Falklands penal collony

Was this ever a possibiity

I must say I do feel it would be a good location for the jail for those convicted by an International Criminal Court of serious offences

Unlikely. The British had far too much interest in the islands' strategic sheep reserves to send prisoners there.

Actually, it would make a great place for a small amount of political exiles. There could be no way that it could have a large prisoner population due to the size and resources. However, exiling a few prominent Irish Nationalist leaders could work. Or heck, sending Nappy to the Falklands the first time could have prevented some troubles.

Actually, it would make a great place for a small amount of political exiles. There could be no way that it could have a large prisoner population due to the size and resources. However, exiling a few prominent Irish Nationalist leaders could work. Or heck, sending Nappy to the Falklands the first time could have prevented some troubles.

The only thing is, the islands weren't occupied by the British in 1814...

I think under Spain the Malvinas were a penal colony. The British took the islands to help control the Southern Ocean fisheries and whaling industry.

Thande

Donor
Drew in his Fear, Loathing and Gumbo has us use South Georgia as a prison camp for IRA terrorists.

Admiral Brown said:
The only thing is, the islands weren't occupied by the British in 1814...

They weren't occupied by anyone in 1814, seems ideal.