WI: No Quebec Act

Glen

Okay, this is an idea I've been kicking around for a while now.

The Quebec Act of 1774 was probably the keystone to securing Quebec loyalty during the ARW (though it was also one of the 'intolerable acts' for the other Colonies). An uncharacteristically liberal (in terms of granting rights to Catholics) piece of legislation from Parliament of the time.

WI it didn't happen?

Probably the Colonies still had enough grievances to trigger the ARW. However, now we might see a Quebec much more receptive to the Continental Congress' calls to join them.

What happens if Quebec is the 14th Colony to break away from the British?

I see many, many possibilities in this...

Glen

Straha said:
Why not combine this with Benedict Arnold taking quebec?

Because there is no need for Benedict Arnold to take Quebec with this POD. Quebec is Rebel! Instead, he can take New Brunswick...

Xen

Banned
Maybe a different French-Indian War. Britain takes Haiti, gives Florida to Spain and allows France to retain Louisiana. American Colonists begin to settle Quebec, much to the resentment of the French settlers. Although the Colonists have grievances against Parliment, the ARW is butterflied away. When Quebecers raise up in arms against the Colonials they are crushed by the British and Colonial militaries. Quebecers are forced to leave their homes and resettle in Louisiana, ala Acadia.

Eventually there might be some grievances that allow an ARW to take place, but I doubt it would all fall together like it did in OTL. Maybe something will be worked out that will allow the Colonials to seperate itself from the rule of Parliment but retain its loyalty to the King. Maybe we have King George III of Britain and King George I of America, who is represented by a Governor General or maybe even one of his sons, and instead of Parliment there is a Continental Congress that meets in Philadelphia representing all the Colonies.

Glen

Xen said:
Maybe a different French-Indian War. Britain takes Haiti, gives Florida to Spain and allows France to retain Louisiana. American Colonists begin to settle Quebec, much to the resentment of the French settlers. Although the Colonists have grievances against Parliment, the ARW is butterflied away. When Quebecers raise up in arms against the Colonials they are crushed by the British and Colonial militaries. Quebecers are forced to leave their homes and resettle in Louisiana, ala Acadia.

Eventually there might be some grievances that allow an ARW to take place, but I doubt it would all fall together like it did in OTL. Maybe something will be worked out that will allow the Colonials to seperate itself from the rule of Parliment but retain its loyalty to the King. Maybe we have King George III of Britain and King George I of America, who is represented by a Governor General or maybe even one of his sons, and instead of Parliment there is a Continental Congress that meets in Philadelphia representing all the Colonies.

All very interesting, and worthy of perhaps its own WI thread....

What does this have to do with a POD in 1774 of no Quebec Act?

Glen Finney said:
All very interesting, and worthy of perhaps its own WI thread....

What does this have to do with a POD in 1774 of no Quebec Act?
Prevents it from coming into being.

Glen

Othniel said:
Prevents it from coming into being.

Unnecessary. And the POD IS 1774 no Quebec Act, not, what POD will lead to no Quebec Act.

So what is your take on what could happen if there were no Quebec Act in 1774, Oth?

The American Colonists are more dispered leading to less conflict with the powers at home and more with the Indian nations. In essence they would need more British protection, and thus wouldn't mind paying more for it while they still needed it. Oh the otherside it makes French Revolt more likely, as well as the Indians leading to a fifth colum in any French War. In addition to the Irish question we may see a later resolve to disolve union with Britain made by the Quebecious. Britain fights the Indian Wars for us out to the Mississippi river. In addition there is a later revolt by colonists once we no longer need British Millitary intervenetion.

Glen

Othniel said:
The American Colonists are more dispered leading to less conflict with the powers at home and more with the Indian nations.

Not over the course of a single year, Oth. The Quebec act was passed in 1774, the ARW really started in 1775, though the Declaration of Independence didn't get going until 1776.

In essence they would need more British protection, and thus wouldn't mind paying more for it while they still needed it.

Are you serious? The Colonists would mind paying for it, whether they 'needed' it or not.

Oh the otherside it makes French Revolt more likely, as well as the Indians leading to a fifth colum in any French War.

By French, I take it you mean Quebec? Yes, it does. Of course, they have allies in all those colonies to the South about to do the same thing.

In addition to the Irish question we may see a later resolve to disolve union with Britain made by the Quebecious.

See above.

Britain fights the Indian Wars for us out to the Mississippi river. In addition there is a later revolt by colonists once we no longer need British Millitary intervenetion.

I don't think that you can get this with a POD in 1774. Maybe if you have a second divergence which leads to the US not breaking from Britain.

The British aren't going to send much in the way of troops to fight Native Americans for American Colonists. They proved that OTL enough times. Even if we pay for the priviledge. Besides which, the colonists will consider themselves able to do so. They want the British to not get in their way...

I think Quebec would break away from the union, though I doubt it would join the new union, and instead go off on it's own.

It may inspire the Floridian Colonies to revolt, though, so we may end up with a few more states from the onset anyway.

Glen

Imajin said:
I think Quebec would break away from the union, though I doubt it would join the new union, and instead go off on it's own.

It may inspire the Floridian Colonies to revolt, though, so we may end up with a few more states from the onset anyway.

Well, initially I think they'd hold together. At least until the war's end.

And the Articles of Confederation aren't too onerous, so they might still remain linked up to the Constitution.

What happens then? Now the Quebecois have been working with the rest of America for neigh on two decades. Would they see breaking away as in their best interests?

Maybe instead we see added to the Bill of Rights that Congress shall make no law with regards to Language....

Why would the Quebecois joining the Revolution inspire Florida to revolt? I just don't think there are really enough people there either way at this point in time to foster a rebellion...

Glen Finney said:
Why would the Quebecois joining the Revolution inspire Florida to revolt? I just don't think there are really enough people there either way at this point in time to foster a rebellion...
If it looks like Britain in the Americas is falling apart... maybe Florida isn't as likely, but Nova Scotia may be (it was rather close to OTL), if they can defeat the British in Halifax.

Imajin said:
If it looks like Britain in the Americas is falling apart... maybe Florida isn't as likely, but Nova Scotia may be (it was rather close to OTL), if they can defeat the British in Halifax.

Well, the Québecois fight the Brits along with the American Colonists in an uneasy alliance. Fighting not much more conclusive than OTL, so call to France and Spain made anyway. France puts as a condition to its support the restoration of its rule in Québec, which may not displease Québecois that much, and seems like a little price to the Colonists for getting the support of a Great Power in their struggle.

At the Treaty of Paris, Québec is returned to France, with some parts of New Brunswick. Loyalists settle mostly in Ontario (if not successfully invaded from both Québec and the US) and the Western Provinces. Québec eventually gets a sort of Dominion status and ultimately independence somewhere in the late 19th century.

Glen

benedict XVII said:
Well, the Québecois fight the Brits along with the American Colonists in an uneasy alliance. Fighting not much more conclusive than OTL, so call to France and Spain made anyway. France puts as a condition to its support the restoration of its rule in Québec, which may not displease Québecois that much, and seems like a little price to the Colonists for getting the support of a Great Power in their struggle.

At the Treaty of Paris, Québec is returned to France, with some parts of New Brunswick. Loyalists settle mostly in Ontario (if not successfully invaded from both Québec and the US) and the Western Provinces. Québec eventually gets a sort of Dominion status and ultimately independence somewhere in the late 19th century.

Ontario wasn't split off of Quebec at the beginning of the ARW, and wouldn't be here. Maybe the loyalists go West as you say.

And what happens with the French Revolution? I think it unlikely that France won't have it just because they have reacquired Quebec. What happens then?

Either Quebec breaks loose during the French Revolution/Aftermath, or it stays for the duration, in which case why wouldn't it eventually become a Department of France. If Guiana can, surely Quebec can...

Glen Finney said:
Unnecessary. And the POD IS 1774 no Quebec Act, not, what POD will lead to no Quebec Act.

So what is your take on what could happen if there were no Quebec Act in 1774, Oth?

My Canadian history is a bit rust, but I believe that POD that could lead to the Quebec Act not being pass would be Governor Carleton following his secret instructions from London and repealing the earlier laws that had protected that French and enusure their loyalty to the British Crown.

Glen

Mike Stearns said:
My Canadian history is a bit rust, but I believe that POD that could lead to the Quebec Act not being pass would be Governor Carleton following his secret instructions from London and repealing the earlier laws that had protected that French and enusure their loyalty to the British Crown.

That could be.

However, it would be just as simple to have the POD be that the Quebec Act doesn't happen due to politics in London.

Really, it was rather out of character when you think about it...

I am not sure there is a POD that will prevent the Quebec Act or something similiar. The years between the French surrender and the Act and then the US declaration of Independence is not very long. The Act itself is a response on the part of the British to the increasingly restive situation in the colonies themselves. Something along these lines if not this Act itself will almost certainly come into place as soon as the Colonies and Britain come to blows.

Quebec society itself is largely agrarian and highly conservative at this time.
The French elites and merchant classes having returned to France in the wake of the treaty of 1763, to be replaced by "les anglais". though not in very large numbers. The the English colonial population is a very small minority at this point.

The Act itself, with a few additions only codified into law what was actually "defacto" in practice anyway in that province. Key provisions of the initial proclamation of 1763 were never enacted or put into place by either Governor Murray or Carlton.

Both came to appreciate the political value of the RC church and its influence in maintaining Br. rule in the province. The Br. came to appreciate the value of the orderly French seignieurial society, used to authority, as an alternative to the increasingly restive American colonies in the wake of the Stamp Act in 1765. Thus any POD will have to occur largely in that very tiny window between 1763 and 1765. If you want a restive Quebec province. Even so, Quebec will never join the US as state. The risk of assimilation would be immediate. If they rebel it will be to achieve their own independence, probably based on at least the borders of New France or to re-establish the connection with France itself.

Even if the Quebec Act is delayed, "les Canadiens" are not likely to revolt. At best, the Church and the seignieurs adopt the same position as the vast majority of the French population, the tenants of the siegnieuries, "les habitants". They were quite happy to see both of their old foes, the British army and American Colonial militias at each others throats instead of their's for a change. They will be neutral instead of openly supporting the British, at least from the point of view of keeping the American colonials out of the province. That will of course change as soon as the Americans are so foolish to engage in their foolhardy invasion of Quebec. Even 'les habitants" joined the pro-British camp at that point...at least from the perspective that they saw value in at least defending the province against the old enemy "les Bostonais", the New Englanders. So after 1775, it is virtually going to be impossible to get them to revolt.

Glen Finney said:
That could be.

However, it would be just as simple to have the POD be that the Quebec Act doesn't happen due to politics in London.

The Quebec Act itself is really irrelevant to whether Quebec would revolt or not. The British upheld in the wake of of the 1763 proclamation the key surrender terms of 1759, the rights to the French language and the RC faith that gained and maintained the support of the very influential RC church in Fr. Canadien society, for the British. Remove those and you probably have the seeds of dissaffection. Though if the British follow that course you will probably have the British follow a more conciliatory policy with respect to the colonies as their secure bastion on the St.Lawrence to retain their position of influence in N.Am. would not exist. Therefore...no ARW. at least not at the same time. You will probably have the Fr. Canadians revolt first. Then it will again be to establish there own independence or re-establish the connection to France. They will view the British Imperials and the old enemy...the American seaboard colonists, with equal suspicion.

Glen

AuroraBorealis said:
I am not sure there is a POD that will prevent the Quebec Act or something similiar. The years between the French surrender and the Act

Eleven years.

and then the US declaration of Independence is not very long.

Two years.

The Act itself is a response on the part of the British to the increasingly restive situation in the colonies themselves. Something along these lines if not this Act itself will almost certainly come into place as soon as the Colonies and Britain come to blows.

By then it would be too late. And if the British were so clearly prescient in heading off unrest in Quebec, why couldn't they do it for the other colonies? I do not find the Quebec Act at all inevitable, in most forms...

Quebec society itself is largely agrarian and highly conservative at this time.
The French elites and merchant classes having returned to France in the wake of the treaty of 1763, to be replaced by "les anglais". though not in very large numbers. The the English colonial population is a very small minority at this point.

Yes, so loyalty to Britain isn't likely to be very high, is it?

The Act itself, wih a few additions only codified into law what was actually "defacto" in practice anyway in that province. Key provisions of the initial proclamation of 1763 were never enacted or put into place by either Governor Murray or Carlton.

True, but that codification makes a big difference.

Also, one major thing the Quebec Act did was grant Quebec a huge area to expand into. That wasn't a codification of a preexisting condition. It was a bribe.

Both came to appreciate the political value of the RC church and its influence in maintaining Br. rule in the province. The Br. came to appreciate the value of the orderly French seignieurial society, used to authority, as an alternative to the increasingly restive American colonies in the wake of the Stamp Act in 1765. Thus any POD will have to occur largely in that very tiny window between 1763 and 1765. If you want a restive Quebec province.

I tend to disagree. While they might not be particularly ardent revolutionaries, without the Quebec Act I don't think we get RC officials recommending staying loyal, and I think you get a very good chance of Quebec, or a significant number of Quebecois, siding with the Revolutionaries.

Even so, Quebec will never join the US as state. The risk of assimilation would be immediate. If they rebel it will be to achieve their own independence, probably based on at least the borders of New France or to re-establish the connection with France itself.

From one extreme to another, eh? These are real possibilities, however recall that the USA was a confederacy in its infancy, and would not be threatening to the Quebecois in terms of assimilation. Heck, several delegates to the Continental Congress were not native English Speakers.

Quebec has managed to stay in Canada. It is not so outrageous to believe that she would consider it to her advantage to stay with the Union, if given proper guarantees.

Even if the Quebec Act is delayed, "les Canadiens" are not likely to revolt. At best, the Church and the seignieurs adopt the same position as the vast majority of the French population, the tenants of the siegnieuries, "les habitants". They were quite happy to see both of their old foes, the British army and American Colonial militias at each others throats instead of their's for a change. They will be neutral instead of openly supporting the British, at least from the point of view of keeping the American colonials out of the province.

So there are no Quebecois who will take up arms against the British? They will just all sit back and watch?

This despite the land already stripped from Quebec (and not returned or compensated for if there is no Quebec Act), and no guarantees that their religion or their laws will remain respected? The status quo may not have been so bad, but without a guarantee from Parliament, it seems somewhat tenuous.

I find it hard to believe, personally.

That will of course change as soon as the Americans are so foolish to engage in their foolhardy invasion of Quebec.

I don't see that happening if there is no Quebec Act. Instead, I think at least some Quebecois will rise up against the British. And instead of Arnold invading Quebec, I see Lafayette being sent in to organize the Quebecois revolutionaries.

Wouldn't take much; I recall hearing somewhere that only about a third of the Americans were actually pro-revolution.

Even 'les habitants" joined the pro-British camp at that point...at least from the perspective that they saw value in at least defending the province against the old enemy "les Bostonais", the New Englanders.

Agreed that an invasion would be a bad idea.

However, in your analysis you just don't seem to believe that the Quebec Act made any difference (which begs the question of why Parliament would then bother with it anyway, particularly when it further inflamed colonial passions to the South).

I think it might have made a real difference, with at least a faction of Quebecois siding with the Revolution. In which case an American Invasion is just plain unlikely.

So after 1775, it is virtually going to be impossible to get them to revolt.

Well, the Quebec Act was 1774, so I guess it isn't impossible;) .

I think the Quebec Act was a very clever bribe. Without that bribe (and it is plausible that it wouldn't go through...Parliament wasn't its most clever for most of this time), I think it is possible we see some movement of Quebec towards the Revolutionaries. The Founding Fathers seemed to think there was a chance. They sent letters to Quebec inviting them to join the Continental Congress. The British Parliament seemed to think there was a chance; why else bother with the Quebec Act which would just further inflame the anger of the colonists to the South, unless they thought it would make a material difference and was worth the trade-off?

Thanks for your comments. I will think further upon them.

Glen Finney said:
That could be.

Perhaps.., but not in the context of what was happening to the south....

Then it is quite understandable as triumph of strategic military planning.