Question: Why do the Mormons always get screwed if the CSA wins?

Why is it in Civil War Timelines, or even many AH staples like TL-191, especially ones where the CSA wins the Civil War, the Mormons get cracked down on, usually after failing to rebel themselves. Is there some sort of historical precident? Would the CSA winning really worsen US-Mormon relations the way it seems to in these TLs, or is it just a trope?

Turtledove did it.
No, this predates him.

The 'official' reason would be the Mormon War was the most recent Antebellum conflict the US had seen, only half a decade earlier, so tensions would presumably still be high.

The real reason was that pre-Turtledovian AH saw the ACW as the perfect chance to balkanize the US as much as possible. Turtledove likely felt the US would instead crack down hard on any 'rogue' elements instead.

That is substantiated by early '00s and pre-2000 online AH on places such as Stephen Abbott's website and various Angelfire and Tripod sites still in existence. Good grasp of AH meta-history.

No, this predates him.

The 'official' reason would be the Mormon War was the most recent Antebellum conflict the US had seen, only half a decade earlier, so tensions would presumably still be high.

The real reason was that pre-Turtledovian AH saw the ACW as the perfect chance to balkanize the US as much as possible. Turtledove likely felt the US would instead crack down hard on any 'rogue' elements instead.

That is substantiated by early '00s and pre-2000 online AH on places such as Stephen Abbott's website and various Angelfire and Tripod sites still in existence. Good grasp of AH meta-history.

So this has more to do with AH tropage rather than any historical basis? More literary flourish than counterfactual plausibility?

If one was writing a CSA victory TL, would it be plausible for the Mormons to rise up? what would the short term and long term effects be?

NothingNow

Banned
So this has more to do with AH tropage rather than any historical basis? More literary flourish than counterfactual plausibility?

Same as a confederate Cuba, but more likely, and if Utah borders the CSA, it might turn into a proxy war between the Union and the CSA and backing powers.

Could maybe even lead to a round two. It'd be hilarious if it got combined with a confederate Cuba scenario I outlined a while back, so the UK wouldn't be too keen on helping out the CSA, while the two brush wars start mirroring themselves.

Parallelism.

In my carefully-forgotten past on the old board is a timeline with a POD around 1900 where I planned a Communist Spain that included Portugal and Morrocco. Oh, and pseudo-Nazi Britain was a unitary state with Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, and South Africa. Why not just leave it at Spain and Britain, and explore the resulting world? Without the political unions, neither would have been strong enough to play vaguely the role their OTL equivalent did. Which is to say, no reason in particular.

Amateurs tend to default to matching identical circumstances to different places. Some never grow out of it (see Turtledove) and some use it and do it justice (see Into This Abyss).

When splitting up America, the automatic knee jerk is to parallel either ancient Rome, modern Europe, or (very occasionally) the Soviet Union. Modern Europe is the usual choice, but there are too few states and large oppressed minorities in North America. So, easy, just make more of both!

Why is it in Civil War Timelines, or even many AH staples like TL-191, especially ones where the CSA wins the Civil War, the Mormons get cracked down on, usually after failing to rebel themselves. Is there some sort of historical precident? Would the CSA winning really worsen US-Mormon relations the way it seems to in these TLs, or is it just a trope?

Have you any examples of that other than Turtledove?

In Moore's Bring the Jubilee, they seem to be doing quite well, being described as "the nearest thing to a prosperous group in this country". It is also observed that "All the grumbling about polygamy comes from men who can't stand the competition".

Unexplored implausible happening: New England seceding during or after the ACW. Though the big ACW thread on Stephen Abbott's site also had that, or at least an attempted secession. Which would have been particularly implausible given that was where the, you know, abolitionists came from. Though I suppose New York had the draft riots, but NY isn't the same as the rest of New England.

If one was writing a CSA victory TL, would it be plausible for the Mormons to rise up? what would the short term and long term effects be?

I don't really know. It depends on Union military strength and ability to enforce their authority on the west, but moreso it depends on if the Mormon Elders even feel like seceding just because the Baptists and Presbyterians were doing it.

I don't really know. It depends on Union military strength and ability to enforce their authority on the west, but moreso it depends on if the Mormon Elders even feel like seceding just because the Baptists and Presbyterians were doing it.

I imagine if they rebelled it would get crushed, but question is why would the rebel, and what would the consequences be?

I imagine if they rebelled it would get crushed, but question is why would the rebel, and what would the consequences be?

The LDS movement originally went West, beyond what was then the frontier of the United States to escape persecution from Easterners. Then the Mexican War immediately followed, Mexico lost control of its northern territories, and the Mormon colony ended up right back in the United States. I assume the LDS leadership in TL-191 looked back a generation and said, "we can do this again. The South made secession stick." And then bitterness and atrocity generated further atrocity and bitterness, and then flamethrowers and suicide bombs.

The LDS movement originally went West, beyond what was then the frontier of the United States to escape persecution from Easterners. Then the Mexican War immediately followed, Mexico lost control of its northern territories, and the Mormon colony ended up right back in the United States. I assume the LDS leadership in TL-191 looked back a generation and said, "we can do this again. The South made secession stick." And then bitterness and atrocity generated further atrocity and bitterness, and then flamethrowers and suicide bombs.

...That reasoning behind the motives makes sense actually.

As for the short and long term consequences, what would they be? Would Mormonism decline as a religion? Would the Mormon's move elsewhere, in the USA or abroad? If so, where? Or would, having been crushed, would Mormonism just assimilate years ahead of schedule?

It had come to violence already, although in a limited way, in 1857. Essentially, the Union wasn't going to let Utah be a state until they abolished polygamy, no way was Brigham Young going to abolish polygamy (and most of the Utahns at that point actively wished to be not-Americans), and there were still a sizable number of people in the upper midwest who remember driving the Mormons out of their communities and patting themselves on the back for it. It's also worth noting that Mormon volunteers in the civil war (for either side) were basically nil, which some people resented.

It's a transplanted stab-in-the-back myth: what minority shall the Union implausibly blame for its recent military loss? But while blaming the Mormons for losing the Civil War may be too ridiculous to be conceived of, you do have a people who don't want to be Americans stuck in America, they now have seen that succession can work, and the Confederacy may be happy to send their craziest, least representative members money (I bet they already have all the guns they need). Mormon assimilation is unlikely to be as easy as it was OTL.

Whereas in RL, the Mormon leadership was quite aware that the US could crush them if it felt like it, especially once the Civil War machine got rolling.

Writers have a steretype of crazed, mindless religious fanatics which doesn't square very well with the actual pragmatic Mormon leadership who kept a very close eye on events back east and who were dependent on the US for supplies/trade and transportation/transit for Mormon converts, and who *knew* they were dependent.

I suppose an especially ham-handed United States could provoke a real fight, but the most likely result would be the Mormons fleeing to Canada or Mexico, since they'd know they couldn't last in a real throwdown match.

Is there a word for when something always happens in TLs even though it makes little sense or is unnecessary?

It had come to violence already, although in a limited way, in 1857. Essentially, the Union wasn't going to let Utah be a state until they abolished polygamy, no way was Brigham Young going to abolish polygamy (and most of the Utahns at that point actively wished to be not-Americans), and there were still a sizable number of people in the upper midwest who remember driving the Mormons out of their communities and patting themselves on the back for it. It's also worth noting that Mormon volunteers in the civil war (for either side) were basically nil, which some people resented.

Meh. If the Mormons had held out another couple generations, three at most, the condition would have been dropped. Americans get used to strangeness. It's what we do.

It's a transplanted stab-in-the-back myth: what minority shall the Union implausibly blame for its recent military loss?

Well, the blacks, obviously. That's who they blamed for the secession before the war. That's who they blamed for everything (but especially the draft) during the war. Why should they stop after they lose much of the country and a war?

That's the biggest problem with Turtledove-ism: He conflates all oppressed minorities. Blonds have been Jews twice and blacks once in his writings. It's all a bit goofy. The Confederates kept blacks as slaves and second-class citizens, and yes, that's bad. But it has nothing to do with the position of the European Jews. Having the Confederates kill of their black population is like having the Junkers decide to give the Jews a pass and just wipe out all their serfs instead. It just doesn't bear on reality.

If any country in North America was going to become fueled with revenge and try to eliminate the blacks, it would have been the US. If you want a country to deliberately wipe out a third of its population, you aren't talking about Nazis. You're paralleling Cambodia - and the country is going to be just as successful.

But while blaming the Mormons for losing the Civil War may be too ridiculous to be conceived of, you do have a people who don't want to be Americans stuck in America, they now have seen that succession can work, and the Confederacy may be happy to send their craziest, least representative members money (I bet they already have all the guns they need). Mormon assimilation is unlikely to be as easy as it was OTL.

Why? Based on the federal-level treatment of religious majorities through the rest of US history, it should be easier. They're sitting on a strategic rail line and the country has failed at keeping secessionists in by force. At that point it makes more sense to compromise and give them some of what they want. Cracking down on them doesn't fit with the behavior of any OTL president that comes to mind. And anyway, it would be an open invitation for the CSA to meddle. Not that countries don't do stupid things, but I can't think offhand of any time the USA has every done that sort of stupid thing.

To my mind it does all boil down to parallelism.

It's a transplanted stab-in-the-back myth: what minority shall the Union implausibly blame for its recent military loss? But while blaming the Mormons for losing the Civil War may be too ridiculous to be conceived of, you do have a people who don't want to be Americans stuck in America, they now have seen that succession can work, and the Confederacy may be happy to send their craziest, least representative members money (I bet they already have all the guns they need). Mormon assimilation is unlikely to be as easy as it was OTL.

IIRC Americans didn't blame Mormons for losing the Civil War. It's been like a decade since I read How Few Remain, but I had the feeling the Mormon sedition shown in that book, causing Pope and Custer to occupy Utah, was that of opportunity, not resentment.

Whereas in RL, the Mormon leadership was quite aware that the US could crush them if it felt like it, especially once the Civil War machine got rolling.

Writers have a steretype of crazed, mindless religious fanatics which doesn't square very well with the actual pragmatic Mormon leadership who kept a very close eye on events back east and who were dependent on the US for supplies/trade and transportation/transit for Mormon converts, and who *knew* they were dependent.

I suppose an especially ham-handed United States could provoke a real fight, but the most likely result would be the Mormons fleeing to Canada or Mexico, since they'd know they couldn't last in a real throwdown match.

Why would they want to move again? The Salt Lake vicinity was supposed to be theirs, they got there first, the Easterners followed, why can't the Easterners stay out of Utah? Or so the thinking goes.

Fair point.

Is there a word for when something always happens in TLs even though it makes little sense or is unnecessary?

Stupid? Cliché? Well, there should be one, anyway.

Well, the blacks, obviously. That's who they blamed for the secession before the war. That's who they blamed for everything (but especially the draft) during the war. Why should they stop after they lose much of the country and a war?

That's the biggest problem with Turtledove-ism: He conflates all oppressed minorities. Blonds have been Jews twice and blacks once in his writings. It's all a bit goofy. The Confederates kept blacks as slaves and second-class citizens, and yes, that's bad. But it has nothing to do with the position of the European Jews. Having the Confederates kill of their black population is like having the Junkers decide to give the Jews a pass and just wipe out all their serfs instead. It just doesn't bear on reality.

If any country in North America was going to become fueled with revenge and try to eliminate the blacks, it would have been the US. If you want a country to deliberately wipe out a third of its population, you aren't talking about Nazis. You're paralleling Cambodia - and the country is going to be just as successful.

To my mind it does all boil down to parallelism.

It's parallelism, but not just that. It's not like HT sat there for a second and decided "black people will be the Jews in this story." Featherstonism seemed like a perfectly logical conclusion to fear of race conflict and servile insurrection that historically existed in Southern thinking since before the Revolution.