Fate of Iceland without WW2/Occupation of Denmark?

Iceland was personal union with Denmark since 1918. This union ended during WW2. But what if there wouldn't be WW2 or Germany didn't occupy Denmark? Could personal union survive until this day or become Iceland fully indepent state? And if Iceland would become indepent who care about defense? Or does Iceland form its own army?

You mean completely without a WW2?

If there is cold war, the US would still like it as a base.

The independence movement is quite strong and popular at the time, and I don´t think Denmark really is willing to force Iceland to stay in an union.

But perhaps without WW2 proving Iceland´s capability the vote goes in favour of keeping the union.

It´s unlikely but it´s not impossible I think.

Lalli, please delete the duplicate post. Go to 'Edit' and choose the delete option.

Iceland was personal union with Denmark since 1918. This union ended during WW2. But what if there wouldn't be WW2 or Germany didn't occupy Denmark? Could personal union survive until this day or become Iceland fully indepent state? And if Iceland would become indepent who care about defense?
Interestingly, the constitution / law regulating Iceland's relationship with Denmark was up for renewal in ?'44?. Given Denmark was Nazi occupied, the Icelanders took the occasion to unilaterally change terms, making themselves independent.

With no WWII, I'm guessing the '44 renewal would involve re-negotiation and more autonomy, and that they'd later mutually agree to a total split probably in the '60s. It's possible, I suppose that a 'Danish Commonwealth' kind of thing might be the end result (i.e. with the 'King of Iceland' being the same person as the 'King of Denmark', similar to how the 'Queen of Canada' is the same person as the 'Queen of England').

As for who would defend it, that would depend a lot on what the threats were. OTL Iceland has NO military, but has a significant US/NATO presence, so the Soviets wouldn't likely dare (have dared) attack.

TTL, who knows. Iceland is way too small for an effective defence against any major power, whether they have a formal military or not. So. Do they trust in Alliances? or have a British or an American (or possibly Canadian?) presence there? Depends on how the TL flows.

'No WWII' encompasses SO MANY possibilities, it's hard to say what the world would look like (even a tiny corner) unless you narrow done the options.

Well if Iceland stays linked to Denmark closely enough to be included in the EEC then there's no Cod War and Britain fishing industry is saved. Of course come the 80's and the Spanish and Portugese fishing fleets would pick the fish stocks clean.