WI Iceland farther south?

How would history unfold differently if the island of Iceland was 200 miles farther South, than it is in OTL?

Depends. Are you talking just Iceland or Iceland plus boundary between and placement of the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates?

It's not that simple
Different ocean currents, different climate, different race distribution, different civilizations

Making geographical changes is just too complex

You want an answer that will make you happy don't you?;)
Here's one :p

The Vikings got lost, no Greenland
But then again there might not be any vikings around

Instead the Scots took Iceland, sending them to Canada or something
If there were any Scots

Well, assuming Iceland itself just formed further South and the tectonic plates are the same..

In terms of climate their may or may not be that much difference.
I'm not sure it would interfere with the Thermohaline Circulation, but I suspect it's just out of its way.

Culturally, well the Vikings may find it, I mean it's not like it's really that far from OTL, though their may be more immigration from Caledonia and Ireland if its discovered earlier and a good travel route is found.

Iceland would be warmer and thus may have a higher population and would probably be much more important in Trans-Atlantic travel.

That's usually why Geographic WIs are usually in the ASB forum . But , for the purpose of a meaningful discussion , why don't we assume a butterfly net?

Ie : Climate is kept constant , human history remains unchanged until the first Irish Monks discover Iceland.

Stephen

Banned
200 miles south gives it a slightly warmer climate on par with the Faroes islands. As the Irish Monks only built monastries on the faroes Iceland still gets no breedng pairs of humans till the Norse. Iceland will grow a larger population and the sailing distance to Britain and Ireland will be a bit shorter. The sailing distance to the Greenland settlements will be the same. The higher Icelandic population might produce more setlers for Vinland but probly not enough to make much diference.

As Iceland contains no continental crust, only oceanic crust, and is entirely volcanic, putting it further south wouldn't really cause any major geologic butterflies. It would cause huge climactic ones.

It couldn't be located directly to the south however, as it formed as part of the Mid Atlantic Ridge. So it would be further to the west as well. Meaning it will be slightly harder for the Norse (assuming butterfly nets) to find, but I'm guessing they will anyway.

Would be much more interesting to make it substantially further south though. If you placed it midway between Galicia and Newfoundland you'd probably end up with the Portuguese settling it - and quite likely dominating North America.

How? Does this allow the "unnamed sea mammal" to happen?
Through Godwin's Law of Time Travel of course.

On a more serious note, I like the idea of placing it midway between Galicia and Newfoundland. Could make the Basques and Galicians discover it instead of the Norse or Irish. Possibly a Catholic Spanish (or Basque, I hope it's Basque :D) flight there when the Moors come knocking?

Doesn't this affect the Gulf Stream? You've just put a big island in between it and the Brit isles, I'd think you'd push it north and west. Maybe you've made Greenland warmer now, and the BI colder.

How? Does this allow the "unnamed sea mammal" to happen?

He's being a wise-ass. I know, it happens so rarely here on AH.com. :p

Through Godwin's Law of Time Travel of course.

On a more serious note, I like the idea of placing it midway between Galicia and Newfoundland. Could make the Basques and Galicians discover it instead of the Norse or Irish. Possibly a Catholic Spanish (or Basque, I hope it's Basque :D) flight there when the Moors come knocking?

That is absolutely the funniest thing I'm going to see all day.

Doesn't this affect the Gulf Stream? You've just put a big island in between it and the Brit isles, I'd think you'd push it north and west. Maybe you've made Greenland warmer now, and the BI colder.

He's being a wise-ass. I know, it happens so rarely here on AH.com. :p

Well obviously Iceland is going to have a better climate, and I could see the British Isles having much colder winters. I wonder if the changed gulf stream would make John Cabot land somewhere else along the North American coast. As to the matter of me being a "wise-ass", I plead the 5th.