• B_Munro

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Ares96

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Beedok

Votes: 20 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lots of great entries this time around. It came down to Future8 or Kaiphranos for me, but in the end I voted for Future8, because a modernised Saudi Arabia with high-speed rail is instant win. Anything with high-speed rail is instant win, really.

I voted for B_Munro this time, because I am particularly fond of the idea of a Franco-Spanish union under a Bourbon monarch. And because this was one of his good maps.

It was a tough decision between Future8 and Kaiphranos; ultimately I chose randomly and went with Kai's.

Ares69's map was good, but had way to much text (which I could'nt even read, being in German) on it making it seem cluttered.

You know, it didn't occur to me until _after_ I started my map that Louis XIV was the originator of the contest title? It's true! :eek:

Bruce

This was a tough one... Loved B_Munro's map, as always, but I can never say no to anything involving Queen Zenobia... And then there was also the massive and loveable Haïti-wank (assuming I was reading that map correctly)...

Ares96's map was good, but had way to much text (which I could'nt even read, being in German) on it making it seem cluttered.

It's supposed to look that way. The typewritten bits were superimposed onto the map by the people planning the, well, plan.

I checked the challenge and restrictions, and there isn't a single thing my map doesn't comply with......

Krall

Banned
I checked the challenge and restrictions, and there isn't a single thing my map doesn't comply with......

The challenge was to make a map showing a world where a monarch from OTL (i.e. someone who was a monarch in our timeline, or was a pretender to a throne, or at least famously claimed to be a monarch) was more successful. Your map involved Tokugawa Yoshinobu being more successful than he was in our timeline, but Yoshinobu was not a monarch in our timeline so your entry did not meet those guidelines, I'm afraid.

The challenge was to make a map showing a world where a monarch from OTL (i.e. someone who was a monarch in our timeline, or was a pretender to a throne, or at least famously claimed to be a monarch) was more successful. Your map involved Tokugawa Yoshinobu being more successful than he was in our timeline, but Yoshinobu was not a monarch in our timeline so your entry did not meet those guidelines, I'm afraid.

Needlessly and unnecessarily pedantic, plus:

mon·arch   [mon-erk, -ahrk], noun
1. a hereditary sovereign, as a king, queen, or emperor.
2. a sole and absolute ruler of a state or nation.
3. a person or thing that holds a dominant position: a monarch of international shipping.
4. monarch butterfly.

Since the emperor only held nominal power, and the shogunate was hereditary and held actual power, I think it qualifies.

Krall

Banned
Needlessly and unnecessarily pedantic, plus:

mon·arch   [mon-erk, -ahrk], noun
1. a hereditary sovereign, as a king, queen, or emperor.
2. a sole and absolute ruler of a state or nation.
3. a person or thing that holds a dominant position: a monarch of international shipping.
4. monarch butterfly.

Since the emperor only held nominal power, and the shogunate was hereditary and held actual power, I think it qualifies.

I was going off of whether the title was/is widely considered to be and recognised as monarchical, which excludes Shogun. Requiring the entries to conform to that definition of "monarch" would also exclude elected monarchs and constitutional monarchs, which I do not think should be excluded.