Canadian First Nations political party, at the federal level

I was thinking, with Nanavut having its own self government, what are the chances that a First Nations party could form and have a seat or two in Parliament.

The likely places that they might get the vote is in northern Quebec and the territories. The start might be in 1990 with Oka then in 1993 with the fall of the PCs and the rise of the the PQ in the Quebec and the referendum in 1995 there might be enough will among the First Nations to try and start their own party.

Anyone know of any reasons why that might not happen and what major PoD might need to occur for a party like that to rise?

Another issue might be, that if they did form, do you see the Green Party trying to tie themselves this new party?

South of the Territories, there just aren't enough concentrations of First Nations people. The only possible way for such a party to exist is if seats are reserved for aboriginals, like in New Zealand and Taiwan. And sometimes First Nations interests contradict with environmental issues, so the Green Party is unlikely to cooperate.

South of the Territories, there just aren't enough concentrations of First Nations people. The only possible way for such a party to exist is if seats are reserved for aboriginals, like in New Zealand and Taiwan. And sometimes First Nations interests contradict with environmental issues, so the Green Party is unlikely to cooperate.

Agreed you'd need a system like NZ to get a Aboriginal/First Nations party in Canada. Best chance for that would be having a POD around Meech Lake IMO. However, how many seats the Natives would want/settle for I have no clue...

There are already two minor federal-level First Nations political parties in Canada, so why another one when there's already one?

Dan's right, there are a couple of parties already. I'm sure at least one was active in the recent Ontario election.

NWT, Nunavut, Labrador, and northern Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan do or could provide federal ridings with significant numbers of Aboriginal voters. This would be a handful of seats - maybe a dozen - but might be significant in a minority government situation.

As to what might cause such a party to gain prominence, I'm thinking a non-violent but significant change in Aboriginal rights, such as:

-The federal Liberals repeal the Indian Act in the 60s or 70s, as was sometimes contemplated; Aboriginals may fear the loss of rights under Act and specific treaties.

-The federal Liberals repatriate the Constitution in the early 80s, but the document doesn't speak to Aboriginal rights like it does now.