Texas stays independent

Texas was once its own country for ten years, could it have stayed its own country? Are there any alternate history stories about this?? :)

Sigh. They would've ended up fostering close diplomatic relations with Britain.

Probably not. IOTL Texas pretended to get closer to the US, and the Anglophobic scare in the States that this sparked off led to Texas's annexation (which was the goal of most Texan politicians since the beginning).

But Texas's cotton industry isn't nearly powerful enough to warrant Britain sacrificing relations with the US and Mexico to support Texas.

Texas was once its own country for ten years, could it have stayed its own country? Are there any alternate history stories about this?? :)

Alternate stories? Well, yeah.

http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell

I haven't read much beyond the "Road Trip" section. ROFL'd at the attemped "robbery" of the Texas truckstop. ;)

GMTA btw, I was considering posting an Independent Texas WI just now.

The biggest problem with it is butterflies: No State of Texas means no Great Compromise. And it also makes Texas a neutral party in the brewing ACW.

Alternate stories? Well, yeah.

http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell

I haven't read much beyond the "Road Trip" section. ROFL'd at the attemped "robbery" of the Texas truckstop. ;)

So do we have to expect this?

disppagexa6.jpg

If so I say good thing Texas went into the union

Texas staying independent would require both that it gets settled by Anglos like in OTL, and that the pro-annexation movement is weaker.

And if it did, Mexico will inevitably want a part 2.

mowque

Banned
Hard to see it. Two powerful nations right next door. Mexico will want it back, and once they get a competent leader they will try (and probably succeed). The other power, the USA, will want it as well AND a large part of the population wants to join the USA.

Texas begs pathetically to be allowed into the United States for years and is eventually taken over by Mexico.

It depends on how strong the pro-annexation movement is. If it's at least as strong as in OTL, the USA will get it. Otherwise, Mexico will go for Texan War 2: Electric Boogaloo.

At the time of its independence, (1836) Texas President Sam Houston was a close friend and a disciple of U.S. President Andrew Jackson. In fact, Jackson was a trump card for Texas, stationing U.S. troops on the Texas- Louisiana border in case the Mexican army chased the Texas army across the border.

Given a choice between the U.S. and Mexico, Texas would have gone to the U.S.

This may sound crazy, but Texas would go into the British orbit because during that time in one way or another; because most of the world was within the British Orbit. British business and industrialization was constantly searching for new raw materials markets, and controlled the majority of seabourne trade.

The big question would be how Mexico and the US relates to Texas. If the Texan government truly wants to keep their independence, they have to avoid war with both (unless Mexico really does totally collapse). Britain is the only one that could stand up to the US.