a post-fall world may look.

Hmm perhaps there dont will be an american century, and the european empires rule over much of the world till today?

I believe you have a talent for understatement! :)

Edit: I could see one saying in a supporting sentence, "...such could have disrupted the completion of a trans-continental railroad," etc.

I wonder if hybrid Anglo American/Native American cultures would develop among the survivors like the ones mentioned in Shikari in Galveston

Stirling, IMO, minimizes/under-estimates the devastation caused by a wide-spread meteor shower (dozens? scores? of impacts, some quite large). A Yellowstone eruption will be quite destructive. No, sadly the Native American population is going to be decimated far worse in TTL then it was in OTL.

I believe you have a talent for understatement! :)

Edit: I could see one saying in a supporting sentence, "...such could have disrupted the completion of a trans-continental railroad," etc.

Indeed; given that there will be a layer of ash about a foot thick deposited across much of the Great Plains with lesser amounts covering the Great Lakes Basin. This is tantamount to an airliner encountering a flock of birds or suffering some catastrophic malfunction.

Understatement Alert: ;)
It would have been a devestating blow for the young Canadian dominion as well. I'm sure however, that the U.S. wouldn't let something as silly as an international border stop us from providing relief assistance to our neighbors in need.:D

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Stirling, IMO, minimizes/under-estimates the devastation caused by a wide-spread meteor shower (dozens? scores? of impacts, some quite large). A Yellowstone eruption will be quite destructive. No, sadly the Native American population is going to be decimated far worse in TTL then it was in OTL.

Indeed; given that there will be a layer of ash about a foot thick deposited across much of the Great Plains with lesser amounts covering the Great Lakes Basin. This is tantamount to an airliner encountering a flock of birds or suffering some catastrophic malfunction.

Understatement Alert: ;)
It would have been a devestating blow for the young Canadian dominion as well. I'm sure however, that the U.S. wouldn't let something as silly as an international border stop us from providing relief assistance to our neighbors in need.:D
What kind of societies do you think would develop in the wake of such a disaster

Now, the Yellowstone Caldera is something I don't get. The general assumption is that everyone dies and civilization collapses, which frankly I don't buy. It seems it would ruin the United States and fuck up a global economy for a good few decades, but I've never seen it to be a world ender :/