The Wilted Rose of Texas

...This all came to a head shortly before noon, Houston held a council of war with Edward Burleson, Sidney Sherman, Henry W. Millard, Alexander Somervell, Joseph L. Bennett, and*Lysander Wells. Two of the officers suggested attacking the enemy in his position; the others favored waiting on Santa Anna's attack. Houston withheld his own views at the council but later, after having formed his plan of battle had it approved by Rusk. Houston disposed his forces in battle order about 3:30 in the afternoon while all was quiet on the Mexican side during the afternoon siesta. The Texans' movements were screened by trees and the rising ground, and evidently Santa Anna had no lookouts posted. But, around 3:45 an unnamed member of the Texans forces discharged his firearm, allegedly when the soldier tripped on a tree root. This lead to several others opening fire on the Mexicans, fearing a Mexican advance. This volley, beginning before the battle line were formed alerted the Mexican forces to the Texan threat. Houston, fearing the collapse of the fight, ordered an immediate advance on the Mexican forces. After some confused scrambling and the re-ordering of the line, the Twin Sisters were wheeled into position, and the whole line, led by Houstan and his men, sprang forward on the run with the cry, "Remember the Alamo!" "Remember Goliad!" The battle lasted forty-five minutes. According to Santa Anna's official report, the casualties were 422 Texans were killed and 415 taken prisoner. Against this, only 157 of the 1,360 Mexicans were killed or mortally wounded and fifty-two were wounded less seriously. Houston and Lamar were killed during the attack. Rusk and Neill were captured by Mexican forces. The Mexicans would capture the Texan encampment, along with, due to surprised defenders being driven off, most of the supplies. Santa Anna, victorious and with prisoners in tow, returned to Mexican City to re-affirm his control over the country. While some token resistance to Mexican authorities would continue over the next few weeks, the Texas Revolution was for all intents and purposes, over.

-From “The Battle of San Jacinto,” The Handbook of Texas

TEXAN PRISONERS EXECUTED
New York Herald headline April 25th, 1836

The President has not been this angry since Rachel died. Houston was his friend, and he's taking his death as a personal slight against him. He's been pacing around his office, yelling at the ceiling over this coward Santa Anna, wishing he could challenge him to a duel. Be not worried, I have assured the President that a letter directly from Washington to Mexico City has little chance of reaching it's destination, so we have likely avoided that spectacle. But, he has begun to clamor for war, demanding the Congress take action. It won't be long before he marches to the Capitol and asks Congress for a Declaration of War. I don't have to tell you why this country cannot get entangled in such a war. If we can navigate this situation carefully, we can prevent the President from doing something the nation will regret, long enough for me to take Office. I am going to need you and the other Northern Democrats to demonstrate reason....

-From a Letter between Vice President Martin Van Buren and Senator Silas Wright – April 25th , 1836

PRESIDENT DEMANDS HOUSE AND SENATE DECLARE WAR
New York Herald headline May 1st, 1836

WHIGS TAKE SIDES ON WAR:
White with Jackson, Harrison Calls for Caution
New York Herald headline May 5th, 1836

HOUSE VOTES FOR WAR, DECLARATION ON TO SENATE
New York Herald headline May 10th, 1836

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first timeline that I've tried to write. As a back story to this I play a lot of Paradox games, Victoria in particular. I almost always play as America, because I'm American and that's what I like to know more about. When I get bored making an Ameriwank, I started roll playing as Presidents to make the game more interesting. After watching Texas get steamrolled by Mexico for the 50th time in Victoria, I decided to put down what was going on in my head into words, and give this writing thing a shot. The title is taken from a song called The Yellow Rose of Texas, allegedly about a mixed race woman who entertained and distracted Santa Anna before the battle. The song would be slightly different this go around. As this is my first ever timeline, I'm looking for input. I currently have notes going to 1846, but they are very vague and subject to change, at least on a micro scale. On a very macro level, this story is following my Victoria Game as I follow it, so a lot of electoral butterflies will be determine by game mechanics and dice rolls. So, yeah...hope you guys like it.

Last edited:
Intriguing. I always did wonder how badly the Texas Revolution would've fared with Texan defeat at San Jacinto, considering how overwhelmingly decisive it was IOTL.

Intriguing. I always did wonder how badly the Texas Revolution would've fared with Texan defeat at San Jacinto, considering how overwhelmingly decisive it was IOTL.

I did a little research on the Revolution before writing this, and found that San Jacinto was a good diverging point. Both sides had considerable forces and political might in one place, and while it was very lopsided to the Texans, it could very easily have gone the other way. So I decided that with the surprise assault botched, the Mexicans could pull off a victory, albeit a bloody one. With Houston gone as well as most of the advance force, I don't think Texas could have put up more of a fight...at least not without the help of America.

Yeah, but would Jackson declare was mostly because he lost one of his best friends?
sure the loss of other Americans is also a rational reason why, but at this moment (even before San Jacinto)Texas is not really a country....hell it is still a mexican territory.

(my knowledge of the Texas Rebellion isn't the best, so....)

Yeah, but would Jackson declare was mostly because he lost one of his best friends?
sure the loss of other Americans is also a rational reason why, but at this moment (even before San Jacinto)Texas is not really a country....hell it is still a mexican territory.

(my knowledge of the Texas Rebellion isn't the best, so....)

Hmmm, perhaps not. I do have an image of Andrew Jackson in my head built mostly built on Cracked articles and pre-concieved notions. Would it be more reasonable to suggest Jackson and Southern Democrats would be more inclined to overt efforts to hold Mexico's feet to the fire. Perhaps through an embargo and diplomatic pressure. There would have to be some reaction on America's part to seeing Americans, albeit technically ex-pats, crushed in a battle and the dream of an independent Texas destroyed, especially in the South. Maybe if there was another 'Goliad' massacre, where the captured Texans were put to death....I mean, it's only 10 years until Polk is shoving Mexico into a war, I don't think it's a huge stretch to take America to the brink of war.

Last edited:
To the casual historical observers, Vice President Martin Van Buren's actions in this time period would be hard to understand. But what's important to understand is that before he was one of the most prominent anti-slavery voices of his day, Martin Van Buren was walking a political tightrope in his efforts to win the Presidency. Personally he was very much oppose to a war over Texas, fearing the expansion of slavery into the west. But, Van Buren believed his political future depended on the support of President Andrew Jackson.

And so in the spring of 1836, he was trying to dodge an overt connection to this potential war with Mexico. While his supports were quietly sending signals in the South that he was a 'doughface,' that is, a Northerner with Southern leaning tendencies, much like then sitting Senator James Buchanan and incoming Senator Franklin Pierce; in the North they were quietly sending signals that he was in fact just a moderate Jacksonian. This was deemed necessary by Van Buren's supporters, due to the Harrison campaign in the North, and the White campaign in the South. All the while he was desperately pressing on Northern Democratic Senators behind closed doors to vote down the war. Ultimately his attempts to be all things to all people, would prove problematic for Van Buren in the months to come.

-From The New York Fox: The Life of Martin Van Buren, by Ryan Pierce, 1965

“It's not just about revenge, it's also about extending our society into those lands held by a despot. It was easy for America to sit on it's hands while Texas was in the fight, but now that they are on the ropes, we must step in and support our fellow Americans.”

-Hugh Lawson White (W-TN) on the Senate Floor, May 15th, 1836

“It is America's Destiny to spread across the continent, and the Texas Revolution was a fulfillment of that Destiny. Now that this Revolution has been defeated, the American People must take up the mantle directly, and take the Mexican holdings north of the Rio. It is vital to this nation's future.”

-John C. Calhoun (D-SC) on the Senate Floor, May 15th, 1836

“Why would she be sending young men into the deserts of Mexico? Anger? Revenge? 'Destiny?' Texans decided to rebel against Mexico, and were soundly defeated. It may require resolved, but it is not the place of the United States to attack Mexico, just because we don't like the result.”

-Daniel Webster (W-MA) on the Senate Floor, May 15th, 1836

“Frankly we don't have some sort of manifest destiny to move our borders west. These men died for their cause, and that cause is over, it is not our place to intervene. We should negotiate with the Mexican government to safe passage of all Americans still in Mexico, and cut loose the whole bloody affair.”

-Henry Clay (W-KY) on the Senate Floor, May 15th, 1836

President Van Buren: We now call to a vote the motion to initiate a state of war between the United States of America and the Republic of Mexico. The Roll Call for the vote shall be taken alphabetically.

Thomas Benton (D-MO): Aye
John Black (W-MS): Aye
Bedford Brown (D-NC): Aye
James Buchanan (D-PA): Aye
John C. Calhoun (D-SC): Aye

Aye= 5 Nay= 0

Henry Clay (W-KY): Nay
John Clayton (W-DE): Nay
John Crittenden (W-KY): Nay
Alfred Cuthbert (D-GA): Aye
John Davis (W-MA): Nay

Aye = 6 Nay = 4

Thomas Ewig (W-OH): Nay
William Ewing (D-IL): Nay
Robert Goldsborough (W-MD): Nay
Felix Grundy (D-TN): Aye
William Hendricks (W-IN): Nay

Aye = 7 Nay = 8

Isaac Hill (D-NH): Nay
Henry Hubbard (D-NH): Nay
Joseph Kent (W-MD): Nay
Alexander King (D-AL): Aye
John King (D-GA): Aye

Aye = 9 Nay = 11

Nehemiah Knight (W-RI): Nay
Benjamin Leigh (W-VA): Aye
Lewis Linn (D-MO): Aye
Willie Mangum (W-NC): Aye
Samuel McKean (D-PA): Aye

Aye = 13 Nay = 12
Gabriel Moore (W-AL): Aye
Thomas Morris (D-OH): Aye
Arnold Naudain (W-DE): Nay
Robert Nicholas (D-LA): Aye
John Niles (D-CT): Nay

Aye = 16 Nay = 14

Alexander Porter (W-LA): Aye
Samuel Prentiss (W-VT): Nay
William Preston (W-SC): Aye
William Rives (D-VA): Aye
Asher Robbins (W-RI): Nay

Aye = 19 Nay = 16
John Robinson(D-IL): Nay
John Ruggles (D-ME): Nay
Samuel Southard (W-NJ): Nay
Benjamin Swift (W-VT): Nay
Nathaniel Tallmadge (D-NY): Nay

Aye = 19 Nay = 21

John Tipton (D-IN): Aye
Gideon Tomlinson (W-CT): Nay
Garret Wall (D-NJ): Aye
Robert Walker (D-MS): Aye
Daniel Webster (W-MA): Nay

Aye = 22 Nay = 23

Hugh White (W-TN): Aye
Silas Wright (D-NY): Nay
Aye = 23 Nay = 24

President Van Buren: The Ayes are 23, the Nays are 24, the motion fails.

-Transcript from Roll Call Vote on the Declaration of War on Mexico, May 15th, 1836

WAR DECLARATION DEFEATED BY ONE VOTE
New York Herald headline May 16th, 1836

I must thank you again for orchestrating the failure of the war declaration. I just wish the margin had been a wider one. The President knows that you are my man, and the whole affair seems to have cast me in suspicion. In the last few weeks are meetings have been short and to the point. And rumor has it, the President has been in contact with Senator White. It would seem that those two have overcome their differences, at least in this regard. I must regain the President's confidences in the next few weeks, for fear of what effect his coolness will have on the election. Any advice you can bestow would be greatly appreciated.

-From a Letter between Vice President Martin Van Buren and Senator Silas Wright – June 15th , 1836

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the latest update. I think I may go back to update the previous section to have Santa Anna's force execute the prisoners in Mexico City, Goliad style to make Jackson, and the South's, reaction more understandable.

We're now going to take a quick detour to discuss a man who's situation is quite a bit different from the others discussed. David Burnet is a name, at least in certain parts of the United States, as someone akin to Benedict Arnold. This seems an injustice for a man who served his cause to the best of his ability. As the man chosen as the President of Texas in 1836, the responsibility of independence fell on his shoulders. And when the Battle of San Jacinto proved a devastating loss for the Texans, Burnet had to decide whether to continue the fight or not. From a logistical standpoint, the Texan cause could not survive without support from the United States, support that was narrowly defeated by the Senate in April 1836. The only responsible decision for Burnet, from a life saving perspective, was to surrender to Mexico, which he did on June 18th. He did successfully negotiate the release of survivors of the Mexican City Massacre, and safe passage of any who wanted to leave Mexican territory. But Burnet's reputation would not survive. There's a legend that Thomas Rusk laid eyes on Burnet after being released, he spit at the man's feet and stormed off without saying a word. Finding himself hated amongst the people his fellow Texans, and notorious in the United States. In 1837 he sold everything he owned and went into a self imposed exile in the Oregon Territory.

-From Whom Can We Trust Now: The Meaning of Treason in the United States, from the Revolution through the Civil War, by Brian Carso, 2002

The defeated Texans found themselves in a state of limbo. There standard bearer Samuel Houston had been killed in the fight, and now they were forced out of Mexican Territory. They were angry at the United States, particularly the north for abandoning them in their time of need. But with nowhere else to go, the surviving leaders of the Texas Revolution, notably Stephen Austin and Thomas Rusk, organized the remnants of the Texas and lead them into Louisiana in early July, 1836. They had negotiated ahead of time with Governor Edward White, who agreed to meet the oncoming Texans at the border. Word quickly spread, and other prominent officials made the trip to Louisiana. The one that would mean the most for the Texans in the time to come was Senator Hugh Lawson White. Senator White had voted in favor of war with Mexico, and at the time was the Southern Whig candidate for the Presidency. Austin, in meeting Senator White, would suddenly find his cause for the time to come. Here was a man who had stood beside Texas, and might be able to ensure it's rise again if he were to ascend to the White House. Austin would become White's most vocal supporter in the months to come, and he would mobilize his men throughout the South and work to get these states behind White's candidacy.

-From Patriots Without a Home: Texans after the Collapse of their Revolution, by Ryan Pierce. 1963

PAPER MONEY BANNED FOR PUBLIC LAND BY EXECUTIVE ORDER
New York Herald headline July 12th, 1836

JACKSON INFLUENCES FOR VAN BUREN
Nashville Republican Editorial, July 15th, 1836

Jackson's confidence had been shaken in his successor. He had spent the last two years working the strings of the Democratic Party to ensure that Martin Van Buren would follow him into the Presidency. In public he ostensibly put on a face of neutrality in the fair, an effort not always successful. After the Senate voted down the war Resolution, that neutral face seemed to become the real one. He would speak very little on the election in public or in private. The one thing he did for his Vice President, was reject an entreaty to endorse Senator White for President. While the Senator and the President had begun to repair their falling out, but not enough for Jackson to completely abandon Van Buren. But, while the Nashville Republican attacked Van Buren on a daily basis, Jackson refused to involve himself in the affair.

-From American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House, by Jon Meacham
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, I'm moving the 'present' a little farther down the way. I've little left to say on 1836, so my next post should be about the 1836 election.

MISSIPPI GOES FOR WHITE

After a count of all of the ballots, it is clear that the state of Missippi will cast it's electoral votes for Senator Hugh White. They join the ranks of other Patriotic Southern states like Tennessee and Georgia, the two other states counted their votes. But, Mississippi has also shown it's dedication to the cause by electing Whig Thomas Word in the Special Election to fill the Congressional seat vacated by the death of fellow Whig David Dickson. Congressman -elect Word will take his seat early in December.
-Headline Story from the Nashville Republican, November 29th, 1836

VAN BUREN FALLS SHORT

genusmap.php

Votes for President:
Martin Van Buren: 131 – 650,138 - 43.3%
William Henry Harrison: 85 – 565,328 – 37.6%
Hugh Lawson White: 53 - 24,4707 - 16.3%
Daniel Webster: 14 – 41,947 - 2.8%
Willie Mangum: 11
Other: 1,234 - .1%

Votes for Vice President:
Richard Johnson: 108
Francis Granger: 89
John Tyler: 74
William Smith: 23

With the ballots now counted in Connecticut, Arkansas and North Carolina, it can be determined that Vice President Martin Van Buren failed to receive a majority in the electoral college. For the third time in our nation's history, it will be up to Congress to decide on the Presidency...
-Headline Story from the New York Herald, December 8th, 1836

Just a quick update. I plan on writing a historical analysis of the election for the next post...I am open to any comments and suggestions. I have an idea of where I see this going in my head, but I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say.

Last edited:
DEMOCRATS RETAIN CONGRESS

The states have announced their delegations to Congress. The House Representatives will be composed of 122 Democrats, 107 Whigs, 7 Anti-Masonic and 6 Nullifiers. The House Democrats have indicated that James K. Polk will remain as Speaker. The Senate will be composed of 31 Democrats, and 21 Whigs. The Democrats have indicated that William King will remain as PPT.

-Headline Story from the New York Herald, December 10th, 1836

The results of the Presidential election was not warmly received by Van Buren. He did expect this result, what with Texans campaigning in the South, but he had hoped to put himself over the top. In point of fact he had only lost Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Arkansas by a few hundred votes each. But even if he had managed to put those states in his column, that would have left him 2 votes short of a majority. Van Buren allowed himself a week of quiet seething and the injustice of the situation, withdrawing from the public. But, by Christmas Van Buren had steeled his resolve, and began writing letters furiously to Democratic Congressman. He was going to do what he could to avoid repeating Jackson's mistake in 24.

-From The New York Fox: The Life of Martin Van Buren, by Ryan Pierce, 1965

SENATE CHOOSES JOHNSON
New York Herald headline February 9th, 1837

NO DECISION IN HOUSE

The Presidential election remains undecided, as no candidate has received a majority in the House. The vote went down party lines with the exception of Alabama, where Dixon Lewis (D) demonstrated once again his Nullifier loyalty and voted for Senator White. While the Democrats have almost as twice as many Representatives as the Whigs and Anti-Masons, the distribution of the parties lead to this result. The votes of each state delgate can be found below:

Vice President Martin Van Buren: 12 delegations
General William Henry Harrison: 6 Delegations
Senator Hugh Lawson White: 5 Delegations
Deadlocked: 3 Delegations

Alabama: White / 3-2
Arkansas: Van Buren / 1-0
Connecticut: Van Buren / 6-0
Delaware: Harrison / 1-0
Georgia: Van Buren / 8 - 1
Illinois: Van Buren / 2 -1
Indiana: Van Buren / 5-2
Kentucky:Harrison / 9 - 4
Louisiana: White / 2-1
Maine: Van Buren / 6-2
Maryland: Deadlocked / 4-4
Massachusetts: Harrison / 11-1
Michigan: Van Buren / 1-0
Mississippi: Deadlocked / 1-1
Missouri: Deadlocked / 1-1
New Hampshire: Van Buren / 5-0
New Jersey: Van buren / 5-1
New York: Van Buren / 32 – 8
North Carolina: White / 7-6
Ohio: Harrison / 10-9
Pennsylvania: Van Buren / 18-10
Rhode Island: Harrison / 2-0
South Carolina: White / 7-2
Tennessee: White / 9-4
Vermont:Harrison / 5-0
Virginia: Van Buren / 16-5

-Headline Story from the New York Herald, February 10th, 1837

/--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have read Fear, Loathing and Gumbo, why do you ask? Heh. I gave the Mississippi Special Election to the Whig before I had decided to flip Alabama from Van Buren, as I originally had it in my notes. I hadn't realized that the one congressman there had switched parties between elections. Anyway, we'll see where things go in the time to come.

Last edited:
With Van Buren failing to obtain a majority in the House the Whigs found themselves in a strong, if precarious position. When combined, the two Whig candidates were just three states shy of obtaining the Presidency. The math just wasn't there for the Whigs to win the Presidency with this Congress. But, with incoming Freshmen the Whigs had a real shot at winning the Presidency with the new Congress. This was pnly if they could unite under one candidate, however. They needed to find a compromise between the Harrison and White camps and to further complicate matters, neither Harrison or White could risk offending Clay or Webster, losing their support and thus the election.

On February 15th, 1837 there was a meeting behind closed doors between some of the most powerful members of the Whig Party at that time. General William Henry Harrison, Senator Hugh Lawson White, Senator Thomas Ewig, Congresman John Bell, Senator Henry Clay, Senator John Crittenden, Senator Daniel Webster, Senator John Davis. These men would be in heated negotiation for the entire day before negotiating a vision for a Whig Presidency. Over the next few days, several components of this agreement would be released to the public. These include:

-Senator Hugh Lawson White will withdraw his candidacy and pledge his support to General William Henry Harrison. In a Harrison administration, White will be nominated as Attorney General.
-Harrison's administration would pursue a modified version of the American System that includes the revival of the National Bank, but would keep tariffs low.
-The Specie Circular, Jackson's Executive Order banning paper money for the purchase of government land, would be rescinded.
-The Second Seminole War will be directly addressed, and a peace negotiated.
-Harrison will respect state's rights and oppose efforts to expand executive power, as seen during the Nullification Crisis.

-From The Rise an Fall of the Whig Party, by Michael Holt, 1999

SENATOR JOHNSON TO BE ACTING PRESIDENT

Unless this Congress can decide on a candidate today, Senator Richard Johnson, the Democratic Nominee for Vice President, will become Acting President at noon tomorrow. There was only a slight change since Senator Hugh White pledged his support to General William Harrison. Former Nullifier Congressman Dixon Lewis of Alabama continued to support Senator White, after other Whigs in his state switched to General Harrison. Due to this, Alabama is now a deadlocked state. The duty of selecting the next President will fall upon the incoming 25th Congress. The final tally is:

Van Buren: 12
Harrison: 8
White: 2
Deadlocked: 4

Senator Johnson has been a controversial figure in Washington because of his self proclaimed common law marriage to his slave Julia Chinn. This relationship was the specific reason given for why the Virginia electors refused to support Johnson.....

-Headline Story from the New York Herald, March 3rd, 1837

A real quick update, as it's been a couple days without one.

I did a little research on the Revolution before writing this, and found that San Jacinto was a good diverging point.
in more ways than one. San Jacinto worked only because the Mexicans had split up their forces (Santa Anna's best generals were off somewhere else) and Santa Anna himself was captured alive and well and was basically forced to sign the peace treaty; his generals elsewhere commanded enough forces between them to squash Houston's little force, but felt like they couldn't go against Santa Anna's signing of the treaty. So there are at least 3 PODs concerning San Jacinto:
the Mexicans win the battle.
The Texans win, but Santa Anna is killed in the battle (and thus unable to sign the treaty)
The Texans win, capture Santa Anna, and force him to sign the treaty, but SA's generals refuse to honor it, and pounce on Houston's army.
Maybe not, but the death that really pissed off the average American was that of Davy Crockett... he was a real hero to a lot of the nation, and his death (and rumored/possible execution as a POW) prompted a lot of sympathy and support for the Texans (a fair number of US regular soldiers promptly deserted and went to Texas). Crockett's death followed by Houston's would probably send the country into war fever in a hurry...

This is really good! Keep it up!

Thanks! I'm going to try and push out mini-updates on a regular basis with the occasional longer one.

in more ways than one. San Jacinto worked only because the Mexicans had split up their forces (Santa Anna's best generals were off somewhere else) and Santa Anna himself was captured alive and well and was basically forced to sign the peace treaty; his generals elsewhere commanded enough forces between them to squash Houston's little force, but felt like they couldn't go against Santa Anna's signing of the treaty. So there are at least 3 PODs concerning San Jacinto:
the Mexicans win the battle.
The Texans win, but Santa Anna is killed in the battle (and thus unable to sign the treaty)
The Texans win, capture Santa Anna, and force him to sign the treaty, but SA's generals refuse to honor it, and pounce on Houston's army.

Maybe not, but the death that really pissed off the average American was that of Davy Crockett... he was a real hero to a lot of the nation, and his death (and rumored/possible execution as a POW) prompted a lot of sympathy and support for the Texans (a fair number of US regular soldiers promptly deserted and went to Texas). Crockett's death followed by Houston's would probably send the country into war fever in a hurry...

Those are good PODs. I did briefly consider killing Santa Anna, but he was spared and victorious, because I wanted a slightly stronger Mexico walking away from this situation.

I didn't really know about the public/soldiers thoughts on the death of Davy Crockett, but it does makes sense. So with my retcon of having the survivors of San Jacinto executed, coupled with Houston and Crockett's death I think the war fervor is not terribly surprising...and the failure of it's passage would lead to Van Buren being unable to seal the deal. Oh, and Congressman John Crockett may be making an appearance in the future looking to avenge his father's death.

25th CONGRESS

United States Senate*
21 Whigs
31 Democrats
PPT: William King (D-AL)

Al 2: William King (D)
AL 3: Gabriel Moore (W-I); Incumbent Senator Moore defeated challenger John McKinley (D)
AK 2: William S. Fulton (D)
AK 3: Amrbose Sevier (D -H); Incumbent Senator Sevier was re-elected without any competition
CT 1: John Niles (D)
CT 3: Gideon Tomlinson (W-I); Incumbent Senator Tomlinson defeated challenger Perry Smith (D)
DE 1: Richard Bayard (W)
DE 2: Thomas Clayton (W)
GA 3: Alfred Cuthbert (D); Incumbent Senator Cuthbert defeated challenger William C. Dawson (W)
GA 2: John P. King (D)
IL 2: John Robinson (D)
IL 3: William Ewig(D); Incumbent Senator Ewing defeated challenger Richard Young (D)
IN 1: John Tipton (D)
IN 3: William Hendricks(W); Incumbent Senator defeated challenger Oliver Smith (W)
KY 3: Henry Clay (W); Incumbent Senator Henry Clay was re-elected without any competition
KY 2: John J. Crittenden(W)
LA 2: Robert Nicholas (D)
LA 3: Andre Roman (W); After Senator Porter's resignation, Governor Roman, the winner in the election, was sent to the Senate in January
ME 2: John Ruggles (D)
ME 1: Reuel Williams (D); Senator Williams was elected to replace Judah Dana who stood in for Ether Shepley when they resigned.
MD 1: William Merrick (W)
MD 3: John Spence (W); After Senator Goldsborough's death, Congressmen Spence, the winner in the election, was sent to the Senate in December
MA 1: Rufus Choate (W)
MA 2: John Davis (W)
MI 1: Lucius Lyon(D); Lyon took office on January 26th, being selected by the new state of Michigan
MI 2: John Norvell (D); Norvell took office on January 26th, being selected by the new state of Michigan

MS 1: John Black (W)
MS 2: Robert Walker (D)
MO 1: Thomas Benton (D)
MO 3: Lewis Linn (D); Senator Linn was re-elected without any competition.
NH 2: Henry Hubbard (D)
NH 3: Franklin Pierce (D); Congressman Franklin Pierce unseated Incumbent Senator Page (D)
NJ 1: Samuel Southard (W)
NJ 2: Garret Wall (D)
NY 3: Silas Wright (D); Senator Wright was re-elected without any competition.
NY 1: Nathaniel Talmadge (D)
NC 2: Bedford Brown (D)
NC 3: William Graham (W); Senator William Graham defeated Robert Strange (D) to replace Senator Willie Mangum and took office December 5th, 1836
OH 1: Thomas Morris (D)
OH 3: William Allen (D); Congressman William Allen defeated Incumbent Senator Thomas Ewing (W)
PA 1: Samuel McKean (D)
Pa 3: James Buchanan (D-H); Senator Buchanan was re-elected without any competition
RI 2: Nehemiah Knight (W)
RI 1: Asher Robbins (W)
SC 2: John Calhoun (D)
SC 3: William Preston (W); Senator Preston, formerly a Nullifier, was re-elected without any competition
TN 2: John W. Crockett (W)
TN 1: Felix Grundy (D)
VT 3: Samuel Prentiss (W); Senator Prentiss was re-elected without any competition
VT 1: Benjamin Swift (W)
VA 1: William Rives (D)
VA 2: William Roane (D)

*Senate seats elected in this past year are bolded for ease of reading

United States House of Representatives*
122 Democrats
107 Whigs
7 Anti-Masonic
6 Nullifier
Speaker: James Polk (D-TN)

Alabama: 3 Democrats, 2 Whigs
Arkansas: 1 Democrat
Connecticut: 6 Democrats
Delaware: 1 Whig
Illinois: 3 Democrats
Georgia: 5 Whigs, 4 Democrats
Indiana: 6 Whigs, 1 Democrat
Kentucky: 12 Whigs, 1 Democrat
Louisiana: 2 Whigs, 1 Democrat
Maine: 6 Democrats, 2 Whigs
Maryland: 4 Democrats, 4 Whigs
Massachusetts: 10 Whigs, 2 Democrats
Michigan: 1 Democrat
Mississippi: 2 Whigs
Missouri: 2 Democrats
New Hampshire: 5 Democrats
New Jersey: 6 Whigs
New York: 30 Democrats, 10 Whigs
North Carolina: 8 Whigs, 5 Democrats
Ohio: 11 Whigs, 8 Democrats
Pennsylvania: 18 Democrats, 7 Anti-Masonic, 3 Whigs
Rhode Island: 2 Whigs
South Carolina: 5 Nullifiers, 2 Democrats, 1 Whig
Tennessee: 10 Whigs, 3 Democrats
Vermont: 4 Whigs, 1 Democrat
Virginia: 15 Democrats, 6 Whigs

*To prevent this article from running overlong, the names of Representatives will be listed in tomorrow's paper.

-Second Story from the New York Herald, March 3rd, 1837
Here's an update on the incoming Congress, something I hope to do every Congressional election. I will be definitely trying to keep the Senate one up to date, as there were a bunch of Senators and Generals running for President in this time frame.

I had a number of Whigs and Democrats in mind, and then picked the most logical places to make that happen. Some incumbents were able to beat off challengers due to their war vote, with Gabriel Moore's win in Alabama being the most important. His challenger was John McKinley, who after winning IOTL was nominated to the Supreme Court by Martin Van Buren. Alas, having lost he just doesn't have the staying power to get a nomination in the future.

Last edited:
The Presidency or Acting Presidency, the very label being a matter of historical debate, of Richard Johnson was a peculiarity, but not terribly eventful. President Jackson and Vice President-Elect Johnson would ride to the Capitol together, setting a precedent seen to this day. Upon giving the Oath of Office to Chief Justice Taney, Acting President Johnson gave what is shortest inaugural speeches.

“I solemnly take on this responsibility as bestowed upon me by the Constitution of the United States. Until such time that a President can be decided by this Congress, I will endeavor to be an able Caretaker of this office.”

Four hours later, his authority as Acting President was brought to a close.

- From Richard Johnson, the Accidental (Acting) President, by Edward Crapol, 2006

HARRISON INAUGURATED AS PRESIDENT

General William Henry Harrison was selected by the House of Representatives to be President yesterday, and was inaugurated immediately after the results were determined. The first ballot of the 25th Congress was deadlocked, with Harrison receiving 12 states, Van Buren receiving 10, White Receiving 2 States, and 2 Deadlocked States. After a 15 minute break, a second ballot was held. Congressman Dixon Lewis of Alabama changed his vote from Senator White to Harrison, tipping Alabama, and Tennessee's Delegation also changed their support from White to Harrison. The final count was Harrison: 14, Van Buren: 10, White: 1, with 1 Deadlock.

Alabama: Harrison / 3-2
Arkansas: Van Buren / 1-0
Connecticut: Van Buren / 6-0
Delaware: Harrison / 1-0
Georgia: Harrison / 5 - 4
Illinois: Van Buren / 3-0
Indiana: Harrison / 6-1
Kentucky:Harrison / 9 - 4
Louisiana: Harrison / 2-1
Maine: Van Buren / 6-2
Maryland: Deadlocked / 4-4
Massachusetts: Harrison / 10-2
Michigan: Van Buren / 1-0
Mississippi: Harrison / 2-0
Missouri: Van Buren / 2-0
New Hampshire: Van Buren / 5-0
New Jersey: Harrison / 6-0
New York: Van Buren / 30 – 10
North Carolina: Harrison/ 8-5
Ohio: Harrison / 11-8
Pennsylvania: Van Buren / 18-10
Rhode Island: Harrison / 2-0
South Carolina: White / 7-2
Tennessee: Harrison / 10-3
Vermont:Harrison / 4-1
Virginia: Van Buren / 15-6

After taking the Oath and giving his inaugural address, President Harrison announced his cabinet, and announced that Senator John Crittenden of Kentucky would be nominated to ascend to the newly created seat on the Supreme Court. The President also stated that the Speci Circular would be rescinded. The President stated that the official nominations and Executive Order would be made upon his arrival at the Executive Mansion. The President's cabinet will consist of:

Secretary of State
Senator Daniel Webster (W-MA)

Secretary of Treasury
Former Senator Thomas Ewing (W-OH)

Secretary of War
Congressman John Bell (W-TN)

Attorney General
Senator Hugh Lawson White (W-TN)

Postmaster General
Former Congressman Francis Granger (W-NY)

Secretary of the Navy
Former Senator John Tyler (W-VA)

-Headline Story from the New York Herald, March 5th, 1837

--------------------------------------------------------------
Another quick update. Yes, Harrison will be the President of the United States. It should be noted that I corrected some previous posts to reflect more accurate Congressional numbers, because I miscounted. This did not change the overall results.

Those are good PODs. I did briefly consider killing Santa Anna, but he was spared and victorious, because I wanted a slightly stronger Mexico walking away from this situation.

Santa Anna living any longer only hurts Mexico.

Also, Jackson apparently had plans to go to war if the Texans were on the verge of defeat IOTL, so you're more than good there. Might be more Jackson-Van Buren friction than you mentioned, or more likely, Van Buren caves.

Santa Anna living any longer only hurts Mexico.

Also, Jackson apparently had plans to go to war if the Texans were on the verge of defeat IOTL, so you're more than good there. Might be more Jackson-Van Buren friction than you mentioned, or more likely, Van Buren caves.

Hmmm, well is there anybody in Mexico at the time who can fill the void if Santa Anna were to die, and make Mexico slightly better off than it was now?

And I suppose there could be an actual war declaration that is quickly wrapped up by Harrison when he took office, but I kind of like Van Buren losing on...principle? I may be gearing towards a Mexican-American War at some point, just not at this moment.

Last edited:
And I suppose there could be an actual war declaration that is quickly wrapped up by Harrison when he took office, but I kind of like Van Buren losing on...principle? I may be gearing towards a Mexican-American War at some point, just not at this moment.

If Van Buren won't go to war right away, perhaps it's because he overhears something - even mishears - or takes out of context - that makes it sound like the South is hungry for territory to overwhelm the North. He coudl then be gainst it because of the Missouri Cormpomise, too.

If he scuttles war talk it could really turn Jackson against him. Jackson not supporting him would be enough to have him lose, given the President's popularity.

Of coruse, witht he Panic of 1837 abuot to come, will Harrison be blamed? Will Van Buren come into office in 1840 on an "I told you so" platform?

If Van Buren won't go to war right away, perhaps it's because he overhears something - even mishears - or takes out of context - that makes it sound like the South is hungry for territory to overwhelm the North. He coudl then be gainst it because of the Missouri Cormpomise, too.

If he scuttles war talk it could really turn Jackson against him. Jackson not supporting him would be enough to have him lose, given the President's popularity.

Of coruse, witht he Panic of 1837 abuot to come, will Harrison be blamed? Will Van Buren come into office in 1840 on an "I told you so" platform?

That's a good point on the Van Buren/Jackson relationship. I plan on writing another passage for American Fox and go into that a bit.

Now my question for the group is this...if the Panic of 1837 was caused by a combination of the death of the National Bank and the Specie Circular being Ordered, would the Circular's revocation and a President dedicated to restoring the Bank make the Panic more gentle, if not outright butterfly it away?

Sorry for the delay in posting. The world just got reset in my USA government simulation (usgovsim.net/USG) and I'm running an election campaign, so I've been busy. And then my landlord died further complicating things. So when life calms down a bit, I'll update this.