The Balkan Aversion

The Balkan Aversion

hitlerthirdreich-swastika.jpg

Part 1 and 2.

Oct 27: Ribbentrop: Mein Fuhrer word from our military attaché in Rome is that it is now practically certain that Mussolini will attack Greece early tomorrow morning.

An agitated Hitler turns to Ribentropp.

Hitler: The Italians will never get anywhere in the autumn rains and winter snows.
Besides consequences of war in the Balkans are quite unpredictable.

Ribbentrop: Mein Fuhrer you must do all you can to hold up this crazy scheme of the Duce’s.

Hitler: We shall head to Italy at once.

After this short meeting in which Hitler’s anger increases at the prospect of the Italian move, he criticises not only the plan of attack but the Italians and Mussolini himself the meeting is ended.
Ribbentrop immediately put his staff to work preparing a message for Rome that criticised the intended attack in strong language.
Within an hour the message was brought before the Fuhrer to sign.
The Fuhrer looked at the message before him in silence.
To Ribbentrop this pause seems like an age before the Fuhrer placed his signature on the page.
Ribbentrop rushed to have the message sent to the Duce.

AAED001891.jpg

In Rome the message arrives on the desk of a grim faced Mussolini.

Ciano: Hitler does not wish us to attack Greece.
He has advised an immediate delay of the attack until he can meet with you personally tomorrow.

Mussolini: Send a message to the Badagolio to delay the attack.

Ciano: But Il Duce you said to me just the other day that Hitler always faces you with a fait accompli when he moves against another country and you were going to do the same to him this time.

Mussolini looks slightly surprised to hear Ciano quote his own words back to him.

Mussolini: We will delay the attack to hear what Hitler has to say.
Do not worry Ciano the equilibrium will soon be restored.

28 Oct: Morning at 10am as the Amerika pulls into Bologna the Fuhrer receives pleasing news.
A member of German liaison staff brings word that the Duce has delayed the invasion of Greece.

Hitler: Great news we can not let Italian duplicity stand in the way of the onward march of Germany.
I know why the Duce is attempting this, it is revenge for Norway and France.
However he shall be brought back from such crazy ideas.

Hitler went on in an elated bout of excitement that -

Hitler: We must bare in mind that every Italian is a potential traitor or a spy.

His excitement calmed as he sat in his chair and began to consider things in a calmer manner.

Hitler: Maybe im being unfair to our Italian allies.
The Duce has mealy done this to counter our growing economic power in the Balkans.
Im greatly disturbed by this ridiculous Italian invasion idea.

It could if I allow the Italians to go ahead have grave consequences.
The English would welcome an opportunity to set up an airbase in the Balkans.

0.jpg

An hour later the Amerika pulled into Florence.
A stern faced Mussolini came to greet the Fuhrer.
Hitler smiled and thanked the Duce in a most happy manner for the urgent opportunity to see his great ally.
Mussolini was aloof and much less friendly than usual but smiled back.
However after an ecstatic greeting by the crowds outside the Palazzo Pitti where the talks would take place and requests by the crowd for the two leaders to appear and re-appear on the balcony Mussolini became his usual much more jovial self.

Soon the talks began.

Mussolini: Perhaps we should get down to the most important issue first before you tell me of your trip, the issue of Greece.

Hitler: I understand Italian concerns with our recent moves into Romania Il Duce, but I can assure you we have no claim in Italian Petroleum interests there, but only warding off Soviet forces to the East who wish to seize such resources.

Mussolini: We in Italy see the Balkans as very much our zone of influence.

Hitler: We too understand this and thus we wish to see the Eastern end of the Balkans protected from any Soviet invasion.
But I must advise against an attack on Greece or Yugoslavia.
I also wished to discuss with you a new direction for our co-operation.

Mussolini: Ohh tell me more.

Hitler sits and thinks of ways in which to placate Mussolini if he calls off his proposed Balkan invasions.

Hitler: I see the Island of Malta as a serious problem to us both in our future dealings with the English and that it rightly should be part of Italy.
Now I understand your forces are engaged in Libya and Egypt so we would be willing to offer a Panzer division and what ever air units you consider necessary in being needed to capture Malta.

Mussolini: If we choose to change our attack from Greece we could manage to take Malta alone.
In fact we could take both without cancelling the attack on Greece.

Hitler: Even if the might of Italy can manage such a feet I think it is important we begin to work together on these issues.
After my recent trip to see Franco and Petain I was not assured we could gain allies of any note from that direction and thus we may have to ensure the Balkans brings forth some minor allies to join our banner.

Mussolini: Ahh as I said Petain and the French are not to be trusted and are no friends of the Axis.

Hitler pauses for a moment thinking over his disappointing talks with Petain and Lavel and the even more torturous one with Franco and his disappointment at not gaining new allies.
He now decides to offer Mussolini some thing more solid to bring him round to his way of thinking.
Hitler: You may be right my friend hence the reason ive rushed to see you today.
I wished to make you a secret guarantee today that on the end of fighting with the English, Italy shall gain possession of Nice, Savoy, Tunisia, Corsica and Djibouti.

It is now Mussolini who thinks hard.
He remembers his initial request for these areas in the summer from the armistice proposals that he so quickly withdrew through fear of being thought to be reaching for the scraps from Germanys table.
He thinks how he so wanted to send another request to get what he wanted but feared looking the fool were he to ask for a second time.
Thus he had let them slip from his grasp but now the gods had presented him with another chance.
It was as if fate was on his side.
He began his response.

Mussolini: I now understand and appreciate your visit so much more, you have come to seek Italy’s co-operation in our future endeavours.
I will cancel our intended plans for Greece and any we may have had for Yugoslavia and consider your generous but militarily unneeded offer of troops.

Hitler: A most wise decision.
I can see within a year Italy shall have carved out a large Empire in North Africa and will have turned the Mediterranean into an Italian lake.

After much further talk on more minor issues and further details of Hitler’s talks with the Spanish and the French the meeting was closed.
Mussolini leaves in an elated mood proud in his mind of having gained a great diplomatic victory through the land he has gained without a shot being fired.
A military and strategic genius he thinks to himself.
Hitler leaves in a much more sombre mood knowing if loose Italian lips from Mussolini’s entourage like Ciano open their mouths on the deal to foreign ears his good relations with France and even the glimmer of an alliance with them would be over for good.
But at the back of his mind he knows he has averted any serious future problems in the Balkans.

20060130081513Benito_Mussolini_and_.jpg

Part 3 and 4.

benito-mussolini.jpg

1 Nov: November in Rome

Mussolini arrives back in Rome in high spirits knowing he had just half built the New Italian Empire without a shot being fired.
As long as he now defeats the English of course.

2 Nov: Mussolini is made aware that it looks like Germans will be sending Luftflotte 2 and a single Panzer division to assist in the attack on Malta.
What the Germans do not know is that Mussolini intends to use only Italian troops and equipment for the sea born part of the invasion.

Il Duce asks Marshal Badoglio to start drawing up plans for the Invasion of Malta.

His first orders were to have all the forces arrayed in Albania and Italy and planned for use against Greece and Yugoslavia brought back to Italy.

3 Nov: A lot of Italian airpower is ordered to Sicily.

On the Naval front plans begin to be made to transfer the fleet at Taranto and a number of other vessels to more southerly ports and ports best suited for the proposed attack on Malta.

4 Nov: Il Duce again asks for General Graziani to begin the push to Alexandria.
But still the General refuses to do so.
Graziani is still demanding more tanks, transport and supplies.
Something Mussolini is now in a much better position to give him since the cancellation of an action in the Balkans.
Aside from is growing impatience with Graziani, Mussolini now confidently awaits the plans for the invasion of Malta.

rodolfo_graziani-tm.jpg

President Roosevelt wins a third term. The British see the event as promising of more help from the US.

5 Nov: The HMS Jervis Bay, a merchant cruiser, is sunk on convoy duty, but much of the convoy escapes. The loss becomes a media event.

7 Nov: It becomes clear that Ireland will refuse to allow the United Kingdom to use its ports as naval bases.

9 Nov: Former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain dies.

11 Nov: The Regia Marina receives orders to moves its ships to Messina, Reggio Calabria, Augusta and Cagliari.
But before the orders are carried through disaster strikes.
British naval forces launch attack against Italian navy at Taranto. Swordfish bombers from HMS Illustrious damage three battleships, two cruisers and multiple auxiliary craft.

dhm2174.jpg

The Duce is furious and berates his naval chiefs for as he states “keeping all their eggs in one basket”.

Admiral Campioni blamed General Pricolo and the lack of air cover provided for his fleet.

The Italian Fleet has suffered badly in the attack repairs to the Littorio and Caio Duilio are expected to take about six months, but the Conte di Cavour requires extensive salvage work and her repairs are expected to take well over a year to complete.

Nov 11: Hitler has brought together his military elite for a conference.

Hitler: I have promised Signor Mussolini that we will send some forces to assist him in the Mediterranean.
Our objectives are simple to assist Marshal Graziani in his invasion of Egypt and to assist in an air and seaborne invasion of Malta.
General Thoma here has been on a brief inspection of the Italian forces in Libya and tells me they have a serious shortage of decent armour.
We will rectify this be sending you General Model and your 3rd Panzer Division to Naples with haste for despatch to Libya.

Model: Yes Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: You Rommel will take your 7th Panzer along with its swimming Panzers we adapted for Operation Sealion and position yourself for the invasion of Malta.
You will also assist in training Italian units for this purpose.

Rommel: Yes Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: You can now see why I had you two gentlemen flown here with such haste.
Brauchitsch see to it that these Gentlemen receive full assistance from the Army.

Brauchitsch: Of Course Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: Goring you will despatch Luftflotte 2 and what other air forces from your Luftwaffe you deem necessary to assist in the invasion of Malta and Egypt.
You will also provide air cover for the crossing of our forces into Libya and cover their continued supply.
I also want you to provide a Flieger Division for the invasion of Malta.

Goring: Yes Mein Fuhrer.

Thoma: Sorry to interrupt Mein Fuhrer but will one Panzer division be enough to give Graziani victory in Egypt?

Hitler: I’m aware of the capabilities of the forces despatched General and if one Panzer Division can not tip the balance then I was hoping to conduct only a holding operation in Libya instead.
However we will have the option of despatching the 7th Panzer to Libya once the Malta Operation is finished.

Thoma: That still may be too little Mein Fuhrer.
The Italian forces I have witnessed are quite inadequate not just in vital terms of modern armour but much of their other equipment is not up to the standards needed to defeat the English.
Not to even mention their very poor logistical support.

Goring: Nonsense Thoma my Luftwaffe will see to it that the British are fully cut off from their supplies and driven from the desert.

Thoma: Whilst I share in the Marshals confidence I still think we could do with at least one more armoured formation.

Hitler: This will have to suffice for now General as I have other plans for our remaining forces.
Once Malta is secure I may well make the Flieger Division available for the North African theatre to add an extra dimension to operations there.

Goring: That should grant you your victory General.

250px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1972-083-25,_Wilhelm_Ritter_von_Thoma.jpg

Nov 12: Rome

Mussolini: Admiral have you ordered the transfer of naval forces from Taranto to Messina, Reggio Calabria, Augusta and Cagliari yet?

Campioni: It would be best if sent them to Naples now were we have superior air cover and anti-aircraft defences to prevent anymore disaster.
We will despatch them to Messina, Reggio Calabria, Augusta and Cagliari nearer the time of the invasion of Malta.

Mussolini: Very well Admiral.
They can be no more disaster like yesterday.
You are dismissed Admiral.

Ciano: The Germans have informed us they are sending two not one armoured division to us and a division of paratroopers.

Mussolini: Get Badoglio and Pricolo (Chief of the air staff) in here.
Ciano leaves to fetch Badoglio and Pricolo.

ciano242eb6_30a.jpg

Mussolini: Sit down.
I take it you have heard the news of what the Germans are sending us.

Badoglio: Yes Il Duce their assistance will be very useful to us.

Mussolini: No it will not.

Badoglio: Excuse me sir?

Mussolini: We must make sure we only use Italian forces where possible in both Egypt and Malta.

Pricolo: Il Duce we will not be able to complete our aerial invasion without German help.

Mussolini: Why not?

Pricolo: We do not have the airborne troops available for such an operation and we lack the aerial power needed for such a task.

Mussolini: Why do we not have airborne troops ready Pricolo?

Pricolo: We have two battalions in Libya but I fear that is far from enough.

Mussolini: General you shall bring both to Naples for the preparation for the invasion of Malta.
We will supply all you need to bring your force up to division size and be battle ready.

Pricolo: But what off air power Il Duce?

Mussolini: General are you suggesting the Italian air force is not up to the job of providing cover and support for the invasion of Malta?

Pricolo: No Il Duce but German air power could be a real assistance against the better English fighters and against their shipping.
Plus their ground attack capabilities are very good.

Mussolini: You will do as best you can with the forces we have available General.
Now you Badoglio! have you any complaints for me today?

Badolglio: Il Duce the Germans armour once landed could be very useful to us.

Mussolini: We have M13 tank now being produced which should be adequate for your needs General.

Ciano: The Germans have informed us they have swimming tanks which would help us greatly in the landings Il Duce.

Mussolini: They may well be very useful I will see if we can purchase them from the Germans for our use within your armoured divisions General.

Badoglio: Thank you Il Duce they will be most useful.
I would also like to see if we can get some of the Mk 4 Germans tanks.

Mussolini: I shall enquire further about that.

Pricolo: Il Duce we could also use a lot more Stuka aircraft.
We in the air force see great potential in ground attack roll especially against the British in Malta and Egypt.

Mussolini: I will enquire General.
Any other question?

Pricolo: No Il Duce.

Badoglio: No.

Mussolini: Then both go and converse with Admiral Campioni and complete your plans for Malta.
I shall see you back here soon.
Dismissed!

50713187.jpg

The two Generals leave the room.

Ciano: Il Duce how shall we explain to the Germans that once they forces arrive we do not need them?

Mussolini: The German forces being sent for the Malta invasion can engage in manoeuvres and training with our forces around Naples to keep them occupied.
We will allow their air force to be used in full as we can do little to stop that.
Their Parachutists can help train our own forces and be used as a reserve for the attack on Malta.

Ciano: What off the Armoured Division they wish to send to North Africa.

Mussolini: We will only allow it to be transported to Libya when it is fully assembled in Naples and even then behind our own reinforcements for Graziani in priority.
Once in Libya it too can be used as a reserve.

Ciano: Excellent Il Duce.

Italian+Fascist+Coat+of+Arms-Web.jpg

Part 5

dove.jpg

Mid-November 1940

12 Nov: Germany Molotov meets Hitler and Ribbentrop in Berlin.
The New World order is under discussion. Molotov expresses Soviet interest in Finland, Bulgaria, Romania, Dardanelles and Bosbor, but Hitler talks along broad lines about worldwide spheres of influence between Russia, Germany, Italy and Japan.
The next day Molotov meets Hitler again asking acceptance to liquidate Finland. Hitler now resists every attempt to expand soviet influence in Europe. He sees Britain as defeated and offers India to the Soviet Union.

The 3rd and 7th Panzer Divisions along with the 7th Flieger Division begin to move to Naples from Germany.
The Luftflotte 2 begins to move to Southern Italy.
General Model will fly to Libya then on to Egypt to familiarise himself with the Italian forces he will be working with and the British foe he will be fighting.

Mussolini and Hitler both agree that serious bombing of Malta should begin with the Regia Marina doing what it can to disrupt any re-supply efforts to the Island.

14 Nov: A heavy night raid on Coventry. Coventry Cathedral is destroyed and the medieval centre of the city is levelled.

15 Nov: The Soviet Union is invited to join Tripartite Pact and to share in the spoils of British Empire.

20101016_bkd002.jpg

Warsaw's Jewish ghetto is cordoned off from the rest of the city.

Requests are again made by Mussolini for General Graziani to order General Berti to push his Tenth Army further into Egypt before the Germans can arrive and steal the glory.
General Graziani still complains that he lacks armour and basic supplies and refuses to move his forces.
Mussolini orders the despatch of all the latest Italian tank models and as much extra transport as possible to Egypt.

16 Nov: Milan

Hitler and Mussolini again meet in Milan to review the plans for the invasion of Malta.
The Italian and German Joint Chiefs of Staff present their plans.

Brauchitsch: I present to you Gentlemen Operation Herkules the Invasion of Malta.

Air landing will be carried out by the 7th Flieger Division of General Putzier but with full Fliegerkorps in the area under the over all command of General Kurt Student.
Knowledge of the enemy's defensive positions on Malta is going to be extensive, thanks to meticulous aerial mapping by the Luftwaffe. Every fortification, artillery emplacement and AA battery was carefully noted and scrutinized.

Student claimed later that "We even knew the calibre of the coastal guns, and how many degrees they could be turned inland."

student.jpg

Brauchitsch: Air transports will consist of Junkers Ju 52 transports, totalling 300 aircraft, were allocated for the air landings along with 300 DFS 230 gliders (carrying ten men each).

The Regia Aeronautica (Italian Air Force) will contribute approximately 180-220 transport aircraft, mostly three-engined SM.75s (carrying 24-28 men each) and SM.81s (carrying 12-14 men each).

Given the short distance (90 miles) between airfields on Sicily and the planned drop zones over Malta, it is possible for the motorized transports to make four round-trips per day. They were to drop one German airborne Division onto the southern side of the island. The Italians requested the use of Italian Parachutists in the drop too. They will be used if they are ready in time.
The paratroopers had two primary objectives: securing the high ground behind the invasion beaches and seizing a nearby airfield so our transport aircraft can quickly land an additional division and supplies.
Airborne units slated for the invasion include 7. Fliegerdivision (11,000 men) plus what ever Italian Parachute Battalions become available.
Additional preparations for the airborne assault included construction of three glider strips 25 miles south of Mount Etna on the island of Sicily.

The seaborne assault force will comprise a total of 50,000 ground troops. They were to make amphibious landings at two points on the southern side of the island, with the main effort falling upon a site designated Famagosta and a smaller secondary landing at a place designated Larnaca. Also to be seized were the lesser islands of Gozo and Comino. Amphibious feints would be directed at St. Paul's Bay, Mellieha Bay and northwest of Valletta near the old Victoria Lines to draw British attention away from the actual landing sites

The main assault convoy is scheduled to begin landing on Malta just before midnight on the first day of the invasion, after the airborne forces had already landed during the afternoon hours and secured the heights above the selected beaches. The bulk of the first-wave assault troops would come from 2 Italian Infantry Division’s the Bari Division and the Livorno Division two battalions of San Marco Marines (2,000) and three battalions of Blackshirts (1,900).
Armour support comprises around 24 Swimming Panzers developed for Operation Sealion from 3rd Panzer Division.
The follow-up convoy would be made up of key elements of Rommel’s 3rd Panzer Division and a further two Italian Infantry Divisions along with attached artillery assets. It would include some Italian armour.
The Infantry Divisions will be the Assieta Infantry Division (9,000) and the Napoli Infantry Division (8,900) along with attached artillery assets (3,200).

Two days are allowed for the main amphibious assault and landing of the follow-up convoy, though this was heavily dependent on quickly securing Marsaxlokk Bay which would allow heavier artillery pieces and a much higher tonnage of supplies to be brought in.

malta1.jpg

Lacking landing craft for a major amphibious assault, the Regia Marina will search Italian shipyards for what craft they can find and secure what they can not from ourselves.
The best of what could be classed as landing craft we have are German vessels that we intended for Operation Sealion.
They will be transferred to the Mediterranean via the Rhone River to make up for an expected shortfall of Italian-built landing craft.
Additional German-operated landing craft will be sent to Italy via rail for the invasion included twelve Siebel ferries (catamaran rafts powered by automobile engines driving water screws and armed with a mix of 88mm and 20mm flak guns), six Type 39 Pionierlandungsboote (carrying 20 tons of cargo, 2 light vehicles or 45 infantrymen and unloaded via clamshell doors at the bow), six Type 40 Pionierlandungsboote (a larger version of the Type 39, carrying 40 tons of cargo, three or four light vehicles or 80-90 fully-equipped infantrymen), a company of eighty-one Sturmboote (Type 39 Stormboats, small plywood boats carrying up to six infantrymen and powered by 30 hp outboard motors) plus an assortment of large inflatable rafts (carrying 25 infantrymen each). Some of these rafts were powered by outboard motors and some were propelled by oars alone.

The Italians have assembled a varied collection of other naval craft to transport the amphibious forces. These included two former Strait of Messina railroad ferries (converted to carry 4-8 tanks each); ten passenger ships (800-1,400 men each); six former passenger ferries (400 men each); six cargo ships (3,000 tons of supplies each); 30 ex-trawlers (300 men each); five converted minelayers (500 men each); and 74 assorted motorboats (30-75 men each). The Italians are also requested the use of 200 additional German Sturmboote to assist in quickly transferring men from ship to shore.

Specialized landing equipment slated for Herkules includes the Seeschlange (Sea Snake), a floating ship-to-shore bridge originally developed by the German Army for Operation Sealion. It is formed from a series of joined modules that could be towed into place and act as a temporary jetty. Moored ships could then unload their cargo either directly onto the "roadway" or lower it down onto it via their heavy-duty ship's booms.

The Regia Marina has the two fold task of protecting the invasion convoys from attacks by Britain's Mediterranean Fleet and providing off-shore gunfire support during the landings. The force assigned to accomplish this includes two Italian battleships (Vittorio Veneto, Andrea Doria), four heavy cruisers, eight light cruisers and 21 destroyers. These ships would sortie and assemble from the ports of Messina, Reggio Calabria, Augusta and Cagliari. Two older Duilio-class battleships would carry approximately 200 rounds each for shore bombardment missions.
Italian and German submarines will also to be deployed for scouting purposes and for intercepting any British naval forces attempting to interfere with the seaborne landings. One submarine will to be stationed midway between Sicily and Malta and act as a guide beacon for the transport planes on their way to and from the drop zones.
The Italians are confident they can fend off any daylight incursions by Britain's Royal Navy, especially given the Luftwaffe's ability to dominate the daytime skies, but there is legitimate concerns that Italian fleet could face serious difficulties if the British sought to disrupt the seaborne landings by night. Lacking ship-borne radar and the lack of night-fighting training and equipment to its naval forces, the Regia Marina could fair badly against the Royal Navy in night fighting.

400px-CoA_Regia_Marina.svg.png

Now for the garrison on Malta gentlemen.
The main garrison forces on Malta consisted of less than 10,000 infantry troops (Commonwealth and Maltese) Armour is present but it is believed to be in small numbers.
The English do have quite a few field guns however.
Malta's fixed defenses included 19 coastal guns (varying in size from 12-inch to 16-inch), 130 smaller coastal guns (4.7-inch to 9.2-inch), 112 heavy and 144 light anti-aircraft guns.
English airpower on Malta consists of mainly outdated Gladiator fighters.

Any questions?

Rommel: The amount of force to be used seems quite excessive.

Brauchitsch: Myself the other Generals and the Fuhrer in particular are worried about loses that could be incurred on route to the Island against the Royal Navy.

Mussolini: My Regia Marina will take care of the Royal Navy.

Hitler: Il Duce it is better we go in with excess forces than not enough.
I think our Generals have come up with a good plan.

Mussolini looking sollum only nodded before he spoke.

Mussolini: We need Italian paratroopers on the landing.

Hitler: Of course my friend General Student has assured me the Fliegerkorps will do it’s up most to have a full Italian Division ready to take part in the assault.

mussolini2.png

After the German entourage had left Mussolini requested the Chiefs of Staff come see him.

Marshal Badolglio and the Italian Chiefs of Staff present Mussolini with another set of plans for the invasion of Malta which Il Duce had demanded.
These plans are separate from the joint plans the Italians and Germans are working on together but in actual fact are a shadow of those plans but with German units replaced by Italian ones.

Mussolini: Run me through your plans Marshal.

Badolglio: Yes Il Duce all though it wont be fully possible to replace the German Flieger Division with our own in the time scale and for other technical reasons, you can see we should have at least 7000 Parachutists ready to be dropped in the airborne invasion.

Mussolini: Why can’t we replace them all?

Pricolo: The German gliders will be most useful to us Il Duce and we have nothing to replace them with.
Also if we refuse the use of these the Germans may withdraw the use of the Junkers 88’s which are needed to transport most of our forces.

Mussolini: What else?

Badoglio: We can replace the 7rd Panzer Division with the Littorio Armoured Division which has been recalled from the Yugoslav frontiers.

Mussolini: We can send the Centauro and Ariete armoured Divisions to Egypt to stop Graziani’s moaning.
When can we expect the invasion of Malta?

Badoglio: Late January would be best Il Duce.

Mussolini: Nonsense.
The Italian nation needs victories Gentlemen, the Italian nation demands victories.

Badoglio: We could jeopardise the invasion if we rush things Il Duce.

Mussolini: Do you Gentlemen think it can be done sooner.

Pricolo and Campioni look at each other nervously.

Campioni: My forces will need time to recover from the attack on Taranto.

Mussolini: The less said about that episode the better Admiral.
Did I not warn you Admiral of the need to disperse our forces?
Now I see the new plans even disperse them to my original suggested destinations.
and you Pricolo?

Pricolo: The Air force is always ready Il Duce.

Mussolini: Can you hold off the Royal Navy?

Pricolo: Indeed Il Duce, our torpedo bombers along with German dive bombers would be the main deterrents to the Royal Navy with the Regia Marina also providing support.

Mussolini: That reminds me General I have got you some more Stuka’s.

Pricolo: Thank you Il Duce.

Mussolini: I will give you till late December to launch the attack! Early January at the very latest.
Operation Herkules will be a success the Italian people demand it!

mussolini.jpg

Part 6

italypg1opener.jpg

Late November 1940

Late November proved to be a very good period for the Axis Powers.

20 Nov: Hungary signs the Tripartite pact, this is welcomed by a huge rally by the Fascist Arrow Cross Party in Budapest.
Hungary had done well by Germany and Italy so far gaining back Transylvania from Romania and Ruthenia from Slovakia.

76523.jpg

21 Nov: The Belgian government, in exile in Britain, declares war on Italy.

Il Duces Office Rome.

Present - Mussolini, Ciano, Badoglio.

In Rome after constant urging Mussolini receives a reply from Graziani confirming he will attack the British in Egypt if he receives a large number of the new Italian M13 tanks.
This left Mussolini with some hard choices.

Mussolini: Graziani is still demanding more tanks.

Badoglio: He does need a heavier tank Il Duce our light tanks are not as good as those of the English.
Plus any armoured divisions we send will take time to get to him.

Mussolini: Graziani has 200,000 men out there, he should have drove the English into the Suez Canal by now.

Badoglio: We will despatch the Centauro and Littorio Divisions to Libya if you wish Ill Duce?

Ciano: We may need Littorio for Operation Herkules Il Duce.

Mussolini: Did I not make it clear already Badolio I wanted Centauro despatched to Libya right away?
As for tanks we have been sending every tank we have got off the production line this month to Graziani.

Ciano: Our production is only around 60 to 70 tanks a month Il Duce.

Badogglio: I will give the order for Centauro to move to Libya right away.

Mussolini: Very well Badoglio, but the Littorio must be in position for the invasion of Malta and what off the Ariete division?

Badoglio: We will despatch that too as soon as it is equipped.
But we could also send Littorio and leave Malta to the Germans.

Mussolini: We will need it Marshal! The invasion of Malta as I have told you several times must be an all Italian affair.

Badoglio: Of course Il Duce.

franciste.jpg

23 Nov: Romania signs the Tripartite Pact.
All though Romania has recently lost land to Bulgaria and Hungary the main benefits of signing the pact is that it will ward of the growing threat of the Soviet Union which occupied Eastern Romania in the summer.

romania_map_1940.jpg

24 Nov: The Slovak Republic signs the Tripartite Pact.
Slovakia at this point was very much dependent on Germany and has become a virtual client state.

200px-Rodobrana.jpg

26 Nov: The Soviet Union gives her terms to join the Tripartite pact including substantial new territorial gains for the USSR.

29 Nov: A massive overnight bombing raid on Liverpool.

30 Nov: A large bombing raid on Southampton in southern England; the city is hit again the next night.

In Naples the 2 Battalions of Italian Paratroopers have began training with a the Fliegerkorps with extra troops combed from the finest selections possible from the Italian armed forces being brought in by the end of the week to take the Italian Parachutist force up to Division size.
Rommel’s 7th Panzer was training up various Italian units but mainly the Littorio Armoured Division and demonstrating its Schwimmpanzer II tanks.
They are around 40 of these vehicles which is more than the 24 expected.
They have been brought to Naples with as many as possible being expected to engage in the Maltese invasion.
Rommel isn’t too impressed with the punching power of these vehicles but wasn’t to concerned considering the massive superiority in fire power and numbers the Axis forces should bring to bare on the Island.

Italian_Paratroops-311x216.jpg

Part 7

axis2

Early December 1940

1 Dec: Bombing raids are exchanged throughout the month between Germany and Britain. First German bombs, then Britain's.

Joseph P. Kennedy, the US Ambassador to the United Kingdom is asked to resign by President Roosevelt after he gives a newspaper interview expressing that "Democracy is finished in England".

Sidi Barrani Marshal Graziani’s HQ.

Graziani: Welcome General Model.
I take it you have inspected much of our forces and terrain over the last week.

Model: Thank you Marshal.
I have indeed.

Graziani: I’m sure you are just as unimpressed as we are.

Model is taken aback by such a comment.

Graziani: We may well have an impressive force on paper in terms of manpower, but I can assure you this is very much not the case in terms of quality.
We have been asking for trucks and tanks for nearly 6 months and until this month very little has arrived.
Unless we have such things we are useless in the desert.

Model: I hope with the arrival of the 3rd Panzer Division that will change that for you.

Graziani: If it arrives General, if it arrives.

Model: Why would it not?

Graziani: When Il Duce is involved promises tend to evaporate like water in the desert sand.
Il Duce in his great wisdom has been demanding I further my attack into Egypt since September.
The man does not understand the problems we face here in the desert.
Here One Armoured Division is worth more than a whole Infantry Army.
Did you inspect our armoured forces General?

Model: I did.

Graziani: And what did you think of them?

Model: Very limited in number.

Graziani: And quality?

Model looks across to General Berti and General Maletti.

Graziani: Don’t worry General Berti and Maletti will not be offended by any negative remarks.
Both have been demanding more and better armour for weeks if not months.

Model: Well im very worried about the small number of tanks and the fact that many of these tanks are light models and will not be capable of matching anything the English will use.

Graziani: Indeed. Im sure General Maletti will agree.
He has gathered around 70 tanks together as our main armoured force in the hope we can gain some mobile offensive and defensive power.

Maletti: Our L3 tanks will be worse than useless against anything other than English thin skinned vehicles.
The M11’s are an improvement and we have been asking for more but we are still having problems with them and we only have a small number of them.
The M13’s are expected soon which are said to be on the next rung up.

Model: How many M11’s do you have?

Maletti: 35 General and 35 L3’s in my Armour group.

Berti: Another problem we face General is one of supply.
Our supply route is long and vulnerable to RAF attack.

Model: how many planes do you have?

Graziani: We have around 300 aircraft of various types but many like our tanks are obsolete.
The English have around the same number we think.

Model: How many guns do we have?

Berti: 1,500 and many of them are very out dated.
As you can see General we need more of everything here.

Model: Are you suffering any supply problems other than major battle equipment itself?

Graziani: We are getting things to the front but it is taking a very long time.
We have 8,000 trucks but we need more.
Not only do we need trucks for supply but we require trucks to give our infantry some mobile ability.
Other wise we will be left like Islands in the sea waiting to be cut off and destroyed one by one.

Model: Well I hope the 3rd Panzer Division will change all that as I said.

Graziani: Armour will be the key General just as it was for you Germans in France it will be for us here.
Did you know my request for armoured divisions was outlined in the 1938 manual which required “M” tanks as the core of each unit for penetration effect, “P” tanks as mobile artillery, and “L” tanks as scouts.

Model: P tanks?

Graziani: A new tank being designed as we speak.
But not yet available.
Thus im forced to use the “M” and “L” tanks for all three purposes.
And even then I have very little of them.
I’m told around about 60 M11’s are on the way to the frontline as we speak but I shall wait and see.

Walter_Model.jpg

2 Dec: The British General Wavell reinforces his forces which now amount to 31,000 troops, 120 guns and 275 tanks (among which are 50 Matilda's and 100 Cruisers), 60 armoured cars and 150 aircraft. Some of these new aircraft are the Hurricanes, which outclass any Italian aircraft in the region.

5 Dec: The RAF bombs Düsseldorf and Turin.

Rome

Ciano: Il Duce we have had some complaints from the Germans that some of their personnel and equipment is being delayed in port rather than being sent to Libya.

Mussolini: Indeed it is and it will be delayed until the Ariete has fully landed and the Centauro Division is dispatched.
And any division I decide to send there until we conquer Egypt.

Ciano smiles.

Ciano: I see Il Duce the greatness of Italy must of course come first.

Mussolini grins back.

Mussolini: Then we understand each other my friend.
Our allies shall have to wait for their glory.

Wavell,.jpg

6 Dec: Operation Compass.
The British Commander General Wavell has noted that the Italian defensive positions are dispersed with the fortified camps separated by large distances which meant they could not provide mutual support. Operation Compass, for administrative reasons, is planned as a five-day raid but is it can be extended after to exploit any success. Wavell is confident of his smaller force's capabilities and on 28 November he wrote to General Wilson expressing a belief that an opportunity might occur for converting the enemy's defeat into an outstanding victory:
I do not entertain extravagant hopes of this operation but I do wish to make certain that if a big opportunity occurs we are prepared morally, mentally and administratively to use it to the fullest.

The British plan is for 7th Armoured Division's Support Group to observe the Italian camps at Sofafi to prevent any intervention from them while the rest of the armoured division and 4th Indian Division passed through the gap between Sofafi and Nibeiwa. A brigade from the Indian Division supported by Infantry tanks of 7th Royal Tank Regiment (7th RTR) would then attack Nibeiwa from the west while the Armoured Division protected their northern flank. Once Nibeiwa is captured a second Indian brigade, again supported by 7th RTR would attack the Tummars. Meanwhile the Matruh Garrison Force (3rd battalion Coldstream Guards plus some artillery) would contain the enemy camp at Maktila on the coast and the Royal Navy would bombard Maktila and Sidi Barrani. Assuming a successful outcome, in the second phase Sidi Barrani would be attacked on the second day by the Indian Division and a westward exploitation would follow

So on the 6th British and Indian troops of the Western Desert Force launched Operation Compass, an offensive against Italian forces in Egypt.
The Italians have seven infantry divisions and the Maletti Group in fortified defensive positions. Initial attack is launched against the five Italian camps around and south of Sidi Barrani.

IH134131.jpg

The RAF makes attacks on Italian airfields destroying or damaging 29 aircraft on the ground.

Over the next few days the Italian camps are overrun one by one.

The Maletti Group which is the only group capable of carrying out any serious defensive or offensive manoeuvres is earmarked for early destruction by the British. During the initial attack, Matilda infantry tanks of the 7th Royal Tank Regiment exploit a hole in the Italian defensive positions and attack the Nibiewa camp from the rear. The Maletti Group is destroyed and General Maletti is killed in action.

The 1st Libyan Division, the 2nd Libyan Division, and the 4th Blackshirt Division are all but destroyed. The remaining Italian units in Egypt are forced to withdraw towards Libya.
Over the next few days the British 4th Armoured Brigade, on top of the escarpment, and 7th Armoured Brigade, on the coast, endeavoured to pursue vigorously. They encountered acute supply problems exacerbated by the large number of prisoners (twenty times the number planned for) and found it extremely difficult to advance.
Italian forces crowded into the coast route while retreating from Sidi Barrani and Buq Buq were easy targets for the Terror and the two gunboats which bombarded the Sollum area all day and most of the night of 11 December By late 12 December the only remaining Italian positions in Egypt were at the approaches to Sollum and a force in the region of Sidi Omar.
73 Italian tanks and 237 artillery pieces were destroyed or captured and approximately 38,300 Italian and Libyan soldiers killed or captured. 18 British tanks were destroyed.

1940%2Bitalian%2Bprisoner.jpg

8: Francisco Franco rules out Spanish entry into the war; the immediate result is that Hitler is forced to cancel an attack on Gibraltar.

francisco_franco.JPG

11 Dec: General O'Connor wants to continue attacking in North Africa. He wanted to get at least as far as Benghazi. However, on 11 December General Wavell whose command stretched down into Africa, had ordered the Indian 4th Infantry Division to withdraw to take part in an offensive against Italian forces in Italian East Africa. O'Connor would state, "[This] came as a complete and very unpleasant surprise . . . It put 'paid' to the question of immediate exploitation . . . ". The Australian 6th Division replaced the Indian troops from 14 December. The Australians had barely finished training, were missing their armoured regiment, and as yet had only one artillery regiment equipped with the new 25 pounder field guns.

00132.jpg

12 Dec: Rome

The news from Africa hit Rome like a Hurricane.
Mussolini and Italy were not going to be getting the glory of capturing Egypt anytime soon.

Mussolini on hearing the news slumped in his seat in a very dejected mood.

Badoglio: Il Duce we are in desperate need of armour, guns and aircraft in Libya right now or all our forces may collapse.

Mussolini still sits in silence.

Mussolini: I have ordered that we send such things.
It is your job as Commando Supremo to make sure it gets there!

Badoglio: It is not just how much we send but what type.
If possible we need German armour.
Our infantry and what limited armour we had was overrun by the English with ease.
I think we must despatch the 3rd Panzer immediately Il Duce.
We can delay the deployment of the majority of the Ariete division until 3rd Panzer is deployed.
If we do that Graziani can link it up with the 3rd Panzer Division and later the Ariete Division when it arrives, and coupled with combined German and Italian airpower we may be able to stop the English advance.

Mussolini: Make the transfer of the 3rd Panzer a priority Marshal.

Badoglio: Shall we postpone the transfer of the Ariete Division to Tripoli and our plans for sending further Infantry divisions to Libya?

Mussolini: Yes Marshal.
What of Centauro?

Badolglio: It was due for slightly later despatch but we will be sending it through Benghazi so that can still go ahead.

Mussolini: Why not send 3rd Panzer to Benghazi?

Badoglio: The Germans won’t risk it that far East Il Duce because of the Royal Navy and RAF.

Mussolini: Ciano arrange a meeting with the Fuhrer.

Ciano: Are we to ask for more German aid Il Duce?

Mussolini looks across at Badoglio wishing in his mind he was not in the room.

Mussolini: Dismissed Marshal.

Badoglio leaves.

Mussolini: I have an idea that ill put to the Fuhrer which could work to the benefit of us all.

Ciano: Ohh?

Mussolini: It is the idea I suggested in the first place!
If we can persuade the Fuhrer to move Rommel’s 7th Panzer to join the 3rd Panzer in Libya we can make Operation Herkules basically an all Italian affair.
This will also increase out strength in Libya.

Ciano: Excellent Il Duce.

poster.jpg

Part 8

2189544775_8a5c258483.jpg

Mid-Late December 1940

Milan

14 Dec: A meeting between Hitler and Mussolini, plus various figures from both regimes.

Mussolini: I presume you heard about our set backs in Egypt Mein Fuhrer?

Hitler: I did my friend and but just as you aided Germany in our endeavours against England in the summer, with your generous supply of aircraft we shall now return the favour.
General Model here will move into action with his Panzers as soon as they are fully deployed at Tripoli.
I trust we will have no more delays Il Duce?

Mussolini: Of course not I will personally see to that.

Hitler: Excellent.
The Reichmarshal will run us through a brief for the escort of our forces and will liaise with your aircheif Pricolo in ensuring the safe arrival of our forces in Libya.

Goring: We currently have Luftflotta 2 and a number of other aircraft in Southern Italy which I brought for strategic reasons.
I suggest we deploy most of these to Libya at once.
A large number of my strategic additions are BF-110 heavy fighters for convoy protection.
Not only can these Birds be used as Fighters but they can also carry bombs for anti-submarine warfare and it can strafe enemy ships.
We will supply an extra number of fighters of this type for use in North Africa too.
We will also supply a smaller but extra number of BF-109 fighters along side those present in Luftflotta 2.

hermann_goring_1.jpg

Raeder: We would also need great co-operation with the Regia Marina to ensure the safe arrival of our forces in Libya Il Duce.

Mussolini: Ill make sure Admiral Campioni gives you his full co-operation.

Hitler: General Model here informs me that you need to increase your amount of armour and mobility in Libya.

Mussolini: We have our new M13 tank entering service now which should prove a match for anything the English can use against us and we are sending more trucks every day.

Model: It numbers large enough it will be a much improved addition Il Duce.
It would be best however Il Duce if we sent no more light tanks to Libya.

Mussolini: Noted General.

Hitler: Our General Model is also very keen on integration of our forces in terms of training and weapon familiarisation.
I hope this would not present a problem.

Mussolini: Of course not old friend.
Our two great nations shall smash the English together.
I also have a suggestion Mein Fuhrer.
My Generals insist that if we also had the 7th Panzer as well as the 3rd at our disposal we could conquer Egypt within 6 months.

Hitler: What of our plans for Malta Il Duce?

Mussolini: I have the Littorio armoured Division ready and willing to take the place of the 7th Panzer in the invasion of Malta.

Hitler: And what of our swimming Panzers?

Mussolini: Perhaps we could negotiate a fee for those and transfer them to Littorio
I’m sure Italian tank crews would learn quickly how to operate such a vehicle.

Hitler: I was thinking that we would be better off fighting a holding action in Libya against the English.

Mussolini: Mein Fuhrer Egypt is there for the taking.

Model: It would make sense Mein Fuhrer we could take Suez and secure our Southern European flank for good.

After further discussion Hitler eventually agreed to this.

Mussolini: A most wise decision old friend.
We will now see Italy and Germany march on to victory.

Hitler: How would you like to be our Korps Commander in Africa Model?

Model: I would be honoured sir.

After the meeting Hitler confesses to Model that he was very reluctant to offer that division to Mussolini but felt in a difficult position.
He said to Model “in the coming year such units may well be needed in the struggle against Bolshevism”.

el-alamein-1.jpg

North Africa

Exploitation by the British continues two armoured brigades and the Support Group of 7th Armoured Division with the infantry of 16th Infantry Brigade (which had not gone with the Indian division to the Sudan) begin again to push forward.

15 Dec: Sollum and Halfya are captured as well as Fort Capuzzo.
All Italian forces hare been cleared from Egypt. 7th Armoured Division is concentrated south-west of Bardia awaiting the arrival of 6th Australian Division to make the attack on Bardia. By this time the Western Desert Force had taken 38,000 prisoners and captured 400 artillery pieces and 50 tanks while suffering casualties of 133 killed, 387 wounded and 8 missing.

The surviving Italian forces that had withdrawn from Egypt re-group at Bardia.
Lieutenant General Annibale Bergonzoli' was in charge of the forces there.

Mussolini wrote to Bergonzoli: "I have given you a difficult task but one suited to your courage and experience as an old and intrepid soldier—the task of defending the fortress of Bardia to the last. I am certain that 'Electric Beard' and his brave soldiers will stand at whatever cost, faithful to the last."
Bergonzoli replied: "I am aware of the honour and I have today repeated to my troops your message — simple and unequivocal. In Bardia we are and here we stay."

bergonzoli.jpg

Graziani daily recorded his apprehension. He bemoaned the situation and his fate, and he demanded mass intervention by German and Italian aircraft. While Bergonzoli prepared the defences of Bardia, Graziani began the evacuation of colonists from between Tobruk and Derna.

Bergonzoli had approximately 40,000 defenders under his command. The Italian divisions defending the perimeter of Bardia included remnants of the 62nd "Marmarica" Infantry Division, remnants of the 63rd "Cirene" Infantry Division, the 1st "23 March" Blackshirt Division, and the 2nd "28 October" Blackshirt Division. These divisions guarded an 18-mile (29 km) perimeter which had a permanent anti-tank ditch, extensive wire fence, and a double row of concrete strong points. As a "mobile reserve" there were a dozen medium tanks and over one hundred L3 tankettes. While the L3s were generally worthless, the medium tanks for the first time included a few M13/40 with the turret-mounted 47 mm anti-tank gun as its main armament. This was a vast improvement over the hull-mounted 37 mm gun of the M11/39s. Bergonzoli also had the remnants of the 64 Infantry Division Catanzaro and some "fortress troops" in Bardia itself. Unfortunately for Bergonzoli, he had little more than a month's supply of water.

A few bright notes did however appear for Graziani.
Italian airpower was increasing and helping to protect Italian forces on the ground.

18 Dec: Berlin

German Military Conference.

Hitler: Today I signed War Directive No. 21 to you in the German High Command for an operation now codenamed "Operation Barbarossa" stating: "The German Wehrmacht must be prepared to crush Soviet Russia in a quick campaign.
For those of you with doubts to my strategic motives for this invasion let me make these points.
· When the Soviet Union is defeated, the labour shortage in the German industry could be relieved by demobilization of many soldiers.
· The Ukraine would be a reliable source of agriculture.
· Having the Soviet Union as a source of slave labour would vastly improve Germany's geostrategic position.
· Defeat of the Soviet Union would further isolate the England.
· The German economy needed more oil and controlling the Baku Oilfields would achieve this;
Our policy is simple to destroy the Soviet Union as a political entity in accordance with the geopolitical Lebensraum idea for the benefit of future "Aryan" generations.
Operation Barbarossa will combine a northern assault towards Leningrad, a symbolic capturing of Moscow, and an economic strategy of seizing oil fields in the south beyond Ukraine.

image001.jpg

In autumn 1940, high-ranking German officials drafted a memorandum on the dangers of an invasion of the Soviet Union. They said Ukraine, Belorussia and the Baltic States would end up as only a further economic burden for Germany. Another German official argued that the Soviets in their current bureaucratic form were harmless, the occupation would not produce a gain for Germany and "why should it not stew next to us in its damp Bolshevism?"

Hitler ignored German economic naysayers, and told Hermann Göring that "everyone on all sides was always raising economic misgivings against a threatening war with Russia. From now onwards he wasn't going to listen to any more of that kind of talk and from now on he was going to stop up his ears in order to get his peace of mind."

In the Soviet Union, speaking to his generals, Stalin mentioned Hitler's references to an attack on the Soviet Union in Mein Kampf, and “we must always be ready to repulse a German attack”, and that “Hitler thinks the Red Army will need four years to ready itself for war, he is wrong” Hence, "we must and will be ready much earlier" and "we will do our best to delay the war for another two years to make sure we are ready."

Stalin-post49.jpg

22 Dec: Models 3rd Panzer division begins to arrive in Tripoli.

23 Dec: Graziani replaces Berti with General Giuseppe Tellera as commander of the 10th Army.

29 Dec: Large German air-raids on London; St Paul's Cathedral is damaged.

german_poster_21_might.jpg

Part 9

poster-f

January 1941

The planned invasion of Malta that was pencilled in for the 2nd of January but it is postponed until the 2nd of February because of the situation in North Africa.
On a positive note this will allow more time to train the Italian Parachute division and to prepare Italian Infantry and Armoured formations.

The plan for the month would involve severe air attacks on Malta ending Royal Navy supply of the Island and wiping what is left of the RAF from the skies above.

1 Jan: Rommel’s 7th Panzer begins to arrive in Tripoli.

Rommel.in.Africa.1941.jpg

3 Jan: The British assault Bardia.

The 16th Infantry Brigade attacked at dawn from the west, where the defences were known to be weak. Sappers blew gaps in the barbed wire with Bangalore torpedoes and filled in and broke down the sides of the anti-tank ditch with picks and shovels. This allowed the infantry and 23 Matilda II tanks of the 7th Royal Tank Regiment to enter the fortress and capture all their objectives, along with 8,000 prisoners.
In the second phase of the operation, the 17th Infantry Brigade exploited the breach made in the perimeter, and pressed south as far as a secondary line of defences known as the Switch Line. On the second day, the 16th Infantry Brigade captured the township of Bardia, cutting the fortress in two. Thousands of prisoners were taken, and the Italian garrison now held out only in the northern and southernmost parts of the fortress. On the third day, the 19th Infantry Brigade advanced south from Bardia, supported by artillery and the Matilda tanks, now reduced in number to just six. Its advance allowed the 17th Infantry Brigade to make progress as well, and the two brigades reduced the southern sector of the fortress. Meanwhile, the Italian garrisons in the north surrendered to the 16th Infantry Brigade and the Support Group of the British 7th Armoured Division outside the fortress. In all, some 36,000 Italian prisoners were taken.

Only a few thousand—including General Bergonzoli and three of his division commanders—escaped to Tobruk on foot or in boats. In addition, the Allies captured 26 coast defence guns, 7 medium guns, 216 field guns, 146 antitank guns, 12 medium tanks and 115 L3s, and perhaps most important of all, 708 vehicles.

The British suffer around 2000 casualties in the assault many from air attack.
The British also suffered the loss of a number of bombers and some damage to shipping.

The Italian air force made a very strong effort to disrupt the British attack but to no avail.
It was assisted by a small but growing number of Luftwaffe planes.

desert_victorylg.jpg

In Germany, the Chancellor, Adolf Hitler, was unconcerned by the military implications of the loss of Libya, but deeply troubled by the prospect of a political reverse that could lead to the fall of Mussolini. He ordered that all efforts must be made to speed up the transfer of the 3rd and 7th Panzer division to Libya.

Hitler: (said to the amusement to his generals) "Failure has had the healthy effect of once more compressing Italian claims to within the natural boundaries of Italian capabilities."

6 Jan: Tobruk is isolated by the 7th Armoured Division.

In Rome Mussolini is furious he.
He has the Commando Supremo General Badoglio brought before him and he blames him for many of his own mistakes, the dire preparation of the Italian armed forces and the supply situation.
General Badoglio is dismissed and replaced with Ugo Cavallero.

ucavallero.jpg

9 Jan: Tobruk is fully surrounded.

10 Jan: Lend-Lease introduced into the U.S. Congress.

German–Soviet Border and Commercial Agreement is signed.

German aircraft badly damage aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious, which is heading for Malta.
The German Luftwaffe, it is now clear, has command of the air over the Mediterranean.
The attack will spell further agony for Malta over the next month.

Illustrorious_attacked_by_German_bombers.jpg

14 Jan: The remaining majority of the Ariete Division begins to arrive in Tripoli adding to the congestion in the port and greatly angering Rommel.

16 Jan: British forces start the first attacks of their East African counter-offensive, on Italian-held Ethiopia, from Kenya
German and Italians bombers pound Valletta, Malta, and the HMS Illustrious is left a smouldering wreck in port.

It will never see action again..

17 Jan: 17: In Asia the Battle of Koh Chang ended in a decisive victory for the Vichy French naval forces during the French-Thai War.

Molotov meets German Ambassador Schulenburg in Moscow. The Soviets are surprised that they have not received any answer from Germany to their offer to join the Axis (November 26th, 1940) and they hope to draw the attention of the Reich Government to that matter. Schulenburg replies that it has to be first discussed with Italy and Japan.

18 Jan: Air raids on Malta are increasing in focus and intensity.

109199264121763193969_1.jpg

19 Jan: The 4th and 5th Indian Divisions continue the British counter-offensive in East Africa, attacking Italian-held Eritrea from the Sudan.

21 Jan Tobruk is attacked.
There are approximately 25,000 Italian defenders at Tobruk under the overall command of General Petassi Manella, commander of the XXII Corps. Besides "fortress troops," the defenders comprised the 61st "Sirte" Infantry Division, sixty-two tankettes, twenty-five medium tanks, and some two-hundred guns. The perimeter was about thirty miles long and was fortified with a combination of anti-tank ditch, wire, and a double row of strongpoints. In many ways the defenses at Tobruk were a replica of the defenses at Bardia.
The Allied infantry force comprised the 16th, 17th and 19th Brigades of Australian 6th Division under Major-General Iven Mackay supported by the 16 remaining Infantry tanks of 7 RTR and the machine-gun battalions of the Northumberland Regiment and Cheshire Regiment. 7th Armoured Division with its unit of Free French Marines were to play the same containing role they had at Bardia. Given the lack of tank numbers, heavy artillery bombardment was used to soften the Italian defenses.With their Browning machine guns, and four bombs each, the Vickers Wellington and Blenheim bombers also played an important part in the softening up of defenses of the Tobruk garrison.

22 Jan: Tobruk is captured yielding over 25,000 prisoners along with 236 field and medium guns, 23 medium tanks and more than 200 other vehicles. The Australian losses from the attack are 49 dead and 306 wounded.
During some fierce fighting took place and a company was forced to withdraw in an Italian counter-attack, in which the Australian troops lost 100 killed, wounded and captured.
The however also British suffer over 1000 more casualties in the air assault from the growing Luftwaffe presence.
They also lose several of their Wellington and Blenheim bombers.

8639D9B21C7E8912A193AADDB4B1.jpg

The Centauro Armoured Division completes its arrival in Bengazzi the M13 thanks in of Centauro are a vast improvement to the M11s. They had a better turret-mounted 47 mm tank gun which are more than able to pierce the armour of the British light and cruiser tanks. However, other than command vehicles, Italian tanks were not equipped with radios. Communicating for most Italian tankers required the use of signal flags.
This gave the Italians around 180 tanks.

23 Jan: Charles Lindbergh testifies before the U.S. Congress and recommends that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Adolf Hitler

24 Jan: British forces in Kenya continue the East African counter-offensive, attacking Italian Somaliland.
The 4th Armoured Brigade engages lead armoured elements of Centauro on the Derna - Mechili track. While the British manage to destroy nine Italian tanks in the battle, they themselves lose one cruiser and six light tanks.

25 Jan: The 2/11th Battalion make contact with Italian infantry and elements of the Centauro Division at Derna airfield and progress is difficult against particularly determined resistance. In the Derna-Giovanni Berta area, held by the 60th "Sabratha" Infantry Division and infantry elements fighting is fierce with Italian counterattacks taking place around Wadi Derna.

ITARM-M14-40-2.jpg

26 Jan: Derna, a town of 10,000 residents itself was captured on 26 January. Precise casualty figures for the fighting for Derna and Giovanni Berta have not been compiled but at least 15 Australians were killed fighting and over 100 in air attacks. The Italians lost a good part of the 60th "Sabratha" Infantry Division in the fighting.

27 Jan: An Australian battalion beat off a strong daylight attack from a force of at least a thousand Italians at Derna.

That same day, concealed Italian soldiers and elements of Centauro ambush a column of armoured vehicles of the 6th Cavalry Regiment and take three of the survivor’s prisoner. The advance of other units further to the south of the Wadi Derna eventually threatened the Centauro and its supporting infantry with encirclement and it disengaged on the night of 28 January.

C__pia+de+i03f

The rapid British advance caused the Italians to make a decision to evacuate Cyrenaica.
The British learn that the Italians are evacuating Cyrenaica along the main coastal road from Benghazi. The British 7th Armoured Division under Major General Sir Michael O'Moore Creagh are dispatched to intercept the remnants of the fleeing Italian Tenth Army.

Creagh's division was to travel via Msus and Antelat (the bottom of the semicircle), while the Australian 6th Division chased the Italians along the coast road round the north of the Jebel Akhdar mountains (the curve of the semicircle). The poor terrain was hard going for the tanks, and Creagh took the bold decision to send a flying column on wheels only (christened "Combe Force") south-west across the virtually unmapped Libyan Desert. Combe Force, under its namesake Lieutenant-Colonel John Combe of the 11th Hussars, consisted of an armoured car squadron from each of 11th Hussars and King's Dragoon Guards, 2nd Rifle Brigade, a Royal Air Force armoured car squadron, anti-tank guns from 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery (RHA), 'C' battery 4 RHA, and the 106th battery RHA with nine portee-mounted 37 mm anti-tank guns. The force totalled about 2,000 men.

29 Jan: Death of the Greek dictator, Ioannis Metaxas.

italy3opener.jpg

Part 10

9781405812535.jpg

Early February

5 Feb: On the afternoon of 5 February 1941, Combe Force arrived at the Benghazi – Tripoli road and set up road blocks near Sidi Saleh, some 20 miles (32 km) north of Ajedabia and 30 miles (48 km) southwest of Antelat. The leading elements of the Italian Tenth Army arrived 30 minutes later and were blocked. By the evening 4th Armoured Brigade had reached Beda Fomm, overlooking the coastal road some 10 miles (16 km) to the north of them while 7th Armoured Support Group took a more northerly route to threaten the retreating Italian Tenth Army's flank and rear and prevent a breakout across the desert.

6 Feb: Through the day the riflemen, tanks, and guns of Combe Force are surrounded and crushed by about 20,000 Italian soldiers supported by one hundred M13/40 medium tanks and two hundred guns attacking from the North and the 3rd Panzer Division (which has finally arrived after its long journey from Tripoli) attacking from the South.
The British suffer over 400 casualties and with the rest taken prisoner.

pziii.jpg

7 Feb: Model meets Graziani to decide what to do next.

Model: We have a great opportunity opening up before us.
We can now strike in the opposite direction as the original English offensive.

Graziani: Go on Model.

Model: We shall send one battalion of the 3rd Panzer Division to attack along the coast with the battalion of Centauro still in Benghazi.
This will be supported by most the Italian infantry.

Graziani: We can add other bits of assorted armour we have up there to this force.

Model: Good.
The rest of 3rd Panzer and the rest of Centauro will then advance with me across the desert.
We will also need a few thousand Italian infantry men in what ever trucks you have.

Graziani: That we can do.

Then we will first advance to Msus and then to Mechili
Then when we push towards the coast, then we may cut off the English forces on the Coast in the North.

Graziani: Just as they nearly done to us.

Model: Indeed.

Graziani: Shall we bring the 5th Army forward?

Model: What is it’s composition and condition at the moment.?

Graziani: the 5th Army has four divisions in Tripolitania.
In the strongholds of Sirte, Tmed Hassan, and Buera..
They are the 17th "Pavia" Infantry Division, the 25th "Bologna" Infantry Division, the 27th "Brescia" Infantry Division, and the 55th "Savona" Infantry Division .
As for their condition it isn’t good.
They had to contribute much equipment and most of the better artillery to the Tenth Army.
They have very little transport.

Model: Well if they are to march we best get them moving now.
If all goes well we may need them for attacks on Tobruk of even Sollum.
Can anything be pulled out of the mess that is the Tenth Army in terms of Divisions.

Graziani: I would say the Sabratha Division is the largest remnant of the remainder of the Tenth Army.
It could be reformed I would imagine.

With Rommel’s 7th Panzer Division on the way and the arrival of the Ariete Armoured Division and the Trento Motorised Division we will have something of a force.

Graziani: And constant logistics problems that I have faced for months.

Model: We need to re-take Tobruk and get Benghazi into full operation as a port and our problems will be much less.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-B11231,_Nordafrika,_Truppenparade_in_Tripolis.jpg

Feb 8: The Trento Motorised Division arrives in Tripoli.

The British are shocked by the destruction of Combe Force and decide to be much more cautious.
The Attack in the North near Benghazi is ordered to be stopped and a retreat waited for should Model push across the desert in an attempt to cut them off.
The British further South hold their armour no further west than Msus.
O’Conner and Wavell agree a retreat will be needed.
British armoured formations have suffered heavly in terms of break downs and enemy loses and tank numbers are now in low numbers.
Many British tanks are light tanks and Cruiser I tanks too.
Logistics problem are also a major concern after advancing over several hundred miles in 3 months.

Churchill assures his General Staff that reinforcements are already on the way including over 100 tanks, 100 aircraft and additional infantry divisions.

comm_ww2_poster_together.png

So its early February 1941 and the Axis forces composed of the Centauro Division, 3rd Panzer Divsion and around 25,000 Italian troops of the remainder of the Tenth Army face the British 7th Armoured Division and the Australian 6th Infantry Division along with a number of smaller units attached.
Who will win?

IIRC In 1940 the British Burglarized the Italian Embassy in Egypt and stole all the Italian Codes. This allowed the British to read the Italian Mail almost faster than the Italians could.
Add in the Enigma decoding, and the British should know exactly what is headed for Malta.

IIRC In 1940 the British Burglarized the Italian Embassy in Egypt and stole all the Italian Codes. This allowed the British to read the Italian Mail almost faster than the Italians could.
Add in the Enigma decoding, and the British should know exactly what is headed for Malta.

Well it is a given fact they do based on German codes and that will play a part in my timeline.
The Germans also had a lot of information of British moves in North Africa through intercepts of an American in Cairo.

wow so much to read but I am really enjoying this timeline and I am so hoping that the British will be able to give a true beating to the Italians and Germans in Africa much earlier