Kings of Iceland (1658-2158)

So, I've decided to create a new list of monarch, and so why not of a place that never had any monarchs of their own, but had to be content with those of other nations? Iceland.

For the sake of this threat, I am giving the Icelandic rock and mineral vast quantities of gold, which can be found through both mining and panning. To get the thread started, I change the personality of Christian IV's son Valdemar Christian a little, making him a romantic adventurer who, upon marrying Irene of Russia, persuades his brother Frederick III in 1648 to make him Viceroy of Iceland. In 1653, the vast gold reserves are discovered and in 1658, after seeing the crown take much of the gold for itself, Valdemar Christian declares himself a sovereign king with Dutch backing. After a war of independence, Denmark recognizes Iceland as a free country in 1660, and the Treaty of Reykjavik is signed.

Kings of Iceland

1658-1694: Valdemar Christian I (House of Oldenburg) [1]

[1]
First king of Iceland. A romantic adventurer who, upon marrying Irene of Russia, persuaded his brother the Danish king Frederick III in 1648 to make him Viceroy of Iceland. In 1653, vast gold reserves were discovered on the island and in 1658, after having seen the crown take much of the gold for itself, Valdemar Christian declared himself a sovereign king with Dutch backing. After a war of independence, Denmark recognized Iceland as a free country in 1660, and the Treaty of Reykjavik was signed. Valdemar Christian lived to the ripe old age of 72, leaving both sons and daughters behind. By the time of his death, Iceland had grown significantly in population thanks to the gold rush, with waves of immigration coming in mainly from Norway and Denmark, but also from Scotland and the Netherlands.

Do you have any clue how abysmally small the population of Iceland is? No way would you get a 'king' there - note you need to be the size of Prussia or Bavaria before you can get away with elevating yourself to king. Prince? maybe. Duke? sure.

And massive amounts of gold aren't a recipe for independence, but an invitation for the nearest major power to take you over as soon as their ships can arrive.

Sorry.

I think the idea can work, but give it time. How about having a gold-rush to Iceland? And then the population grows significantly, enough for them to develop their own distinct culture, independent of Denmark. Then they both can and want to become independent.