The Republic of Texas my 2nd attempt

Ok I attempted a TL like this right after I joined but it ended quickly due to everyone saying that the majority of the things I put in it were impossible. Well this is my second attempt at it, I would very much appreciate it that if I put something’s that sounds really ASB or too impossible that yall give me advice on why yall think it sounds like that & what would be best to make it better. Thank you in advance to whoever assists me in learning how to make a decent TL & to everybody that just reads it I hope yall enjoy.

The Republic of Texas

1836-1840

Sam Houston new the first years for the Republic of Texas would be tough if it ever wanted to stay an independent nation & his best chance at setting up a good economy would be to secure foreign loans to back up the Texas currency. With that Houston sends John Brown to Europe in February 1837 to attempt & gain recognition & most importantly try & secure loans. In May of 1837 John Brown arrived at his first stop the United Kingdom. His first attempts at gaining recognition fail as the UK decides not to recognize Texas for having its own friendly relations with Mexico. Britain does however agree to begin purchasing Texas exports that come to its ports. After gaining very little Brown travels to Paris in the summer of 1837. In September 1837 Brown achieves getting recognition & gaining trade agreement from France but France declines the request for loan stating at this time it was not in Frances best interest. John Brown would stay in Europe until returning to Texas in August 1838 getting recognition from Belgium, the Netherlands, Sicily, Portugal, & while not getting recognized gained trade agreements with Spain, Prussia, Sardinia, Austria, Greece, & Russia.

Houston’s last few months in office would be spent trying to secure loans from the United States & trying to bring settlers into Texas. In the 1838 presidential elections a newcomer to politics Edward Burleson narrowly beats former vice president Mirabeau B. Lamar & is elected the second Texas President. In his first act as president Burleson gains better relations with France by allowing their warships to dock in the Corpus Christi Bay during Frances Pastry War with Mexico stopping Mexico’s main port for smuggling goods past the French blockade. In September 1839 after strengthening ties with France during the Pastry War Burleson decides to make a second attempt in gaining French loans & begins talks with French chargé d'affaires Alponse Dubois de Saligny. After months of negotiating President Burleson achieves in gaining $5,000,000 from France in January 1840 in exchange for the French leasing of the Corpus Christi Bay for 50 years, however in the leasing Texas would still be able to freely import & export trade through the Corpus Christi Port.

If anything sounds completly out of this world or my Corpus Christi price was too high/low just let me know what I need to do to make it sound better. Thanks

Jasen777

Donor
Corpus Christi was only founded in 1839, it's a big nothing. It's not worth anything really. It was more of a smuggling outpost then a true port anyways (proper port wasn't opened until much later) I don't see why the French would want a Texas port anyways let alone an empty one they'd pay for. It's also in disputed territory.

Corpus Christi was only founded in 1839, it's a big nothing. It's not worth anything really. It was more of a smuggling outpost then a true port anyways (proper port wasn't opened until much later) I don't see why the French would want a Texas port anyways let alone an empty one they'd pay for. It's also in disputed territory.
well don't you think it would grow with the French being there?

anyways what ports do you think would be a good one to change to? if you have an idea i'll chang it. i just didn't want to put it as galveston

Last edited:
i guess no comment means good?

I guess that no comments means that your TL is not good enough to comment on, but not extremely bad so we can tell the person why the TL is so bad. Don't worry, I don't have a lot of posters in my TL as well, but there are often more posters later.

I think it is a good start (I am no expert on this time period) and I am looking forward to the next update.

I'm just wondering, what is the change from real life? Also, Brown's trip across Europe at that time would be incredibly strenuous due to the distances and the fact that most countries would see him as illegally representing parts of Mexico. Plus, why would Houston change his stance from wanting to join the U.S. to independence, when he'd wanted Texas to join the U.S, his entire life? I like the timeline, just some aspects confuse me. Keep it up!:)

I'm just wondering, what is the change from real life? Also, Brown's trip across Europe at that time would be incredibly strenuous due to the distances and the fact that most countries would see him as illegally representing parts of Mexico. Plus, why would Houston change his stance from wanting to join the U.S. to independence, when he'd wanted Texas to join the U.S, his entire life? I like the timeline, just some aspects confuse me. Keep it up!:)
well the changes are Texas actually got loans so isn't broke & can afford to do stuff & is attempting to colonize the disputed areas better. for Houston i didn't really change him i just changed lamer making a mess of everything by spending the the very small OTL money texas had & Houston just hasn't gone up for election agian. IDK if i'll bring him back later. I'm making a next update i hope yall will like it or at least specify whats bad as my minds going about 3 differant ways in it & im trying not to let it sound ADD ;)

1840-1845

The money gained from France wouldn’t be the only loan Burleson would gain in his term, in June 1840 Belgium would give a $1,000,000 loan, & in September 1840 the Netherlands would give a $1,250,000 loan to Texas. In January 1841 in attempt to gain more control over some of the Texas claimed areas President Burleson approved the passing if the Rio-Nueces Act. In this act the Texas government began offering 100 acres of land between the Nueces River & Rio Grande & plenty of seed for the settlers first seasons crop to any male settler over the age of 18 in exchange for either 1 year active military or 2 year reservist military. Each settler could gain an additional 100 acres for every extra year active military or 2 year reservist military they agree to. The offer is told throughout the US & Europe & immigration to Texas slowly starts to pick up. By the end of Burleson’s term in December of 1841 5500 men, women, & children had settled in the disputed south Texas land.

Edward Burleson’s successor was war hero Thomas Jefferson Rusk. Early into 1842 Rusk began to here reports of more & more disputes between the Tejano populace that for the most part were still loyal to Mexico & the Texas Nueces settlers that in the land grant were being given land claimed by the Tejano settlers. Hoping to gain loyalty with the Tejano populace in the area President Rusk states that if they break their ties with Mexico & swear allegiance to Texas the Texas Nueces settlers that had been placed on their land would be given new acres to settle & both parties would be compensated for any expense. While most Tejano’s wanting to keep their land do this & most settlers are move to new land willingly some from both parties refuse & their hostilities against one another continue to rise until they boil over in what was called the Nueces Skirmish between a militia of 100 settlers & 100 Tejano’s, after the battle with casualties for both sides at 67 dead & wounded President Rusk orders 600 soldiers into the area to keep anymore skirmishes from taking place.

With Texas soldiers now patrolling most large skirmishes cease but near the Rio Grande Tejano settlers continue to stir up unrest. Starting to fear Mexico may be involved in inciting the unrest near the Rio Grande President Rusk approves the funding to construct three forts near the Rio Grande in July of 1842. By December 1842 the Texas Nueces settlers had increased by 6000 & many began moving their claims farther west, in doing so the settlers move closer & closer to land claimed by the Comanche tribes. Settlements would not be the only big happening in Texas to happen in 1843, at the beginning of 1843 President Rusk sends officials to the United States to purchase miles of railroad ties, locomotives, & train cars. In March 1843 Rusk learns of the purchase of 900 miles of track, 3 locomotives, & 26 train cars of different types. In May of 1843 a man named Thomas Granger from Massachusetts requests a meeting with Rusk hoping to get the opportunity to oversea the construction of Texas first railroads. President Rusk nearly instantly begins liking Granger & hires him as the main overseer.

Thomas Granger a man born in 1793 to a middle-class family began working on the railroads under Philip E. Thomas & George Brown of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad & quickly began working his way up the command line until becoming an assistant overseer in 1838. After moving to Galveston, Texas to for the Galveston Railway Company & gathering supplies to begin construction Granger runs into his first problem, not being able to pay the amount of workers needed to build the railroad. Always being anti-slavery Granger had turned down the Texas governments proposal to assist him in purchasing slave labor but with only able to afford to pay for so few free workers Granger decides on a compromise, through government assistance & convincing Texans to buy stock in the Galveston Railway Co. he acquires 400 slaves. In September 1843 construction begins in Galveston on Texas’s first railroad set to go from Galveston to Houston & then to the growing town of Austin before heading to San Antonio.

From the beginning work goes at a surprisingly smooth steady pace getting out of the Galveston Houston area within two months & heading towards site of the Declaration of Independence Washington-on-the-Brazos. However as progress continues in the east devastation comes in the west. In December 1843 at a small settlement on the Devils River, 42 settlers are massacred by a band of Comanche. When news of this attack spreads many settlers in fear of being attacked begin moving away from the Texas western frontier. This panic brings President Rusk to dispatch 400 soldiers to patrol the area which calms the settlers somewhat.

Though the troops keeps the Indians at bay for the time being President Rusk knows he needs a more permanent force to help quell hostile Indians & in February 1844 Rusk calls on Texas Ranger Robert McAlpin Williamson to increase the Rangers strength to 350 & begin patrolling the frontier areas & protect settlers.

While the dangers of frontier life grow in the West back East construction of the railroad reaches the final stretch into San Antonio. In late May 1844 the completion of the first half of the railroad is completed & against the wishes of his stockholders Thomas Granger frees the now 450 slaves in his possession stating he had always been against slavery & these slaves had earned their freedom. With now losing 90% of his free workforce Granger rehires 300 of his former slaves along with acquiring 250 new slaves with the same plan of freeing them after finishing the new railroad stretch in the small town of Corpus Christi. To Granger’s surprise a few Texans purchase the slaves for him or buy stock so he could purchase them himself to let them gain their freedom. Many consider this the beginning of forming the future anti-slavery movements in the country.

On August 23 1844 what many call the true beginning of the Texas-Comanche Wars happens in the Battle of the Pecos River between 500 Texas Rangers & soldiers against 600 Comanche Indians, after 24 hours of fierce fighting the Texans drive back the Comanche warriors. The final casualty toll for the Texans would be 98 dead with 143 wounded & Comanche dead numbers remain unknown but are figure at 200-400. Over the last 4 months of his term President Rusk will raise active troop strength from 1200 to 1600 & Texas Ranger strength from 350 to 600, & the construction of a string of Ranger & army forts along the western frontier to more actively pursue & drive away any hostile Indians.

In November 1844 the last stretch of Texas’s first railroad is finished when it is joined into the rail lines the French had already built in anticipation that surround the Corpus Christi Bay. As before in San Antonio Thomas Granger frees all the slaves that were constructing the railroad & also as before many stay & work for pay on developments on more railways. Over the next ten years Granger would oversee the building of a web of railroads stretching from Louisiana & the Gulf to the westernmost settlements before dieing at his home in Galveston after building the largest business’s in the Republic of Texas.

Well guys I hope that all this is good & that if any doesn’t sound quite right just let me know & well see if I can correct it.

Last edited:
1845-1850

In December 1844 James W. Robinson was elected President replacing the very popular President Rusk. Robinson’s first year in office would mostly be focused on the growing hostilities between the Comanche & Texas settlers slowly pushing west. In June 1845 Comanche leader Buffalo Hump gathered 1200 Comanche warriors & began the Great Raid of 1845 which started by the attack on Fort Crockett ( near OTL San Angelo, Texas). The attack came at night surprising the fort & leaving 111 of the 200 people there killed before pushing southeast staying near the Nueces River towards the ocean. For the next week Buffalo Hump would raid homes & villages before running into a force of 1000 Texas troops, rangers, & local militia near the Sabinal River commanded by general Felix Huston. The Great Raid of 1845 would end after 2 days of fighting on June 23, 1845 when chief Buffalo Hump & 712 of the approximately 1100 warriors he still had were killed at the Battle of the Sabinal River. After the battle the Texans gathered their casualties & set the count at 468 dead & 212 wounded including General Huston who had an arrow hit him in his left shoulder, though he wouldn’t lose the arm it would be useless the rest of his life.

The Battle of the Sabinal River was a wake up call for many in the Texas Government including President Robinson who had been skeptical about increasing the army size to up the war effort against the Comanche & from July to December 1845 the Texas army would be increased from 1600 active troops to 2500 active troops to more quickly defeat the Comanche.

From January 1846 on Texas would mainly focus on securing more of its frontier during its ongoing war against the Comanche until September 19, 1847 when Colonel John Coffee Hays & 90 Texas Rangers come across a band of 75 Comanche warriors including the main Comanche chiefs Old Owl & Santa Anna on the Caprock Escarpment near Mount Blanco. In the short one hour Battle of Mount Blanco Colonel Hays’s Rangers capture Old Owl & kills Santa Anna & 32 warriors while only losing 28. With losing two of their best war chiefs & tired of war the Comanche agree to talk peace with Texas.

On October 26, 1847 at where the Great Raid of 1845 began Fort Crockett the Treaty of 1847 would be signed by Comanche leaders Muk-wah-ruh, Iron Jacket, & Peta Nocona giving peace in Texas & forcing the Comanche tribes to relinquish the land they claimed back to the Caprock Escarpment & Big Bend.

In December 1847 the Texas hero Sam Houston would be re-elected President after being out of Texas politics for nearly nine years. Though Houston’s predecessor James Robinson had successfully defeated the Comanche & a large section of land for Texas, he had also spent a great deal of money funding the army & Rangers leaving the troubles for Houston. To lessen the governments expenses Houston’s first act would be to decrease the army from 3000 troops to 1500 & the Texas Rangers from 900 to 200.

With the western lands now peaceful the immigration of settlers slowly begins to pick up & in October 1848 the population around Fort Crockett reaches 1000 & the town of Fort Crockett is incorporated as the western most community in Texas. With more & more settlements popping up in western Texas the Galveston Railway Co. begins campaigning to get funds from the government to build new railroads west across Texas. Though wary about investing the money President Houston approves the funding to build a 200 mile railroad from Austin to the growing settlement of Dallas in February 1849 knowing that railroads would link the country together.

To secure money to fund the railroad west, President Houston sends Anson Jones to the US with an offer to sell Texas’s northwestern panhandle. In September 1849 Jones returns to Texas with news that a deal had been made with the US. The US had purchased the northwestern panhandle for $300,000, & 2000 miles of railroad tracks.

When news of the purchases reaches Mexico, it infuriates the Mexican government which didn’t recognize Texas & considered that area of land still part of Mexico. In response to act Mexico sends 5000 troops into the disputed territory of New Mexico. Upon learning of Mexican troop movements President Houston begins planning an expedition to New Mexico to secure the area for Texas.

From January to August 1850 General Felix Huston gathered & trained 2500 men at Fort Pecos (near OTL McCamey) for a march up the Pecos River to capture Santa Fe & gain control of New Mexico & the Santa Fe Trail. During these eight months the planned route had been traveled & mapped as well as connections made with pro-Texas locals by Captain Hugh McCleod & Captain Peter Hansborough Bell. On September 1, 1850 the Santa Fe Expedition would set out from Fort Pecos on the 450 mile journey to Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe Expedition would pretty much go as planned for the first 400 miles but on October 27, 1850 the expedition would run into 1200 Mexican troops under General Manuel Armijo as they neared the settlement of La Cuesta (Villanueva, New Mexico). On October 28, 1850 the Battle of La Cuesta was fought ending with General Armijo retreating to Santa Fe after losing 450. After burying their 378 dead General Huston & the expedition leave La Cuesta & continue toward Santa Fe. On December 2,1850 the expedition would reach Santa Fe but find that it was garrisoned by 1500 Mexican troops & 780 militia under General Armijo. Instead of risking defeat in attacking the fortified city General Huston orders his troops to dig in & lay siege to the city. General Huston also sends out riders going back to Fort Pecos to request more troops as well as riders out to try & find any pro-Texas locals to volunteer to assist in taking Santa Fe.

President Houston’s term would end before word on the expedition could reach him & in late December 1850 another for president would be re-elected & Thomas Jefferson Rusk would become the 6th president of Texas & states that he will continue taking Texas in the direction that Houston was going at least in trying to secure the land that it had always claimed.

Well I hope that’s good if something doesn’t sound right please tell me & I’ll try & figure out how to make it better. Let me know what you think of the TL so far.

Last edited:
In early January 1851 Captain Peter H. Bell reaches Fort Pecos with word on the siege at Santa Fe. He informs the garrison’s commander General Albert Sidney Johnston that General Huston’s troops are up against over 2000 Mexican troops in Santa Fe & an unknown amount throughout the rest of New Mexico. Upon hearing this General Johnston sends a rider to the nearest train station & telegraph office in Fort Crockett with a request for more troops to be sent to New Mexico, but General Johnston knows even if his request is approved it would be months before any reinforcements reach Santa Fe. Though any official reinforcements would be months away Captain Bell does gather 50 volunteers from around Fort Pecos & they set out for Santa Fe at the end of January. Back in Santa Fe Captain McCleod returns from his trek to find local volunteers surprising General Huston with 150 volunteers. These volunteers join the Texans around Santa Fe & the siege continues.

In February 1851 President Rusk receives the message from General Johnston for reinforcements to be sent to Santa Fe. After talking with the Texas Congress agree to fund a force of 800 troops & 200 Texas Rangers to be sent to assist in taking control of New Mexico. In March 1000 troops & Rangers leave the rail yard at Fort Crockett to Fort Pecos to begin the journey to Santa Fe.

In early March 1851 after 10 years of growth & immigration the Texas Government decided it was time to have the nations first census. Over the next 4 months government employee’s mainly Texas Rangers would travel across the controlled areas of Texas helping the government to get a count on the population. In early June the census is considered finish with a final count of 255,000 whites, 112,000 Hispanics, 6000 free blacks, & 85,000 slaves.

Before the reinforcements can reach the setoff point at Fort Pecos victory comes to the Texans. On March 6,1851 after being under siege for three months General Manuel Armijo surrenders Santa Fe & his 2000 troops to General Huston. After securing the city General Huston sends Captain Bell back to Fort Pecos with word of the capture of Santa Fe & reinforcements would no longer be needed. Captain Bell arrives in Fort Pecos at the end of March just days before the departure of the reinforcements giving General Johnston the good news & stopping the movement. The hope of no other hostilities with Mexico over New Mexico would be short lived however with Mexico secretly moving troops to the Rio Grande for a surprise attack.

The Mexican War

Shortly after 2:00AM on April 14,1851 General Mariano Arista crosses the Rio Grande with 1700 troops launching a surprise attack on Fort Fannin outside Brownsville. By 6:00AM General Arista had taken control of the fort killing 89 of the 175 troops with a loss of 200 of his own. Near the same time as General Arista, General José Castro crosses into Laredo with little resistance & begins preparing to push deeper inland with his 1200 troops to take Fort Burleson.

Word of the Mexican invasion reaches President Rusk on April 15,1851. He immediately calls up congress asking them to declare war. On April, 16 Texas officially declares war on Mexico & approves the raising of the active army levels from 4000 to at least 10,000 with the ability to raise levels to 35,000 without another congress session. By the end of April 21,000 men had volunteered to go & fight.

While an army was being raised in the east riders were riding fast from Fort Crockett to Fort Pecos & Santa Fe with word of the war. On April 24 after riders bring him word of the start of the war General Johnston mobilizes the 1000 troops originally destined for Santa Fe along with 250 of the 400 permanently garrisoned troops at Fort Pecos & sets out for still Mexican controlled town of El Paso. On May 12 General Johnston reaches El Paso & defeats the 300 Mexican troops garrisoned in the city.

Back east the first large battle of the war happens when General Sidney Sherman attacks General Arista who had moved from Fort Fannin to Brownsville on May 6 the Battle of Brownsville happens ending in the retreat of General Arista back over the Rio Grande & General Sherman begins readying his 4000 troops to invade Mexico. While fighting begins near the Rio Grande word of war finally arrives to Santa Fe & to General Huston. After learning of the war he begins readying the 2500 troops he commands as well as sending out requests for volunteers from the surrounding areas. To his surprise he would get 600 volunteers between May 10 & June 15 offering to help fight.

The army to push General José Castro out of Laredo would be commanded by General Philip Dimmitt. On May 9 as General Dimmitt nears Laredo with 6000 troops General Castro, rather than put his troops up against the larger Texas Army retreats into Mexico. On May 10 since Laredo was taken without a fight General Dimmitt crosses the Rio Grande & begins going after General Castro who retreats to Monterrey where an additional 2000 Mexican troops were stationed. The Battle of Monterrey would on May 18 ending with the retreat of General Castro on May 20 after losing 800 troops.

From May 20 to the end of June no major military action would occur from either side as both armies ready for movements. But July would be the beginning of 4 major offensives by Texas. On July 2 General Sherman crosses into Matamoros quickly defeating the 300 troops that stayed behind to defend the city & begins the 200 mile march to Ciudad Victoria. On July 6 General Dimmitt wins the Battle of Saltillo. On July 11 General Huston leaves Santa Fe with 3200 troops causing havoc as they begin to zig zag throughout New Mexico & Alta California towards the Pacific Coast. The fourth offensive would start at El Paso after General Johnston gets 2500 reinforcements sets out for the Gulf of California.

July would end with Texas troops pushing west & south with Mexico unable to stop any advances. But in Mexico City two young generals Porfirio Díaz & Ignacio Zaragoza were raising armies to stop Dimmitt & Sherman’s advances to the south.

Any of my numbers sound too high let me know & I’ll try & change them to be more reasonable.

Last edited:
Your persistency is to be commended. I like the amount of detail, but it would also be interesting to know what the changes in the U.S. are.

Your persistency is to be commended. I like the amount of detail, but it would also be interesting to know what the changes in the U.S. are.
thank you & i am trying to put some on the growth of the US like how the Anglo-American War is going but i really have a one track mind so its hard for me to really ever get off course from the main country in the TL Texas. In my head i really had the US for the most part following OTL except for the war & theirs a big country in the way of the souths attempts to move slavery farther west. i have some ideas floating around in my head that has the US in them pretty big , i just gotta think of stuf between now & then to write down

While the Mexican War would be focused mostly on land, war would also take to the sea. Upon the Texas declaration of war the Texas Navy consisted of the sloop-of-war Austin, brigs Wharton & Archer, schooner San Bernard & Galveston, & the steam-screw frigates Fisher, Hawkins, & Goliad. While being small the Texas navy set out from Galveston on June 2 under the command of Commodore Edwin Ward Moore on the 24 gun screw frigate Goliad. Soon after setting sail Commodore Moore split’s the navy into sets of two giving the ships to sink or if possible capture all Mexican ships they find. By the end of the war the Texas Navy would sink 22 Mexican navy, merchant, & fishing vessels & capture 29 Mexican navy, merchant, & fishing vessels including the steamers Guadaloupe & Regenerator, the brig Yucateco, & the sloop-of-war Independencia & only losing the Austin & San Bernard.

The only major engagement between Texas & Mexican troops in August would be on August 8 in the Battle of Ciudad Victoria where General Sherman would finally catch up to General Arista who declared that he will hold Ciudad Victoria until the last man. After four & a half days of intense battle in the morning of August 13 General Arista’s headquarters would finally be overran & he would be killed trying to fight his way out by a young corporal in the cavalry under Colonel Manuel N. Flores named J.E.B. Stuart. News of the decisive victory at Ciudad Victoria would spread quickly throughout Texas & many would see it as the beginning of the end of the war.

The good news would be short lived however, on September 9 Generals Porfirio Díaz & Ignacio Zaragoza would reach Ciudad Victoria with 24,000 Mexican troops under them. The 2nd Battle of Ciudad Victoria would rage from September 9-16 before it would end after General Sherman is killed, after the death of the general Colonel Flores now in command would order a retreat from the city. Though the Texans killed 5600 Mexicans they only escaped with 900 of the nearly 5000 Texas troops would escape the city. On September 20 Generals Díaz & Zaragoza would split their troops to go after Flores & move on Saltillo but not before ordering the execution of 750 Texas prisoners.

News of the massacre at Victoria would change the loss of moral caused from the 2nd Battle of Ciudad Victoria into anger throughout Texas & over the next two months over 20,000 would volunteer to get justice for the massacre. Colonel Flores would be commended for his actions after the death of Sherman & on September 30 would be risen to the rank of general though he would not hear about it until October 10 when his army would reach Brownsville.

Hopes for another decisive victory would not happen for General Zaragoza, on October 1 his army would reach Saltillo to find it burned to the ground & deserted. General Dimmitt had order a general retreat from Saltillo on September 25 pillaging & destroying all communities & homes between them & the Rio Grande.

While retreat was happening in the east in the west was a different story. On September 3 General Johnston defeats the small Mexican garrison at Puerto Peñasco & on October 1 wins the Battle of San Diego making it to the Pacific Ocean with the loss of only 300 men. General Huston little resistance until defeating 500 Mexican troops at the Battle of the Colorado River on September 11. His army would travel smoothly to the Pacific Ocean & on October 25 would claim San Francisco & all of California for Texas.

Except for the occasional skirmish the Mexican War would be for the most part quite the rest of 1851 while Texas forces on the Rio Grande regroup & rearm for a second offensive into Mexico.

I hope this is ok just like on the rest if something doesn’t add up just let
me know.

Last edited:
Good continuation of the timeline. It is a shame that your timeline doesn't have a lot of posters.
thanks well i like making this TL & as long as i see the views go up everytime i post a new piece & at least get some posts im useally pretty happy

1852 to would begin with the armies under Dimmitt & Flores in Texas regaining their strength after the disastrous 2nd Battle of Ciudad Victoria. But on January 18,1852 scouts from the newly formed Army of the Pecos inform their commander General Dimmitt that General Zaragoza has split his army into two groups of 4500 leaving one half in Nuevo Laredo, & bringing the other half across into Laredo. Learning of the split in the Mexican army General Dimmitt makes a plan to take out General Zaragoza & half his army. Though not at the planned strength of 12,000 General Dimmitt begins mobilizing his 9000 troops to attack Laredo & destroy Zaragoza’s army. On January 25 Dimmitt begins moving his army toward Laredo. To cut of a route for Mexican retreat he also sends out a squad of Texas Rangers under command of Robert McAlpin Williamson with explosives to destroy an river crossing during the night & scout orders to kill anyone thought to be a Mexican scout. In the early morning of January 27 Zaragoza would be shaken from his bed by a series of explosions taking out the crossings between Laredo & Mexico, soon after calls for the attack shouting “leave no man under Zaragoza alive”.

In just over two hours the majority of the Battle of Laredo would be over. After losing 3700 men Zaragoza & his remaining 800 men would breakout to the south & begin retreating down the Rio Grande. Over the next week Dimmitt’s cavalry would chase & attack Zaragoza in what would be called the Seven Days Battles ending on February 3 in the town of Benavides where Zaragoza would finally be captured & hung soon after. Out of the 4500 Mexicans that were in Laredo the estimates were that only 30-60 escaped into Mexico & after seeing the destruction of half their army the rest of Zaragoza’s troops would retreat from Nuevo Laredo rather than face the wrath of the Texans vengeance.

On February 16 the Army of South Texas under General Flores launches its second invasion of Mexico crossing over into Matamoros. After burning most of Matamoros Flores’s army begins a two week march back to General Díaz’s position in Ciudad Victoria burning every home & town along the way. On March 2 the 3rd Battle of Ciudad Victoria began with Flores’s cavalry quickly overrunning the outer lines & pushing the Mexicans back into the city. March 2-10 Flores would encircle the city & begin bombarding the city. After eight days Flores sent a messenger into the city stating to the Mexican troops if the gave up General Díaz they would be spared but if they didn’t they like him would all be killed for the Victoria Massacre. After no word for two days the bombardment would pick up on March 12 & continue the rest of the month. Anticipating of having to fight into the city Flores sends out riders to look for General Dimmitt on March 15.

On February 22 the Army of the Pecos would leave Laredo, finally up to their 12,000 strength. Like with Flores Dimmitt’s army would burn & destroy everything in its path until Monterrey where they would find the remnants of Zaragoza’s army have joined up with General Castro. On February 28 the 2nd Battle of Monterrey would be fought ending with half of Castro’s army destroyed & he retreats to outside Saltillo. The Battle of Buena Vista was fought on March 4 & would end on March 6 with the surrender of General Castro & the 1200 troops he still held.

Flores’s rider would reach Saltillo on March 18 with the request for Dimmitt’s assistance in taking Ciudad Victoria. After reading the request Dimmitt gathers his army & quickly begins a forced march to assist Flores. Dimmitt’s troops would reach Flores’s position on March 31 & both armies would begin preparing for a push to try & take the city. The final push in the 3rd Battle of Ciudad Victoria would begin on April 6 with 20,000 Texans moving into the city. For a week the battle would be fought block by block, house by house until on April 14 General Díaz is shot & killed while fighting to hold the Texans out of the city center. This would be the bloodiest battle of the war with 9000 of the 20,000 Texans that fought would be killed or wounded & as Flores had told them of the 8000 Mexican troops that were in the city all that were discover were either killed in battle or executed later but as many as 100 were excepted to have deserted & fled before the final battle begin.

After the learning of the devastation of the battle President Rusk orders Dimmitt & Flores to stay in Victoria while a diplomat was sent to discuss peace with Mexico. In late April Anson Jones met Miguel Atristain in Veracruz to discuss peace talks. The talks would go on for a month with neither side being able to agree on land, Atristain said that Mexico was willing to recognize the independence of Texas & the boundary of the Rio Grande but Jones informed him that Texas would settle for nothing less than the Rio Grande as the border & the Mexican cession of Nuevo Mexico & California to Texas. Seeing these talks going nowhere President Rusk calls up Commodore Moore to plan up an amphibious landing of troops at Tampico which would cut the amount of time supplies would take to get to the front. After a month of planning the landing date was set for June 25 & Jones was ordered out of Veracruz.

On June 17 the armies of South Texas & the Pecos would leave Victoria, General Flores would begin the march to Tampico to assist in the planned landing at the city. While Flores marched to the gulf General Dimmitt would move more inland toward San Luis Potosí. On June 24 Flores would begin the Battle of Tampico. Surprising to him the city would have a guard of 5000 Mexican soldiers who had been awaiting the Texas landing. The next day while the Mexicans were focused on General Flores, Commodore Moore successfully landed 1500 Texas Marines on the beaches. The Battle of Tampico would end six hours after the marine landing which had caught the Mexican army by surprise.

General Dimmitt would reach San Luis Potosí on July 1 & find the city guarded by only 750 troops. Instead of fighting into the city he sends a rider to the city commander requesting their surrender, after learning he would be up against 10,000 Texans he accepts the surrender & San Luis Potosí would be taken without a fight. After taking any supplies or things of value Dimmitt would leave San Luis Potosí on July 19 on the road to Mexico City. On August 4 in northern Querétaro Dimmitt would run into 7000 Mexican troops under Antonio López de Santa Anna who had recently retaken the presidency of Mexico. The Battle of Sierra Gorda would begin soon after & both sides begin to dig down unwilling to fall back.

On July 2 with Tampico under Texas control Flores would continue south reinforced with 1000 marines raiding coastal towns before also turning inland to Mexico City. The only resistance Flores would face on the march to Mexico City would be against 1200 soldiers at the short Battle of Pachuca on July 28. On August 13 Flores’s forces would reach Mexico City & begin preparing to push into the city. The push would begin on August 16 against the 5000 troops Santa Anna had left to defend the city after four days of fighting General Nicolás Bravo would come to General Flores with the request of surrender to save the rest of his troops & the city from destruction. General Flores accepts his surrender & enters the city on August 22 setting up his army headquarters in the National Palace.

On August 23 after over two weeks of battle the Texas forces finally breakthrough the Mexican lines & begin pushing the Mexicans back & on August 25 Santa Anna would be shot & killed by Texas Ranger Captain Jeremiah Johnson while trying to flee dressed as a private. Word of the fall of Mexico City would reach Dimmitt on September 2 & he would begin moving his army to meet up with Flores & bring the body of Santa Anna back to the Mexican government.

Though the fighting was over the war was officially not, on October 8 senior members of the Mexican government would meet with Generals Flores & Dimmitt. The generals peace terms were harsh, recognize Texas independence, accept the border as the Rio Grande & the Texas annexation of Nuevo Mexico, California, the Baja Peninsula, & parts of northern Sonora or the army would completely destroy Mexico City & begin a campaign destroying every Mexican city until terms are met (many would later believe the threat to destroy the Mexican cities to be a bluff but would never be proven either way). With no room for haggle the Mexican government accepts & the Treaty of Mexico City is signed on October 10.

News of the end of the war would spread quickly throughout Texas & President Rusk would name October 10 as the national holiday “Victory Day”. In late November the armies of South Texas & the Pecos would return home to a heroes welcome. Over the next 6 months the Texas Army would be cut from 50,000 to 10,000 & life for many of the soldiers would return to normal.

Well I hope I ended the war & I hope any tall reading these will tell me what ya think. I’ll also have up a map & wiki box of the war statistics later.

heres a map of NA for yall

ignore Canadian border decided to go a differant way & lost map

1814.png

1814.png

Last edited: