WI Union victory at first bull run

Jimmyson

Banned
What if the Union is able to gain a victory at the First Battle of Bull run instead of being routed as otl.

The Confederates would be FUBAR. Slavery would last much longer in the US due to no Emancipation Proclamation.
Actually I think that regardless of the length of the civil war, slavery would die off after the war ended if only because of the trouble it caused.

Jimmyson

Banned
Actually I think that regardless of the length of the civil war, slavery would die off after the war ended if only because of the trouble it caused.
Perhaps the border states, and depending on butterflies some states that may leave the CSA, and rejoin the Union are allowed to keep slavery. West Virginia may stay as part of Virginia. Abraham Lincoln will likely stay alive to oversee reconstruction, as the South's without its otl victorys, that made it appear that it had a chance of victory, will not have that many people looking for revenge against Lincoln (and even fewer willing to care it out.)

True, but it likely wouldn't go until 1868 at the least, as it would be harder to abolish in peacetime. And it would certainly take more time and be gradual, as opposed to the practically instant disappearance of slavery later on.

Only if the Union wins. If the CSA wins it lasts a long, long time. 40 years at the very least I would think.