Mormon Exodus/Diaspora

In the TL I'm working on I've had the United States crack down on a Mormon uprising in Utah, causing most of the Saints to abandon the area as they foresee a repetition of the old persecutions. My question is: Where do I send them? Either as isolated communities or a compact group, I can't really think about a place where they'll be accepted. There are 3 not-too-pretty possibilities: the Confederacy's western part (yeah, it's one of THOSE TLs), western Canada, or Ottoman-ruled Palestine. The first 2 would be very likely if the Mormons give up polygamy (or claim they do), but how long would it take for that to happen?

Straha

Banned
in my magnum opus CSA TL I have utah being torched after it rebels and being used as a place to resettle blacks by the union. The mormons end up being killed off completely with only a few making it to the confederacy alive(the rest make it to the border too but in several pieces)

Xen

Banned
What about some place in South America or Africa? Perhaps welcomed by a European Colonial Power to "Civilize" territory in the primitive lands. Maybe someplace like New Guinea?

Straha

Banned
Xen said:
What about some place in South America or Africa? Perhaps welcomed by a European Colonial Power to "Civilize" territory in the primitive lands. Maybe someplace like New Guinea?
Sure! There's lots of new and unusual tropical diseases for the mormons to die from there! either there or the congo basin.

Xen

Banned
Depends on where they go there doesnt it? They could settle some desert area in Africa or Patagonia in Argentina, lets not limit our imaginations to the jungles shall we?

Instead of southern Chilie getting lots of German farmers in the 1890's, have the Mormons move there. They are experts at farming, and the land marked with yellow arrows is some of the best.

MormonChile.JPG

Last edited:
A lot of Mormons went to Mexico in OTL to practice polygamy and convert the Mexicans. They didn't make a lot of converts, but they brought the practice of smoking weed to Utah...

Why not Israel?

or Palestine what ever you want to call it.

The Mormons believing to be the only true Faith, and having to move quite far anyway, why not move to the homeland of Jesus?

Could be an interesting timeline, conflicts with Arabs and zionistic Jews...

Darkest

Banned
Did you post an ATL about Mormons in Palestine? Or was that someone else? Sorry if I don't remember. I've actually seen a timeline that follows that idea, very interesting.

As the resident Mormon of this forum, I say that you have a very unique group of people to play around with. Anywhere they are sent, others will eventually follow, ending up in a huge colonization and organization movement. You have a source for conflicts, new nations, and stronger ones.

The Mormons had outposts throughout the entire western United States, mind you. Though it would hurt them substantially, they could move anywhere. I like the idea of the California valley, where they might flourish much better than in the desert of Utah.

If you want to send them farther away, Chile is a great idea, could add some color to the nation. However, this will weaken their religious movement considerably, as less Mormons will afford for the move and many could die on the trip or during colonization efforts.

Another idea someone brought up was to send them to Japan. The Japanese never converted in the earlier days of Catholic missionaries, because their ancestors were left going to purgatory. Mormon religion is huge on the veneration of ancestors, and the upholding of their memory. It would be a hit in Japan if there was an increased, earlier missionary effort (or exodus to the islands).

Otherwise, Canada might be a good idea, as well as Mexico (a big Mormon area), or even northern South America.

They didn't make a lot of converts, but they brought the practice of smoking weed to Utah...

Well, with the Word of Wisdom, smoking in any way is a huge sin in Mormon doctrine... I wonder what these guys were doing.

Mormon colonies in western Canada, Mexico and South America are good suggestions. Another hole in the wall place is British Honduras. Conservative Mennonites (from Canada I think) established farming towns in Belize in the 1960s or '70s. If anglophone Mormons had wanted to develop the area in the latter part of the 19th century, I don't think the British would have many objections. They settle, develop it a bit, organize militias in case the Guatemalans saber rattle about their claim, Britain may welcome them.

Straha

Banned
Xen said:
Depends on where they go there doesnt it? They could settle some desert area in Africa or Patagonia in Argentina, lets not limit our imaginations to the jungles shall we?
but thaqt means they don't get new and interesting fatal tropical diseases... :(

Darkest90 said:
If you want to send them farther away, Chile is a great idea, could add some color to the nation. However, this will weaken their religious movement considerably, as less Mormons will afford for the move and many could die on the trip or during colonization efforts.

There was plenty of ship traffic around the horn. Much of it was hauling goods from East Coast US to the West. IF the Mormons are already on the west coast, they could probibly get cheaper fares if they traveled down the coast on the 'empty' run.

Darkest90 said:
Well, with the Word of Wisdom, smoking in any way is a huge sin in Mormon doctrine... I wonder what these guys were doing.

Hmm...considering these were from the Mormon faction that continued polygamy (in Mexico) in defiance of the leadership of the LDS church, perhaps they didn't believe in the Word of Wisdom.

I suggested Mormon Israel but I couldn't think of a way to make it interesting. Good luck.
Mormon California if it got started earlier before the Gold Rush is possible, if he had bought Ft. Ross from the Russians instead of Sutter and kept the gold deposits quiet. Utah would still be a territory if Brigham Young had seen the Bay Area first...

another interesting place

might be Panama.
imagine Mormons building the channel and controling it for the first half of the 20th century.