Evolution of US Territories into States with no Texas Annexation?

Spefically what would happen to the territories if the USA mad no land gains in the form of the Texas annexation, the Gasden Purchase, or the Mexican Cession? When would these reach statehood and what shapes would they take? The US presidental election maps on wikipedia do a good job in showing their progression every four years, but how do think their shapes would change without the gain in lands? Colorado, Wymoming, Kansas, and Oklamhoma all had parts belonging to either Texas or Mexico...how do you think those would be states became apart of?

(This is supposing no gains are made in the south until at least 1910... northern areas are fine to speculate on but I rather leave Oregon Territory alone...)

If there was no US territorial annexation, ie. Texas, Mexican Cession and Gadsden Purchase, that would leave the route to California being thru Montana, OTL Idaho, Oregon and Washington. Only portions of Oklahoma, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas were part of either Texas or the Mexican Cession, the bulk of these states were part of the Louisiana Purchase.

David S Poepoe said:
If there was no US territorial annexation, ie. Texas, Mexican Cession and Gadsden Purchase, that would leave the route to California being thru Montana, OTL Idaho, Oregon and Washington. Only portions of Oklahoma, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas were part of either Texas or the Mexican Cession, the bulk of these states were part of the Louisiana Purchase.
No Colorado...more than half it was part of the Texas Annexation, and the Mexican Cession. The Panhandle of Oklahoma was Texan as well as Kansas south of the Arkansas river west of the 100 degrees west marker. Colorado south of the Arkansas, and West of the Rio Grande Was all Mexian...thats more than just the bulk of these states.

I'm talking about the devolpment of the 'Unorganized' Territory as time passed. When would it be carved up, and how big are those carvings when they become states, as well as names, types of people, and possible voting patterns stemming from this era. I do think they'd all be states by 1915, but is their consturtion different based on this lack of territory?

I would think Oklahoma would simply not have the panhandle- weren't the borders of "Indian Territory" defined prior to Texas Annexation?

Imajin said:
I would think Oklahoma would simply not have the panhandle- weren't the borders of "Indian Territory" defined prior to Texas Annexation?
Yes, but there are others, such as Colorado and Wyoming that can't come into exsistance at this point...

350px-ElectoralCollege1848-Large.png

If using this map for a starting point (regard texas as a bondary), this puts the areas of OTL Monotana, Wyoming, the Datokas, Kansas, and Colorado up for grabs. Anything can be drawn in this area...but as we push the legistlation forward...

350px-ElectoralCollege1852-Large.png

I think on this map only Minnesota and Oregon territory are drawn correctly for this scenario, thus we must start to assume the evoution of legistlation regarding lands given to territories would continue on a like path (though without imput from the Senators and Representives from Texas and California, and later others...)

What I'm asking is basically this;

Without the Mexican-American War, would you have the Kansas-Nebraska act?

I can conflidentially say that modren western states started taking on their more defined shapes around 1864;

450px-ElectoralCollege1864-Large.png

Othniel said:
What I'm asking is basically this;

Without the Mexican-American War, would you have the Kansas-Nebraska act?
Wasn't the Kansas defined in Kansas-Nebraska slightly larger? IIRC, it stretched to the end of the remaining Louisiana.

Imajin said:
Wasn't the Kansas defined in Kansas-Nebraska slightly larger? IIRC, it stretched to the end of the remaining Louisiana.
It encompassed all of the territory north of a certain line and south of anouther, so yes... Nebraska was all territory (except the Eastern part of the Dakotats and Oregon country plus...) north of Nebraska and west of exsisting states. These would likely be divided later on into smaller states as needed... so I'm not sure about what effects it would have...thats why I'm asking...