Falkland factors saves Callaghan

WI Argentina had invaded the Falklands 4 years earlier. There is no doubt in my mind that Britain would still have fought. In OTL Michael Foot was enthusiastic for military action.

I assume the outcome would be the same. Of course there are issues of luck which could have been different but it is likely that Sunny Jim would have a great triumph.

I can't remember anything about the exacts and a quick check of wikipedia throws nothing up (I've none of my books here) but IIRC wasn't there an invasion scare in the 70s? Under Wilson I think.
The British sent word to the Argentinians through low key channels that there was a nuclear submarine in the area though and the Argentines thought better of it.
Give them more balls in the 70s or have someone in Britain think the reports are just a load of rubbish and.....

Videla didn't intend to go to war, neither with Chile or the UK. Even Galtieri wasn't behind the Falklands war, but admiral Anaya was*. However, we could assume a different leadership behind the 1976 coup, or an ATL coup or presidency (say, a competent VP runs with Peron), so we reach 1978 with hardliners in the Argentine Navy pushing for war against the UK instead of Chile. And this thread can kick off.

* Anaya offered support to Galtieri's overthrow of the previous dictator, Viola, in exchange for invading the islands. Galtieri, being the idiot he was, jumped to the offer.

The point, from the point of view of the Argentine dictatorship, of seizing the Falklands/ Malvianas was that it would be a Nationalist triumph. Now had the regime made that judgement, combined with an error thinking that a minority administration in Britain would react weakly.

Riain

Banned
The HMS Ark Royal, with Phantoms and Buccaneers, was still in service in 1978. I'd predict a whitewash in any conflict at that time.

While at the same time, the Argentinean Air Force was still flying Sabres and had yet to receive the Mirage IIIs and Neshers, let alone the Super Etandard for the Navy.

Cook

Banned
So a Falklands War in 1978?

No HMS Invincible then, she was not commissioned until 1980.

And Ark Royal was decommissioned in 1978.

So if the Junta timed it right you’d have to deploy a Task Force South with only one Carrier, HMS Hermes.

Riain

Banned
Ark sailed in for the last in December 78 and decomissioned in Feb 79, so would have been ready all the way up to March 1980 if the call was important enough.

So a Falklands War in 1978?

No HMS Invincible then, she was not commissioned until 1980.

And Ark Royal was decommissioned in 1978.

So if the Junta timed it right you’d have to deploy a Task Force South with only one Carrier, HMS Hermes.
HMS Bulwark was available prior to 9th November 1979 (when a fire damaged the ship). It was an ASW carrier during this period, but also trialed the Sea Harrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bulwark_(R08)#1970s_and_1980s