somewhat more French-speaking Canada

yofie

Banned
If Canada had, say, 40% of the population speak French (vs. about 25% OTL), how would that change the course of Canadian history in general? Of Quebec history? One thing that I would imagine is that Canada would be a republic by now, but I'm not sure how it would affect the sovereignty referendums and all that, nor for that matter events in the 19th century. This is assuming that Canada hasn't broken up by now.

Tellus

Banned
It depends on geographical dispositions of this new population to an extent. The province which had the best chance of developing a strong french population in OTL but didnt is probably Manitoba, which had many French-speaking métis. You can have a strong French minority there easily. Also, if you lessen a bit the extent of the Acadian deportation, you end up with substantially French-er Maritimes. That kind of disposition would likely prevent breakups basic of ethno-linguistic reasons, whereas a stronger territorially continuous bloc of relatively homogeneous French-speakers logically encourages it.

French Quebec doesn't really believe in the idea of a bilingual federation because French was essentially stamped out of the rest of the country through closure of French schools and Anglicization of French communities, etc. This is largely what created what we call the "Two solitudes". Logically, changing that is a way to have a more bilingual Canada.

One step towards a more united truly bilingual Canada would be to have all the provinces agree to make both languages part of their core education curriculum - or to constitutionally make that an obligation from the start. All this takes quite a bit of goodwill and long-term vision I suppose, but it gives the best ending as far I'm concerned. A higher percentage of English Canadians who speak French well and like the language would probably help solidify the country quite a bit.

The other way is simple demographics. Keep the languages largely separate and at odds, but have more French kids and less English immigrants. In this scenario, though, you maintain a French majority for several more decades. That likely means that London would delay both self-rule and Dominion status for Canada, and make at least another 1838-style revolt a possibility. That scenario also increase the odds of eventual tensions and referendums.

So I guess my point is: How you get your 40% French Canada matters alot in determining how this would play out.

yofie

Banned
One step towards a more united truly bilingual Canada would be to have all the provinces agree to make both languages part of their core education curriculum - or to constitutionally make that an obligation from the start. All this takes quite a bit of goodwill and long-term vision I suppose, but it gives the best ending as far I'm concerned. A higher percentage of English Canadians who speak French well and like the language would probably help solidify the country quite a bit.

The other way is simple demographics. Keep the languages largely separate and at odds, but have more French kids and less English immigrants. In this scenario, though, you maintain a French majority for several more decades. That likely means that London would delay both self-rule and Dominion status for Canada, and make at least another 1838-style revolt a possibility. That scenario also increase the odds of eventual tensions and referendums.

So I guess my point is: How you get your 40% French Canada matters alot in determining how this would play out.

I was thinking of slightly increasing French immigration to Quebec in the 17th-18th century (before 1759) and/or the 19th century (the latter not just in Quebec), along with perhaps lessening the Acadian expulsion a bit.

Solve the Manitoba Schools Question with a more favorable outcome for the French-Canadians, and prevent the execution of Louis Riel. That should make it easier for French to grow and sustain itself in Western Canada, especially in Manitoba.

This would probably also butterfly away the Quebec independence movement, as French-Canadians would now be represented all over Canada, not just predominantly in Quebec.