Retrospective Canadian Federal Elections General Discussion

Inspired by DJC's threads, I've decided to create an analogue for Canadian federal elections. As in the original two per week will be held- one pre-1900 and one post-1900. After 1896, both will be consecutive.

Ex: 1867, 1900... 1925, 1926.

This thread will be for both discussion and results (OTL and TTL).

Seat count will be determined using the following formula.

Example:

Party A - 60%
Party B - 40%
20 seats

60*60=3600
40*40=1600
sum: 5200
3600/5200=.692
.692*20 = 13.8
round to 14

Party A 14
Party B 6

Neat! I'm flattered. BTW, does it bother you that people misspell your name as RougeBeaver? I've seen it several times.

Seat count will be determined using the following formula.

Example:

Party A - 60%
Party B - 40%
20 seats

60*60=3600
40*40=1600
sum: 5200
3600/5200=.692
.692*20 = 13.8
round to 14

Party A 14
Party B 6

Wow. You actually just made First-Past-The-Post algorithmically more complex than Proportional Representation. :eek:

Laurier romps to a second term, Tupper loses his seat and the Tories nearly lose official party status.

OTL:

Liberal: 128 seats, 50.2%
Conservative: 79 seats, 46.2%

TTL:

attachment.php

Macdonald forms a minority government after securing supply and confidence from the Anti-Confederates. By 1870 they are fully integrated into the Conservative caucus.

OTL's results: (PV records are incomplete before 1887)

Conservative: 100 seats
Liberal: 62 seats
Anti-Confederate: 18 seats

attachment.php

Edward Blake decisively defeats OTL's squeaker victor, Sir John A.

OTL:

Conservative + allies = 104
Liberal + allies = 96

attachment.php

Third consecutive Laurier landslide, as per OTL.

OTL:

Liberal: 137 seats, 50.88%
Conservative: 79 seats, 45.94%

attachment.php

How I would have voted after my favorite Canadian Prime Minister, Sir Wilfrid, resigned as Liberal leader:

1921: Liberal (Well, Mackenzie King was Lauriers designated successor, so I probably would put my faith in him. Really, there'd be no way for me of knowing that he'd eventually try to talk with Laurier's spirit through use of mediums. Plus, I would have admired his opposition to conscription back during WWI, his scholarly background, his attitude to the west and his pragmatism)
1925: Liberal
1926: Liberal (the Liberals are dealing with social democrats in the Progressive and Labour parties, but some social reform I would believe is desirable. Plus, I don't like them protectionist Tories the least, and would be particularly inclined to vote against them after the scandalous premiership of Borden)
1930: Liberal (I like what Mackenzie King has done to bring power to the provinces)
1935: Liberal (my loyalty to the Liberal party has proven remarkably prudent after Bennett's remarkably chaotic and poorly planned “Canadian New Deal”)
1940: Liberal (Keep good old Mackenzie King, I would have thought, plus I'd be angered with the oddity of the Conservatives running under the name of “National Government” when they were in opposition)
1945: Liberal (The Progressive-Conservatives is one incoherent mess, just consider the they've adopted as an example of how paradoxical they are)
1949: Liberal (I like St. Laurent's modesty and preference for halting spending and plannng following WWII)
1953: Liberal
1957: Liberal
1958: Liberal (Lester B. Pearson may have said a few tactless things, and no doubt he has been slaughtered in the House of Commons by Diefenbaker, but still, I'd stand by Pearson, as unlike Barack Obama, this is a man I feel firmly deserved his Nobel Peace Prize. He's already a proper statesman and Prime Minister-in-waiting in my eyes.)
1962: Liberal
1963: Liberal
1965: Liberal (Single-payer isn't my personal favourite for when it comes to universal health care. Still, I'd understand Pearson's reasoning. Plus, I like his race-free immigration system.)
1968: Liberal (Had I been a Canadian at the time, with the same views I hold now, I probably would have been somewhat skeptical about voting a former CCF member who'd only recently joined the Liberal Party to the premiership, but then again, on the whole, I would have liked the Omnibus Bill, and probably wouldn't have been immune to Trudeaumania.)
1972: Progressive-Conservative (And I who never imagined myself voting Tory. Still, Trudeau is too left-wing for my taste, and Robert Stanfield does appear supportive of free trade. Plus, he doesn't seem to be as much of a rabbid polemic as Diefenbaker)
1974: Progressive-Conservative
1979: Progressive-Conservative (I think I would have liked Joe Clark a lot)
1980: Progressive-Conservative
1984: Progressive-Conservative (Brian Mulroney would probably have made a very good impression of me, inspired as he was of the policies of liberalization that's sweeping the United States and Britain)
1988: Progressive-Conservative (Only option for me. The PCs want a free trade agreement with the United States, they have my full support)
1993: Reform (I'd probably be more inclined to vote Liberal this time around than PC, because the Liberals promised to get rid of the GST, but I think that it would be the Reform Party who'd et my vote. They seem most likely to fix the deficit that Mulroney has created. Plus, there's still the whole renegotiating NAFTA thing with the Liberals I won't like.)
1997: Reform
2000: Progressive-Conservative (I'd disagree with Joe Clark's unwillingness to cooperate with Reform, but I'd still like the man. Plus, he seems more Prime Ministerial than Stockwell Day.)
2004: Conservative (I like Harper)
2006: Conservative
2008: Conservative (I like Dion for his work in settling the Quebec question back in the 90s, and I maintain that history will judge him a much greater statesman than we today hold him to be. Nonetheless, I think Harper is more capable as a Prime Minister)
2011: Conservative (Michael Ignatieff, why did you ever leave academia? You were a far more capable scholar than an opposition leader. In any case, I wouldn't have liked a Liberal-NDP coalition at all and one that depended on Bloc support would have appeared remarkably unstable).

This time, OTL and TTL victors are the same- but you were kinder to Sir John A. than OTL's voters.

OTL:

Liberal: 129
Conservative: 65

attachment.php

Third consecutive Laurier landslide, but something tells me it might not happen ITTL's 1911.

Liberal: 133 seats, 48.9%
Conservative: 85 seats, 46.0%

attachment.php

Very similar to OTL's results, but this is the first majority victory for Sir John on AH.com.

OTL:

Conservative: 133 seats
Liberal: 73 seats

attachment.php

Much closer than OTL, but still OTL's results.

OTL:

Unionist: 153 seats, 56.9%
Laurier Liberal: 82 seats, 38.8%

attachment.php

Another Liberal landslide. IMO Edward Blake is temperamentally a much better fit for Chief Justice than Prime Minister.

OTL:

Conservative: 122 seats
Liberal: 80 seats

RetroCan 1887.png

TTL's 1993?

OTL:

Liberal: 118 seats, 41.54%
Progressive: 58 seats, 21.09%
Conservative: 49 seats, 29.95%
Other: 10 seats

attachment.php

RetroCan 1887.png

Another Liberal landslide. Macdonald's career ITTL turned out to be the exact opposite of OTL's- 5 defeats and 1 victory.

OTL:

Conservative: 117 seats
Liberal: 90 seats

attachment.php

A small tradeoff between plausibility and Board will.

OTL:

Conservative: 116 seats, 46.13%
Liberal: 100 seats, 39.74%
Progressive: 22 seats, 8.45%
Other: 8 seats

attachment.php

Next week we'll be transitioning to 20th century elections only. Plus from 1926-1935 the 2-party system will make its final appearance.

OTL 1993 a century early- Tories lose official party status.

OTL:

Liberal: 117 seats
Conservative: 86 seats

attachment.php

Second King landslide.

OTL:

Liberal: 116 seats, 42.9%
Conservative: 100 seats, 45.35%

attachment.php

Another King landslide.

OTL:

Conservative: 134 seats, 47.79%
Liberal: 91 seats, 45.5%
Other: 20 seats

attachment.php

Much like OTL's election, an interesting example of FPTP's vagaries. The Liberals suffer a 10-point swing but lose only one seat, for instance.

OTL:

Liberal: 178 seats, 44.68%
Conservative: 40 seats, 29.84%
SoCred: 17 seats, 4.10%
CCF: 7 seats, 9.31%
Other: 3 seats

attachment.php

Wartime mandate.

OTL:

Liberal: 179 seats, 51.32%
National Government: 39 seats, 30.83%
CCF: 8 seats, 8.42%
SoCred: 7 seats, 1%

attachment.php

Time for a change- the Tories are wiped off the map entirely.

OTL:

Liberal: 127 seats, 40.58%
PC: 67 seats, 27.62%
CCF: 29 seats, 15.55%
SoCred: 13 seats, 4.05%
Independent: 7 seats

attachment.php

How I would have voted after my favorite Canadian Prime Minister, Sir Wilfrid, resigned as Liberal leader:

1921: Liberal (Well, Mackenzie King was Lauriers designated successor, so I probably would put my faith in him. Really, there'd be no way for me of knowing that he'd eventually try to talk with Laurier's spirit through use of mediums. Plus, I would have admired his opposition to conscription back during WWI, his scholarly background, his attitude to the west and his pragmatism)
1925: Liberal
1926: Liberal (the Liberals are dealing with social democrats in the Progressive and Labour parties, but some social reform I would believe is desirable. Plus, I don't like them protectionist Tories the least, and would be particularly inclined to vote against them after the scandalous premiership of Borden)
1930: Liberal (I like what Mackenzie King has done to bring power to the provinces)
1935: Liberal (my loyalty to the Liberal party has proven remarkably prudent after Bennett's remarkably chaotic and poorly planned “Canadian New Deal”)
1940: Liberal (Keep good old Mackenzie King, I would have thought, plus I'd be angered with the oddity of the Conservatives running under the name of “National Government” when they were in opposition)
1945: Liberal (The Progressive-Conservatives is one incoherent mess, just consider the they've adopted as an example of how paradoxical they are)
1949: Liberal (I like St. Laurent's modesty and preference for halting spending and plannng following WWII)
1953: Liberal
1957: Liberal
1958: Liberal (Lester B. Pearson may have said a few tactless things, and no doubt he has been slaughtered in the House of Commons by Diefenbaker, but still, I'd stand by Pearson, as unlike Barack Obama, this is a man I feel firmly deserved his Nobel Peace Prize. He's already a proper statesman and Prime Minister-in-waiting in my eyes.)
1962: Liberal
1963: Liberal
1965: Liberal (Single-payer isn't my personal favourite for when it comes to universal health care. Still, I'd understand Pearson's reasoning. Plus, I like his race-free immigration system.)
1968: Liberal (Had I been a Canadian at the time, with the same views I hold now, I probably would have been somewhat skeptical about voting a former CCF member who'd only recently joined the Liberal Party to the premiership, but then again, on the whole, I would have liked the Omnibus Bill, and probably wouldn't have been immune to Trudeaumania.)
1972: Progressive-Conservative (And I who never imagined myself voting Tory. Still, Trudeau is too left-wing for my taste, and Robert Stanfield does appear supportive of free trade. Plus, he doesn't seem to be as much of a rabbid polemic as Diefenbaker)
1974: Progressive-Conservative
1979: Progressive-Conservative (I think I would have liked Joe Clark a lot)
1980: Progressive-Conservative
1984: Progressive-Conservative (Brian Mulroney would probably have made a very good impression of me, inspired as he was of the policies of liberalization that's sweeping the United States and Britain)
1988: Progressive-Conservative (Only option for me. The PCs want a free trade agreement with the United States, they have my full support)
1993: Reform (I'd probably be more inclined to vote Liberal this time around than PC, because the Liberals promised to get rid of the GST, but I think that it would be the Reform Party who'd et my vote. They seem most likely to fix the deficit that Mulroney has created. Plus, there's still the whole renegotiating NAFTA thing with the Liberals I won't like.)
1997: Reform
2000: Progressive-Conservative (I'd disagree with Joe Clark's unwillingness to cooperate with Reform, but I'd still like the man. Plus, he seems more Prime Ministerial than Stockwell Day.)
2004: Conservative (I like Harper)
2006: Conservative
2008: Conservative (I like Dion for his work in settling the Quebec question back in the 90s, and I maintain that history will judge him a much greater statesman than we today hold him to be. Nonetheless, I think Harper is more capable as a Prime Minister)
2011: Conservative (Michael Ignatieff, why did you ever leave academia? You were a far more capable scholar than an opposition leader. In any case, I wouldn't have liked a Liberal-NDP coalition at all and one that depended on Bloc support would have appeared remarkably unstable).

Intriguing choices! I will follow suit:
Obviously Macdonald until his death. He had some corruption issues, but overall he was a great PM.
I like Laurier too, best Liberal PM. While I like Borden, his wartime government was corrupt and I think Laurier could have held the country together more effectively during the war (he was good at saying ready aye ready to the Anglos, while still placating the Francos).
1921: Conservative (Meighan is one of Canada's underrated PMs. And I can't stand King and could never vote for him. The Progressives are also an interesting choice, but I still think I would go with Meighan).
1925: Conservative (Meighan could be a tough one to like, but he stuck to his principles so he would get my vote again, mainly out of dislike for King)
: Conservative(No way I would vote for King after the King-Byng Affair, disgusting display. So it has to be Meighan once again).
1930: Conservative (Bennett gets a bad rap for the depression. There is a great biography out recently about him and it changed my views. Protectionism didn't really work, but it helped a little).
1935: Conservative (Bennett was an extremely generous man and helped create some great Canadian institutions like the BofC and the CBC. His New Deal may not have been constitutional, but he was a true Red Tory.
1940: National Government (just can't bring myself to vote King)
1945: Progressive Conservative (Bracken is a moderate)
1949: Progressive Conservative (I like Drew, pro-British Commonwealth, moderate Tory who founded an effective dynasty in Ontario)
1953: Progressive Conservative (Drew probably would have made a poor PM now that I think about it, too anti-Quebec, but he was on fire in the HofC, a better leader than Uncle Louis).
1957: Progressive Conservative (Dief the Chief over St. Laurent any day)
1958:
Progressive Conservative (ugh, Pearson, the arrogance)
1962: Progressive Conservative
1963: New Democrat
(Tommy Douglas wasn't bad, and Dief was going a bit nuts)
1965: New Democrat
(No Pearson or his crony Hellyer, unification was a disaster).
1968:
Progressive Conservative (Stanfield: Greatest PM we never had!)
1972: Progressive Conservative (Stanfield)
1974: Progressive Conservative (Stanfield)
1979: Progressive Conservative (I like Joe Clark too)
1980: Progressive Conservative (If you didn't notice, I don't like Trudeau)
1984: Liberal(Maybe it's hindsight, but Mulronney was a crook and wasted a lot of money, although Free Trade was a good thing)
1988:
Liberal (Turner was another underrated leader)
1993: Liberal (Not going to lie, I actually like Chretien)
1997: Progressive Conservative (Charest would have been better than Campbell in 1993)
2000: Progressive Conservative (As above, I am a Joe Clark supporter)
2004: Liberal (I did not support the merger, even though it was probably necessary)
2006: Liberal (Paul Martin did a good job on the deficit in the 1990s)
2008: Conservative (Not for any like of Harper, just dislike for his opponents)
2011: Conservative (I am with you on Iggy)

Hmmm, looking back it seems as though I am a Tory... Don't much like the current Conservatives, not enough Red Toryism left in the party...

CCF wins again.

OTL:

Liberal: 194 seats, 49.15%
PC: 66 seats, 29.65%
CCF: 28 seats. 13.42%
SoCred: 10 seats, 2.31%

attachment.php

And again.

OTL:

Liberal: 173 seats, 48.43%
PC: 51 seats, 31.02%
CCF: 23 seats, 11.28%
SoCred: 15 seats, 5.4%

attachment.php

As a side note, the '53 numbers are slightly smaller because of lower turnout. Both were very dull summer elections IOTL. Indeed, our last dull campaign for the next 44 years.

Yellow Sea.

OTL:

PC: 112 seats, 38.5%
Liberal: 105 seats, 40.5%
CCF: 25 seats, 10.6%
SoCred: 19 seats, 6.5%
Other: 4 seats

attachment.php

OTL:

PC: 208 seats, 53.85%
Liberal: 49 seats, 33.4%
CCF: 8 seats, 9.51%