Earlier Jewish rebellion

Would it be possible that Jewish rebellion that happened in 66 AD happens earlier? What I have in mind as a result is that Jews in Judea are dispersed earlier and Jerusale "destroyed" and as such there is no Christianity.

Would it be possible that Jewish rebellion that happened in 66 AD happens earlier? What I have in mind as a result is that Jews in Judea are dispersed earlier and Jerusale "destroyed" and as such there is no Christianity.

There might have been a rebellion if Caligula's orders to place a giant statue of himself in The Temple had been obeyed. Have Herod Agrippa fall off a cliff or something as well and things will go out of control.

Last edited:

You want the revolt to happen when though? Just saying 'earlier that 66' doesn't butterfly it away. You'd need it to take place probably around 30AD or some such time to butterfly Christianity (or at least any version we know of it) away.

You want the revolt to happen when though? Just saying 'earlier that 66' doesn't butterfly it away. You'd need it to take place probably around 30AD or some such time to butterfly Christianity (or at least any version we know of it) away.

That's up to you to decide. :)

There might have been a rebellion if Caligula's orders to place a giant statue of himself in The Temple had been obeyed. Have Herod Agrippa fall of a cliff or something as well and things will go out of control.

Well... caligula doesnt ascend to the throne until 37, according to wiki. And i agree with EC that thats too late to butterfly away christianity. In some ways, an earlier rebellion and diaspora would HELP the the christian church, as they are jewish enough, but not jews. So they might have less persecution. Even if the are treated the same, the destruction of the temple will shake a lot of jews' faith, which will make them easier converts.

And, given the maccabees, you would NEED to be batshit crazy to put an idol into the temple.

Ok, thats what doesnt work.

There were LOTS of 'messiah' claimants at the time. Most of whom thought that involved kicking the Romans out. Get someone to lead a major movement, claiming to be the messiah in, oh 20 AD, or so and you might touch of a big enough revolt.

The number of zealots and crazies wandering around israel at the time was amazing, and if someone could get them all pointed in one direction... not that THATs likely:)