Land of the Honeybees: The History of Deseret

I've been lurking for far too long, so I figured to get off my lurking streak and actually do something productive: a TL. I can't write decent narratives, so I'll just write it boring history-book style, since I'm already quite accustomed to writing like that IRL. I also don't really know that much about the history of the LDS, so I doubt it'll be the most realistic TL...but still...yeah.

~~~

Land of the Honeybees

Chapter One: The Exodus

The Death of Joseph Smith: On June 27th, 1844, an angry mob marched toward the local jail in Carthage, Illinois, with plans that would prevent Joseph Smith Jr.'s upcoming trial. Although most contemporary historians attribute the violence to the mob members, some place the blame upon Smith and his compatriots. Regardless of the original provocation, by the end of the day, five mob members were injured, Joseph Smith Jr. was dead, his brother Hyrum Smith injured by a shot to the shoulder, and two more of his companions wounded.

The Second President of the Church: The Church of Latter-Day Saints was left in dire straits after the death of Joseph Smith. Although Hyrum Smith, the clear successor to Joseph Smith, was still alive, he was heavily wounded from his injury at Carthage and was forced to rely on several other individuals to assist in the administration of the church. One such individual, Brigham Young, proved to be surprisingly influential. Young told Smith that the threat of even bloodier conflict loomed ahead, and suggested that the LDS Church and its congregation relocate to somewhere in the West. Although Smith agreed with the idea, he thought originally to put it off for a few more years, until reports that one member of his congregation had been murdered sparked a decision to go immediately.

The Flight Across the Sea: However, before Smith could finalize his decision to go, one Samuel Brannan approached Hyrum Smith. Brannan suggested that instead of taking a land-route to the west, the LDS congregation could take a ship and sail to the West Coast. Although vigorously opposed by Brigham Young, Smith ultimately heeded Brannan's suggestion, and organized for the vast majority of the LDS congregation to sail with William Brannan. Although the trip was grueling, with nearly one out of every thirty passengers dying, they arrived in Yerba Buena just before the New Year.

The Haven in Mexico: Although Young felt that the position could lead to future conflict, Smith endorsed the idea of settling the new community there. Although there were a handful of inhabitants, they were overwhelmingly outnumbered by the new pioneers, and for the most part, welcomed the commerce that the new residents brought. Although Young did not like the location, he still set out to improve it as much as possible. Brannan, although with motives difficult to ascertain, took upon actions to achieve the same goal. And so, the new pioneers started to sow the seeds of a community that would change the world...

Last edited:
Unless I am not understanding this right this is a Mormon wank right?
If you say yes you have my undivided attention.:D

Where in the Bay do they get permission to build? Or do they simply land there and go inland (like, say, near Sutter's Mill in large numbers)?

Yeah, Dathi. We're respecting, as well as enjoying, your Canada-wank so let Danmaku write without making such absurd suggestions as that.

Utah for a national homeland...:rolleyes:

;)

I wouldn't like to call it a LDSWank, but I guess you could classify it as one. Obviously, Deseret has to be somewhat wanky in order to well...exist, but I don't want to delve into ridiculous Draka-style success. I guess you'll be the judge of how well I do that.

Yeah, the LDS Church settled near what is roughly modern-day San Francisco, which at the time, was named Yerba Buena and had under a hundred residents. I am a resident of the area, and I chose it because I knew the geography well, and because in OTL, there were a small group of Mormons who moved there.

Like almost American settlers in the Mexican territories, they never really asked for permission...anyways, onto the second chapter. Thanks for all the comments.

~~~

Chapter Two: The Foundations of the Nation

The "Fertile" Crescent: Although LDS leaders claimed that the region around Yerba Beuna would prove to be a "new Fertile Crescent", it proved to be far less fertile than originally anticipated. The mild weather masked land that was surprisingly difficult to farm. As a result, many LDS members settled farms across the bay to the East, across the strait to the North, and on the peninsula to the south. Nevertheless, the largest settlement remained in Yerba Buena. Despite that, Yerba Buena was a highly useful port and LDS farmers were able to easily trade thanks to the strong LDS presence in Yerba Buena. Knowledge of their success soon trickled to other LDS communities, as more members, both new converts and older members, trickled toward Alta California. The population swelled immensely quickly as LDS members started settling across the entire bay.

Brannan the Builder: Despite the various action figures suggesting the opposite, Branann the Builder actually existed. Due to his personal fortune gained through the ownership of a New York newspaper, Samuel Brannan was able to easily commission the first newspaper in Alta California (modern day Deseret Magna), the California Star. In addition, Brannan's personal fortune cleared the land for what would eventually become the campus of Smith University.

Young the Evangelist: It was well known that soon after the settlement of Yerba Buena, there grew a significant rivalry between Sidney Rigdon and Brigham Young. Although the succession from Joseph to Hyrum was very clearly set, the succession after that was relatively poorly laid out. While we know now that Hyrum had already secretly designated a successor, that knowledge was not laid clear during the budding periods of Deseret. Rigdon suggested that Young lead an ambitious missionaries program abroad. Although a handful of missionaries already operated abroad, Rigdon proposed a massive missionary program in order to evangelize in many non-Christian pats of the world. In a rare instance of agreement, Young concurred. In 1846, Brigham Young left Yerba Buena with over two hundred missionaries, mostly with various destinations around Asia and the Pacific. He would never ever return to his homeland, yet few could deny his profound impact on the world...