WI Union troops in Texas

What if Houston had accepted Col. Lander's offer for 50,000 Union troops to try and prevent Texas secession. How would such a campaign go? What affect would this have on the war as a whole?

Are 50,000 troops available and can they actually get there? That sounds surprising to me.

Are 50,000 troops available and can they actually get there? That sounds surprising to me.
From wikipedia:
He was replaced by Lieutenant Governor Edward Clark. To avoid more bloodshed in Texas, Houston turned down U.S. Col. Frederick W. Lander's offer from President Abraham Lincoln of 50,000 troops to prevent Texas's secession, stating in his response, "Allow me to most respectfully decline any such assistance of the United States Government."

Anaxagoras

Banned
If Lincoln was only able to raise 35,000 troops to the First Battle of Manassas, how the hell is going to raise 50,000 for the suppression of the secession of Texas? More to the point, how the hell are they going to get there?

Very doubtful that this ever happened.

Texas seceded before Lincoln even was sworn in as president and the entire standing US Army fielded 16,000 regulars on paper at the time so this would require Lincoln to offer a force more than three times he had at war's beginning to prevent something which had already happened.

There are many reasons why Texas was mostly bypassed in the Civil War. Distance, lack of strategic need, size of the target, relative lack of rails, severely hot and dry weather, large amount of Indian activity in the north and west, and support to the Confederates from Maximillian in Mexico. I'm sure there are many more to be found. Even if an ASB provided those 50,000 phantom soldiers, Lincoln would simply use them in Virginia.