Mormon terrorism in the US

JoeMulk

Banned
How could you get a timeline were the biggest domestic terrorism problem in the US ends up being with mormon fundamentalists?

How could you get a timeline were the biggest domestic terrorism problem in the US ends up being with mormon fundamentalists?
I can think of two things.

Thing one, Make it so the Mormon pilgrims that founded Utah CANNOT found Utah, or for that matter any other safe harbor.

Thing, Two, Give them a wingnut politician activist in the fifties-sixties that REALLY does not dig the civil rights revolution.- someothing a lot of people forget is that Mormonism, like many Offshoot Christian sexts had a lot of racism and sexism to it, before they realized as a body that they needed to mellow the Frack out just to be able to be allowed to exist.

I can think of two things.

Thing one, Make it so the Mormon pilgrims that founded Utah CANNOT found Utah, or for that matter any other safe harbor.

Thing, Two, Give them a wingnut politician activist in the fifties-sixties that REALLY does not dig the civil rights revolution.- someothing a lot of people forget is that Mormonism, like many Offshoot Christian sexts had a lot of racism and sexism to it, before they realized as a body that they needed to mellow the Frack out just to be able to be allowed to exist.

You would also need severer ongoing persecution.

Deleted member 40957

The best PoDs for this would probably be pre-1900. The conflict the Utah settlers had with the government becomes an actual shooting war between the US Army and the Nauvoo Legion (maybe due to a few more incidents like the Mountain Meadows Massacre which lead the Feds to believe that the Mormons are murderous cultists). Brigham Young is forced underground or killed and is never accepted as the Governor of Utah. The territory is placed under a military governor instead. The Mormons eventually see themselves as a persecuted minority and start a military campaign for an independent state of Deseret.

This leads to them being disenfranchised for decades as deliberate policy, and eventually they resort to terrorism.

The WBC may be mean-spirited and annoying, but it also avoids actually breaking laws because that way nobody can legally stop them. Tempting as it is, you can't really call them terrorists.

The WBC may be mean-spirited and annoying, but it also avoids actually breaking laws because that way nobody can legally stop them.
Fair point.

I think the main problem here is that most Christian demoninations, even the way-out ones are still the result of the fallout from the rennaisance and the Colonial enlightenment. This makes it pretty far fetched for an american Christian group to consider violence as a tool.

Fair point.

I think the main problem here is that most Christian demoninations, even the way-out ones are still the result of the fallout from the rennaisance and the Colonial enlightenment. This makes it pretty far fetched for an american Christian group to consider violence as a tool.

There IS christian-based (SMALL) terrorists groups, if you think about it. The guys who kill aborption docs and all that.

And the KKK is partially this, if you think about it. It is anti-catholics protestantism based (in the second form?). And antisemite, I heard as well.

Eh... How about Mormons ending in Deep South later, KKK-Mormons clashes...

There IS christian-based (SMALL) terrorists groups, if you think about it. The guys who kill aborption docs and all that.

And the KKK is partially this, if you think about it. It is anti-catholics protestantism based (in the second form?). And antisemite, I heard as well.

Eh... How about Mormons ending in Deep South later, KKK-Mormons clashes...

OK but the OP is talking about a fule on movement A La Al Qaida, or Hamas, or Islamic Jihad, not just random nuts with a grudge.

OK but the OP is talking about a fule on movement A La Al Qaida, or Hamas, or Islamic Jihad, not just random nuts with a grudge.

It is possible... If you darkens the portrait QUITE.

I could have seen it happening as a reactionary fight back in Jello Biaffra's tale, by example...

Given that mormonism is seemingly rejected by many Americans as un-christian and subject to various prejudices, it could get very nasty if you add mormon terrorism.

That's putting the cart before the horse. You need the extreme persecution in the first place to get the terrorism.