All About My Brother: A Taiping Rebellion Timeline

First, the obligatory administrative stuff: I’ve never written a timeline before, so please be gentle when telling me how much I suck. This timeline will describe an alternate Taiping Rebellion, that being the civil war which tore China apart in the mid-19th century. I’ve never been much for the “1899: Important Thing Happened” style of alternate history, so I’m going to take a kind of history book approach to what happened, with occasional first-person bits. Additionally, there won’t be one big point when everything changes; rather, there will be a series of small unfortunate events (unfortunate if you’re a fan of the Qing Dynasty, that is). The real exciting stuff will start around 1850, but this post will mostly be about setting the stage for what’s to come. And . . . that’s it for the obligatory administrative stuff! So we begin.

Introduction: The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost, and the Other Guy

Excerpted from “Hong Xiuquan: The Man, the King, the God,” by Honda Keisuke. People’s University of Tokyo Press, 1979.

- 洪秀全 (Hong Xiuquan) was a man who could safely be discounted. For there were millions of others exactly like him. Born in the village of 福源水(Fuyuanshui) in Guangdong on January 1st, 1814 as 洪仁坤 (Hong Renkun), his parents, 洪兢扬 (Hong Jingyang) and 王氏 (Wang Shi) were members of the semi-proletariat middle-peasant class. Hong Xiuquan thus came of age under the thumb of the imperialist exploiting classes, who for centuries had held the laboring peasant masses in a state of feudal quasi-serfdom.

Hong was by all accounts a dutiful student, although his formal education was cut short at the age of fifteen, when his parents could no longer afford tuition fees. He continued studying on his own, and in 1836 traveled to the provincial capital of 广州 (Guangzhou) to take the civil service examinations. He returned home empty-handed, as did more than 95% of all those who attempted to earn degrees. Hong’s humble class origins worked against him; although examples of poor men who earned a degree and went on to fame and fortune were heavily publicized, in reality most of the degrees went to privileged scions of the reactionary elite classes. Hong sat the exams three more times, failing on each occasion. It was after his third failure that he had his first dreams, or “revelations” as they would later be called. Although previous scholarship has placed Hong Xiuquan in the role of proto-Marxist revolutionary, I will use a post-Modernist-neo-structuralist-anti-colonialist-deconstructo-formulistic Fourth Wave Marxism-Fukuzawaism (1) approach to argue that in fact, Hong was . . .

Excerpted from “The Birth of the Red Heresy,” by Paolo Bellucci. University of Florence Press, 1950. (2)

- In 1837, after failing the civil service examinations for the third time, Hong Xiuquan slipped into a fit of delirium, probably brought on by a combination of stress and shame. In the words of the famous Austrian psychoanalyst Adolf Hitler (3), it was “the panic attack that changed the world.” The series of dreams that Hong had in this state have been written about and dramatized a thousand times. This volume will content itself with the facts. Hong later claimed that in his dreams he saw an old man complaining that men were worshipping demons instead of him, followed by Confucius being tortured for his sins and then repenting. In his most vivid hallucination, Hong dreamt of being brought to heaven on the wings of angels and meeting a golden-bearded man who ordered him to rid the world of evil, after which he took out Hong’s organs and replaced them with new ones. Most critically, the bearded man addressed Hong as “Younger Brother.”

Hong saw no greater meaning in these dreams for six years, until in 1843 he failed the examinations for the fourth time. It was then that his cousin Li Jingfang gave him the book 劝世良言 (Quan shi liang yan, or Good Words to Exhort the World), a Christian tract by the writer Liang Afa. Thus was the Red Heresy born; Hong immediately connected the tenets of Christianity to his dreams from six years earlier. He saw himself as the adopted younger brother of Jesus Christ, who had been sent by God to rid China of Confucianism and found a new heavenly kingdom. Hong’s first converts were his cousins Feng Yunshan and Hong Rengan, who had also repeatedly failed the civil service examinations. After being forced out of their village by Confucians, the three men traveled to 广西 (Guangxi Province), where they began to preach and by 1850 had assembled a group of at least 10,000 converts, known as the 拜上帝会 (Bai Shangdi hui, or God-Worshippers Society).

Excerpted from “Bad Houseguests: The History of the Kejia People,” by Allison Seymour. New York: Goldman, Sachs and Company, 2002.

- Although much has been written about the religious dimensions of the Taiping Rebellion, relatively little mention has been given to its origins as an ethnically-based movement. In fact, Hong Xiuquan, his cousins, and the core of the Taiping army and administration were members of the 客家 (Kejia) minority. The 客家 (Kejia, or Hakka, literally meaning “guest people”) have a long and complicated history . . .

The earliest supporters of the Taiping Rebellion came not only from the Kejia, but from another prominent ethnic minority in Southern China – the 壮 (Zhuang) people. In effect the Taiping Rebellion began as an uprising by disaffected minority peasants, spurred into action by their charismatic leader.

NOTES
(1) This would be 福澤諭吉 (Fukuzawa Yukichi), who in the real world was an incredibly influential Japanese philosopher, educator, and political theorist. I have plans for him.

(2) Hong’s heterodox interpretation of Christianity has been dubbed “The Red Heresy” due to a mistake made by his former teacher, American missionary Issachar Jacox Roberts. As Hong’s fame grew, so too did Roberts’, and in 1858 he published a book detailing his experiences entitled My Name is Red. This title was chosen based on Roberts’ mistaken belief – his Chinese wasn’t that great – that the “Hong” in Hong Xiuquan was written with the character 红, which means red. In fact it’s written with the character 洪, which means vast or grand. Roberts was unaware of this fact, and even if he had been, My Name is Vast just doesn’t sound as good. Like all misunderstandings it spread rapidly, unchecked by the truth, and even today Hong Christianity is commonly referred to as the “Red Heresy,” and the Great Kingdom of Heavenly Peace is often simply known as “Red China.”

(3) I couldn’t resist. Sorry. Naturally I was going to write “the famous Austrian psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud,” but I thought of that other famous Austrian and immediately had a mental image of Hitler stroking his mustache and saying to some hapless patient, “So . . . tell me about your mother.”

* Careful readers will notice that everything so far pretty much happened in real life – there’s not too much alternate in this history yet. Sorry. I did it this way because the Taiping Rebellion isn’t as well known in the West as it might be, and thus I thought it was important to establish the context in which it occurred. Next update coming tomorrow.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Definitely looking forward to this with interest !

As a question on Chinese transliteration, I have wondered how Chi'ing became Qing, or was Chi'ing supposed to be pronounced with a hard "ch" ?

And whilst I can see the B/P confusion in Beijing/Peking, there is no similarity in the pronunciation of j and k, so how did Peking somehow become Beijing ?

Not at all relevant to your timeline, lol, but when I saw Qing I saw how I had written in my own timeline (Age of War) Chi'ing all the way through...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Hendryk

Banned
Nice beginning. Now I can't help hoping that the outcome will be a Taiping defeat followed by successful Chinese modernization. I've always seen Hong Xiuquan as an earlier version of Mao, who would have been as destructive to China if he had managed to take over.

BTW, where in Sichuan do you live?

Definitely looking forward to this with interest !

As a question on Chinese transliteration, I have wondered how Chi'ing became Qing, or was Chi'ing supposed to be pronounced with a hard "ch" ?

And whilst I can see the B/P confusion in Beijing/Peking, there is no similarity in the pronunciation of j and k, so how did Peking somehow become Beijing ?

Not at all relevant to your timeline, lol, but when I saw Qing I saw how I had written in my own timeline (Age of War) Chi'ing all the way through...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Originally, everyone used the Wade-Giles system of transliteration - that's your Ch'ing and Peking and so forth. After the Communists took over they decided that this system was crap, and hired a bunch of Eastern European types to come up with a new one. That new system is Hanyu Pinyin, which predominates today, and so Ch'ing becomes Qing and Peking becomes Beijing. Frankly, they're both awful. To take the Ch'ing/Qing and Peking/Beijing examples, Ch'ing is much closer to the actual pronunciation than Qing . . . but Beijing is much closer than Peking. There are some absolute clunkers in each system; for example, in pinyin the "ts" sound somehow comes out as "c." On the other hand, what sounds an awful lot like a "d" is rendered in Wade-Giles as a "t." Ultimately, the problem is that there are quite a few sounds in Chinese that really don't fit neatly into our alphabet. So what we're all left with is a choice between two rather wretched systems of transliteration. I personally prefer pinyin, simply because that's the one that I learned in school and that's the one used on the mainland (Taiwan uses Wade-Giles). Infuriating, isn't it?

Interesting. I assume since Hitler has a different career in TTL, the butterflies will severely affect Europe and that means a pretty big rock has been thrown into the pond, so to speak.

Keep up the good work.

(2) Hong’s heterodox interpretation of Christianity has been dubbed “The Red Heresy” due to a mistake made by his former teacher, American missionary Issachar Jacox Roberts. As Hong’s fame grew, so too did Roberts’, and in 1858 he published a book detailing his experiences entitled My Name is Red. This title was chosen based on Roberts’ mistaken belief – his Chinese wasn’t that great – that the “Hong” in Hong Xiuquan was written with the character 红, which means red. In fact it’s written with the character 洪, which means vast or grand. Roberts was unaware of this fact, and even if he had been, My Name is Vast just doesn’t sound as good. Like all misunderstandings it spread rapidly, unchecked by the truth, and even today Hong Christianity is commonly referred to as the “Red Heresy,” and the Great Kingdom of Heavenly Peace is often simply known as “Red China.”

"My Name is Vast" isn't all that far from 'My Name is Legion", which would, in fact, sound pretty good.

Oh, and subscribed.

Now this seems excellent. I don't know much about Chinese history, but I've never seen a truly successful attempt at a Taiping takeover. It's good to see somebody try it out.:)

The writing's pretty good too. I like the little touch of putting in the chinese characters and then adding their translation, it's unique.

I'll follow this.

"My Name is Vast" isn't all that far from 'My Name is Legion", which would, in fact, sound pretty good.

Oh, and subscribed.

Damn, that would sound pretty good. In all honesty, the whole thing was a rather long-winded attempt on my part at a shout-out to Orhan Pamuk, one of my favorite writers, who actually wrote a novel entitled "My Name Is Red."

Interesting. I assume since Hitler has a different career in TTL, the butterflies will severely affect Europe and that means a pretty big rock has been thrown into the pond, so to speak.

Keep up the good work.

Definitely. I have ambitions of taking the timeline worldwide, but will attempt to keep things focused on China, mostly because my knowledge of, say, European history is limited. And some of the things that I hint at in the "excerpts" might not actually happen - not entirely sure how I'm going to make Marxist Japan work, for example.

Nice beginning. Now I can't help hoping that the outcome will be a Taiping defeat followed by successful Chinese modernization. I've always seen Hong Xiuquan as an earlier version of Mao, who would have been as destructive to China if he had managed to take over.

BTW, where in Sichuan do you live?

I completely agree with you on Hong Xiuquan. The man was an absolute nutter, and I think things might even have been worse than Mao if he had taken control. I mean, the man actually believed that he was the younger brother of Jesus. Delusions of grandeur much?

And actually, I don't live in Sichuan. Sorry for being misleading - it just seemed to fit with the whole panda motif. In fact, I live in 黑龙江.

Excellent work so far, subversivepanda; I've read a couple of books about the Taiping Rebellion, (which was the bloodiest war in history before WW2) so I'll be very interested to see how this ATL turns out.

Hendryk

Banned
I completely agree with you on Hong Xiuquan. The man was an absolute nutter, and I think things might even have been worse than Mao if he had taken control. I mean, the man actually believed that he was the younger brother of Jesus. Delusions of grandeur much?
Hong is one of the reasons I came up with a theorem I'll tell you about sometime, with the help of a fellow AH.commer from Singapore. In any case, my favorite figures from that part of Chinese history would rather be among the founders of the Self-Strengthening Movement--Zeng Guofan, Li Hongzhang, you know. I hope they get their way in this TL.

And actually, I don't live in Sichuan. Sorry for being misleading - it just seemed to fit with the whole panda motif. In fact, I live in 黑龙江.
I'm sure if you made a survey, most people here would acknowledge the coolness of living in a place called Black Dragon River ;)

I think the Taiping Rebellion is just about the single most neglected major event of the 19th Century (and even of the 19th-20th combo!). I mean, the second most man-made deaths in world history! China doesn't do things small, huh!

That said, I'm very interested in seeing a TL on this. There are still not enough Asia-oriented Timelines at this site.

Taiping timeline told through history books, excellent! Subscribed.

I only learned about the Taiping Rebellion a few years ago and couldn't believe how overlooked it is compared to othe rparts of history, given its scope.

This TL has started out good.

Hendryk

Banned
I only learned about the Taiping Rebellion a few years ago and couldn't believe how overlooked it is compared to othe rparts of history, given its scope.
Indeed. Forty times the body count of the American Civil War, more dead than any war in human history until WW2, and Western history books treat it as a footnote.

Keenir

Banned
Looking good so far, and looking like it'll keep being great.

welcome to the Forum. you'll do fine.

question - is Charlie Soong* going to return to China with this going on? or will he stay in North Carolina preparing to be a missionary?

* = future father-in-law (in OTL) of Chiang Kai-shek.

First of all, an update on the next update, which was supposed to come today. Unfortunately work has intervened - I've gotten stuck translating a horrendously overwritten speech - and while I still hope to post the next update tonight, it might not happen until tomorrow.

Looking good so far, and looking like it'll keep being great.

welcome to the Forum. you'll do fine.

question - is Charlie Soong* going to return to China with this going on? or will he stay in North Carolina preparing to be a missionary?

* = future father-in-law (in OTL) of Chiang Kai-shek.

Thanks for bringing this up - it's a really interesting question, and one that I hadn't thought of at all. I suppose it's not too much of a secret that this timeline will feature a Taiping state in some form. I'm thinking that America will be more congenial to this state than most other Western countries. Hong Xiuquan's tutor was American, after all, and they're less likely to get hung up on the . . . unorthodoxies of the Taiping brand of Christianity. So Soong might very well return to China. I'll have to do some more research.

Hong is one of the reasons I came up with a theorem I'll tell you about sometime, with the help of a fellow AH.commer from Singapore. In any case, my favorite figures from that part of Chinese history would rather be among the founders of the Self-Strengthening Movement--Zeng Guofan, Li Hongzhang, you know. I hope they get their way in this TL.

Now that sounds interesting. I'd love to hear about this theorem (Hendryk's First Law?). One thing that I can state with complete certainty, though, is that Li Hongzhang and Zeng Guofan will be as awesome in this timeline as they were in real life.

Hendryk

Banned
Now that sounds interesting. I'd love to hear about this theorem (Hendryk's First Law?).
Here it is, quoted from the AH Wiki:
The Flocculencio-Hendryk Theorem of Comparative Praxis, elaborated, as its name implies, in cooperation with fellow scholar Flocculencio, explains why the Indian and Chinese worlds have reacted differently to the infusion of Western thought systems, specifically Christianity and Communism. In a nutshell, the theorem states that Indians are focused on metaphysical debate, and when faced with a given thought system, will be too busy intellectually picking it apart to do anything much with it. The Chinese, on the other hand, are focused on practical application, and will earnestly try to implement it with ruthless efficiency. As a consequence, while both Christianity and Communism have found safe and harmless niches in Indian culture, in China both have resulted in catastrophic outcomes and high body counts. This is one of the reasons why one should be extremely wary of any progress by fundamentalist Christianity in present-day Confucian societies, whether that of China, Korea or Singapore.

One thing that I can state with complete certainty, though, is that Li Hongzhang and Zeng Guofan will be as awesome in this timeline as they were in real life.
Excellent! A Qing China that successfully modernizes before the worst of foreign encroachment takes place will make for a very cool TL.

Part #1: Nobody Expects the Taiping Revolution!

Excerpted from “The Beginning of the Beginning: The Taiping Rebellion, 1851-53,” by Marmaduke Tickled-Pinkington. Cambridge University Press, 1983.

- The 太平天国 (Taiping tianguo, or Great Kingdom of Heavenly Peace) was proclaimed by Hong Xiuquan in January of 1851 from his power base in eastern Guangxi Province. Hong’s army, which now numbered more than 20,000 men and women, had been allowed to flourish unmolested by local Qing bureaucrats, who were spending much of their time and energy attempting to put down another rebellion, that of the 天地会 (Heaven and Earth Society) (1). By the time they noticed the clouds gathering overhead, the storm had already begun. On January 1st, 1851, Qing troops sallied forth in an attempt to crush the rebels at Jintian Village, only to be defeated in an ambush. Thus began the opening phase of the Taiping Rebellion, often known as the Jintian Uprising (金田超义). The two armies fought a series of engagements over the next six months, in which neither side was able to strike a decisive blow in the dense jungles of Guangxi. The Qing armies failed to destroy the rebels; likewise, the Taiping were unable to break out of Guangxi and strike north. However, the Jintian Uprising must on balance be regarded as a victory for the Taiping rebels, who merely by surviving attracted substantial popular support and gained needed materiel for the campaigns to come.

In 1852 the Taiping succeeded where they had failed the previous year and broke out of Guangxi, successfully conquering the city of 长沙 (Changsha, capital of Hunan Province) after a prolonged siege. The Army of Heavenly Peace – an oxymoron if there ever was one – continued their onslaught, taking the cities of 汉口 (Hankou) and 武昌 (Wuchang) in late 1852 and marching through the central 长江 (Chang River) valley on the way to their ultimate goal – 南京 (Nanjing), the Southern Capital (2).

Excerpted from “The Rape of Nanking,” by Rose Zhang. University of California Los Angeles Press, 1992. (3)

- One of the more overlooked atrocities in modern history happened in March of 1853, when Hong Xiuquan’s “Army of Heavenly Peace” entered and sacked the ancient city of Nanking. This enormous and disciplined band of fanatics swept aside all resistance, destroying the Qing defenders utterly and murdering at least 50,000 prisoners of war who had surrendered after the battle. The victorious legions of God’s second son then tore through the city itself, burning and killing indiscriminately as they went. One survivor later wrote: “Buckets of blood were spilled indiscriminately . . . I saw one group of them cutting [a man’s] organs out and feeding them to him . . . after three days of terror the skies roared and the rains begin to fall, as if even the gods themselves were saying ‘Enough.’ Only then was the blood and offal cleansed from the streets of Nanjing.” After the massacre was concluded, Hong Xiuquan declared Nanjing as the capital of the Great Kingdom of Heavenly Peace, renaming the city 天京 (Tianjing, or Heavenly Capital) and converting the residence of the local Qing administrator into his 天王府 (Tianwang fu, or Palace of the Heavenly King). Dark days had come to the Middle Kingdom, and even darker ones lay ahead . . .

Excerpted from “What If?: Conterfactuals That Could Have Changed the World,” edited by Scheherazade Wang and Rajiv Martinez. University of Antananarivo Press, 1966.

- In 1853 the Taiping were ascendant, having taken the city of Nanjing and extended their control over much of southern China. Their strength was mirrored by the weakness of the Qing, a dynasty in decline that was poised on the brink of disaster. What if the Taiping had taken advantage of the momentum they possessed and launched a campaign aimed at 北京 (Beijing) itself? It is highly possible – even probable – that the 清朝 (Qing Dynasty) would have crumbled before them. (4)

Hong Xiuquan chose a different approach, preferring to consolidate his gains and re-order the army and administrative structures of his fledgling kingdom. One of the greatest strengths of the rebellion lay in the Army of Heavenly Peace, which was organized, disciplined, and utterly fanatical. Known as the 长毛 (Changmao, or Long Hair) by their Qing adversaries, the army was drawn almost totally from the lower classes and even included female soldiers in combat roles, although units were strictly segregated by sex.

Naturally, the Taiping government was headed by Hong Xiuquan himself, who ruled as the Heavenly King from his palace in the newly-renamed city of 天京 (Tianjing). In a move that was little-noticed at the time, Hong chose to retire from the daily affairs of government in favor of spending more time receiving visions from God – a decision he would later live to regret. While Hong was still unquestionably the paramount leader of the kingdom, increasing amounts of power devolved upon five provincial rulers, who were themselves named as “kings” by Hong. Of these men, the first among equals was 杨秀清 (Yang Xiuqing), the 东王 (Eastern King) and de facto prime minister. Yang, a former firewood salesman, employed a vast network of spies and was known for his eagerness to amass as many titles as he could Yang’s archrival was 韦昌辉 (Wei Changhui), the 北王 (Northern King). The Southern and Western Kings, Feng Yunshan and Xiao Chaogui, both died in separate engagements in 1852; most of their power was taken by Yang Xiuqing, although some fell to 秦日刚 (Qin Rigang), the 燕王 (Yan wang, or Swallow King). Finally, there was 石达开 (Shi Dakai), the rebellion’s most capable general, who was given the title 翼王五千岁 (Yi wang wuqiansui, or the Wing King, Lord of Five Thousand Years). Old rivalries quickly came to the fore, and soon these men were spending as much time fighting with each other as they were with the armies of the Qing . . . (5)

Excerpted from “The Saturday Night Massacre: Inside the Taiping Coup,” by Archibald Cox. Washington: Watergate Press, 1974.

- The internecine rivalries that had plagued the Heavenly Kingdom since its inception came to a head on the night of September 1, 1854 in the famous 周六半夜大屠杀 - Zhouliu banye datusha, or Saturday Night Massacre - as it has come to be called by Western scholars; Taiping historians prefer the more anodyne 天京事件 (Tianjing Incident). Regardless of the term used to describe the events of that night, they were anything but incidental. Since the fall of Nanjing, Eastern King Yang Xiuqing had steadily amassed power to the point where had earned the enmity not only of his longtime rival, Northern King Wei Changhui, but also of Hong Xiuquan himself. Yang and Hong had fundamental disagreements regarding the scale of the reforms to be implemented in the Heavenly Kingdom; unlike Hong, Yang thought that Confucianism was compatible with the Taiping brand of heterodox Christianity. After one incident in which Yang suggested to Hong that the two of them should be regarded as equals, the Heavenly King decided that enough was enough, and ordered Wei Changhui, Qin Rigang and Shi Dakai to kill Yang Xiuqing and all of his followers. Ironically, the Saturday Night Massacre actually began on the previous day – Friday, August 31 – when Wei and Qin’s troops entered Tianjing (Shi Dakai had yet to arrive) and descended on Yang’s residence – only to discover that their arrival had been anticipated. Yang’s labyrinthine network of spies had alerted him to the coming storm, and thus the armies of Wei and Qin were greeted with organized resistance from Yang’s followers. A night of battle ensued under the red lanterns in the streets of Tianjing. Wei and Qin’s forces eventually gained the upper hand and forced the Yang loyalists into a fighting retreat to the outskirts of the city, but were unable to consummate the victory. As dawn broke they moved through the now-ruined western quarter of Tianjing, summarily executing all those sympathetic to Yang who were still left – and some others who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Shi Dakai, the Wing King, Lord of Five Thousand Years, arrived at noon the following day with his army. Though his orders stated in no uncertain terms that he was to do away with Yang Xiuqing, upon his arrival Shi attempted mediation between the two sides, hoping that a settlement could be reached. His attempts were for nought, and after receiving several increasingly irate messages from the Heavenly King telling him to get on with it, Shi prepared to complete the defeat of Yang Xiuqing. As Shi was organizing the disposition of his forces, a bedraggled servant from his household stumbled into camp and delivered the news that Shi’s entire family had been killed – executed by Wei and Qin’s forces the night before. Though revisionist historians have suggested that the servant – whose name is lost to posterity – was in fact one of Yang’s many spies, there is no evidence to support this contention, and in any case his report was indisputably correct. That evening, when Shi Dakai did make his attack, it was not against the Yang loyalists, but was rather a surprise descent on the unprepared armies of Wei and Qin. What ensued was not a battle, but a rout. Qin Rigang was killed in the engagement, while Wei Changhui was captured and executed the following day; he was strapped to the mouth of a cannon which was then fired. Chronicler 邢立臣 (Xing Lichen) later wrote, “A haze of blood filled the sky, and for three days thereafter the crows feasted on the man who had once been the King of the North.” Shi Dakai and Yang Xiuqing met in a dilapidated teahouse in the southern quarter of Tianjing at the stroke of midnight, after their shared adversaries had been crushed. No record of what was said at that meeting survives, but their actions thereafter speak for themselves. For Hong Xiuquan never again left the Palace of the Heavenly King . . . (6)

NOTES
(1) The 天地会was a secret society dedicated to overthrowing the Qing Dynasty and restoring the Ming Dynasty.

(2) So named because it was the capital of China for a few hundred years, until the 永乐 (Yongle) Emperor moved it to Beijing because . . . well, because he felt like it, and he was the emperor.

(3) This timeline’s version of the Rape of Nanjing happens a little earlier. The “author” of this “excerpt” is more than a little biased – there were only light massacres in reality, and the city was definitely not sacked or anything.

(4) This would be another great starting point for a Taiping Rebellion timeline, as there was a significant chance that had the Taiping gone for the jugular, the Qing would have collapsed. Needless to say, I’m going in a different direction.

(5) They were a fractious bunch, those Taiping.

(6) So obviously, this is the point of divergence. Originally I had planned a series of small events instead of one big thing, but I kept on landing here. Quite a bit of what I described actually happened in the real world: Hong and Yang had a falling out, and Hong ordered the others to get rid of him. Our first divergence is that in the real world, Yang was taken unawares. I have him finding out about the plot in advance due to his network of spies (which he was indeed famed for). Likewise, Shi Dakai did in fact show up late to the party, and his entire family was actually killed by Wei Changhui’s troops, and he did really turn and destroy Wei and Qin’s armies. The big difference is that in the real world, Yang was already dead, so Shi wasn’t technically disobeying Hong. In my timeline Yang is still alive, so when Shi learns of the deaths of his family and goes apeshit, he’s also aiding Yang Xiuqing and in effect pitting himself against Hong Xiuquan. Thus, he and Yang cooperate and stage a quasi-coup (it’s a bit complicated, as will be explained in the next entry) out of self-preservation as much as anything else – it was either Hong or them. Other divergences in this POD: the real Tianjing Incident took place in 1856; mine occurs in 1854. Furthermore, in real life the incident unfolded over a period of weeks. I compressed the timeline of the events, more for simplicity’s sake than anything else, as I couldn’t keep track of when everything was supposed to be happening. Hey, it’s alternate history, right?

I know that’s a rather long-winded explanation, but especially since the POD is so dramatic I feel compelled to provide some justification for it. I think I’m on reasonably solid ground here, given that a lot of what I described actually did take place, but comments, suggestions and criticism are all welcome. The next update is coming on Thursday. And thanks to everyone who's commented so far.