WI: James A. Garfield Abstains From the 1880 RNC?

Stolengood

Banned
In 1880, former president Ulysses S. Grant attempted to gain the nomination of his party of a non-consecutive third term; however, the convention eventually nominated James A. Garfield, the campaign manager of James Sherman (who was also running for the nomination), as a compromise candidate after two dramatic moments by him in the convention.

If, however, Garfield stays out of the Convention, and does not support any candidate... what happens then? Does Grant get it? James G. Blaine? Sherman?

(I will also note that Samuel Tilden did not withdraw his name from consideration by the Democratic National Convention until just before it convened, which was some weeks after the RNC... so, would this also factor into the general?)

I leave it to you. :)

Stolengood

Banned
Ok, I'll say the GOP is still likely to win in 1880, assuming they keep New York and Pennsylvania (they won by 30 ECVs OTL, despite a close PV).
Possible VPs, then? Grant was supported by the Stalwart faction; with him at the top of the ticket, there's no way Arthur could get in...