Anglo-American War of 1871

Up to, during, and following the American Civil War, the United States and Britain had a number of disputes which provides ill will between the two nations. First there was an unresolved border dispute between the two nations which almost resulted in a war in 1859. Then there was the Fenian Raids which caused ill will towards the United States from the British side, since it was believed that the USA clandestinely supported the Fenian effort. Then there was perception in the United States that the British had aided the Confederacy and done damage to the USA, which caused Yankee ill will toward the British. And in a last note which I cannot find on Wikipedia but only some info on here, was an expatriation dispute between the United States and Britain over the concept of citizenship. Basically, the Americans believed that people naturalized in the USA were American citizens, while the British felt otherwise. So when Irish-American Fenians, who were naturalized in the USA, were caught in Britain causing a ruckus and not extradited to be tried in the USA, it caused quite a stir in the American public. Now, reading the last link, you will soon realize that the issue was dropped when the British agreed to the American definition of naturalized citizenship in a treaty that followed the Expatriation Act of 1868. In fact, almost all of these disputes were solved in the Treaty of Washington(1871), which was drafted basically to quell all the disputes between the British and the Americans before they got out of hand. However, this being alternate history, what if the leadership of both the United States and Britain were not so inclined to be diplomatic about these affairs? Any of these issues taken alone would not result in war, I agree. However, us being historians, we need to look at the era as a whole, and when we combine each dispute, the situation looks far more precarious than before. So my question is, what if rather than a treaty being drafted in 1871, a war erupted?

It's not hard to see how the series of events could lead to a war. Lets start with the Fenian Raids being worse, with far more accusations on the British side of American involvement. Naturalized Irish-American Fenians are caught in Britain, and Americans furious about the Alabama affair, demand they be returned to the United States and Britain recognize American standards of citizenship as per the Expatriation Act of 1868. The British public being more antagonized by the Fenian affair, refuses. Suddenly, the border dispute and so called "Pig War" of 1859 are brought up by antagonistic politicians on both sides, whom of course believe that their side should have the border dispute settled in their favor. At this point, we have what is really needed; willingness on both sides for a war. The American leadership hoping to unify their nation once again against a European enemy and perhaps gain parts of Canada, and the British, hoping to quash an upstart rival, finally go to war. Now, as I said before, it will probably require alternate leadership on at least one side of the Atlantic, but that can be attributed to butterflies easily enough. My question is what would such a war look like? While the title says 1871, it really could be anywhen from 1866 til 1871, however. And I understand that this makes quite a difference; on the one hand the USA may or may not have demobilized since the Civil War, but on the other hand, the USA may or may not have recovered from the horrors and damage that were the Civil War. As to the British, the war may be going on during the Franco-Prussian War, which could cause pain for the British if butterflies do their magic and suddenly the British realize they want to intervene in European affairs. But that said, Alternate History is an inexact science, so we need to make the best of what we can work with.

As a final note, I feel that this threat will inevitably bring up the classic 'America vs. British' topics-that is, the Royal Navy mops the seas, and British soldiers march to Washington in an anglo-wank vs. the vast legions of American soldiers rise to defend their glorious homeland and the USA trades Canada for peace. As many other arguments, I'm sure that the truth lies somewhere in between, so I ask you all to be courteous and cite your sources when possible.

As a final note, I feel that this threat will inevitably bring up the classic 'America vs. British' topics-that is, the Royal Navy mops the seas, and British soldiers march to Washington in an anglo-wank vs. the vast legions of American soldiers rise to defend their glorious homeland and the USA trades Canada for peace. As many other arguments, I'm sure that the truth lies somewhere in between, so I ask you all to be courteous and cite your sources when possible.
'the Royal Navy mops the seas' is kinda hard to dispute... at this time, the RN simply outweighed the USN at sea. The land combat isn't so one-sided, but in the end, it's irrelevant; if the RN wins at sea, the USA will eventually lose on land, even if they win battles at first...

'the Royal Navy mops the seas' is kinda hard to dispute... at this time, the RN simply outweighed the USN at sea. The land combat isn't so one-sided, but in the end, it's irrelevant; if the RN wins at sea, the USA will eventually lose on land, even if they win battles at first...

I don't think the land battle is irrelevant; if the USA controls all of Canada, and if Britain wants it back, she will either need to stage a bloody invasion, or sit down at the negotiating table. The Royal Navy is powerful, but can only do so much to influence the events of the land campaigns. And I don't think this would be one of those bloody total war fight to the death ordeals, if the USA does indeed gain Canada, then I think the war will end in negotiations rather than massive British invasion. I also have to admit, I always do assume that the USA will eventually gain control of Canada in a land war. If they don't do it fast, however, they will need to face British reinforcements, but still, Canada as a whole is a difficult place to defend all of.

And if the British don't negotiate and the war drags on, the USA has the capability, after 1871 certainly, to build more and more ships of better and better quality, and man them with lots of people (leavened by a fair-sized prior merchant marine) who will shake down as sailors fairly quickly. At first it would be pretty desperate but the British can't bring their entire naval force to bear on North America without abandoning critical interests everywhere; gradually the Americans would get better at sea and soon overwhelming quantity in comparable quality would tip the balance. Then if the British still aren't suing for peace the Britwank becomes an Ameriwank as US fleet units set out to disrupt the whole British Empire on the high seas.

I honestly think the British were aware of this possibility and this is one reason they played increasingly nice with increasingly arrogant Yankees in the latter part of the 19th century and of course the whole 20th. By not provoking us we stayed focused on internal development, and even ceded much of our sea trade to British carriers, and Britain profited from American trade instead of getting steamrollered.

Now, reading the last link, you will soon realize that the issue was dropped when the British agreed to the American definition of naturalized citizenship in a treaty that followed the Expatriation Act of 1868.

The Expatriation act is a US Act it had no relevance what so ever to Great Britain. Britain continued to consider people that were born British Citizens remain British Citizens until death, the fact that these people may or may not want to be seen as, for example US Citzens or indeed that the US might wish to claim them as its citizens was of indifference to Great Britain. The situation today is more or less, but not quite, the same.

- Admiral Sir David Milne wrote to a correspondent in 1817.

Please clarify are you sure that you are talking about David Milne in 1817 in which case why is it relevant? It being 54 years prior to 1871. Did you perhaps mean Alexander Milne in 1871? If so I would be bloody amazed he would make such a statement when less than ten years before he was comfortable that the local RN station could obliterate the USN.

This is a very bad time for Britain to go to war with the United States. Because of the recent Civil War the US has a very large pool of veterans to call upon, their officer corps is first rate, their weapons industry is top notch and the Navy has recently begun producing ocean capable ironclads. Grant may not have been a great peacetime President, but he knew how to fight a war. The US was or could easily be self sufficient in nearly every important material required for war time use.

The US merchant marine has yet to recover from the ravages of the Civil War and so is not an important part of the economy. On the other hand the British merchant marine is very vulnerable to commerce raiders. Also, it is not just a given that the RN will be able to have their way in American waters since some of the newer late Civil War era monitors were quiet powerful in coastal waters.

I'm not trying to contradict the OP, but defending Canada would be extremely difficult even if the RN could force their way up the St. Lawrence. On lucky commerce raider could bring an early end to the Great Eastern and put paid to one of Britain's most important means of reinforcing Canada.

In our TL Britain and the US, following the War of 1812, never went to war with the US despite sixty years of mutual provocations because neither side was confident enough on their ability to win. This is especially true concerning Britain's view of the situation regarding post-Civil War America. Canada as hostage and ever more lucrative trade ties worked to make an Anglo-American War ever more unlikely and far more risky.

To answer the original post an Anglo-American War would be costly for both sides, but the US was in a far better position at that time to take the risk.

Benjamin

Benjamin

Wow there is a lot of threads about USA conquering Canada.

I've asked Santa for that for like ever, but alas the Jolly Old Elf fears retaliation as his Fortress of Jollitude is within missile range of Canada's anti-flying reindeer defense net.

But seriously the annexation of Canada was/is a rather strong geopolitical meme within the U.S. Even more than Cuba it is America's 'fish that got away.'

Benjamin

"We cannot keep Canada if the Americans declare war against us again,"

- Admiral Sir David Milne wrote to a correspondent in 1817.

That's a British person, No, an Admiral, admitting that.

Yes, and the British Lieutenant-General (I don't remember his name) in command of all NATO troops in central Germany wrote a book in 1983 called "World War III" about a Russian invasion of western Europe (for the record: NATO loses, if you ignore the deus ex machina KGB coup d'etat which forces the end of the war). In the epilogue, he wrote that the two Germanys could never be reunited peacefully and were destined for all time to be two separate nations.

You could be right, but people "in the know" aren't always right.

benjamin,

This is a very bad time for Britain to go to war with the United States.

No it isn't.

Because of the recent Civil War the US has a very large pool of veterans to call upon,

They have a lot of people who were last in Uniform six year's ago and used to desert in droves.

their officer corps is first rate,

Their professional officer corps is well trained and much of it has some real experience but the volunteers from the ACW were a pretty poor bunch. Most of them couldn't even keep their men's feet dry!

their weapons industry is top notch

In what way? The main rifle-musket is almost as good as a first class Enfield and can be produced in fair numbers but only with the help of private gunsmiths. The repeaters are delicate and production numbers are very low. The cannon are shite and obsolete.

and the Navy has recently begun producing ocean capable ironclads.

A handful, how many? How many compared to the oean of ironclads the RN will send against them?

Grant may not have been a great peacetime President, but he knew how to fight a war.

As a General he knew howto fight a war but he might have been a shite wartime President, who knows?
The US was or could easily be self sufficient in nearly every important material required for war time use.

To use a technical term to refute this statement ... my arse! There are statistical abstracts for the US in the 1870s on line and they do not support your claims.

The US merchant marine has yet to recover from the ravages of the Civil War and so is not an important part of the economy.

Well it won't be if it is blockaded
On the other hand the British merchant marine is very vulnerable to commerce raiders.

What commerce raiders? How will they evade the blockade and the hunters?

Also, it is not just a given that the RN will be able to have their way in American waters since some of the newer late Civil War era monitors were quiet powerful in coastal waters.

In 1871 what US monitor has a hope against an RN ironclad? The British spent 10 years working out what makes an ironclad good and they were at the end of that journey in 1871 with HMS Devastation. Sending Devastation against monitors is like using Maxim guns against natives, it is horribly one sided.

I'm not trying to contradict the OP, but defending Canada would be extremely difficult even if the RN could force their way up the St. Lawrence.

Why couldn't they get up the St. Lawrence? What would stop them

On lucky commerce raider could bring an early end to the Great Eastern and put paid to one of Britain's most important means of reinforcing Canada.

The Great Eastern can do 14 knts sustained more than half the USN can't catch her.

The Great Eastern is one gigantic ship. The British have at least 20 Atlantic mail liners they can call on as troopers and probably double that again on other routes. They did not need the Great Easter to reinforce BNA for the Trent Affair did they.

The Expatriation act is a US Act it had no relevance what so ever to Great Britain. Britain continued to consider people that were born British Citizens remain British Citizens until death, the fact that these people may or may not want to be seen as, for example US Citzens or indeed that the US might wish to claim them as its citizens was of indifference to Great Britain. The situation today is more or less, but not quite, the same.

Yes and no. The act itself didn't make a difference, but Britain signed a treaty with the US on the issue following the Expatriation Act.

Wow there is a lot of threads about USA conquering Canada.

The only get to annex Canada if America wins.

This is a very bad time for Britain to go to war with the United States. Because of the recent Civil War the US has a very large pool of veterans to call upon, their officer corps is first rate, their weapons industry is top notch and the Navy has recently begun producing ocean capable ironclads. Grant may not have been a great peacetime President, but he knew how to fight a war. The US was or could easily be self sufficient in nearly every important material required for war time use.

The US merchant marine has yet to recover from the ravages of the Civil War and so is not an important part of the economy. On the other hand the British merchant marine is very vulnerable to commerce raiders. Also, it is not just a given that the RN will be able to have their way in American waters since some of the newer late Civil War era monitors were quiet powerful in coastal waters.

I'm not trying to contradict the OP, but defending Canada would be extremely difficult even if the RN could force their way up the St. Lawrence. On lucky commerce raider could bring an early end to the Great Eastern and put paid to one of Britain's most important means of reinforcing Canada.

In our TL Britain and the US, following the War of 1812, never went to war with the US despite sixty years of mutual provocations because neither side was confident enough on their ability to win. This is especially true concerning Britain's view of the situation regarding post-Civil War America. Canada as hostage and ever more lucrative trade ties worked to make an Anglo-American War ever more unlikely and far more risky.

To answer the original post an Anglo-American War would be costly for both sides, but the US was in a far better position at that time to take the risk.

Benjamin

Benjamin

Could you clarify the bolded part? I'm not sure I understand, your saying it would be tough for the British to resupply Canada?

67th Tigers

Banned
And if the British don't negotiate and the war drags on, the USA has the capability, after 1871 certainly, to build more and more ships of better and better quality,

No they don't.

The US has no iron shipbuilding in 1871 at all.

The RN have already laid down this beast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1875)

and man them with lots of people (leavened by a fair-sized prior merchant marine) who will shake down as sailors fairly quickly.

The US mechant marine still hasn't recovered from the civil war (nor has the US economy. The loyal states recover their 1860 levels of economic activity in 1873, the southern states don't for the best part of a century). In 1861 the US merchant marine had 5 millions tons of shipping. In 1871 it's 3.2 million, much of which is on the rivers. In 1861 5/6ths of American exports were carried on US ships. In 1871 it's a mere 1/3rd.

At first it would be pretty desperate but the British can't bring their entire naval force to bear on North America without abandoning critical interests everywhere;

Nor would they have to. The RN has 50 ironclads in Commission, Reserve, or so far advanced they could be rushed into war service. The US have four usable ironclads (the old coastal monitors Mahopac and Ajax, and the larger Terror and Amphitrite). Miantonomoh, Canonicus and Saugus are usable given a few months work. Monadnock and Camanche are in reserve at San Francisco, and will take months to make fightable. 6 of the remaining Passiac class and 2 Canonicus class were usable given major overhauls (i.e. a year).

gradually the Americans would get better at sea and soon overwhelming quantity in comparable quality would tip the balance. Then if the British still aren't suing for peace the Britwank becomes an Ameriwank as US fleet units set out to disrupt the whole British Empire on the high seas.

Not really. It takes YEARS to build a decent warship, and more years for the inexperienced and technologically backwards US. The UK starts with an overwhelming numerical and quantitative advantage and far more building capacity.

and even ceded much of our sea trade to British carriers,

No, economics saw to that.

and Britain profited from American trade instead of getting steamrollered.

?

67th Tigers

Banned
This is a very bad time for Britain to go to war with the United States. Because of the recent Civil War the US has a very large pool of veterans to call upon,

and military training fades. It is usually completely gone after 5 years.

their officer corps is first rate,

Really?

their weapons industry is top notch

Care to point to the steel breechloading rifled artillery the US is producing? The cartridge rifles?

and the Navy has recently begun producing ocean capable ironclads.

Name one.

Grant may not have been a great peacetime President, but he knew how to fight a war. The US was or could easily be self sufficient in nearly every important material required for war time use.

Except gunpowder.

and Bessimer steel.

The US of 1870 was still a net importer (exported goods to the value of 6.8% of GNP and imported goods to the value of 7.0% GNP, with the principle export balancing the balance of trade being cotton).

No Monitor is worth the slightest damn against any ironclad.

The US had an okay force of wooden ships, 5 1st class frigates (4x Franklins and 1x Colorado), 3 2nd class frigates (2 Floridas and Guerriere), and 30 steam sloops and gunboats (including those that were near useless in 1871 and those building of an advanced enough state to use).

Who do they coal?

The Great Eastern can outrun any US warship afloat in 1871 (especially since the Floridas are being refitted). More to the point, she is not used to carry passengers in 1871, but is rather been refitted as a cable laying ship.

Laurentia

Banned
Please clarify are you sure that you are talking about David Milne in 1817 in which case why is it relevant? It being 54 years prior to 1871. Did you perhaps mean Alexander Milne in 1871? If so I would be bloody amazed he would make such a statement when less than ten years before he was comfortable that the local RN station could obliterate the USN.

The America of 1871 is 10x Stronger than that of 1812. America won the Revolutionary War and War of 1812... When they're even 5x Stronger, why can't they win this?

The America of 1871 is 10x Stronger than that of 1812. America won the Revolutionary War and War of 1812... When they're even 5x Stronger, why can't they win this?

because for the most part, things are still in britains favor. give it a couple decades for the US to catch up and for britain to slow down.

One crucial difference between the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 is that Britain considered both side-shows to the main war (India and against Napoleon, respectively) and committed a very small fraction of its resources and manpower against the US. In this hypothetical war, this is not the case.

67th Tigers

Banned

It is David Milne, who commanded the NA station at the time.

Note the comma on the end, it's a partial quote, taken out of context by Toll in his "Six Frigates". Placing it in the original context it has a very different meaning:

"London, 29th January, 1817.-
My dear Sir, . . . I am still without my orders to proceed to my station, and Ministry are so much alarmed that they are reducing the expence of the Navy as much as possible. All the frigates are to be taken from the Newfoundland station, and some of the ships from me, and the vessels on the lakes of Canada are to be paid off and only a very few men left to take charge of them. I told Lord Melville I hoped he would go a step further and abandon them altogether; it is such an enormous expence to this country; and we cannot keep Canada if the Americans declare war against us. I believe Ministry now view it in this light. I think our West India possessions are in much more danger from what is going on in the Spanish Colonies, and the assistance the Americans are giving the insurgents; and should they get possession of Cuba, which is certainly what they are looking to, our colonies would be in more danger than from our abandoning Canada; and while we keep possession of Nova Scotia, Canada would be of very little use to them. You will see by the papers the outrage committed yesterday on the Prince Regent. Two balls were certainly fired from an air gun. The glass being very thick they made two holes and drove the small splinters in, but the balls had dropped outside from want of force in the gun. If only one ball had been fired it might have been fatal. . . . I cannot write . . . to-morrow or the day after as I accompany Lord Exmouth to Ironmongers' Hall exactly at three o'clock to get our freedom and afterwards with the officers of the Company to the Mansion House to receive our swords from the Lord Mayor, and then back again to Ironmongers' Hall to dinner at 5. .. . DAVID MILNE.

If you read his letters (The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 10, No. 4 (Oct., 1930), pp. 279-301) then it's clear he regards Canada as defensible, but not worth the money it takes to defend it. He believed in abandoning Canada in a future war (whilst keeping the defensible and strategic Nova Scotia etc.) and using the resources against US cities.