High On The Mountain Top: A Deseret TL.

Zioneer

Banned
Hello everyone! This is MormonMobster, and this post marks the beginning of my TL effort to create both a slightly more tolerant alternate-history LDS church, as well as the much more jarring goal of creating an independent Republic of Deseret! I hope you all enjoy it.

Prologue: The Succession Crisis.

In the short time after the death of Joseph Smith,, many thought the Church of the Latter-Day Saints would dissolve. Those against the Mormons believed that with the death of the prophet, the remaining leaders would fight amongst each other, and what they called "Joe Smith's cult" would break into weak splinter groups. The Mormons themselves were divided on how their beloved leader should be succeeded. Towards the end of his life, Joseph seemed to indicated his brother Hyrum should be his successor. But Hyrum too, had died alongside his brother when a mob stormed Carthage Jail, where they had been imprisoned on charges of treason.[1]

Because of Joseph and Hyrum's sudden deaths, it was unclear who should be leader of the Church. The four[2] main claimants all had different justifications for why they should be leader. The most popular, Brigham Young based his authority on the fact that he was most senior of the Twelve Apostles, which he pointed to as having been decreed by Joseph and therefore God to be the governing body of the Church. Sidney Rigdon based his assumption of leadership on his position as part of the First Presidency, a three-man group composed of the prophet and two Apostles called to be his closest advisers. Unlike Young, Rigdon had taught that Joseph was to be the only prophet of the Church, with an office to be created called "Protector of the Church" to fulfill most of the Prophet's role as leader.

The last two claimants had less administrative and more "spiritually" based claims. James Strang had produced tin plates called the Voree Plates which he claimed were scriptures on par with the Book of Mormon. A sizable portion of Saints had joined him because of his evidence.[3] The last candidate, John C Bennett, was a shadowy figure, hated by Mormons and the Gentiles[4] alike for shady ways, denouncing both when it suited him. Bennett based his claim on his possession of a weapon which he claimed was the sword of Laban, an artifact of great worth in Mormon theology. Strang and Bennett initially both gained large followings, as they had hard "proof" of their spiritual authority.

With all these competing would-be religious leaders, both member and foe could be excused for thinking that the LDS church would break up into various splinter cults.

However, perhaps as the Mormons in Deseret today believe, God thought differently.

As with all my TLs, this is the footnotes section. Any word marked with a number will be explain in this section.

[1]The anti-Mormon groups really liked imprison Joseph for treason. He was jailed several times, and nearly executed each time. The last time, the anti-Mormon mobs stormed Carthage Jail to make sure Joseph didn't get away.

[2]In OTL, there were quite a few minor claimants to being prophet (a couple of former Apostles being two of them), but only three main contenders; Sidney Rigdon, Brigham Young, and James Strang. Bennett was merely a scheming fellow joining each claimant after the last one had kicked him out, then after all Mormon groups had banished him, he denounced them and called the militia on them. I figure that he just as easily could have declared himself prophet. This is one of the two PoDs. As for what the Sword of Laban actually is, you'll see...

[3]Strang specifically had the Voree Plates, which unlike Joseph Smith's Gold Plates, have been found. Thing is, the Voree Plates were in the same code that Strang used for his personal journal. I'll give Strang credit though; neither the Voree plates nor his journal have been deciphered. He was good at codes.

[4]Jewish and early Mormon word for those who do not have a covenant with God/do not have the Gospel.

Last edited:
I am interested in this timeline.

An independent Deseret Republic. Ooh my!

I have also wondered if circumstances would have been different, an earlier state of Deseret. If that would have gone through?

Zioneer

Banned
I am interested in this timeline.

An independent Deseret Republic. Ooh my!

I have also wondered if circumstances would have been different, an earlier state of Deseret. If that would have gone through?

Thank you. As for the circumstances for a state of Deseret... That won't be an issue in this TL. Deseret will start as a Republic.

I see that instead of smaller factions, there is a stronger presence of Mormon settlers in the valley of the Salt Lake.

They break away from Mexico similar to Texas and California?

What is the Mormon view on polygamy in this time line? I suppose that I will find out.

By the way, even though I do not agree with the doctrine of Mormonism, I do believe that they had every right to practice their faith the way that they saw fit as long as it was within the laws of the states and federal government. The persecution that occurred before the ACW was too harsh. I live in Missouri, and I guess that it was legal to shoot a Mormon on sight into the 1900's.

Even if I am the only one following this thread, please continue.

Zioneer

Banned
Apologies to anyone from Illinois for this narrative chapter; I needed a convenient "villain", and an anti-Mormon guy from your state worked best. I don't actually believe that you're toothless or unwashed.

Part 1: Visions and Violence​

Sidney Rigdon, claimant to the prophetic role of Joseph Smith, pondered as he walked along the streets of Nauvoo.

The rightful leader of the Saints was he, Rigdon thought. He had been with Joseph since 1830, hadn't he? Brigham had joined years after he had. He was a polygamist neophyte! Sidney had been with Joseph since the very beginning! He was the first counselor to Joseph, and though they had disagreed near the end, Joseph had never thrown Sidney out from the Church. Sidney should be in charge! But still, Brigham was the most palatable of his rivals, and if Rigdon were willing to let another be leader of the Church, it would be Brigham. Heaven forbid James Strang or even John C Bennett gain a serious following. Strang was an even newer convert with delusions of grandeur, while Bennet was a schemer of the lowest order. While Brigham would turn the Church into his own personal fiefdom, Strang or Bennett would leave it a smoking ruin.

Sidney was lost in his thoughts, so lost that he did not notice half a dozen men cross his path on Nauvoo's streets. The men were rough-looking, three being followers of Brigham, known to Sidney, and the other three seeming to be men from the non-Mormon part of Illinois.

One of the strangers, an unwashed and nearly toothless man, stepped forward and spoke.

"Be ye Ridgon?"

Sidney nodded, and gestured with his walking stick towards the man.

"I am. What of it, sir?"

The other man laughed, and hefted a musket at Sidney. The five other men raised various clubs and hatchets.

"Messer, heh, naw, I mean 'Brother' Bennett, paid a few of us a tidy little sum ta rid him of you. These fellas though, they jest hate ye so much, they were agreed in killin' you. And after that, we'll bring the whole militia down on your ears!" He and the other strange men laughed uproariously, while the men from Brigham's flock merely looked murderously at Sidney.

Sidney paled. Mercenaries! Hired by Bennett to murder him! And now that he thought about it, Bennett wouldn't stop there. He was too ambitious. Brigham would be slain as well. His followers among this band of murderers were misled. Sidney started speaking again.

"Wait! Brigham's men! Bennett is misl-"

The musket-wielding man fired at Rigdon, and cut off his words with a musket ball that clipped the preacher's head and sent him sprawling.

The band of would-be murderers advanced on the fallen Sidney, and he thought more clearly than he had in years[1]. Visions[2], whether vivid nightmares, spiritual sights, or the merely terror of a man about to die flitted through his brain. The glorious Nauvoo Temple burning[3], the Latter-Day Saints being forced from their homes, hundreds dying as they undertook a vast exodus, Rigdon himself being forgotten, and the earthly government sending a mighty army against the Saints. All these images went through Sidney's brain, along with a single, all-encompassing thought: We failed you, Joseph. We have let our differences divide us, and the Church of Christ is in ruin.

As he slipped into unconsciousness from the grazing musket shot, Rigdon saw blurry figures come from out of Nauvoo's houses, and pounce upon the band of killers. Brigham's people. Defending their leader's rival from traitors and brigands. The last thought Sidney had was that if he could do it over again, he would LET Brigham be prophet. He had taught his flock to be better men than Rigdon had. With that, Sidney Rigdon's mind fell into darkness.

______
Yeah, it's narrative. I'm going to have a mix between narrative and "normal" timeline formats. I'm not very good at narratives, but here's what I have. And yes, it's over-dramatic.

[1] Rigdon had suffered brain damage from being dragged along a street back in the Mormons's Missouri days, which may have caused increased aggressiveness and other behavioral problems, ala Phineas Gage. No, I don't believe that a magic bullet could solve brain damage, but perhaps a bullet that hits juuuust the right spot, combined with the terror of a near-death experience, could modify Rigdon's outlook a bit. If I'm wrong, call me out on it, but remember it's just a story.

[2]If you're Mormon, you can think it's true visions given by God, and if you're not, you can conjecture that Rigdon had a bunch of lucky guesses based on prior experiences. Either way, it's a glimpse of OTL.

[3] It actually did burn in 1848, after the Brighamite LDS church had failed to sell it to various buyers. It's suspected that anti-Mormon groups set fire to the temple after the main body of Saints left. Fun fact: In OTL, it's been rebuilt, and is now fully-functioning.

Also, here's a daguerreotype picture of Nauvoo I just found:
Nauvoo%2C_Illinois_daguerreotype_%281846%29.jpg

Treason was the 19th Century's version of obstruction of justice. Its the crime you go to when you can't find any actual crime.

Independence...

I've found a several independent Deseret TLs (which I generally define as any European recognized government with its capital in the Salt Lake valley) and they fall into a couple of cases:

1) No Mexican-American War, US political balance doesn't lead to Texas annexation, and as such Deseret and/or California end up independent (California being OTL + maybe Reno and maybe Baja, Texas east of the Rio Grande and with the Saints in between.

2) Successful Confederates in the Civil War. (especially with European help). Think TL-191 with Colorado and points west taken from the Union after the war in the 1880s.

(I don't count Decades of Darkness where some end up on Vancouver Island...)

In OTL, Brigham Young had such a large percentage of the Saints, I'm not sure that even if Joseph Smith prior to publication of the Expositor had laid his hands on Brigham Young's shoulders and said that Brother Brigham would lead the church after Joseph Smith died (or conversely indicated that he would be next after Hiram), that it would have made that much of a difference after the United States considers all of OTL Utah to be part of it. (And after a successful Mexican American war, what they got OTL is almost certainly the *Minimum* they would want.)

OTOH, with the POD at this point, the Saints could end up migrating just about anywhere (Falklands, Hawaii, Western Australia)

Randy

Zioneer

Banned
Hey guys; an update to my progress on this TL. I'm up to the third "chapter", but I'm a bit insecure on continuing this TL.

A friend of mine who is a lot more knowledgeable than me about the topic (Mormonism) has pointed out that the sources I'm using are very, very, anti-Mormon, and has basically politely demolished my confidence in how much I know about the time period.

Now, I HATE to be proven wrong, and I am very OCD about getting it right. As of now though, I don't know if I continue this TL, for fear of getting so many things wrong.

My question to you all is that should I continue, possibly getting things wrong and unwittingly using biased sources? Or should I stop? Most of the stuff I'm getting wrong is little stuff, by the way, but the little stuff bugs me most of all.

Hey guys; an update to my progress on this TL. I'm up to the third "chapter", but I'm a bit insecure on continuing this TL.

A friend of mine who is a lot more knowledgeable than me about the topic (Mormonism) has pointed out that the sources I'm using are very, very, anti-Mormon, and has basically politely demolished my confidence in how much I know about the time period.

Don't let that deter you from continuing the TL. So what if the sources are anti-Mormon? As long as you know what you are doing, you shall be fine. This TL in particular - it is very promising.

Zioneer

Banned
Don't let that deter you from continuing the TL. So what if the sources are anti-Mormon? As long as you know what you are doing, you shall be fine. This TL in particular - it is very promising.

No, I mean that they're anti-Mormon enough that I don't know the quality of the information I'm using. As in, the sources I'm using, which are neutral-seeming, checked-out-from-school libraries sources, have misinformed me at least once.

But I will continue then, yes. Stay tuned for another update within a few hours.

i agree keep the posts coming

Zioneer

Banned
Ask, and ye shall recieve; this will be the last of the current crop of narrative chapters; it will go to historybook style for a while after this chapter.

Chapter 2: Porter Rockwell

Porter Rockwell, called "The Destroying Angel of Mormondom" was the very picture of a mountain man; bearded, long-haired, and more at home in the wilds of the Montana territory then on the well-kept streets of Nauvoo.

But nonetheless, he was there when Rigdon was shot. The Mormon Mountain Man had been enjoying a quiet meal with the Hunters, a friendly family[1], when the boom of the musket shook the fragile walls of the family's house.

Rockwell, always the quickest to respond to trouble, silently rose from his seat, and grasped his gun, one of the many he owned (for he was a paranoid man), along with a wicked-looking hatchet. Edward Hunter, patriarch of the Hunter family and Presiding Bishop of the Church, gave a surprised yell, and with his sons, grasped various club-like utensils (rolling pins, candlesticks, cast-iron cooking tools, and so forth) rose to confront this disturbance.

The motley band exited their home and came upon the paid-for would-be assassins preparing to finish off the unconscious Sidney Rigdon. The Hunter men hesitated, for they were Brigham Young's followers, and Rigdon had denounced their beloved leader. Should they not leave Rigdon to his just desserts? Should not Rigdon atone with blood for for going against the will of God?

Rockwell, for his part, recognized both the overzealous Brighamites and the non-believer mercenaries, and fell upon them with a terrible, bear-like roar, firing with his gun and swinging his hatchet.

Caught by his sudden attack, the musket-wielding assassin took a mighty blow to the shoulder, and with his strength nearly took the man's arm clean off. It was said later that the man died on the spot.

Bishop Edward Hunter recovered from his hesitance first, and zealously rained mighty blows upon one of the Brighamite traitors with a cast-iron pan. His sons cracked the bones and crushed the knees of the remaining assassins. When their brutal work was finished, a few of the Hunter sons had broken noses, but none of their foes stood. Bishop Hunter held up a hand to cease the beatings.

"Halt! The Lord's vengeance is done here. Let us check upon Brother Rigdon."

Rockwell growled dis-contently at Hunter's respect towards Rigdon, but he and the Bishop's sons obeyed, and sure enough, Sidney Rigdon was stirring. The Hunters moved to help the wounded man up, but he waved them away, standing up and holding a head to the bleeding wound on the side of his head.

'I need to speak with Young. These men were paid by Bennett." Rigdon's words ignored the traitors also lying amongst the unconscious, but the Brighamites got the point. Bishop Hunter led the way, with the still-woozy Rigdon and the Hunter sons burdened with the would-be killers following. Rockwell walked behind them all, with a gun trained on Rigdon in case of trickery.

The men slowly walked through Nauvoo to the house of Brigham Young, with their pace impeded by the fact that much of Nauvoo had heard the initial musket shot, and wanted to know what had happened. With every few houses passed, more of the residents of Nauvoo asked an account of the struggle, until finally the men arrived at the doorstep of Brigham, where Young himself was waiting.

Rigdon and Young, the two bitter rivals for the mantle of Prophet of the Latter-Day Saints, men who had spent days calling the other blasphemers, powermongers, and worse, met each others eyes. Brigham spoke first, in a tone of annoyance.

"Hello, Brother Rigdon. What tidings do you bring to my house in this hour?"

Sidney, having procured a bandage for his head wound, pointed to it.

"Bennett has sent men to slay the both of us. He brings an army to enforce his claim to be Joseph's heir while we are still divided."

Brigham merely rose an eyebrow and gestured the open door of his house.

"Then we have much to discuss. Come in."

_______
So yeah, Porter Rockwell is essentially Mormondom's answer to Chuck Norris. One of the Danites (who I will explain in a later update), and attempted assassin of Governor Lilburn Boggs (a vicious enemy of the Mormons) while being Joseph Smith's personal bodyguard.

Some Rockwell facts (note, all of these are true occurances):

-After attempting to kill Governor Boggs, crashed a dinner party that the Smiths were holding.

- At this party, was the subject of a prophesy by Joseph Smith that is as follows: "I prophesy, in the name of the Lord, that you — Orrin Porter Rockwell — so long as ye shall remain loyal and true to thy faith, need fear no enemy. Cut not thy hair and no bullet or blade can harm thee."

-Was in fact not substantially harmed by bullets or blades in his life, despite a life filled with violence.

-There was a huge, several hundred or even a thousand dollar price on his life, and several dozen hunters would track him down for the reward. Nobody managed to collect the price for his head.

-Pointed out in a later attempt on Bogg's life (that Rockwell had nothing to do with) that if he wanted Boggs dead, the governor would be dead.

-At one point, put in an unheated jail for 9 months and even food that dogs refused to eat.

-Despite a decades long career of being a lawman, died in 1878, 48 years after he joined the LDS Church, of old age. After Brigham Young died, in fact.

[1]Presiding Bishop Hunter was the OTL Presiding Bishop of the Church for almost 30 years.

Last edited:

Zioneer

Banned
Side note, here are pictures of Rockwell and Governor Boggs.

127.gif

Lilburn-Boggs.jpg

See why I called Rockwell the "Mormon Mountain Man"?

Zioneer

Banned
Chapter 3: The Unification of the Church and Preparation for the Battle of Nauvoo

From Latter-Day Saint records, it seems that Rigdon and Brigham spoke long into the night, discussing the differences in creed that the two had[1], the coming threat of more of Bennett's assassins, how a partnership between Rigdon and Brigham would work, and above all, how they should prepare the Church for the coming attack from Bennett's army, both physically and spiritually.

Brigham and Rigdon readied the city of Nauvoo for Bennett's attack, removing dissenters through nonviolent means. Both used their respective talents to ensure that no dissenters could infiltrate Nauvoo and harass the cause of Brigham and the Twelve Apostles. Brigham organized "whittling brigades", groups of about twenty 12-14 year olds. These youngsters would whittle on sticks, seemingly naive of events around them. However, if trouble arrived, (like a prominent dissenter advocating for Bennett, and using violent language for that purpose) the youngsters would whittle in such a way that a warning sound would be made, alerting Church leaders to the disturbance. A few older men were mixed in with the youngsters, to protect them from organized dissenter violence.[2]

Rigdon used his talent for oratory to whip up enthusiasm for the cause of Brigham and the Twelve (those who hadn't gone rogue, at least), and to incite popular wrath against Bennett's followers. He repeated an old sermon used against dissenters back in 1838, quoting the Gospel of Matthew, which said: "If the salt have lost its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." This repeated rhetoric, as well as other fiery sermons, came to be as "the Salt Sermons".[3]

In addition to the whittling brigades and salt sermons, the now legendary Hosea Stout, a commander[4] in the Nauvoo Legion, drilled and trained the pro-Twelve force, creating a force of 500 reasonably trained men. Owing to their religious devotion, the Legion sang and prayed throughout their training sessions, building the Nauvoo Legion into not only a military force, but a spiritual warband with incredibly high morale for such a small force.

Rigdon's former followers were still somewhat mistrusted, so few joined the Nauvoo Legion. However, Brigham created a small scouting force out of the former Rigdonites, under the leadership of the young Captain Lot Smith (no relation to Joseph Smith). This force was compromised of about 50 horsemen, and it's mission was to scout out Bennett's army, and harass it wherever they could. This dangerous, but prestigious appointment also helped to solidify Rigdonite loyalty to Brigham Young.

Finally, an unofficial and secretive vigilante group, called the Sons of Dan (more commonly known as the Danites)[5] formed a small raiding force within Nauvoo, intent in forcing out non-Mormons and dissenters and taking their possessions for the use of the Church as a whole. Both Rigdon and Brigham condemned the Danites, but many church members supported the Danite efforts. Few complained about exiled Gentile riches suddenly arriving in the church's storehouses.

Meanwhile, Bennett's followers and the Illinoisan[6] (pronounced ill-ee-noy-an) militia members surged towards Nauvoo, composed of roughly 700 troops. Most were Illinois veterans of the Black Hawk War a decade ago, and quite a few were involved with the imprisonment of Mormon leaders over the years. Bennett had convinced the "Gentile" militia that once he had demonstrated his claim to leadership by force, he would withdraw the survivng Mormons to Canada, and allow them to do with Nauvoo as they pleased.

Benett's followers included many dissenters from before Joseph's death, like the prosperous Lyman Wight, who had donated a portion of his fortune to buy guns for the mixed force, and been rewarded with the calling of First Counseler by Bennett for his trouble.

On their march to Nauvoo, the so-called "Labanites" (named after Bennett's claim to prophethood, the Sword of Laban), recruited roughly 75 more non-Mormons, and enlisted 25 previously neutral Mormons sympathetic to his claim for leadership, creating a force of 800 troops.

Finally, on July 27th, exactly a month after the Prophet Joseph's murder, and a week after the attempted assassination of Brigham Young and Sidney Rigdon, outside the outskirts of Nauvoo, the battle for ultimate leadership of the Mormon Church began.

_____

[1]Just a note; this is not how the leadership of the Church works. Both the high leadership and the regular membership of the Church are excepted to come to a unanimous conclusion. That's why, if you've been to an LDS ward and see them voting on a person's calling, there's never any votes against the person. Of course, in most cases, the person grows into their calling, so there's no trouble anyway. My take on Sidney and Brigham discussing their differences is more of a "hey, my followers and I have a few objections with some of the things your members do, but we still want to be united with the greater church. Could you help us work through this?"

[2]Whittling brigades actually did exist in Nauvoo around this time in OTL. However, my sources can't agree whether the brigades were composed of teenage boys raising a sort of alarm, or if they were composed of strong/tall men that whittled to intimidate dissenters. I added the "older men acting as protection" reference to appease both ideas. And who says the older men can't be violent Danites?

[3]Also happened, although there was only one Salt Sermon in OTL. I'm making it a collaquism for any incindary sermon by a Mormon leader.

[4]OTL person, an interesting fellow who was a member of the Danites, and who was apparently suspicious enough to be accused of poisoning Samuel Smith, one of Joseph's brothers. Samuel was assumed by some to be the rightful prophet after Joseph's death, but he died after a short illness (all before this TL starts), and never asserted his leadership.

[5]Again, an OTL organization, a sort of religious vigilante gang which threatened, stole from, and in some cases, violently beat dissenters (during Joseph's Smith's presidency of the Church). They're a bit of Mormon history I'm not so uncritical about, so I'll freely admit that yeah, a lot of early Mormons didn't really mind the actions of the Danites. Many prominent members were in fact Danites themselves. I see them as a sort of uber-religious Robin Hood-style group for the Brighamite Church, except pretty violent, and a bit extreme for the high leadership's liking.

[6]Illinois, like Deseret, has the trouble of a name that's difficult to use as a descriptor. I mean, most other states don't have that problem. Virginian works, Kentuckian works, even Missisipi works, (for example), but Illinoisan just doesn't sound quite right. Again, if anyone has a good idea for a name for Deseret that is able to be used as a descriptor (that isn't Utah), feel free to tell me.

As another side note, "Brighamite" is the incorrect term to use, I've been told. It implies that Brigham was supreme leader of his followers, and claimed to be so. He was not, and did not. He was the leader of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles yes, but the Twelve themselves were the leader of the Church, and Brigham was not technically the Prophet yet, and claimed that the Twelve should be over the Church. Also; there were not twelve of the Apostles at this point, but the group began as twelve men, so that is why I'm referring to them as such.

Also, a picture of Hosea Stout:
Hosea_Stout_photograph_%281850s%29.jpg

Next up, in a few hours will be the Battle of Nauvoo!

[1]Just a note; this is not how the leadership of the Church works. Both the high leadership and the regular membership of the Church are excepted to come to a unanimous conclusion. That's why, if you've been to an LDS ward and see them voting on a person's calling, there's never any votes against the person.

Actually, I have seen one such vote. The dissenter had no objection to the Calling per se, but she pointed out (correctly) that the Stake President had inadvertantly Called the Brother in question as "Second Counsellor" when it should have been First Counsellor. The vote was hastily retaken and the usual unanimity restored.