WI: Multiple Jewish States

Over the 19th and 20th centures various suggestions for a Jewish state have come up, most never getting off the ground or everybody moving to Israel at the earliest opportunity.

Could we get a TL where multiple states exist, and are encouraged by Israel?

Probable intended to be an alliance of Jewish states for mutual support and defense.

Thande

Donor
One of Tony Jones' TLs has this (I think it's Cliveless World). There's one Israel in Texas and another in Madagascar, and their leaderships don't get on.

I highly doubt more than one Jewish state would be wanted, or even possible. However, if by some miracle, a second Jewish state existed, it would likely be placed smugly between Germany and Poland. Perhaps, after WWII, the influx of Jewish peoples into Palestine creates enough anger from Muslim Palestinians that the European powers offer an alternative Jewish state in Europe. Israel still ends up forming anyway, and Israel and the other state (name it what you want) form a pact. The European state adopts Israel's system of govt and becomes a buffer state between all of Germany and NATO and East Europe and the Warsaw Pact. Israel is antagonized by the surrounding Arab States, just like OTL. The European State has issues with the neighboring Soviet bloc. How's that sound?

How about a Communist Israel (possibly carved out of Germany) in the Soviet bloc, and a non-Communist Israel either in the M-East or also carved out of Germany.

How about at Potsdam, the allies agree to give some German territory to the Jews. The territory, like Germany itself and Berlin, and Austria is initially divided into occupation zones. Eventually the UK/US/French zones become West-Israel, and the Soviet zones becomes East-Israel.

Or

Stalin lives a bit longer. WW2 goes a bit different. After the Doctor's plot, anti-semitism or at least deportation of the Jews is unleashed in the USSR. A Jewish statelet is formed either in the USSR, or in territory carved from the GDR, and populated with Jews rounded up from all over the Communist bloc. Meanwhile, a second Israel is formed in the M-East.

The Zionist movement accepts the Uganda Offer. Some Zionist immigration into Palestine continues regardless. Assuming events in Europe play out as OTL, then post-WW2, a small Jewish state emerges in Palestine (something akin to the Peel Commission Plan), as well as a Jewish "New Zion" in E. Africa.

That's the only plausible TL I can imagine where there are two Jewish-majority states.

Wolfpaw

Banned
I've always been intrigued by the idea of two Jewish states, one Hebrew and the other Yiddish. My guess is that they would not get along. At all.

I think Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union might be helpful here. His POD involves Anthony Dimond dying in a timely car accident, thereby allowing FDR and Ickes to establish a refugee zone outside of Sitka, Alaska, as was proposed IOTL.

So, let's say that a bunch of Jews make it to Alaska before the American-Nazi war. Since many of these are probably going to be Ashkenazi, you have yidishkeyt as the dominant culture there.

Let us assume that Israel still emerges, but is rejected by the more religious anti-Zionists in Alaska.

So while we don't have two independent Jewish states, we have two very different poles for Jewry; a Yiddish Sitka and a Zionist Israel.

One of Tony Jones' TLs has this (I think it's Cliveless World). There's one Israel in Texas and another in Madagascar, and their leaderships don't get on.

As well doesn't EdT's Fight and Be Right feature an *Israel in Australia and another in Palestine?

I highly doubt more than one Jewish state would be wanted,
Think of it as not putting all your eggs in one basket, they know Israel is in a precarious situation so multiple Jewish dominated states means places of assured refuge in case of a new diaspora.

Israel having colonies would also work, but multiple states might be more acceptable these days. Though if you can figure out how to get modern Israel colonial holdings, outside the MidEast or it's missing the point.

Well, it's not the most likely outcome, but I am partial to the idea of a semi-independent Jewish region in Manchuria or the Kanto Leased Territory as part of the Fugu Plan. I can actually think of a few PoDs to get the population growing. Japan could be more generous with visas (more Sugiharas?), the Chinese community in Shanghai could move there or be forced to move there, the Soviet Union could force or encourage the Jews in Siberia to leave...