Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Excerpted from “Daoism in China: The Ming Years,” by Clifford Smith.

- Daoism flourished during the early Ming period. The most prominent exemplar of this trend was the Yongle (永乐) Emperor’s decision in 1412 to rebuild the temple complex in the Wudang Mountains of northwest Hubei (湖北) Province. It is unclear exactly what prompted this move on the part of the emperor; he was not an adherent of Daoism (道教), which indeed had been on the wane in the later years of the Mongol Yuan Dynasty. Many contemporary scholars have argued that Yongle, who usurped the throne from his nephew the Jianwen (建文) Emperor, wished to make a gesture to the Daoist faith - which his father, the Hongwu (洪武) Emperor, had followed - in order to establish himself in the eyes of the populace as being under the protection of the gods. Whatever the reason may have been, vast amounts of manpower and money were poured into the reconstruction of the Wudang Temple complex. During a fifteen-year period between roughly 1412 and 1427 CE, no fewer than nine palaces, nine large temples, thirty-six nunneries, and seventy-two smaller temples were built on and around 武当山 (Wudang shan, or Mount Wudang, which is in fact a series of peaks). Yongle himself proclaimed Wudang as the “Great Mountain,” and announced that the patron deity of the complex would be 玄武 (Xuan Wu, or “Perfected Martiality”). It is notable that Xuan Wu is a patron deity of martial artists, although it is important to remember that much of Wudang Mountain’s reputation as a hotbed of martial arts is inflated; most of the Daoist sages and priests that resided in the Wudang complex were practitioners of 内丹术 (nei dan shu, or “internal alchemy”), a variety of Daoism concerned foremost with harnessing meditation to unite the yin () and yang () energies and prolong life. While there were adepts of martial arts that resided in the Wudang complex, it is important to resist the lure of “pop history” and focus on the facts. Even after the passing of the Yongle Emperor, the Wudang complex retained its importance. Indeed, it was the subject of no fewer than three hundred and sixty-nine Imperial edicts during the years of the Northern Ming. In 1552 the Jiajing (嘉靖) Emperor ordered the refurbishment of the complex, which took almost two years. Thousands of priests, sages, and their followers lived in and around the complex, which occupied almost four thousand hectares of land. (1)

Excerpted from “The Collapse of the Northern Ming,” by Russell Jones.

- Although the Northern Ming Dynasty (北明朝) had been in decline for at least a generation, their downfall and collapse was shockingly sudden. The reasons for the decline of the Northern Ming were many; the cause of their downfall was the Jurchen people of the north. Under the leadership of the dynamic Nurhaci Khan, the previously fractious Jurchen tribes were united; under the leadership of Nurhaci’s successor, the Hong Taiji, the Jurchens further expanded their power and threatened the Northern Ming capital of Beijing itself. Yet the final blow to the Northern Ming came not from the Jurchen but from Li Zicheng (李自成), the bandit leader whose forces had been growing in the mountain fastness of Shanxi (山西) Province for fifteen years. When Li moved on Beijing in April of 1644, capturing the city, he forced General Wu Sangui (吴三桂) to abandon Shanhaiguan (山海关), the pass that blocked the Jurchens from China proper. With the border undefended the Jurchen invaders swept down past the Great Wall, taking Beijing for themselves in June.

With the capital taken and the Chongzhen (崇祯) Emperor dead - he had hung himself from a tree in Beihai Park - many Northern Ming loyalists fled to the four directions. Others, most notably Wu Sangui, signed on with the Jurchens, preferring the foreigners to the not-so-tender mercies of Li Zicheng. The Jurchens (henceforth referred to as 清朝, or the Qing Dynasty) moved against Li Zicheng’s rebel forces first, judging them as the most proximate threat to their newly-won hegemony. Li first fled to Xi’an, where he was defeated by Qing forces in the spring of 1645; he then fled south, entering Hubei Province and crossing the Han River in an attempt to evade his pursuers. Elements of the Qing military caught up quickly, and after a brief battle, Li continued his flight south; he died in the summer.

The aforementioned “brief battle” would have been lost to history were it not for its location - in the historic Wudang Temple complex (2). Several hundred members of the community were killed, and the historic Purple Cloud Temple was utterly destroyed in the conflict. In the wake of the action, as the armies moved south, the assorted sages, priests, nuns, and followers gathered to ponder what they had seen and learned. All under Heaven was in chaos; of this there was no doubt. Barbarian invaders had defiled the land, and destroyed a sacred temple. The sages thought long and hard. At first, it seemed as though a policy of non-interference would be embraced. Yet gradually, a new consensus began to emerge. Blood had been shed on hallowed ground; a temple had been destroyed; what would be next? And after all, was it not an emperor of Great Ming who had consecrated this sacred ground? Did the residents of the Wudang complex not owe their allegiance to his successors? Eventually, a decision was reached. The rest is history . . .

Excerpted from “Fact Sheet #4, Introduction to Chinese History,” by Professor Scheherazade Wang. Department of Oriental Studies, Cambridge University.

- Legend holds that there were nine founding members of the 武当派 (Wudang pai, trans. Wudang Clique or Wu-Tang Clan), the secret society dedicated to overthrowing the Jurchen Qing Dynasty and restoring their predecessors the Ming Dynasty to the Dragon Throne. Due to the paucity of accurate records extant from the period in question, modern historians have had difficulty verifying the exact identities and number of the founders. While revisionist historians have cast doubt on whether at least four of the traditional nine founders actually existed, most scholars are of the opinion that these nine men existed in some form, although their exact roles are uncertain. Following is a list of the nine founders, each of whom is known exclusively by his nom de guerre. (NB: This material could very well show up on your final exam!)

日砸 (Ri Za): The leader of the Wu-Tang Clan, Ri Za (most often translated as “Sun Crusher” or “Sun Pulverizer,” a reference to his apocryphal statement “We will crush the invaders with the power of the sun”) was the main impetus behind the secret society’s creation. His leadership of the group was far from absolute; decisions were often made by committee. Yet he was clearly “first among equals,” as it were.

哥砸 (Ge Za): So named due to the fact that he was Ri Za’s older cousin (the character means “elder brother”). It is believed that Ge Za, perhaps resentful of the outsized influence that Ri Za held, chose his nom de guerre as a playful reminder that in some ways he was senior to the Wu-Tang Clan’s de facto leader.

谋人 (Mou Ren): “Stratagem Man,” or sometimes translated as “Method Man.” So named due to his role as the primary battlefield commander of the Wu-Tang Clan, and a reference to 谋功 (mou gong, or “Attack by Stratagem,” third chapter of The Art of War) (3).

瑞空 (Rui Kong): Usually translated as “Auspicious Sky.” (Note that older systems of transliteration often render Rui Kong as Raekwon). His exact role in the Wu-Tang Clan is uncertain and often disputed.

鬼脸杀手 (Guilian Shashou): Translated as “Ghost-Face Killer,” or sometimes as “Devil-Face Killer,” a reference to the Jurchen Qing, who were considered to be “Qing devils” (请鬼子) by the Wu-Tang Clan. Ghost-Face Killer is also considered by modern historians to be the greatest practitioner of 说诗唱 (shuoshichang, or “spoken poem-song”), a style of writing popularized by the Wu-Tang Clan. (More on this in the next lecture!)

查板 (Cha Ban): Usually translated as “Inspector of the Deck,” or “Deck Inspector.” A reference to his status as the commander and architect of the Wu-Tang Clan’s riverboat navy, and his supposed mania for keeping the deck of his boat spotless.

你道 (Ni Dao): Translated variously as “You are the Dao,” “You, Dao,” or archaically as “You God.” A notorious riddler, Ni Dao is reputed to have been a master of disguise and concealment.

屠杀师傅 (Tusha Shifu): Most commonly translated as “Master Killer.” A reference to Master Killer’s supposed status as an adept of martial arts and as the foremost practitioner of hand-to-hand combat among all the members of the Wu-Tang Clan.

老脏坏蛋 (Lao Zang Huaidan): Translated as “Old Filthy Scoundrel,” or alternatively as “Old Dirty Bastard.” Supposedly an itinerant hermit who refused to bathe, he was renowned for his erratic behavior and his ferocity in battle.

Ri Za, Ge Za, Stratagem Man, Rui Kong, Ghost-Face Killer, Inspector of the Deck, You Dao, Master Killer, and Old Filthy Scoundrel: they were the Wu-Tang Clan.

NOTES
(1) This is all as per OTL.

(2) Here’s your POD. Li’s flight took him kind of close but not really near the Wudang complex in real life.

(3) Apropos of nothing, I’d love to hear a rational explanation for how 兵法 can be translated as The Art of War. Seriously, how do you get “art” out of ?

Subversive Panda, you are genius. :)

I really liked your Cultural Revolution tl, and I will be reading this one for sure.

maverick

Banned
I wholeheartadly approve. Suscribed.

Also let it be said that all your TLs are greatly written and most interesting. :)

Keenir

Banned

very neat.

though my first thought was sadly "what does an American rap group have to do with the Ming?"

(3) Apropos of nothing, I’d love to hear a rational explanation for how 兵法 can be translated as The Art of War. Seriously, how do you get “art” out of ?

um.....it looks like an A, has a crossbar like the top of a T, and the curve on the left side, could be the swinging leg of an R.

just a guess.

...or the first translator tried for the gist rather than a more accurate/literal translation.

maverick

Banned
(3) Apropos of nothing, I’d love to hear a rational explanation for how 兵法 can be translated as The Art of War. Seriously, how do you get “art” out of 法?

What would be a good translation?

This is utterly awesome, I approve heartily. Subscribed.

The thing with 法 and 'art' is the fact that the word art can be used as to mean 'method', so I think Art of War is probably the most elegant way to translate 兵法 into English. The Way of War could work, but sounds awkward. Just translating is as 'Tactics' or 'Strategy' could work, but might be misleading and not very expressive.

In German (my native language) the phrase word Kriegskunst (which is a combination of Krieg (War) and Art(Kunst)) is an established word which means: The use of different troops while considering the various economic and political circumstances, choosing battleground, preparing troops for the battle, considering your own position, deceiving the enemy and breaking his will to fight(Definition according to a lexicon).
Which is more or less what the book The Art of War about, so it makes sense to translate it as that.
As Kriegskunst is translated into Art of War (English), L'Art de la guerre (French) and Искусство войны (Russian) all of which yield "Art of War" if you translate them word by word I would say that the phrase Art of War exists in all european languages with the above meaning, which explaines why it is translated that way.

Hendryk

Banned
Looking forward to see where this will go. Your previous TLs were very well-made and this looks like it's going to be another enjoyable one.

I wholeheartadly approve. Suscribed.
Also let it be said that all your TLs are greatly written and most interesting. :)
This is utterly awesome, I approve heartily. Subscribed.
Looking forward to see where this will go. Your previous TLs were very well-made and this looks like it's going to be another enjoyable one.

Thanks, guys. It's very kind, especially considering that you three have written/are in the process of writing what are unquestionably the best East Asia-centric TLs around. I keep on meaning to leave some comments. Stupid reading! Why does it take so much time?

Apropos of nothing, I’d love to hear a rational explanation for how 兵法 can be translated as The Art of War. Seriously, how do you get “art” out of ?
um.....it looks like an A, has a crossbar like the top of a T, and the curve on the left side, could be the swinging leg of an R.
just a guess.
...or the first translator tried for the gist rather than a more accurate/literal translation.

Wow, that was kind of a total mindfuck . . .

"Dude, have you looked at 法 before? I mean, like, REALLY looked at it?"

What would be a good translation?
The thing with 法 and 'art' is the fact that the word art can be used as to mean 'method', so I think Art of War is probably the most elegant way to translate 兵法 into English. The Way of War could work, but sounds awkward. Just translating is as 'Tactics' or 'Strategy' could work, but might be misleading and not very expressive.

I completely agree that "tactics" or "strategy" won't cut it. Likewise, "method" is a little strained, and "way" is very misleading. But I also think that "art" is a bit much as a translation for 法. It's just my opinion, but I've always thought that The Laws of War would make more sense.

I see no matter where they maybe, The Wu-Tang Clan ain't nutin to fuck wit. :D.
Alright, thank God someone else thought that.

Whether in 20th century New York or 17th century Hubei, the Wu-Tang Clan most definitely is nothin' to fuck with. I plan to have lots of fun with this in future installments, although I've already given up on coming up with an equivalent to "C.R.E.A.M."

Hopefully this will continue to be interesting and fun going forward. It has an element of goofiness about it, to be sure, but this is also a chance to explore some what-ifs of the Southern Ming/early Qing/Three Feudatories period, which was really a fascinating time in Chinese history (although admittedly one that you wouldn't want to live through). Next I'll try to introduce some more of the major players - bandits, Ming, Qing, and everyone in between - as well as giving a more detailed description of the Wu-Tang Clan's early exploits. Stay tuned . . .

Oww, it's so corny it hurts, but I'm loving it! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do here - you've opened up all kinds of posabilities.

Also, your "study guide" format was pretty clever, and ads a nice touch of color while also presenting the information very clearly.

Oh, and in my opinion "Art of War" just sounds cooler than "Law of War", and probably sells more books. And your question reminded me of the word "书法" which by most people's reckoning is more art than "law", in spite of that second character.

Thanks, guys. It's very kind, especially considering that you three have written/are in the process of writing what are unquestionably the best East Asia-centric TLs around. I keep on meaning to leave some comments. Stupid reading! Why does it take so much time?

I totally understand about the time it takes to read through things, but I hope you get around to it. I'm always looking forward to more commentary, particularly from experts :D

Excerpted from “The Story of the Glorious Sword of the Wu-Tang Clan,” by Gao Feiyang. (1)

- The fearsome and ruthless bandit king Shen Guang (2) made his encampment outside the town of Laohekou. He ruled over lands of a thousand li with vicious resolve. All the peasants and shopkeepers shrank before Shen Guang. His voracious hordes, that knew not the Dao, heaped injuries upon the people, who wished only to live in harmony with the land. It is said by the chroniclers that every tenth day Shen Guang would summon the people of Laohekou to the market square. That warlord would then order the beheading of five villagers, for no other reason than cruel caprice, and his war-bands would pass the remainder of the day drinking wine and kicking the severed heads around the market square for their own sport.

Huang Zhen, the General of the bandit king Shen Guang’s war-bands, said: “In the forests and mountains lives the Wu-Tang Clan. They are much beloved by the people, and take no conscious action in accordance with the Dao.”

The bandit king Shen Guang said: “Then they are not fearsome.”

Huang Zhen said: “Their warriors are masters of Shaolin shadowboxing, and the Great Sage Ri Za is guardian of the Wu-Tang Sword.”

Shen Guang said: “Shaolin shadowboxing and the Wu-Tang sword style. If what you say is true, the Wu-Tang Clan could be dangerous.”

The bandit king Shen Guang marshaled his war-bands and led them to the foot of Wudang Mountain. In accordance with the Dao, the Nine Masters of the Wu-Tang Clan took no conscious action. Thus nothing was left undone. The war-bands of Shen Guang attacked the hallowed temples of Wudang Mountain, because they were ignorant of the gods. Then the great war-chief Method Man led the Righteous and Purifying Army into the fray.

Shen Guang gave a shout. “Do you think your Wu-Tang Sword can defeat me?”

Then Method Man gave a shout. “On guard! I’ll let you try my Wu-Tang style!”

After that, Method Man smote Shen Guang and killed the bandit king. Thus the Wu-Tang Clan won the clash of arms, and defeated the bandit king Shen Guang. Ten thousand heads were taken. The Wu-Tang Clan fell to celebrating the great victory. Then Great Sage Ri Za gave a shout.

Ri Za said: “Remember the words of Master Lao. Sharp weapons are inauspicious instruments. Everyone hates them. Therefore the man of the Dao is not comfortable with them. Victory is never sweet.”

Then the warriors of the Wu-Tang Clan lowered their heads in recognition of the wisdom of Great Sage Ri Za.

Excerpted from “Disciples of the 36 Chambers: A New History of the Wu-Tang Clan,” by Lamont Hawkins.

- In government as well as in natural science, it is a truism that nature abhors a vacuum. As had so often been the case in the wake of dynastic collapse, the demise of the Northern Ming produced such a vacuum. As the new power, the Jurchen Qing Dynasty, rushed to consolidate their claims, a host of other actors scrambled to extract what they could from the confused situation. The concatenation of forces arrayed against the Qing can be crudely subdivided into three categories: bandits, princes and priests. Even after the death of Li Zicheng in 1645, peasant rebel armies continued to maraud across the countryside. These forces were especially strong in the West; the case of Zhang Xianzhong is but one example. In the south, Ming loyalists attempted to unite around a candidate who could return them to the Dragon Throne; the Prince of Fu was the first worthy to be handed this poisoned chalice. Meanwhile, new religious orders were emerging, bent on overthrowing the Qing and restoring the Ming to power. We will deal with the millenarian Buddhist White Lotus sect shortly; for now, let us turn our attention to the Wu-Tang Clan (3).

After forming the Wu-Tang Clan, the community of the Wudang Temple Complex first moved to secure the area around their base of operations. The passage of Li Zicheng’s retreating army and their Qing pursuers had caused great chaos in northwest Hubei, and a variety of footpads and small bandit groups had proliferated in the region. The Wu-Tang forces crushed these opponents easily, aided by their larger numbers and superior organization, and then moved into larger towns along the Hanshui River, including Danjiangkou and Laohekou. It seems that in general they were welcomed by the villagers and townspeople, who viewed the Wu-Tang as the means through which order could be restored and normal life resumed. The Wu-Tang complex was also a well-known presence in northwest Hubei, and the Wu-Tang’s status as locals rather than as outsiders further endeared them to their new subjects. And subjects was what they were, even if everyone was careful not to state the fact in so many words. Upon entering a town or village and assuming control, the Wu-Tang Clan would appoint a (sheng, or sage), who would administer the area as a magistrate of sorts. The sage would typically be a local Daoist luminary, or, if none existed, would be a member of the local landed elite.

The nerve center of Wu-Tang power was, quite naturally, Wudang Mountain itself. Here decisions were made by the governing authorities of the Wu-Tang Clan - Ri Za, Ge Za, Stratagem Man, Old Filthy Scoundrel, You Dao, Inspector of the Deck, Master Killer, Ghost-Face Killer, and Rui Kong. It is uncertain exactly how the decision-making process worked in the Clan’s earliest days; in early 1646, the system was revised and a three-tiered table of bureaucratic ranks was created. 小圣 (Xiaosheng, or Lesser Sage) controlled individual towns, 中圣 (Zhongsheng, or Middle Sage) controlled county-level areas, and 大圣 (Dasheng, or Great Sage) acted as emissaries and as roving troubleshooters. At the top of the pyramid were the Nine Masters (九位师傅), each of whom had a clearly defined area of responsibility - Stratagem Man led the army, Inspector of the Deck the navy, Rui Kong served as the chief diplomat, etc. The Wu-Tang chose to focus on moving southward - it was believed (correctly) that other Ming loyalists also lay in this direction - and throughout 1645 and 1646 extended their domains south towards the Chang River and the three cities of Wuchang, Hankou, and Hanyang (4), control of which was needed to shore up the Clan’s finances, which were increasingly strained. It was their move towards these three cities that brought them to the attention of the Qing at last . . .

In the early months and even years of their ascent, the Wu-Tang Clan was aided immeasurably by the chaos that was the order of the day. It has become a popular parlor game among some of our more disreputable historians to speculate on what might have happened had the Qing moved swiftly to crush the Wu-Tang Clan. Naturally, what these “alternate historians” leave conveniently unsaid is the fact that it would have been the height of foolishness for the Qing to devote significant resources to crushing what was then a small religious order confined to northern Hubei. After all, they had many more pressing worries to occupy their minds. The loyalty of some of their greatest generals - notably Wu Sangui - was by no means assured. In Nanjing, the Southern Capital, Ming loyalists had gathered to name Zhu Yousong, Prince of Fu, as the Hongguang Emperor, first sovereign of the Southern Ming. And in the west, bandit leader Zhang Xianzhong had invaded and occupied the vast province of Sichuan, establishing a capital in the city of Chengdu and proclaiming himself as Hegemon-King of the State of Ba (巴国霸王). . .

NOTES
(1) This is a chronicle written by a Wu-Tang scribe, so it’s quite clearly biased. It’s intended to sound like a 17th century history, so it may seem a bit stilted.

(2) Not an OTL character. There were endless numbers of petty bandit leaders roving about during this time (Gao Feiyang vastly overstates the importance of Shen Guang). And while I’m not averse to doing research, I draw the line at digging through four hundred year old archives for the identity of minor bandits of northern Hubei.

(3) I’ll get into the big picture more in the next post.

(4) These 3 cities were later amalgamated to form Wuhan.

* Next up, a look at what megalomaniac warlord Zhang Xianzhong is up to. How crazy was he? Here’s how crazy:

天生万物以养人 (Heaven has brought forth numberless things for the support of Man)
人无一德以报天 (Man has not one virtue with which to recompense Heaven)
杀杀杀杀杀杀杀 (Kill kill kill kill kill kill kill)

maverick

Banned
A Most interesting chapter. :)

(2) Not an OTL character. There were endless numbers of petty bandit leaders roving about during this time (Gao Feiyang vastly overstates the importance of Shen Guang). And while I’m not averse to doing research, I draw the line at digging through four hundred year old archives for the identity of minor bandits of northern Hubei.

(3) I’ll get into the big picture more in the next post.

Understandable... and yay

* Next up, a look at what megalomaniac warlord Zhang Xianzhong is up to. How crazy was he? Here’s how crazy:

天生万物以养人 (Heaven has brought forth numberless things for the support of Man)
人无一德以报天 (Man has not one virtue with which to recompense Heaven)
杀杀杀杀杀杀杀 (Kill kill kill kill kill kill kill)
:D:D

Oh, Good ole Zhang Xianzhong...

Interesting developments, good stuff.

Zhang Xianzhong is definately a figure that could be well-used in a TL, I was almost about to use him in mine (with him ending up as the fearsome warlord of Burma in the end) but I decided butterflies would likely mean he would never have been born. I somewhat regret it actually :D So I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him.