Remapping the Levant

Jlinker613

Banned
What if Britain were to have kept its word and gave the Jews all of Palestine and Transjordan for a Jewish state, and the French had given the Alawites their own state? Would there have near immediately been a mass exodus of Jews from Germany, Russia, and Poland? Could there have been a rapid movement of Arab Shias and Christians to the Alawite state and Lebanon respectively? Would people like Einstein have gone to Israel instead of the United States? Would Israel sign some sort of defense agreement with Christian Lebanon to defend against pan-arab nationalists and/or Syrian irridentists? How would the neighboring Arab states, or the local Arabs have reacted? How would this have affected the course of WW2?

Jlinker613

Banned
Well the Nazis in Germany were cooperating with Zionist organizations in Palestine in order to move the Jews there and out of Germany, so there could have been an extra million Jews there, plus the Syrians were under french control so they couldn't do anything, and the Egyptians were under British control so they couldn't do anything.

I don't think that British ever intended to keep their word. They were too friendly towards the Arabs and Muslims in general. If you want an early Israel, then the Ottoman empire would need to be defeated and dismantled by another European power, and ironically Germany is the most likely to do it.

Last edited:
I can't say which would be the best POD. There topic of alternate world wars has been discussed intensely on this forum and there are many scenarios where the Germans and Ottomans end up on opposite sides.

You may wanna check out my own timeline in my signature, which is primarily concerned with these things (though quite new; only 2 posts so far, and a third on the way soon)

Basically, massive immigration from Jews leads to a majority there quickly.

Lebanon and Alawite, on the other hand...they existed IRL, and no one much cared. Granted the Alawite state was absorbed by Syria after 15 years, but even in that time there was no major immigration of Alawites from across Syria or the Arab world.