WI: Failed Crossing of the Delaware?

Now, I'm not an expert, but I often hear that the victory of Washington over the Hessian army at Trenton on Christmas night, 1776, was absolutely crucial, not so much in defeating the enemy, but that it drew new recruits and allies to the cause. What if Johann Ross had posted more guards to watch the river? Would the Hessian be able to fight off the Americans even if they were prepared? Would the revolution fall apart if new recruits wouldn't come, and what would the additional pro-British army in the area have effects on?

Last edited:

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
Now, I'm not an expert, but I often hear that the victory of Washington over the Hessian army at Trenton on Christmas night, 1776, was absolutely crucial, not so much in defeating the enemy, but that it drew new recruits and allies to the cause. What if Johann Ross had posted more guards to watch the river? Would the Hessian be able to fight off the Americans even if they were prepared? Would the revolution fall apart if new recruits wouldn't come, and what would the additional pro-British army in the area have effects on?

A victory at Trenton wasn't really about new recruits(but it might well have been a factor), Washington was hoping he'd be able to hold on to the men he had. A failed crossing or worse a loss at Trenton wouldn't had changed the trajectory the Americans were on(which was a losing one). Had the Hessians been alert to an attack there's no doubt in my mind that the Americans would have lost and badly and on January the first Washington would wake up to no army and would have been devastating to the cause. Washington would have been fired on the spot and most likely replaced with Horatio Gates, a incompetent. Just read this excerpt from Wikipedia about the Battle of Camden:

Gates led Continental forces and militia south and prepared to face the British forces of Charles Cornwallis, who had advanced to Camden, South Carolina. In the Battle of Camden on August 16, Gates's army was routed, with nearly 1,000 men captured, along with the army's baggage train and artillery. Analysis of the debacle suggests that Gates significantly overestimated the capabilities of his inexperienced militia, an error magnified when he lined up those forces against the British right, traditional position of the strongest troops. He also failed to make proper arrangements for an organized retreat. Gates's only accomplishment in the unsuccessful campaign was to cover 170 miles (270 km) in three days on horseback, heading north in retreat. His disappointment was compounded by news of his son Robert's death in combat in October. Nathanael Greene replaced Gates as commander on December 3 and Gates returned home to Virginia.

It would be almost comical had it not led to the near destruction of his command.

There was a serious movement within Congress to replace Washington with Gates, which reached its climax at Valley Forge.