Jewish Homeland in South America

Well, if by "homeland" you mean an independent Jewish State, probably nowhere unless the UK or the Netherlands try to settle jews in the guyanas or the Falklands. No idea how many Jews would want to settle there, though. All South American countries except Guyana and Suriname were already independent by 1900 and wouldn't cede part of their sovereign territories unless forced by a war.

If you mean, though, countries which would receive them as immigrants, Argentina has a couple thousands jews and many more could have arrived, either here or to any other South American country attracting immigrants, should have been a reasons for Jews to emigrate in mass to South America. Instead of, for instance, to Israel or the USA.

maverick

Banned
Argentina did receive lots of Jews during the 1940s, and Peron enjoyed a very good relation with the Jewish community, but I don't think he or any other President would be willing to give Patagonia to the Jews, and I don't think that the arch-Catholic ultra-Nationalist Society of the 1940s would either.

The Dominican Republic offered to take as many Jews as they could get because they wanted as many whites as they could get but most Jews didn't want to go there because they saw it as a backward cesspit.

voice

Banned
i always thought australia would work. Not the whole thing, obviously, but a fairly big chunk could be given to make a reasonably big jewish homeland, to accomodate a few million jews.

Hendryk

Banned
Baron Hirsch, an early supporter and financial backer of Zionism, bought large tracts of land in Argentina in the hope of setting up a Jewish homeland. At the time of his death in 1896 about a thousand Jewish families had settled there. If he lives longer, the project might be carried through and become self-sustaining.

Happened to see something very interesting on TV about this the other day - forgotten what he was called, but a Jewish representative from New York toured Germany in the late 1930s attempting to get German Jews to emigrate to South America. A fair few ended up spread around in Peru and other countries - it's probably too late a POD for a proper homeland, but still interesting.

You could have a 'classic' sitcom situation with a Jewish village located next door to a village of fugitive Nazis.