Lower Canada of the 1980's

Last edited:
What the situation will be in Southern Ontario

With all this said this scenario is going to take place roughly a few days just before the start of the nuclear exchange, i.e. the lead up to it. Due to the fact I personal live in southern Ontario, the concept itself will deal with nuclear exchange in this general geopolitical area specifically if Toronto completely or partial survived the nuclear exchange and was able to form a provisional government in Southern Ontario.

Although off the bat people will claim that the utter destruction of Toronto is a near definite in a nuclear exchange, personal I find this hard to believe for two reasons. First off Toronto while having a major population base (almost 3 million to be exact: 2,998,947), it lacked any significant military industry or facilities outside CFB Downsview. Its manufacturing base while massive compared to the rest of Canada was completely incomparably to nearby Detroit or Chicago both nearby American cities, who held similar or larger populations as well. In addition although yes Toronto was a important communication and transportation hub, its important because it is a waypoint. If you destroyed all the American and Canada “end hubs (Halifax, western Canada, American industrial heartland ext…)” per say Toronto is connected to; the city becomes decidedly redundant.

The secondary reason for I believe Toronto was not a primary target was that there was even more important targets still in Canada when compared to this urban area. Montreal had a comparably population at this time, and a far greater military importance. Bombardier was headquarters within Montreal, CFB Valcartier with a large combat land formations was based here as well, CFB St. Hubert and St. Jean were both located in the city proper; and CFB Bagotville was located nearby. Halifax was the largest military port on the Atlantic seaboard for Canada, was the homeport to Maritime Commands Atlantic Fleet, housed a critical oil terminal, and CFB Shearwater was located within Halifax which held all most of CF maritime patrol aircraft. Winnipeg housed a garrison for the army (2nd Battalion of the PPCLI ) at Kapyong Barracks, CFB Winnipeg itself contained major air formations, and Winnipeg was the single most important transportation hub between Western and Eastern Canada. Final Vancouver and Victoria collectively, like Halifax are critical targets due to them housing the Pacific Fleet (along with its air assets at Patricia Bay and CFB Comox) and land forces components at CFB Chilliwack; without mentioning that Vancouver is Canada only major deep water port on the Pacific Coast.

For all this reasons I simply believe Toronto while most definitely be a target for the Soviet nuclear arsenal, but it was at best a tertiary target at most; a important population, a major midway transportation hub, and civilian industrial area but no much else. Thus while most definitely Toronto will be hit, I do not think Toronto was suffer the same amount of initial first strikes as other areas of Canada or North America as whole. Simply because Toronto lacked any sort of significant targets that could be used strike back against the Soviet Union immediately (i.e. airbases, major harbours, combat military formations ext…).

Southern Ontario in 1984
1000px-Map_of_Ontario_SOUTHERN.svg.png

This a rough geopolitical border of Southern Ontario in 1980's and present times, and in relation to everything right after the exchange this story shall focus mostly on this area.
2126305820_3eb62f4794_o.jpg

Time_Flies_Toronto.jpg

Population (est): 7,047,032 with around 2.2 million situated in and around the greater Toronto Area.

Economic Assets: massive; Five of Canada’s six largest banks have their headquarters near the country’s busiest stock exchange. Golden horseshoe houses practical all the major resource refinement, manufacturing industries, and services industries in Canada. Toronto is the single most important transportation line within Ontario literal linking the industrial heartland of America to the rest of Canada. The automobile industry of Canada is decidedly focused within the GTA and surrounding areas, in addition the bleed off industries supporting it. Southern Ontario contains 76% of Canada tier 1 agriculture land, has significant natural gas deposits, and some minor to moderate mineral wealth (nickel, copper, iron ore, limestone, granite ext...) at the edge of its geographic border.

Military Asset & Facilities: moderate to heavy; Diemaco primary small arms manufacturer for Canadian Forces located in Kitchener, Ontario. General Motors Diesel Division military production facilities located in London, Ontario. Bombardier Aerospace has final assembly facilities of civilian aircraft located adjacent to CFB Downsview. CFB Downsview located within outskirts of city proper mainly a training &research development facility. CFB Borden some 76.8km away from Toronto also namely a training facility for the CF. CFB London located in interior of Southern Ontario and garrison by 3rd Battalion of the RCR and supporting formations. CFB Trenton primary transportation hub for all Canadian Forces activities, as well CFB Kingston housing numerous combat support and training formations.

Last edited:
PART I: Deciding the Future of Things

PART I: February 20th, 1984 around 14:00 Eastern Standard Time; Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario

Six men were sitting in the Lieutenant Governor's private apartment in the Queen's Park, the air had been thick with smoke and occasional bout of shouting across the room for over two hours now. However only now was this mix of poor vision and assaults on one's eardrums reaching any sort of defining conclusion in the small apartment.

"What do you mean this conflict can get bad? I thought the Soviets were being stopped!!!" Asked a nearly hysterical Premier of Ontario Bill Davis.

A observably uncomfortable local reservists Brigadier General soon responded "Well respectively Sir the conflict that is ongoing in Germany is not going to well, and frankly both Soviets and NATO leadership are starting to get.... antsy about everything sir."

"This is all god damns Trudeau's fault, if we didn't screw around with the military so much, and appear so weak to the Soviets the damn balance of power would have been main.."

A loud shout was heard across the room "Bill quite down before everyone in the bloody building hears you." The until now unspoken man then turned to federal appointed military aid "General in your honest opinion what will happen to our boys in Europe in the next few months?"

"Sir our lines in Germany are ready to crumble, our air assets in Baden-Soellingen have already been wiped out, we have lost contact with most of the 4 Mechanized Group when it was wiped out in a counter attack to retake Munich; and the 4 Mech was the strategic reserve for that sector. NATO forces in Germany are desperate there reaching over 40% in combat casualties, and so are the Soviets, everyone is using the last of their reserves. Our navy is taking a thrashing from the Soviet's submarines across the Atlantic, we have already lost three destroyers for one enemy submarine sunk. Iceland is under assault by Soviet airborne formations as we speak, and right now a major air war is heating up over the Arctic."

"What about Ontario, what kind of assets do we have?" asked a slightly calmer Premier.

The Brigadier General Thomas grimaced "minimal really Sir, all active formations are preparing to be shipped over to Europe, reserve assets are being mobilized but there so under equipped and manned there combat ineffective."

"So we basically have no federal support to speak of, no military capability, and 8 million worried people to look out for... Right General?" Mr. Davis so within moments.

"Yes Sir, on all accounts."

A sudden bout of utter silence soon came over the room, and only broken by the quite man; Lieutenant Governor John Black Aired "May God help those boys over there.... well all we can do is prepare Ontario for whatever happens. It seems we needed to get some more serious planning done gentlemen."

Last edited:
Very misleading. I would suggest using Protect and Survive in the title, like, P&S: Golden Horseshoe.

I concur - something like P&S: Golden Horseshoe would be a "better" title.
"Lower Canada" was Quebec. Ontario was Upper Canada.

Beat me to it.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to re3ading your story.

Also, RE:Toronto as a target, I found this information, which you may find informative and helpful:

... since I live in Canada, I am going to look at what share we might expect to fall where I live. Canada has ten percent the population that does the US, so I am going to say that Canada is going to get 10 percent of the North American warheads - or one hundred. In Canada we have a rule of thumb that the province in which I live has about 50% of the Canadian population, GNP, industry, and so forth, so I am going to say that we can expect about 50 nuclear weapons in Ontario.
What I am suggesting is that you make the same sort of extrapolation for your state, but I can tell you that when I start adding up the targets around Ontario, I find it hard to find a place to put 50 weapons. But here is an attempt.
    • 1 at Niagara Falls - A big power generating source.
    • 4 other power generating stations (mostly nuclear)
    • 1 on Ottawa (the Capital of Canada)
    • 1 at Sault Ste Marie (across the river from a US nuclear forces base)
    • 4 other Canadian Military bases (about as threatening as boy scout camps)
    • 5 on Toronto and what we call the Golden Horseshoe
    • 1 on North Bay (if they don't know it has been deactivated as a NORAD site)
    • 17 total
This information is from here: http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/states/aatargets.htm

Can't wait to hear more about this. I still believe that Toronto will be hit by a nuke from a bomber as it does have some major facilities such as CFB Downsville and Pearson Airport. Both of those airports have multiple runways long enough to land surviving American Bombers and AIRCOM fighters.

ya sry bout the lower Canada thing, i was refering and pasting the different names of everywhere; stupid noob mistake overall, hopefully everyone will be able to forgive :D

In that regard I'm working around principle that Toronto was most likely a target for the Soviets; however I believe that either it would be a secondary target or be delegated to bomber formations after NORAD lost its pine-tree line. I don't think the Soviets are going to try make Toronto glow in the night when there is no true offensive military assets in the opening stages of the war located there. However working with the concept that the Soviets are going to eventual hit Southern Ontario during the second wave or with strategic bombers I believe that strangler formations of both Canadian Forces Air Command and elements of the USAF in the area will head to either CFB Downsview or CFB Trenton after comms with NORAD were lost. If and now this is a big if so I'm not so sure yet these possible formations come in relative intact I'm pretty sure the existing air control at this bases could create an effective "ad-hoc" cap and dispersal system to more minor facilities such as Hamilton Int, CFB Borden, Toronto Island Airport and the alike.

Last edited:
PART II: When the Airborne go to war

PART II: February 21st, 1984 around 21:00 ZULU/Greenwich Mean Time in orbit over Airspace Zone Four-Beta (North Sea, near Iceland territorial waters).

True fear, was one of those emotions that others talked about but few truly understood. Well Master Corporal Green had discovered the emotion completely in the last few hours, his sweaty clothing and massive migraine was only prove it more so.

This whole nightmare started when he was suddenly woken up in his Barracks in Petawawa as he was fighting a raging hangover, by a foaming a Regimental Sergeant Major. Next thing he new he was ordered onto a truck with his full kit load; after that to the regimental depot to get kitted out for a combat jump.

After that the whole regiment, was formed up on the parade square to get addressed by the Colonel Larqoue himself. He still didn't really remember much account of his hangover, but one phrase the Colonel side was forever ingrained into him "Men, the time of peace and diplomacy is now finished. Regardless of what others may say, know that you are soldiers, and that as soldiers you must now fulfill your sworn duty to Queen and Country. EX COELIS!"

A couple hours after that Jason Green was in strapped into canvas seat in a C-130H Hercules in which he was currently praying to ever single God he heard of to keep his unit safe. Between not knowing where the hell he was going, but knowing that a war had just started in Europe, and knowing enough that the Airborne was sent on the most dangerous of missions; had left Jason downright terrified of his current future.

Jason looked over to his fireteam partner debating on the question he was bout to ask, screaming over the roar of the engines so he could be hear "Fred, I'm no coward or anything, I'll fight no matter what, but I'm fucken scared shit less right now."

Fred gave a sideways glance to the man beside him "You hear anyone else talking on this plane buddy? Cause I don't, and you know why? Because everyone is just as afraid of the unknown as you are right now."

Before he could respond to his friend, a bright red light flooded the hold of the Hercules. Soon the jump master came screaming down the line "GET READY! HOOK UP! CHECK YOUR KIT! GET READY, FIVE MINUTES TO THE LANDING ZONE! CHECK YOUR BUDDY! SOUND OFF!"

Jason scrambled to check his kit over, and those in-front of him as thoughts of "straps secure, lines wrapped, kit stowed, buddies in-front parachute appears intact" streamed through his head as the Herc banked sharply to the left, a large slap on his shoulder brought the response "TWELVE OKAY!"

Final the Hercules turned once more, leveled out and a green hue filled the hold; the side doors were soon swung by one of the jump masters "FIRST MAN STAND TO THE DOOR!" A a brief pause. "GOOD LUCK! GO! GO! GO! GO!"

The stick of paratroopers quickly moved forward, with each solider throwing himself out the door like a bat out of hell. Jason came to the door and saw the blackness of the night sky, pushing himself out of the plane tucking his body inwards as he did so, he was then airborne. It felt like as if the world had dropped from under his body, as Jason plummeted away from the Herc.

He could barely pick out the forms of the other paratroopers that jumped before him, and felt confident that they'd be unseen from the ground. As his chute dropped slowly through the air, Jason was in bliss in a sense of freedom that was unequalled by anything he'd ever experienced. However this train of thought was soon cast aside as he saw bright flashes coming from the ground. At first it was mere scattering of flashes that then grew intensity and soon grey missiles contrails started to join the fray above his chute.

Soon he saw dozen of bright flashes, followed by flames and fireballs. After that the young man could only gaze out into the sky in bewilderment. It then dawned on Jason soon after that those were other planes, when a burning wreckage of plane explode into a wall of flame and twisted metal above. He could hear the screams of fellow soldiers as they plummeted towards Earth.

Thinking it would never end, and that he was soon die Jason closed his eyes to prepare for the inventible, there was then a bright flash of light, as he eyes adapted he saw the a glimpse of the ground. Then blackness.

Last edited:
So the nuclear war comes to my home at last :( damn!

Ah well guess I couldn't ride it out forever :p I like the looks of this! Please keep it up!

PART III: a forward by a Unassuming Man

If nuclear conflict is the apex of human ingenuity in killing each other effectively, then emergency planning of the Canadian government for nuclear warfare was merely another form of this ingenuity.

Although like most nations of the western world, Canada develop a moderate amount of emergency bunks for the continuation of the government; little thought was ever given to what be left of Canada after the exchange. During the Cold War, Canada due to both its vast size, and clusters of major populations center was perhaps the worst off nation that was foreseeing the possibility of nuclear warfare. The population base of Canada was inherently linked to its urban areas, with over seventy percent population living in a urban setting at the time of the exchange. Thus after the loss of a few major cities and communication hubs such as Ottawa, Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and Winnipeg; Canada could become effectively no more. This was only compounded further by the fact that due to Canada's inherit regionalism (i.e. Ontarian, Maritime, Westerns, Quebec ext...) once a centralized government disappeared so to would the nation of Canada, as each region looked out for its own first.

Truth be told consecutive Canadian governments leading up to the exchange did so little to prepare their population for a plausible plan of survival after a nuclear exchange; that if a conflict did occur most of Canada's population was as good as died before the bombs landed. There was no evacuation plans for major urban areas, beyond telling local military units and federal assets to abandon their posts in urban areas and move to the nearest Emergency Government Headquarters for further orders. Critical resource stockpiles of such things as fuel, foodstuff, and basic building materials were simple not there. Perhaps it was assumed by the federal government assumed that urban areas were right offs automatically, no one knows the real reasoning but the end results was all the same.

However in the lead up to what many considered the near end of the world, humanities own little Armageddon or Ragnarök on Earth; it was the individual actions by local and regional leaders that turned back the coming darkness. Gone were the times of political bickering and saber rattling between nations, now was a time to protect and survive.

Forward by Sir John Black Aired, December 25th, 1992

Taken from What Little Time Remains; Historical References of Nations of Pre-Exchange; Published by Penguin Group Toronto, New Avalon; January 2036.

End Notes; hope it sets the mood properly if not I blame society :p

Last edited:
I'm guessing cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, and Saskatoon were hit as well.

I was just over a month old at the time of the exchange. What a world I will be raised in. :(

I cant see the Russians ignoring Pearson and Downsview, and they are both big (in terms of area), so considerable part of NW and Ncentral Toronto arent going to be in good shape after...

They may not bother to drop on on the centre of the city, though. I guess it depends how much they hate bankers....:)

Don't know about Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, or Saskatoon. Mostly likely Calgary and Edmonton though because of their military facilities will be targets on the primary or secondary lists, really depends on the luck of everything. Regina, or Saskatoon will most likely be safe if only because of their minor size and non-military nature, then again the Soviet Union might really hate those capitalist wheat farmer swine.;)

Sounds like the prairies get off easy as always! Though I can see Quebec and BC coming out fairly unscathed as well. The Maritimes will have little change it seems.

PART IV: What Little Time We Have

PART IV: February 21st, 1984 around 11:00 Eastern Standard Time; CFB Downsview: Emergency Government Local Headquarters, Toronto, Ontario

"My God, they have started it haven't they?" A whisper of a voice came from one corner of the planning room. The soft whimpering of a breaking down aid was the only other sound within the room.

"Yes Sir unfortunately they did, from what federal reports that we have received indict that two nuclear warheads were also detonated by NATO and the Warsaw Pact units on battle areas in German."

"What do we do know? Where is the federal government? What is going on in our province?" A barely functional Premier asked to everyone at large.

"Pre-war plans call for everyone in this regional executive council to stay in the bunker until otherwise told, last reports indicate that Prime Minister and cabinet are also heading to a more secure location. Right now Sir the public doesn't know much, and there is no plans to tell them otherwise...."

"What do you mean we aren't telling the public what is going on?" Screeched the out Premier.

"Sir plans call for the evacuation of federal and critical provincial assets from likely target areas, and then wait till further orders are received from above." Brigadier General Thomas say with venom.

"Well that simply will not do, we have to organize evacuation orders for the major cities; call up the OPP and local militia units to maintain order. Organize a appropriate exodus of critical war material as well, make sure everyone who is leaving is properly prepared for this."

"Sir my men don't have the capability for all this on their our own, some of my units don't even have war ammunition. The federal units started to take everything when they were being sent to Halifax." The federal Councillor Major General Van Tempsky and the local Councillor Brigadier General Thomas both pleaded together.

"Generals I am the Lieutenant Governor General of this Province, appointed by her Majesty herself. Recall any federal units still in transit, call up the supplementary reserve formations, do what you must to make sure my citizens are save from what may happen."

"Yes Sir..." an aid whispers into the generals ear "Sir we have some startling orders from the RCMP. They have given us a list of political active communist or socialist members, and my men are being told to be arrest them. Under the orders of a plan called PROFUNC."

"Damn, is it a communist insurgency or something. What have this people done?" muttering soon flooded the small room in droves.

"No sir, it appears to be guilty by association.... what should we do Sir?"

"Well we follow the orders of course.." Began the Premier.

"No Bill we will not, the rule of law does disappear just because others find it necessary for their own means. Ignore the transmission and ask for confirmation General understood?" Lieutenant Governor General said with much strain in his voice.

Lieutenant Governor General soon turned towards the rest of the executive council, realizing the Premier was in no condition to lead. "Now gentleman I want a no bullshit answers, how bad off are we, and what can we do to mitigated casualties?"

David Roberts Councillor for public health and safety was the first to respond "
Not much, although we have a fairly large supply of radiation protection equipment and supplies, it will not be easy to hand out to the most effected areas."

"Can we get the local military units to help out in this?" Another Councillor asked.

"Not likely Sir, most of my men are already stretched thin, even with the 3rd RCR and some assets from CFB Petawawa we only have around 28,000 men." More muttering heard, some more louder than others.

"Also our largest hospitals are in the primary blast zones, and first responders are going to worry more about their own families then others if something happens. They haven't been trained for this kind of scenario, and even if they were around they will be overwhelmed by the amount of casualties."

A nearly wailing Premier now could hear muttering about "Damn that government, they are leaving us on the curb with nothing. We can’t do anything to help anyone."

"We can try sending some medical assets out into the rural areas of the province to protect from the first strikes, but that will only prevent them from reaching blast zones sooner." David Roberts said to calm down the Premier.

Without missing much the Councillor of Industry Tony Vargas start to talk "Sir if the warheads do come, most of industry and power supply grid are also in the major blast zones. The Toronto area alone provides food processing and natural resource refinement for over sixty five percent of the province. We don't have anytime to transfer industries to less likely targeted areas, the best we can do is stockpile what resources we have in more secure areas."

“What about our power supply I thought most stations, were out in rural areas?”

“Yes Sir, but all major power line nodes going north to south flow through Toronto or other large community. If the lines are destroyed in a strike, it doesn't matter that we have power stations because we don’t have anyway of transporting it.”

"Hmmm see to it that everything we can do is done gentleman, I know it is not much but its better that sitting own our hands.” A chore of yes Sir or yes Bill soon followed as the civilian councillors left the meeting room to complete their tasks.

“General do we know what the Soviets might hit precisely during a exchange? Or wow bad will it be?” asked the Lieutenant Governor General.

"Not really Sir, but most of our plans presume that all nuclear reactors will be, Toronto, London, Barrie, North Bay, Ottawa, Sarnia, and Niagara Falls are also definite targets. Possible Kingston, Kitchener, Trenton, and Hamilton as well in follow up strikes."

"Can we do anything to stop or prevent these strikes?" Asked unknown Aid in general to no in particular.

"Not if ICBM are sent in, we don't have any fighter coverage over Ontario either, there is a "ad-hoc" formation at Pearson International of those new CF-18 but only six of them. As well as some units are rotating through Downsview or Trenton before heading up north."

"Right Gentleman..." Began the Lieutenant Governor General before being cut off.

"Sirs you should see this.” An aid said before turning on nearby TV, a reporter is shown in front of a burnt out tank. "In most recent news it has been confirmed that NATO and Warsaw Pact have begun using chemical warheads on civilian targets, civilian casualties are already in the thousands..... {the reporter looks off camera}

"What the hell is that Ron?" the female reporter asks to what appears her cameraman.

"I don't Sue, it looks like a soviet jet.... Oh my god, Sue get DOWN...." A bright flash and static soon follows afterwards. After that the feed cuts to a news room of CBC to a shocked anchorman. "Ughh it seems that we have lost Susan, possible a cut in the feed....." The same aid that turned on the TV soon turns it off.

"SIRS, we have to get you out of here, we need to get you to LOCUST immediately the general screamed.

A still surprisingly calm John Black Aird respond "No we have to get the evacuation moving do whatever is necessary Generals, and I don't care if you cheat or lie get me more military assets to stay in Ontario. We can't let our nation fall apart because we fear for our own lives."

“WHAT! Are you insane John we have to leave Toronto!!! The Soviets are going to wipe everything out!” Screamed a hysterical Bill Davis.

“We cant Bill, we owe to the people of Canada and Ontario to make sure that as much of them as humanely possible survive what is coming.” Replied a now ragged looking Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.

A small smile crept onto the both military men in the room as they watched this argument unfold. They had a real leader, not a scared politician or civilian but a leader; and with that they still had a fighting chance.

Last edited: