Russian Iceland, Greenland and Svalbard

What do you think in which phase of history Iceland, Greenland and Svalbard could have come part of Russia.

What would have been influence to the future. I think that Iceland would have been the most important of those three, however.

Well, Britain and France would definitely oppose any attempt from Denmark to sell Iceland and Greenland to Russia. Would they be willing to go for a naval war though? Don´t know, Iceland´s southern part has many suitable ports that can be used all year long... but since they´re not connected to the russian mainland in case of war they´d be quickly isolated. But still, I suppose it could be a potential base.

If they manage to hold them into the Cold War that's really going to screw things up regarding the GIUK gap, Soviet ability to base their subs out of the southern Icelandic ports Fabilius mentioned would be a serious threat to US reinforcements being shipped to West Germany. Not sure what sort of knock on effects that might have.

If they manage to hold them into the Cold War that's really going to screw things up regarding the GIUK gap, Soviet ability to base their subs out of the southern Icelandic ports Fabilius mentioned would be a serious threat to US reinforcements being shipped to West Germany. Not sure what sort of knock on effects that might have.

I doubt their would be a Cold War (atleast not the one we had) if Russia controlled Iceland and Greenland.

I doubt the Soviets would control Iceland and Greenland after the Revolution.

If there's a Revolution.
in the event it goes along the lines of OTL, then the British seizes Iceland, Canada seizes Greenland, and Norway gets Svalbard, and maybe any surviving Royals can flee to it.

If there's a Revolution.
in the event it goes along the lines of OTL, then the British seizes Iceland, Canada seizes Greenland, and Norway gets Svalbard, and maybe any surviving Royals can flee to it.
It's likely problematic, but I'm suddenly imagining a scenario where Russia buys Iceland at some unspecified point, and then after the Russian Revolution Iceland becomes like an early 20th-century version Taiwan, with conflicts between recent arrivals who came with the monarch, Russians who had been there beforehand, and whatever's left of the original Icelanders playing the role of the native Taiwanese...

Russian Svalbard is plausible. Russians had a presence there since XVI century at least though it often was not very strong. Still if no Revolution happened, Svalbard may officially become Russian territory in XX century instead of Norwegian. Russia still has a settlement there OTL.

As for Iceland and Greenland it's more difficult. Probably different Napoleonic wars could achieve this. For example a full alliance between Napoleon and surviving Paul I of Russia defeats Britain while Denmark either supports Britain and loses of forced to sell Iceland and Greenland to Russia. Svalbard also may come into Russian posession.

Another option is some exotic Norse-Russian state uniting North Russia and parts of Scandinavia (Ruric and his heirs do not go south to Kiev, but remain in close contact with Scandinavia). This "Rus" could take posession over Iceland and Greenland in medieval times.

It's likely problematic, but I'm suddenly imagining a scenario where Russia buys Iceland at some unspecified point, and then after the Russian Revolution Iceland becomes like an early 20th-century version Taiwan, with conflicts between recent arrivals who came with the monarch, Russians who had been there beforehand, and whatever's left of the original Icelanders playing the role of the native Taiwanese...

I like the sound of that, would make a pretty interesting TL.