Jewish state in Salonika

Do you think it was possible? Maybe with a PoD during the Balkan Wars, as a buffer state between Greece and Bulgaria? That's post-1900, but whatever. Hmm.

Do you think it was possible? Maybe with a PoD during the Balkan Wars, as a buffer state between Greece and Bulgaria? That's post-1900, but whatever. Hmm.

I think it's possible given an early POD. I don't know enough about it which is why I'm asking here.

Well, from Wikipedia, the Jewish proportion of the population was highest around 1900 (at around 75%). I kind of like my Balkan Wars neutral zone scheme, but I think for Greece and Bulgaria to agree to give up the city, Great Power intervention would be necessary. There was a Zionist movement active in Britain - could they be convinced that Salonika is a good place to start building a Jewish state?

I could see the whole "Free City" idea work, perhaps as a British-supported port in the Eastern Mediterranean. Whether it's a Jewish state is a bit debatable, but the British could easily allow the Jewish population to stay, and perhaps grow in the area.

Wolfpaw

Banned
I could see the whole "Free City" idea work, perhaps as a British-supported port in the Eastern Mediterranean. Whether it's a Jewish state is a bit debatable, but the British could easily allow the Jewish population to stay, and perhaps grow in the area.
A British protectorate, maybe? More de facto than de jure Jewish.

Hrmm. Maybe if Russia starts creeping too close to the Straits...

It's doubtful. Salonika is Greece's main port in the North Aegean and its second largest city. They're not going to let it go to some Jews. I doubt Britain would alienate Greece by supporting such a state(it's doubtful the Jews were very interested in Statecraft; they were bankers, craftsmen, and that sort of thing, not statesmen).

BlondieBC

Banned
How about the Hapsburg get Salonika as a port in the 1815 peace process. After a few decades of issues with various troublesome Slavs, decides to make the city and autonomous Jewish City in 1848. After WW1, it becomes a city state that is destroyed by the Nazi's, and Salonika becomes a term for Great evil because the largest Jewish Extermination center is located nearby. After the War, the now depopulated area becomes a part of Greece as a reward for fighting with the Allies.

They're not going to let it go to some Jews. I doubt Britain would alienate Greece by supporting such a state(it's doubtful the Jews were very interested in Statecraft; they were bankers, craftsmen, and that sort of thing, not statesmen).

Wow!! Don't hold back with the stereotypes.

I guess the Greeks won't care about Salonika either because they would be too busy smashing plates and making Kebabs.

You do realize of course that they were craftsmen and Bankers, not statesmen? I had Grandparents that lived in Salonika. It has nothing to do with stereotyping. What, you expect the Greeks to allow them to hold high positions? You aren't thinking like a Balkan man!

You do realize of course that they were craftsmen and Bankers, not statesmen? I had Grandparents that lived in Salonika. It has nothing to do with stereotyping. What, you expect the Greeks to allow them to hold high positions? You aren't thinking like a Balkan man!

I would presume the leaders of a Jewish state based around Salonika would be drawn from Jews all around Europe same as Israel OTL.

The thread is talking about a Jewish state in Salonika not a Salonika state run by Jews.

I guess the Greeks won't care about Salonika either because they would be too busy smashing plates and making Kebabs.

Well, it was nearly impossible for someone of Jewish descent to maintain a legitimate career in politics anywhere outside the Ottoman Empire at the time, and since many Jewish communities had no qualms with doing certain "unchristian" duties, they often formed a significant part of the merchant and commercial class in many parts of Europe. That's where the stereotype comes from, and is a good chunk of why they were hated--because they were successful.

But wasn't Salonika kind of unique in that it had such a large Jewish population that Jews weren't confined to their stereotypical social roles? The Wiki article says that Salonika had the largest population of Jewish fishermen in the world, for example.