Jewish Salonika

What would a good POD be to create a lasting Jewish state centered around Salonika? I assume since the Jewish population began to decline at the very beginning of the 20th century that the POD would be before 1900.

It would be an interesting buffer state between Greece and Turkey. I bet if the Great Powers are convinced somehow it would happen.

It would be an interesting buffer state between Greece and Turkey. I bet if the Great Powers are convinced somehow it would happen.

The hard part about a Greco-Turkish buffer state is that regardless who settles it, they're screwed.

It would be interesting but wasn't Salonika only 54 percent Jewish. Macedonia was fairly mixed during the early 1900s.

That's still a majority jewish population.

They'd likely out gun the Swiss per capita within a decade of independence.

Still. It's no clear majority. And they would be swamped by Bulgarians, Serbs, and Greeks wanting to divide up Macedonia.

I'm interested. I am doing a Jewish Macedonia in my TL though not an independent one.

You can imagine how the 3rd Reich would respond to a Jewish state conveniently within reach of its war machine come WW2.

You seriously just downed my mojo. That would be a carnage. But it's certainly better than putting it in Palestine.

What would a good POD be to create a lasting Jewish state centered around Salonika? I assume since the Jewish population began to decline at the very beginning of the 20th century that the POD would be before 1900.

Eh, I honestly don't know if a safely existing state would be at all plausible.........this is Greece and Turkey we're talking about here, you know.

OTOH, here's a suggestion nobody's ever brought up before? Why not a Jewish Jutland? :D