The Map Thread for Turtledove's Great War/Southern Victory series

Thande

Donor
As the name suggests, this is a map thread for Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series (sometimes called 'the Great War series', even though the Great War is just one trilogy within the series).

Specifically, this consists of maps from before and after the Great War.

Only North America can be shown with absolute accuracy - everything else is partial guesswork as Turtledove rarely mentions the rest of the world.

Key/legend should be mostly obvious, but bear in mind that a paler version of one colour = occupied/territory, and an even paler shade means a puppet state of a country (e.g. Quebec and Ireland for the USA, Poland for Germany).

So I'll start with North America - 1914 and 1925.

North America change.GIF

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
And here is a rather more conjectural one for Europe (based on Turtledove's description, which is why there are some oddities such as no French territory lost to Germany and no German puppets in Finland or the Baltic).

Europe change.GIF

Thande

Donor
And this is Asia - note how Japan has gobbled up the possessions of France and Holland. (If this map is poor resolution, it's because it's actually two maps pushed together).

Asia change.GIF

Thande

Donor
Before and after Africa (these maps are all 1914/1925 - 1925 because it's by that point that all the ramifications have died down, although I think the Russian Civil War may still be ongoing)

Africa change.GIF

Thande

Donor
I knew I should have posted this in the main discussion forum - no-one ever comes here. :(

I'm not sure if Portugal is a Kingdom or Not... I suppose it could go either way.
However, these are great maps!

And you left out Andorra on your country list .

Diamond

Banned
Yes, good job, Thande! Are you planning to add maps showing major battles of the Great War, and ones showing the course of altWW2?

Thande

Donor
Imajin said:
And you left out Andorra on your country list .

Why am I not surprised you noticed? :) Okay, mea culpa.

About Portugal: I think it depends on whether it was neutral or Allied in the war - it was Allied in OTL but I've got it as neutral here, as I'm assuming it wouldn't have weighed in. Greece is also a bit debatable.

Thande

Donor
Diamond said:
Yes, good job, Thande! Are you planning to add maps showing major battles of the Great War, and ones showing the course of altWW2?

I'm not sure...the only battles we really know about are the ones in America (apart from the occasional one mentioned in Europe, e.g. Verdun in GW1 and Hamburg in GW2)

Thande

Donor
Thank you, Ivan, but can I point out that my name is spelled with an N? I am not the general from Planet of the Apes. :)

Thande

Donor
Here is a map showing the power blocs in the Great War 1914-1917. Red = the Entente, blue = the Alliance, yellow = neutral

Power blocs 1914.GIF

Thande

Donor
...and one showing them in 1941 (note that Brazil has neutralised as stated in the text, and I've taken the liberty of doing the same for Siam).

Copy of 1925.GIF