Civil Rights under Pres Garfield (1881-88)

PoD being that Guiteau's gun doesn't go off, and presuming James Garfield is re-elected in 1884. I think it's fairly known (on this board anyway) that the 20th President was an outspoken supporter of the rights of freed slaves, so:

How would black civil rights fair in a Garfield Presidency, and where would they go from there? Would he seek to, and be successful in, containing the rise of Jim Crow, possibly preventing it? How limited would he be by the fact that his predecessor had ended military reconstruction? Would he seek to enforce the Civil Rights Act of 1875, and if so, is it possible it isn't found unconstitutional TTL? What else?

Just realized something else -- Mark Twain was writing Adventures of Huck Finn around this time*, so one related butterfly could be that the novel turns out differently.
Garfield vetoing the Chinese Exclusion Act would be a game changer -- I also noticed there was a debate in Congress TTL (circa 1882) on whether to defund Federal Marshals, which I'm taking it doesn't happen?

*more precisely, he was resumed following the riverboat collision in 1880, finishing it in 1883