The Falklands War: In 1774

Faeelin

Banned
1765, the British settled West Falkland Island. The Spanish send a force
in 1770 to kick them out, the garrison leaves on July 14th.

After a threat of war, cooler heads prevail, and the British keep the west
island. They eventually withdraw in 1774, while retaining a claim to the
island.

Suppose a war actually breaks out? (Heck, if Britain will go to war over
Jenkin's ear, they'll go to war over an unprovoked attack upon British
colonies).

We can assume France, being the people who sold the rights to Spain for the
islands initially, and as bourbons, probably support it.

Does this flare up into a general european war? (Probably not: Prussia,
Austria, and Russia are focused on poland as of this time).

More importantly, the effects of a colonial war on france and britain. OTL
the british were ending some colonial taxes in 1769 and 1770, for fear of a
war; if an actual war breaks out, it's a tossup between heavier taxation and
doing everything to ensure they don't revolt.

And, of course, the first whiff of powder will send France into
bankruptcy...

Well, if France does join the war, which I doubt, all that would probably happen is that it looses Luisiana, Hati, and Guiana. They didn't have the foreign manpower to fight a colonial war. There might be an uprising in Qubec, but it almost certainly would be brought down by the
British and colonial troops. There might be generall peasant revolts in France, but I doubt an all out revolution could happen in France before the American example. My guess is that this war would give possible chances for exstra heroism for people like Benidict Arnold and George Washington, along with possibly politicians such as Patrick Hemry. If the colonists really do help conquer enough territory, Britian would probably give into their demands, lower taxes, and give them reppresentation like they did for later dominions.

As for the Spainish, they don't even stand a chance. :cool:

Faeelin

Banned
reformer said:
Well, if France does join the war, which I doubt, all that would probably happen is that it looses Luisiana, Hati, and Guiana. They didn't have the foreign manpower to fight a colonial war. There might be an uprising in Qubec, but it almost certainly would be brought down by the
British and colonial troops.

France didn't own Louisiana at this point. Spain did; in fact, the British plans called for an attack on New Orleans.

Could this ATL, or Battlefield in 1774 be limited to the Falkland Islands. No large European War, just a small colonial war?

Sorry, i wasn't aware of the exact date when the french took Luisiana. Still i think colonial victories against the Spainish might have created more of a chance for reconciliation. The colonies would become much more popular in Britian for one thing, and may be given a status similar to Dominion.

I doubt that the war would be fought in Europe, but it would probably be fought in the mid west, the carribean, much of South America, along with the Falkans. In fact, the Spainish could have lost tons of land. I wonder whatthe British would have done with a large chunk of Latin America. . .